Author Topic: Legends  (Read 9731 times)

Offline Monotremeancer

• View Profile
Re: Legends
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2011, 09:04:50 AM »
Ideas for vulnerabilities
Force: An easy way out
The absence of oxygen: Since fire is technically not an element, but a reaction. It's kind of obscure, but should you reach the point where you have to fight this guy, you should be able to handle it.
Blue: The Lantern Corps did it *shrugs*
I'm what's staring back from the abyss.
How come you guys never wave?

Please send me a PM if you give me kudos. I'm interested in what I'm doing right.

Offline veekie

• Spinner of Fortunes
  • Epic Member
  • Chaos Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2011, 11:45:23 AM »
Kinda stumped too, nonstandard energy types make some sense, but you could make it straight out negative energy or just count on resistance penetrating energy damage.
Everything is edible. Just that there are things only edible once per lifetime.
It's a god-eat-god world.

Procrastination is the thief of time; Year after year it steals, till all are fled,
And to the mercies of a moment leaves; The vast concerns of an eternal scene.

Offline radmelon

• Ashbless ftw!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2011, 02:05:13 PM »
Negative energy?

Offline veekie

• Spinner of Fortunes
  • Epic Member
  • Chaos Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2011, 02:40:01 PM »
Raw death effect basically, stars die when they run out of fuel. Neg energy sorta reflects that.

Procrastination is the thief of time; Year after year it steals, till all are fled,

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2011, 04:16:52 PM »
FUck it, lets run with that it makes sense enough

Now I just gotta figure cr for this sucker

Offline radmelon

• Ashbless ftw!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2011, 05:43:14 PM »
Raw death effect basically, stars die when they run out of fuel. Neg energy sorta reflects that.
Actually, I hadn't seen your post. I was suggesting neg energy myself for pretty much those reasons.  :tongue

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2011, 05:01:33 AM »
Any guesses on CR/LA for Primal Ghost?

Offline veekie

• Spinner of Fortunes
  • Epic Member
  • Chaos Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2011, 01:09:52 AM »
Hmm, tough call, but given the potential attacks, it'd be at the teen CRs no matter what, and for stuff already in the CR 12+ range, I'd say the upgrades warrant a +2 CR or so.

Offline Monotremeancer

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2012, 05:18:20 PM »
I has a request  0:) I think it belongs in this thread.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mogo

Please send me a PM if you give me kudos. I'm interested in what I'm doing right.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2012, 05:28:55 PM »
I'm not sure about how to go about doing a planet,...

Offline Monotremeancer

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2012, 05:34:14 PM »
Me neither to be honest (at least not a.t.m.). I'll think it over and get back with some ideas

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2017, 09:10:50 PM »
Legendary Wights were fairly powerful individuals in life.

LEGENDARY WIGHT

Legendary Wight is an Acquired Template that can be applied to any corporeal creature of CR 15+, with the exception of Constructs, Oozes and Undead.

Size and Type: Size is unchanged, Type becomes Undead.

Hit Dice:
Change Hit Dice to d12's and recalculate hit points.

Speed: Increase all movement speeds by +10 ft.

Armor Class:
The Legendary Wight gets a Natural Armor Bonus equal to it's Hit Dice.

Attacks: If the base creature has no natural attacks it gains a Slam attack.  The Legendary Wight's BAB is now equal to it's Hit Dice, if it wasn't already.

Damage: The damage from the Wights Slam attack depends on it's Size: Fine or Diminutive (1 pt.), Tiny (1d2 plus Str), Small (1d3 plus Str), Medium (1d4 plus Str), Large (1d6 plus Str), Huge (1d8 plus Str), Gargantuan (2d6 plus Str), Colossal (2d8 plus Str).

Special Attacks: Retains all Special Attacks of the base creature, plus gains the following:

Energy Drain (Su):  Any successful hit by the Wight's Natural attacks (or with the weapon it primarily used in life) bestows 1 negative level.  The Fortitude Save to remove the Level is 10 plus 1/2 Hit Dice plus Cha Modifier.

Create Spawn (Su):Any living being killed by the Legendary Wight rises as a Wraith under it's control within 1d4 days (assuming the victim qualifies for the Wight template).

