Author Topic: What is this monster's CR/weaknesses?  (Read 1231 times)

Offline RedWarlock

• Crimson-colored caster of calamity
    • View Profile
    • Red Blade Studios
What is this monster's CR/weaknesses?
« on: February 10, 2014, 02:15:13 PM »
So, I've got this major monster I'm throwing at my party (well not at, past, letting it go on a civilization-destroying rampage, and and letting them try to stop it, since they awakened it). The basic idea is that this WAS the regular Tarrasque, buried underneath Cyre, but the Mourning happened, with this thing at the center of the Glowing Chasm. The T itself condensed, absorbing energy from a massive dragonshard being experimented on by Cannith in that area, growing traits of a crystal dragon as well as other magical properties.

Straight up, it's a tarrasque, with the Half-Dragon (crystal), Spellwarped, and Dungeonbred templates added. (I mainly used dungeonbred to bring down its size, since I don't have any colossal minis, but I do have all the gargantuan dragons. Using Icingdeath as its mini.)

Listed CR after those templates is a 24. It's vaguely on the ball, though a couple factors have some high and low points. (the current party is about level 14, give or take. This is intended to be a campaign-ending threat that they will be able to fix plot-wise by the time they reach 20th level, give or take, by recovering a series of artifact macguffins.) Obviously it's a melee beast, though the breath weapon and wings give it a little more flexibility, and mean it can't just be spammed at range like a normal T.

Straight-up HP damage seems to be the main way to take it down, but the guys are very leery of getting anywhere close to even try. (the party is almost all casters, a shaper/constructor, a lich archivist, a necropolitan uttercold evoker, and a human rogue. The lich's player optimizes to the gills without even trying, while the rogue's player is an older player who tries but needs more help with optimization. The evoker and shaper optimize pretty well, but I curtail the more borked end of things.) They pretty much woke it up, tried one or two spells/powers on it, watched those fail on SR, took one overhead flying strafe with the breath weapon, then ran for the hills.

I'm debating a couple changes on it, though. One is using the base tarrasque's SR of 32, or at least something closer than the current 59, because even with Assay SR and other SR-affecting spells, they can't really reach that right now, if ever, short of going epic themselves. (Maybe 35-40?)

(click to show/hide)
WarCraft post-d20: A new take on the World of WarCraft for tabletop. I need your eyes and comments!