Author Topic: The Crown's Courtyard (OOC general discussion)  (Read 37396 times)

Offline YuweaCurtis

• My Life For Madoka!
    • View Profile
Re: The Crown's Courtyard (OOC general discussion)
« Reply #160 on: March 08, 2019, 07:36:56 AM »
Could work. I haven't really thought of band composition outside of two others lol.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #161 on: March 08, 2019, 07:39:52 AM »
I'll probably use Kuro's other suggestions for rival bands. Including at least one angel band. The campaign won't be completed until Melody gets a show battle!

Offline YuweaCurtis

• My Life For Madoka!
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 08, 2019, 07:43:00 AM »
Sounds like one crazy party!

Definitely gonna need a drummer though.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 07:45:24 AM by YuweaCurtis »

Offline Jarob22

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 08, 2019, 07:47:54 AM »
Guess I didn't post it like I thought I did, but can those of us that have Red Magic start with a few spells?

Also think I'm going with "The Cruel Angel's Thesis" for a band name.

Last night I just realized I'm going to have to get over the fact there's a giant enemy allied crab in the party. I'll have to resist looking for open spots.

Open spots? :P I hope you aren’t going to try and eat me...

Offline YuweaCurtis

• My Life For Madoka!
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 08, 2019, 07:52:14 AM »
Not unless you're full of human blood? Nah, it's reference to video games and my characters fighting style.

Offline Jarob22

• View Profile
« Reply #165 on: March 08, 2019, 07:58:27 AM »
I have precisely 0 human blood, only the finest crab blood. If you look at the fluff though, awakened monstrous crab is described as a rare delicacy...

Offline YuweaCurtis

• My Life For Madoka!
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 08, 2019, 08:07:46 AM »
Fair, but I'm a vampire fam lol.

Offline Jarob22

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 08, 2019, 08:08:53 AM »
True. There’s been no say on what their blood tastes like. :P

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 08, 2019, 10:01:46 AM »
Crab king is your stage  :p

Theres those undead angels for bandmates. Angels of decay

Offline Jarob22

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 08, 2019, 10:09:06 AM »
Are you advocating for the band to play on my shell as a stage? Cause I’d definitely be ok with that. :D

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: March 08, 2019, 10:10:02 AM »
True. There’s been no say on what their blood tastes like. :P

Weird, coppery, and not blood-blood in the sense of most animals. Since it's also intramuscular fluid etc.

OK, Nitinol-7 updated with flaws and two more feats. Basically just getting TWF proper and the extra tactical options--shrinking the distance between spaces is probably the best compensation for being... you know, slow and heavily armoured. I almost wonder if I shouldn't have slow the flaw for the comedy of it: don't go fast, just abuse space-warping.

Minor note: when you use cutting the Gordian Knot to turn a two-handed weapon into throwing knives, are the knives lighter than normal? Otherwise you suddenly have 45lbs of knife from a much lighter greatsword. :lmao
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 10:52:25 AM by Raineh Daze »

Offline Jarob22

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 08, 2019, 12:18:14 PM »
Hey osle - just sorting out my followers and finally (sorry) starting work on my backstory. Are my followers able to have any class levels other than vermin/plant ones? ie could I have a follower with 1 crab level then 2 wizard or similar..

Offline Skyrock

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 08, 2019, 01:06:37 PM »
Finished adjusting my stats:
(click to show/hide)

Next stop: Cohort.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: March 08, 2019, 01:38:27 PM »
I just realised I forgot to actually put the maid link in the sheet. Whoops, fixed that.

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
  • No obstacle too great for the FLAMES IN MY HEART!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 08, 2019, 02:37:00 PM »
I'll probably use Kuro's other suggestions for rival bands. Including at least one angel band. The campaign won't be completed until Melody gets a show battle!
I'm not sure that HELPED, but it seems like it's gonna be fun at any rate even if I'm not a part of that group.  :P
Kami darou ga akuma darou ga, ore no michi ni tateru mono NASHI!!

Give me internets. Now.

Offline Jarob22

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: March 08, 2019, 05:41:55 PM »
Hi Os,

I've filled out pretty much all of the rest of my character - it's mostly been adding enchantments etc. With that in mind, I'm going to re-sim and post my relevant stats here, as there's been some discussion as to whether I may have overdone it.