Terrifying Appearance (Su): Any living being within 60' of the Legendary Wight must make a Fortitude Save or take 1d4 points of Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution damage. If the save is made successfully, the opponent is immune to this particular Legendary Wights Terrifying Appearance for 24 hours.

Special Qualities: Retains all Special Attacks of the base creature, plus gains the following:

Turn Immunity (Ex):You are Immune to Turn/Rebuke Undead attempts.

Unnatural Aura (Su): Animals will not come within 100' of a Legendary Wight, and Panic if forced to do so (they remain Panicked so long as the Legendary Wraith is within Range).

Lifesense (Ex): Legendary Wights may automatically sense Living creatures within 100' as thought they had Blindsight. They also automatically know the strength of their life force as if they had cast Deathwatch.

Damage Reduction: The Legendary Wight has Damage Reduction 10/Epic.

Deathly Power (Ex): The Save DC's of all your special attacks are +4. If you have spells, spell-like abilities, or supernatural abilities from a class these are included as well.

Spell Resistance (Ex): The Legendary Wight gains Spell Resistance equal to 10 plus half its hit Dice plus its Charisma modifier.

Saves: Unchanged.

Abilities: +8 Str, +8 Dex, +4 Int, +6 Wis, +8 Cha.  Being an Undead the Wight has no Con Score.

Skills: Gains a Racial Bonus to Move Silently Checks equal to the base creatures Hit Dice.

Feats: Unchanged.

Environment: Any

Organization: Unchanged, usually solitary.

Challenge Rating: +4

Treasure: Unchanged.

Alignment:
Usually Lawful Evil.

Advancement: Unchanged.

Level Adjustment: +9

Example of creature using template here:

Lord Vail (15th Level Knight/Epic Wight)
                      Medium Undead
Hit Dice:             15d12 (97 hp)
Initiative:           +8
Speed:                40 ft. (8 squares)
Armor Class:          29 (+4 Dex, +15 Natural), touch 14, flat-footed 25
Base Attack/Grapple:  +15/+23
Attack:               Slam +23 melee (1d4+8 plus energy drain) or +3 Longsword +26 melee (1d8+7/19-20 plus energy drain)
Full Attack:          Slam +23 melee (1d4+8 plus energy drain) or +3 Longsword +26/+21/+16 melee (1d8+7/19-20 plus energy drain)
Space/Reach:          5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks:      Energy Drain, Create Spawn, Terrifying Appearance, Fighting Challenge +3, Knights Challenge
Special Qualities:    Undead traits, Darkvision 60', Turn Immunity, Unnatural Aura, Lifesense, DR 10/Epic, Deathly Power, SR 23, Shiled Block +2, Knights Code, Bulwark of Defense, Armor Mastery (Heavy), Vigilant Defender, Improved Shield Ally
Saves:                Fort +7, Ref +9, Will +15
Abilities:            Str 26, Dex 18, Con -, Int 12, Wis 18, Cha 22
Skills:               Climb +18, Intimidate +16, Jump +18, Knowledge (Nobility) +11, Move Silently +19, Ride +14, Swim +12
Feats:                Cleave, Improved Energy Drain, Improved Initiative, Life Drain, Necrotic Reserve, Positive Energy Resistance, Power Attack, Great Fortitude (B), Iron Will (B), Mounted Combat (B), Quick-Draw (B)
Environment:          Any
Organization:         Solitary
Challenge Rating:     19
Treasure:             Standard
Alignment:            Lawful Evil
Advancement:          By Character Class
Level Adjustment:     +9
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 10:07:37 PM by bhu »

