Author Topic: Unearthed Arcana: Its Alive?  (Read 1400 times)

Offline Wilb

• Elder Lurker
    • View Profile
Lovely Zoma...

Offline adamnsm1

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
Re: Unearthed Arcana: Its Alive?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2019, 12:06:17 AM »
Tbh even though I mostly just lurked, I kind of missed this forum.

Anyway I think Way of the Astral self looks really strong. 6 attacks a turn with Wis as its primary stat? Only requires ki to activate too, with no rest limit. I think Fighter 3/AS 17 would be really simple and strong, maybe Samurai. Potentially could also do a grappler build  with Wis instead of Str?

Path of the Wild Soul didn't look too interesting; I mostly just scanned it to see if anything could combo well with other spellcasting classes, didn't see anything though. Magic reserves might have decent utility on the right team? Also no rest limit.

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
Re: Unearthed Arcana: Its Alive?
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2019, 02:59:50 PM »
I started reading linearly, and was thinking hey these first two paragraphs of Wild Soul, sounds a lot like the 3.5e Wilder.  And then (linearly) I read Wild Surge ...  :P

3 detect magic is a bog standard.
3 WS too bad it's random, Barb doesn't have enough choices to complement and pair with any given result
14 WS most tables don't have a d7 sitting around, presumeably bonus actions are being used better than this everyround
... but 20 = ping it around to what you want and go to town.
14 could be boosted a lot.
10 yeah good to have , grumble damage is least useful blah blah c.o. from once-upon-a-time
6 --- it didn't take long for giantitp to get the heal hp # up above the damage # = insta recharge.  Using hp as a spell battery is interesting and potentially (but not mandatorily) better than the Spell Banks like animate dead, bad sorlock, and glyph cheese ... but it's so soo soooooo much easier.  Warlocks slinging lots of 5s isn't reported as borknyborkny, but recharge on 6s messes with their late game maths.  Lots to work on.  But ohh I wanna play one.

Astral
3 hey 'bout time they did a real Wis Monk.  Using Wis for grappling?  Maintain grapple and use 'arms' wis 10' for attacks?!  Extra damage as they've said they want is fine, so where're all the leftover Ki points gonna go ...
6 ... right here decent out-of-combat boost 10 minutes per hour for 1 ki
11 hmm some spellcasters might be interested in and try to use the 600' V range, not a lot of monk/caster multiclasses til now
17 more combat
definitely could streamline, and get more astral-y non combat goodies = "I didn't know monk could do that" is a good thing.
Your codpiece is a mimic.