Author Topic: Martial Discipline Compendium  (Read 112423 times)

Offline Bozwevial

• Epic Member
  • Developing a relaxed attitude toward danger
    • View Profile
Re: Martial Discipline Compendium
« Reply #60 on: September 01, 2012, 03:17:48 PM »
Excellent! Although you misspelled my name. :P
Homebrew Compendiums: D&D 3.5 4e/PF
IRC: #mmxgeneral on Rizon

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 01, 2012, 05:12:39 PM »
Excellent! Although you misspelled my name. :P

:bigeyes I don't know what you're talking about...  :hide
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
  • "Insight is the sudden cessation of stupidity."
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 15, 2012, 09:55:36 PM »
This link has a couple Disciplines you don't have.

Also, I'm thinking about porting over Nifft's Disclipines (which you already have), to make them much easier to use (right now, the blurbs and descriptions are very far apart).  What's the correct process for that?

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 15, 2012, 09:57:42 PM »
Why thank you vry much.

EDIT: Lol.  There are 3 that I don't have; the first two don't actually exist, and the third has a broken link.

Also, I'm thinking about porting over Nifft's Disclipines (which you already have), to make them much easier to use (right now, the blurbs and descriptions are very far apart).  What's the correct process for that?

I would say just do it and give credit (call the post "Nifft's Disciplines" or something), and put a blurb at the top saying "These are posted verbatim; I'm happy to turn this over to Nifft if/when he ever appears on the boards".
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 10:02:00 PM by sirpercival »

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
  • "Insight is the sudden cessation of stupidity."
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 15, 2012, 10:54:51 PM »
Why thank you vry much.

EDIT: Lol.  There are 3 that I don't have; the first two don't actually exist, and the third has a broken link.

:lol  Oops.  Sorry to waste your time.

I would say just do it and give credit (call the post "Nifft's Disciplines" or something), and put a blurb at the top saying "These are posted verbatim; I'm happy to turn this over to Nifft if/when he ever appears on the boards".

Will do.  Once they're up, I post the link here.

EDIT: Links!

(Main Thread)
Crescent Moon
Dancing Fox
Heaven's Arc
Jade Viper
Sanguine Lotus
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 07:55:24 PM by FireInTheSky »

Offline Drammor

• Seer of Void
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 17, 2012, 07:13:02 AM »
EvilVegan's Crystalline Unicorn and Inner Light both appear to have maneuver blurb lists, but no actual record of the described maneuvers. Am I missing them somewhere, or is that all there is to it? And, if it is, should those disciplines be in purple text?
[20:32] <DonQuixote> A POX UPON YOU ALL!
[20:32] <DonQuixote> YOU, J, FOR STEALING THE PURITY OF NORNS.
[20:32] <DonQuixote> YOU, DRAMMOR, FOR ENSNARING ME IN THIS FIENDISH PRISON.

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 17, 2012, 07:51:10 AM »
EvilVegan's Crystalline Unicorn and Inner Light both appear to have maneuver blurb lists, but no actual record of the described maneuvers. Am I missing them somewhere, or is that all there is to it? And, if it is, should those disciplines be in purple text?

Hmm... that's a problem.  It seems the descriptions may have been lost to the boards...

Good catch.  I'll mark them purple.

Offline Drammor

• Seer of Void
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 17, 2012, 08:36:25 AM »
Awww, man. That is completely not the answer I was actually hoping for. I really liked Crystalline Unicorn, because it wasn't half as repetitive as Phoenix Unicorn, and was an actual healing discipline.

Edit: Sirpercival, you seem to make martial disciplines. This might just be the 5:30 in the Morning/Haven't Slept Yet talking, but if anyone was going to flesh those out, I would totally nominate you.

...also, I really need help with the Fox and Tree discipline. It's kicking my mental butt.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 08:39:17 AM by Drammor »

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 17, 2012, 08:42:28 AM »
Awww, man. That is completely not the answer I was actually hoping for. I really liked Crystalline Unicorn, because it wasn't half as repetitive as Phoenix Unicorn, and was an actual healing discipline.
Sorry...

Edit: Sirpercival, you seem to make martial disciplines. This might just be the 5:30 in the Morning/Haven't Slept Yet talking, but if anyone was going to flesh those out, I would totally nominate you.
I could take a look at it, I guess... My to-do list is insanely long as is, though.

...also, I really need help with the Fox and Tree discipline. It's kicking my mental butt.
What do you have already?

Offline Drammor

• Seer of Void
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 17, 2012, 08:55:31 AM »
Sorry...
That's really quite alright. It's not as though you could help it.

I could take a look at it, I guess... My to-do list is insanely long as is, though.
A friend just revived some parts of my brain with the recipe for a basic raspberry custard. I'm going to use it to surprise my wife with raspberry custard shortcakes tomorrow, but now it occurs to me that's completely unrelated. What is related is that you are right, and there's no reason to extend your to-do list unnecessarily. Goodness knows it leads only to a ruination of time not unlike getting lost in TVtropes.

What do you have already?
Currently? Mild sleep deprivation and a more than mild silly. :)
Oh wait, that is definitely not what you meant. Well, it would take more than ten minutes to really say, but... no wait, I'll just copy over what I have on the gitp forums about it and put it in a spoiler. And then stop thinking out loud via typing whatever is on my mind.

(click to show/hide)

Edit: Oh wait. There's technically more I have. Here, another spoiler, with the other things I have, which are also just notes.
(click to show/hide)

I think that after all is said and done, Fox and Tree would require a character that knows every maneuver to know ~82 different languages to utilize it to its maximum effect.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 05:17:18 PM by Drammor »

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
  • Thread Necromancy a specialty
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 17, 2012, 10:57:02 AM »
You know, if I can get off my ass and finish them, I have a Vile discipline and a COMMONER discipline that I need to finish, hough the second one is probably a wash.
"There is happiness for those who accept their fate, there is glory for those that defy it."