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2022, 07:07:47 PM »
Centhahx
                      Huge Construct
Hit Dice:             30d10+40 (205 hp)
Initiative:           +8
Speed:                10 ft. (2 squares), 40 ft. (Perfect)
Armor Class:          26 (-2 Size, +18 Natural), touch 8, flat-footed 26
Base Attack/Grapple:  +22/+36
Attack:               Bite +26 melee (3d6+9) and Eye Rays +20 ranged touch (varies)
Full Attack:          Bite +26 melee (3d6+9) and Eye Rays +20 ranged touch (varies)
Space/Reach:          15 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks:      Configuration, Eye Rays, Central Eye
Special Qualities:    Flight, Darkvision 120 ft., Low-light Vision, DR 15/Adamantine, Energy Resistance 10 (Acid, Cold, Electricity, Fire, Sonic), Fast Repair, Immunity to Magic, Construct traits
Saves:                Fort +16, Ref +10, Will +19
Abilities:            Str 22, Dex 10, Con -, Int 19, Wis 17, Cha 17
Skills:               Decipher Script +24, Intimidate +21, Knowledge (Arcana, Dungeoneering, Geography, History) +24, Listen +25, Search +28, Spot +28, Use Magic Device +23
Feats:                Alertness, Epic Fortitude, Epic Will, Flyby Attack, Great Fortitude, Improved Flyby Attack, Improved Initiative, Iron Will, Snatch, Superior Initiative, Wingover
Environment:          Any
Organization:         Unique
Challenge Rating:     <##>
Treasure:             Double Standard
Alignment:            Lawful Evil
Advancement:          31+HD (Huge)
Level Adjustment:     ---

"Legend has it that there was once a tinkerer and maker of fine clockwork automatons who went by the name of Le Fourier.  People came from far and wide to avail themselves of his services, which he would exchange both  for monetary gain, and esoteric knowledge.  Were it not for the power of his benefactors, we would have murdered him in the streets.  Le Fourier was well known for his...appetites.  Things were seen and heard on his estate, the like of which I will not describe here."

"One day, he went up into the hills, claiming he had found the information that would lead to the culmination of his life's work.  His newest patron had a foreign sounding name.  Centhahx.  None of us ever met him, and that was likely for the best.  Clouds of foul smelling chemicals would roll down the hills, blighting the crops, and making folk sick.  Our drinking water became polluted with strange ichors.  Horrifying noises and strange lights emanated from the hilltops at night.  We left.  We couldn't dare confront him, and the town was being poisoned.  We didn't go back for years.  Not until an explosion so loud it could be heard for miles away happened."

"A few of the bravest of us snuck up into the hills, and found a pyramidal structure.  We thought it might be some sort of tomb.  That wasn't exactly correct, but it wasn't wrong either.  It was a labyrinth of tunnels, but thankfully the mage found the heart of it.  We were not prepared for what awaited us.  We entered the central chamber as a portal closed, just in time for us to miss whatever monstrous alien things went through it.  The corpse of another of their number was bubbling away.  It had too many eyes for my liking.  A gigantic clockwork monstrosity was set into the back wall.  A many eyed sphere with a great maw.  The central eye was closed, with a key protruding from it.  We found Le Fourier in the corner.  I have no idea how he was alive.  He was nearly mummified, like all the moisture had left his body.  Talking to him was the most terrifying thing I have ever done, and the things he said haunt me still.  He said his new patron had come from a Far Realm, and it wanted things in exchange for it's secrets.  Things he no longer wanted to give.  The clockwork was a body for it in our world, as it was unable to physically exist here.  But Le Fourier said he had made a trap within the automaton.  A puzzling set of gears that rearranged the clockworks physical structure if anyone inserted the key and manipulated the gears correctly.  The clockwork was Centhahx, and in it's current configuration it was held in stasis.  He told us to take the key and hide it where it couldn't be found.  That there would be those who wanted to awaken the beast to make use of it's power.  Centhahx's cult of followers had seen to that.  And then he shriveled up into dust, and blew away on a wind none of the rest of us felt."

"We tried destroying both the pyramid and key, but nothing we did worked, not even the worst spells.  We buried both in different places.  But whispers have recently come to me that the pyramid is being excavated, which means they'll be coming for the key too, and I cannot defend it anymore.  I'm dying.  As my last act, I am giving you this map to the key.  Make sure to re-bury it somewhere else, and tell no one where it is until you pass it onto your son.  Go now, and disappear.  This will be our last conversation."

"And son?  I...I'm sorry for this.  You have no idea how much."

