Author Topic: Mutterings Beyond The Gate [OOC]  (Read 26071 times)

Offline Garryl

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
Re: Mutterings Beyond The Gate [OOC]
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2017, 07:20:08 PM »
Is a Guard Trained Mule too cheesy?

Yeah, kind of. It's not so much that I'm afraid of you training your pack mules to kick anybody that hassles them when you leave them behind at the dungeon entrance (that's fine), I'm just afraid that it might be a prelude to taking a bunch of attack mules into battle with you. That way lies madness.

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2017, 07:23:07 PM »
Is a Guard Trained Mule too cheesy?

Yeah, kind of. It's not so much that I'm afraid of you training your pack mules to kick anybody that hassles them when you leave them behind at the dungeon entrance (that's fine), I'm just afraid that it might be a prelude to taking a bunch of attack mules into battle with you. That way lies madness.
Oh, are we using a Madness mechanic? What about a bunch of peace mules? Or, maybe some mules with Wisps of Creation, because creation is the opposite of war? Would that reduce our Madness score?

:lmao
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
  • "Insight is the sudden cessation of stupidity."
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2017, 08:50:09 PM »
Hey peeps. Sorry about the absence. WIP sheet is posted.

As far as invocations go, what do we need? BFC / Buffing? I was thinking something like Barkskin and Entangle.

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2017, 09:04:18 PM »

As far as invocations go, what do we need? BFC / Buffing? I was thinking something like Barkskin and Entangle.
I have entangling exhalation and color spray. Do you have other options for bfc?

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
  • "Insight is the sudden cessation of stupidity."
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2017, 09:28:40 PM »

I have entangling exhalation and color spray. Do you have other options for bfc?

Fog Cloud is the other BFC option on this list. Could also go with a utility invocation. Woodworking (Warp Wood + Wood Shape)? Endure Elements? Hidden From Nature (basically pass w/o trace, and undetectable to a nature-themed creature type)?

Offline dman

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2017, 10:05:49 PM »

That's why I only asked for one.

Offline dman

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2017, 10:08:24 PM »
A war mule is so much more cost effective than buying a guard dog...or hiring a 3rd level warrior and it can carry all of your stuff.

Could you kindly suggest a fair use of Handle Animal +1 skill +5 Cha +5 minor aura +1 major aura at first level?

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2017, 10:19:14 PM »
On the BFC front, although it's not quite as widespread as fog, both myself and my cohort are specced with reach weapons and combat reflexes. Between us, we have 4 AoOs a round and the ability to swap places with enemies we hit. And one person in melee range of the AoO generating creature gets a free attack against it as well, potentially. That should be enough to keep most frontliners a little worried.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2017, 10:34:41 PM »
I have no BFC.  I have pew-pew and random utility.

Offline dman

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2017, 01:07:54 AM »
FITS,

Go enrage animal, so we can realize our army of raging barbarian peace mules! :lol

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2017, 01:26:02 PM »
Are there any languages common to the Irim Dwegsho-in-exile that would actually be used in the game?

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2017, 01:32:09 PM »
Are there any languages common to the Irim Dwegsho-in-exile that would actually be used in the game?
Semaphore

Offline dman

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2017, 05:01:19 PM »
Baby hippogriff?
Tamed wolf?
Celestial badger?
Celestial dog?
Dog with elite array?
Badger with elite array?
Free guard dog?
Full price dog?
A smelly rat?

Some level appropriate creature unique to your world?

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2017, 05:19:48 PM »
Semaphore

that would actually be used in the game

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 12, 2017, 05:39:38 PM »
Semaphore

Honestly, any language would be used in the game if you make a point to use it in the game :D

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 12, 2017, 06:18:51 PM »
Semaphore

Honestly, any language would be used in the game if you make a point to use it in the game :D

I'm not going to run around waving flags in the air hoping that someone will wave flags back.   :P

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 12, 2017, 07:04:33 PM »
I'm not going to run around waving flags in the air hoping that someone will wave flags back.   :P

I'll wear one on my head so it looks like I care? :P

Offline Garryl

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 12, 2017, 08:03:10 PM »

Not really. You might occasionally run across some technical manuals or literature in Engi, Urtragian, Old Irit, or Galactic Standard, but those aren't exactly frequent outside the Dwegsho. Most everyone educated or who travels or deals with travellers knows Anshari Common (which evolved from the drow trade language in ages past). In short: No, it is very unlikely.

That said, this discussion on languages has got me thinking about giving everyone a free language corresponding to their place of origin, for flavor/worldbuilding purposes. Anshar's isolated valleys does produce a greater diversity of cultures than D&D's standard language system assumes. It's not something I expect or intend to come up, and I definitely don't want to play the translator game, but it's the sort of thing that would happen in a world like this.

Offline dman

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 13, 2017, 12:40:40 AM »
On the BFC front, although it's not quite as widespread as fog, both myself and my cohort are specced with reach weapons and combat reflexes. Between us, we have 4 AoOs a round and the ability to swap places with enemies we hit. And one person in melee range of the AoO generating creature gets a free attack against it as well, potentially. That should be enough to keep most frontliners a little worried.

I'll have a bit of tripability as well and everyone can get +5 to trips with strength aura, so we should be pretty effective at knocking guys down.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 13, 2017, 06:48:02 AM »

I'll have a bit of tripability as well and everyone can get +5 to trips with strength aura, so we should be pretty effective at knocking guys down.

Might have to switch back to the Guisarme then. Because that bonus would mean there's a decent chance for it to work.