"Now that everyone's so happy, this is probably a good time to tell you I ate your parents."

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 17, 2012, 12:26:40 PM »
Questions about Fox & Tree.

~How do Tongues, Comprehend Languages, Polyglot, and similar abilities affect this?
~What class do you intend this for?  There are some feats which give out extra languages, but few classes based around it.
~Does the discipline function when you're silenced?
~What if you know Dark Speech or Words of Creation?

Offline Drammor

• Seer of Void
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 17, 2012, 04:47:42 PM »
Questions about Fox & Tree.

~How do Tongues, Comprehend Languages, Polyglot, and similar abilities affect this?
~What class do you intend this for?  There are some feats which give out extra languages, but few classes based around it.
~Does the discipline function when you're silenced?
~What if you know Dark Speech or Words of Creation?
~"Only a character's automatic starting languages, bonus languages for high intelligence score, languages acquired through the Speak Language skill, and languages acquired selectively through class features, extraordinary abilities or feats count for purposes of initiating Fox and Tree maneuvers. Understanding and use of a language granted by spells, spell-like abilities, supernatural abilities and the epic Polyglot feat are never counted when determining the effects of a Fox and Tree maneuver." -- top of the second spoiler

~ToB classes? Swordsage and Crusader, but recommended less for the second. Non-ToB, any class which learns languages for 1 skill point each. Naturally, it does reduce the cost of languages to 1 skill point each for the crusaders and swordsages who do take it.

~Yes, although most of the augmentations do not. The augmentations of any language that cannot be spoken out loud in the first place are not affected (and thus have slightly modified rules, noted in the individual maneuvers, anyway), just as are those of any languages that are conveyed sub-sonically.

~Dark Speech, Truespeak and Words of Creation are just more languages to Fox and Tree. They have unusual learning requirements, and though I don't think I have it recorded, the discipline's "basic" feat allows a character to learn, hear and speak both Dark Speech and Words of Creation without the alignment restrictions  (although if a character is the wrong alignment, they still cannot use its special functions) and learn Truespeak as a class skill. Due the to special natures of learning these languages, their augmentation effects are more powerful than the others, per the level of the maneuvers they belong to.

Edit: Also, I am very pleased to see that all of your questions were issues I had already thought of and had answers for! :)

You know, if I can get off my ass and finish them, I have a Vile discipline and a COMMONER discipline that I need to finish, hough the second one is probably a wash.

Hey, if you're keen on actually making disciplines, it may be worth your while to know that all of Appraise, Climb, Decipher Script, Handle Animal, Iaijutsu Focus, Lucid Dreaming, Open Lock, Psicraft, Speak Language, Use Magic Device and Use Psionic Device have not been used to make any complete disciplines, yet.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 05:24:19 PM by Drammor »

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
  • Thread Necromancy a specialty
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 17, 2012, 06:57:33 PM »
I'm still working on the decipher script one, damn it!

Wait... BRILLIANCE!
"There is happiness for those who accept their fate, there is glory for those that defy it."

"Now that everyone's so happy, this is probably a good time to tell you I ate your parents."

Offline Drammor

• Seer of Void
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 17, 2012, 08:45:46 PM »
I'm still working on the decipher script one, damn it!

Wait... BRILLIANCE!
Yeah, and I'm still working on the ones for both iaijutsu focus and speak language, but that still doesn't mean they're complete. :P

It would probably help progress if D&D weren't a tertiary activity for me, though. Seriously, there's a chain of activities. It's work on my primary game, my secondary game, the tcg of the primary game, the diet version of the same; write on a roleplay forum, do housework, organize RPs on a roleplay forum and then; work on D&D stuff. I mean, there is other stuff after that, but my point is that it takes me a while to get this far, so mostly things just wait around for me to be interested again. And by interested, I mean tired of doing everything else that's more important.

Offline Bozwevial

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 17, 2012, 09:08:43 PM »
Hey, if you're keen on actually making disciplines, it may be worth your while to know that all of Appraise, Climb, Decipher Script, Handle Animal, Iaijutsu Focus, Lucid Dreaming, Open Lock, Psicraft, Speak Language, Use Magic Device and Use Psionic Device have not been used to make any complete disciplines, yet.
Working on it, actually.

Offline Drammor

• Seer of Void
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 17, 2012, 10:11:38 PM »
Thank you, Boz. That is surely the one I want to see happen the most, out of any and all possible disciplines... a Lucid Dreaming discipline.

Offline Bozwevial

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 17, 2012, 10:14:30 PM »
Any particular effects you want to see? Right now it's heavy on the memory-dream duality and light on the bringing-dreams-to-life bit, but I could splinter the memory thing into its own discipline if need be.

Offline Drammor

• Seer of Void
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 17, 2012, 10:18:36 PM »
Any particular effects you want to see? Right now it's heavy on the memory-dream duality and light on the bringing-dreams-to-life bit, but I could splinter the memory thing into its own discipline if need be.

Oh, uh... hmm. See, I've never taken up the attempt because I never thought I'd have the ability to do such a discipline justice. I had always imagined it might be stance heavy, but... hold on. This is supposed to be a compendium. I'm going to go start another thread real quick. There's enough of this stuff floating about to deserve its own thread, anyway.

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 17, 2012, 10:19:56 PM »
Working on it, actually.

Actually.... Handle Animal should be for Essence of Gaia.  So I'll cover that one.