Centhahx was a Far Realms Beholder cursed by one of the Powers of that place to be trapped there forever, bound in service.  Should Centhahx try to leave, it's flesh would boil away.  Fortunately for it, Le Fourier was an incredibly powerful Wizard, and he wanted the secrets of the Far Realm badly.  He promised Le Fourier both knowledge and power if the man could make it a body to transfer it's consciousness into.  Le Fourier agreed, but tricked Centhahx.  He gave the new body a weakness: a puzzle that locked away the spirit installed within the clockwork, and would only let it free temporarily once solved.  Once Centhahx transferred itself to the clockwork, the minions of it's former master arrived slew all present before leaving.  Much like everyone else they found Centhahx's new form to be quite indestructible.  Le Fourier lived long enough to pass on the key, hoping it would keep Centhahx locked away forever.  He'd already made sure the geometry of the body would hopefully never allow Centhahx access to it's true power again.  Centhahx's followers eventually found Le Fouriers notes, and have worked for decades to resurrect their old master.  They spread rumors far and wide, designed to trap the unwary in search of power, revenge or a life restored.

Configuration (Su): If one has the key, one can manipulate the clockwork mechanism on the front of Centhahx.  It changes into one of 6 different configurations, each one unlocking a different aspect of the creature.  If one lacks the proper knowledge to choose a particular configuration, roll on the following chart:

1: Balance This is the standard stasis mode in which Centhahx "sleeps".  In this configuration, Centhahx is unconscious and unaware, trapped in it's clockwork prison.
2 Beacon: This configuration sounds an alarm both auditory and metaphysical.  This alarms sounds across the Planes, and attracts extraplanar beings (1 or more Mooncalves arrive via Gate within 1d4 rounds).  Centhahx has spread the rumor that this configuration leads to forbidden knowledge that will smite the user in order to prevent his former masters from realizing people are trying to (probably unknowingly) resurrect him.  This configuration is intended to alert the Far Realm for that very purpose..
3 Butcher: This configuration awakens a nearly mindless version of Centhahx (Int 3, Wis 11, Cha 1), who asks the keyholder who it wants revenge upon.  It will then murder the keyholder, and everything in its path until it kills the target.  Once the target is dead, Centhahx awakens fully (with it's normal mental ability scores) for 1d6 days before returning to stasis.  If it cannot find the target after one week, it returns to it's lair and shuts down.  It has spread the rumor that this configuration grants revenge for the asker, but leaves out the price it exacts.
4 Bias: This configuration awakens a weaker, robotic Centhahx (Int 8, Wis 11, Cha 5) that obeys the keyholder until that keyholder dies.  When the keyholder passes (which Centhahx will do it's best to arrange), Centhahx awakens fully (with it's normal mental ability scores) for an amount of time equal to the time it spent in servitude.  It then returns to stasis.  Centhahx has spread the rumor that this configuration grants total dominion over him.
5 Beneficiary: This configuration allows Centhahx to possess a corpse placed no more than 30 feet from it.  This corpse has the abilities of the original base creature with the Zombie template, but with Centhahx's mental ability scores and skills.  This possession lasts for 1d6 weeks, and then the magic holding the body together unravels, and Centhahx returns to it's clockwork body.   Centhahx has spread the rumor that this configuration allows for true resurrection.
6: Beholder Centhahx awakens, and is able to do as itwill (which will likely be to kill everyone present and take the key).  It cannot return to stasis, unless someone with the proper knowledge inserts the key and manipulates the gears properly (or just rolls randomly and takes their best shot).  This takes a Full Round Action.  It has spread rumors that this configuration grants the keybearer vast power.

If the key is turned the current configuration ends. so if Centhahx succeeded in getting someone to do Configuration 5, it would go to a new configuration were someone to turn the key in it's clockwork body, ending it's possession of the corpse.

Eye Rays (Su): Each of the ten small eyes of Centhahx can produce a magical ray once a round, even when it is attacking physically or moving at full speed. The creature can easily aim all its eyes upward, but its own body tends to get in the way when it tries to aim the rays in other directions. During a round, the creature can aim only three eye rays at targets in any one arc other than up (forward, backward, left, right, or down). The remaining eyes must aim at targets in other arcs or not at all. Centhahx can tilt and pan its body each round to change which rays it can bring, to bear in an arc.

Each eye's effect resembles a spell cast by a 32nd level sorcerer (20th Level in configuration 3, 25th in configuration 4) but follows the rules for a ray (see Aiming a Spell, page 148 in the Player's Handbook). All rays have a range of 300 feet and a save DC of 28 (DC 20 in configuration 3, DC 22 in configuration 4).

Ray of Enfeeblement: This works just like the spell, causing 1d6+5 points of damage.