HP: 141
Initiative: 7
AC: 37 normal 8 Touch (41/12 with mage armour) - I've dropped heavy fortification in favour of regeneration and limbripper
Saves: 20/10/13
Size: Gargantuan
Special abilities: Delicious crab: 10+1/2HD+con will save if they can see me, on fail they must hit me with bite, if they have bite. Darkvision, immunity to mind-affecting
Magical protections: death ward, gleaming, styptic (immune to bleed, 25% chance to be unaffected by blood drain that affects con (vampires, stirges etc), Proof against Transmutation
Attacks: +15, 6d6+14 claw (19-20x3), +15, 4d6+14 claw(19-20x3), +15/+10, 4d8+9 unarmed // enchantments on claw: warning, ghost touch, valorous (x2 dmg on charge attack)
Grapple: +41
I also have flurry, rage (a variant of), and imp bull rush+pounce+shock trooper, plus sandals of the tiger's leap, which allows me an extra unarmed strike at x2 dmg after a charge
Other abilities: improved shield bash (to use crab claw as shield + weapon), battle clarity (+3 ref whilst not flat footed), battle ardor (add INT to crit confirmation rolls), INA
In terms of other active magic items, I have a healing belt, dimension stride boots, and my third eye clarity. I also have my 1/day teleport to Hoard/teleport back to where I teleported to hoard from item.
Passive magic items/things: monks belt, vest of resistance +4, otyugh hole

I have a couple things to help saves (IHS, IHF), the other of my maneuvers are by and large to help enhance my combat capabilities.

Re-simulation:
Trolls: I'd easily beat them into negative hp before they got me, even if they do have regeneration - they need a 20 to hit me.
Bebelith: pretty much the same with the bebelith, only it doesnt have regen. I'm immune to its rend armor and I need less than a 4 on my fort save to get poisoned, at which point IHF/IHS come in handy. High AC, but I'd hit more often than not - this is a pretty much guaranteed win.
Fire giant: these dont have a bite, so delicious crab does nothing, they would need a 20 to hit me (or 19 if mage armour isnt up). If one managed to hit me with a firey rock I'd become more delicious. Same ac as bebilith.
Vrock: I now have regeneration, so its plinking me with rocks from 800ft away against my ac wont really do much, and coming into range to spores me is probably bad for it. Also, with its piddling +9 will save, delicious crab will mean it will eventually want to come and bite me, at which point I'll rip its limbs off.
Cleric: wildcard - totally depends what spells it has. Could beat me, the skeletons wont do anything though. Delicious crab wont do much here - clerics dont have a bite attack, and their will save is usually decent anyway.
Blue dragon: this is now more interesting. It's able to hit me on an 18+, and with its 26 AC I'll miss more than I'll hit, and delicious crab wont work if I retract into my shell. Does the shell require a sunder to break? The wording is unclear. If it doesnt, it can just strafe me until I die. If it does, then I might actually be able to win when it comes down by un-retracting and grappling it to death due to having +13 extra grapple than it does. I'm not sure about the mechanics and numbers here, but this isn't looking like a straight victory for the dragon every time.

Shadows: I think this kinda depends how many of them there are. They'd only need a 5+ to hit me with my 8 touch ac. I now have ghost-touch crab claw for one claw, so I'd be able to dispatch them a bit more readily, and I do now have regen which at lvl 10 is 3 points drain per round regained, but they are draining on a d6, which is 3.5 strength on average drained. Given that I'm gargantuan, a huge number of them can surround me and probably kill me with relative ease. tl;dr I'm fscked and would probably need to teleport out and never go back.

Questions:
  • Am I now too much? Do let me know if I need to scale back. I've gotten significantly better against the Vrock, and somewhat better against the dragon - maybe it's just a case of scaling back my ac so other sorts of monsters have a chance? Even scaling it back by 5 or so would mean that the bebilith (+19), fire giant (+20), dragon(+18) and vrock (+15) would have more of a chance to hit me. Up to you, let me know.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 06:43:54 PM by Jarob22 »

Offline Skyrock

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: March 08, 2019, 08:05:10 PM »
My AC is still woefully inadequate, so I have pondered what I could do:
- Drop Sohei 1, get 4th level in Wilder instead
- Drop Wolf Berserker feat (no longer qualify without Ki-Frenzy), get Ascetic Mage instead (do qualify after gaining 2nd level powers)
- Drop Call to Mind power (the Factotum dwarves me on knowledge checks anyway), get Inertial Armor power instead
- Drop Armor
- Change Vulnerable flaw to Inattentive flaw

That improves my base AC from 22 to 27 (-5 Breastplate, +1 no more Vulnerable, +4 Charisma from Monk+Ascetic Mage, +1 from combined Monk/Wilder/Swordsage levels, +4 Inertial Armor).

Question:
1. Can Ascetic Mage (intended for CHA Sorcerer) be adapted to CHA Wilder Psionics?
(Suggestion for spell to attack/damage bonus ratio under psionics: Spell level = 2PP/level -1, so 1PP = lvl1, 3PP = lvl2, 5PP = lvl3, and so on.)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 08:10:02 PM by Skyrock »

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: March 08, 2019, 09:03:49 PM »
Os, I'm a Maid created to server monsters as well as humans.  What would be an appropriate language?  I get one extra.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: March 08, 2019, 09:06:45 PM »
Oh yeah. Languages are a thing. I forgot about that.

Maybe I should drop the intimidate ranks and just learn a ton of languages to reflect being old.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: March 08, 2019, 09:08:03 PM »
Oh yeah. Languages are a thing. I forgot about that.

:lol