Author Topic: A Decisive Choice: 3.5 or Pathfinder Apocalypse  (Read 2779 times)

Offline Rekmond

• DM in Training
    • View Profile
A Decisive Choice: 3.5 or Pathfinder Apocalypse
« on: December 14, 2015, 01:40:04 AM »
Yes Yes another Apocalypse game. Who hasn't seen a dozen or more of them proposed with nothing more than a few rules on how money works, how rare items are and certain magic is, and how often you find friendly people?

Well I want to do it right and proper. In a rather simple example I want to see how The Elder Scrolls fare when they meet October 23, 2077 Fallout time, and then you add 200 years or so.

Pathfinder takes an early lead in this conflict by having preset Technological material for inclusion as well as a race builder for engineering some interesting denizens for this mixed realm.

3.5 though has no shortage of material to read through, but I am having difficulty finding Technological material to look at, home-brew, cross-compatible, or otherwise. If I could get ahold of d20 Modern and Future to get a peek at them I could probably make a decision, but I haven't been able to so far.

Now I'm turning to the community to ask,

Which would you choose for this scenario/setting, and Why?
I want to be born. To live. That is all I want. -Aura

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
  • Thread Necromancy a specialty
    • View Profile
Re: A Decisive Choice: 3.5 or Pathfinder Apocalypse
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 01:54:42 AM »
"There is happiness for those who accept their fate, there is glory for those that defy it."

"Now that everyone's so happy, this is probably a good time to tell you I ate your parents."

Offline Shadowhunter

• E6/E8 fanboy.
    • View Profile
    • The additional vestige collection for all you Binder players out there.
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 01:11:09 AM »
Personally not a fan of Apocalypse World from what I've read. To each his own.

There's also a sourcebook for d20 modern called "Apocalypse", which details exactly what you're going for. So bonus points for it being easy to use with 3.5 stuff. If you want the energy weapons, check "Future".

There's a d20-esque clone called "Exodus", which looks very much like a d20 system when you go through the books. Also very much Fallout. Noticeably very similar to it, to the point that you don't get surprised that it was originally intended to be a Fallout rpg and then they changed all the copyrighted terms and names.

Offline Rekmond

• DM in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2015, 03:47:49 PM »
Personally not a fan of Apocalypse World from what I've read. To each his own.

There's also a sourcebook for d20 modern called "Apocalypse", which details exactly what you're going for. So bonus points for it being easy to use with 3.5 stuff. If you want the energy weapons, check "Future".

There's a d20-esque clone called "Exodus", which looks very much like a d20 system when you go through the books. Also very much Fallout. Noticeably very similar to it, to the point that you don't get surprised that it was originally intended to be a Fallout rpg and then they changed all the copyrighted terms and names.

So you'd go with 3.5 for  the existence of compatible material. Cool.

I'd rather stick with a system I know and trust, so Sorry Amechra.

Heard of Exodus.....not gonna bother for right now.

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
  • Thread Necromancy a specialty
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 10:55:22 PM »
No worries - I just thought I'd bring it to your attention, since broadening your horizons can be pretty fun. Apocalypse World is designed for playing just a few sessions, and character creation takes a few minutes, so it could be something to try at some point.

I have a friend who swears by the stuff - I'm personally apathetic towards it, but...

More to the point:

Garryl has pretty good radiation rules here. You might want to check out the project it's part of for the purposes of cool future tech as well.
"There is happiness for those who accept their fate, there is glory for those that defy it."

"Now that everyone's so happy, this is probably a good time to tell you I ate your parents."

Offline PlzBreakMyCampaign

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2015, 11:18:00 AM »

Wider audience. Its not that hard to refluff existing things. If soro can pull metroid out of his ass.... What are you after specifically?

Offline Rekmond

• DM in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2015, 04:18:49 PM »

Wider audience. Its not that hard to refluff existing things. If soro can pull metroid out of his ass.... What are you after specifically?

In as few words as possible

Theme-wise: Magic, Super Science, and Mutants

Story-wise: ........I don't know yet. I was considering just an overall plot with side quests everywhere, typical guided sandbox, but that's a lot of work for one person to do.

I got this in my head after I started playing in a Star Wars SAGA version of Fallout New Vegas, and my brother brought up the idea of Fallout with Magic.

Now the darned idea is holding all my others hostage....even the Character Creation Strike Team

No worries - I just thought I'd bring it to your attention, since broadening your horizons can be pretty fun. Apocalypse World is designed for playing just a few sessions, and character creation takes a few minutes, so it could be something to try at some point.

I have a friend who swears by the stuff - I'm personally apathetic towards it, but...

More to the point:

Garryl has pretty good radiation rules here. You might want to check out the project it's part of for the purposes of cool future tech as well.

Thanks for the bit on Radiation rules. I'd already considered some stuff like one of Os's Nuclear Dragons as a boss somewhere. I was going to look at the Star Wars d20 stuff but hadn't the time.