Dimensional Anchor: The target is affected as though by the spell

Banishment: The target must succeed at a Willpower save or be affected as though by the spell.

Baleful Transposition: The target must succeed at a Willpower save or be affected as though by the spell (see Spell Compendium).

Disintegrate: The target must succeed at a Fortitude save or be affected as though by the spell.  Centhahx uses this on the most powerful target.

Inflict Moderate Wounds: This works just like the spell, causing 2d8+10 points of damage (Will half).

Finger of Death: The target must succeed at a Fortitude save or be slain as though by the spell. The target suffers 3d6+25 (3d6+20 in configuration 3) damage if his saving throw succeeds.

Telekinesis: Centhahx can move objects or creatures that weigh up to 375 pounds, as though with a telekinesis spell. Creatures can resist the effect with a successful Will save.

Wrack: The target must succeed at a Fortitude save or be affected as though by the spell (see Spell Compendium).

Scintillating Sphere: This works just like the spell, causing 10d6 points of damage (Reflex half), see Spell Compendium.

Central Eye (Su): Centhahx's central eye is normally closed, with  keyhole in the lid.  Turning this key opens the eye, and the gears inside begin shifting.  The central eye's power can only be tapped in configurations 3, 4 and  6.  In configuration 3 the eye emits a constant 150 ft. cone of extradimensional energies.  Anything entering this cone must make a DC 20 Willpower Save (Save DC is Cha based) or have all movement speeds reduced to 0 as long as they remain within the cone.  In configuration 4, all Conjuration spells within the Teleportation subschool, or anything that duplicates their effects, stops working in the cone's area.  One cannot enter or leave the cone via these types of magic.  The cone also prevents the formation of Gates within it's area, and if a Gate comes within it's area, the Cone suppresses it as though it were an Antimagic Field.  In configuration 6, it can fire a 150 ft. Line of energy every 1d4 rounds.  Creatures within that area of effect must make a DC 28 Willpower Save (Save DC is Cha based) or be affected as if by a Magic Jar spell (this does not require a receptacle).  Centhahx chooses one body to possess, and that creatures soul inhabits it's former prison, which reverts to configuration 1.  The other souls return to their bodies 1 Minute later with no memory of what happened.  Centhahx has possession of the new body until it is destroyed, or someone turns the key in it's clockwork body, changing it to a new configuration.  Creatures who successfully Save are immune to this possession ability for 24 hours.

Flight (Su): Centhahx can fly as the spell, as a free action, at a speed of 40 feet. This also grants it a permanent featherfall effect with personal range.

Fast Repair (Ex): Centhahx repairs damage to itself at a rare of 5 hit points per round as long as it is above 0 hit points.

Immunity to Magic (Ex): Centhahx is immune to any spell or spell-like ability that allows spell resistance. In addition, certain spells and effects function differently against the creature, as noted below.  Etherealness immediately repairs damage to Centhahx equal to the spell's caster level. Dimensional anchor causes it to cease functioning for 1 round (treat as if dazed).

All-Around Vision (Ex): Centhahx  is exceptionally alert and circumspect. It's many eyes give it a +4 racial bonus to Spot and Search checks and it can't be flanked.

Combat: Centhahx has several goals, the main one being it's escape from the automaton which acts as a metaphysical trap for it. Once it can find a way to permanently possess a new form, it will then look for vengeance on it's former master.  As the automaton it largely just blasts repeatedly with eye rays.  If it should awake, it has a cunning mind, and uses it's abilities more tactically.

Centhahx
"That wasn't as bad as I'd thought it would be..."

"It's lucky for us the Mooncalves were here to fight the cult instead of us."

"Why did they seem to know you?"

Far Realms Legend

"You and I have done this before.  This is where you first died many long years ago, in a way that made resurrection impossible.  Fortunately I'd already prepared a clone of you.

"That explains why the eldritch horror saluted me...."

"We'll need to make this key disappear again.  Without it, the cult can't bring him back."

Le Fourier's Puzzle Box

"What does it do?"

"Centhahx is a puzzle box with 6 different configurations.  Turning the key and manipulating the puzzles gears changes it from one configuration to another.  The cult is hoping to find a way to use the configuration that let's that thing free permanently.."

« Last Edit: November 17, 2022, 12:15:52 AM by bhu »