Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
Re: OOC
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 05:22:33 PM »

LOOK OUT
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline Solo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Sorcelator Supreme
    • View Profile
    • Solo's Compiled Works
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 05:40:24 PM »
Avast!
"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down."

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 06:27:44 PM »
Finally!  I'll get a sheet up when I get home from work.

Edit: I forget, how are we doing hp?

Edit edit: Done except for flaws and gear.  My stats aren't set in stone but I think they're what I will go with.  I also have no idea what to take as my third level feat.

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 09:45:34 PM »
Considering we're starting at first level, I think you have time to decide.  I can empathize though, since I'm not sure what feat I want to take for my first level.  I've got a couple shifter feats that go with my concept of my character being a seer type and good at scouting, but I'm not yet sure all of what everyone else has available on that front.

Edit:  So far we have three invocation users, an omnicidal warforged barbarian, a bard who might rule the boat, and my druid who I'm angling to play like a Jamaican.  Yeah, this will definitely be interesting.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 10:09:15 PM by Jackinthegreen »

Offline littha

• Honorary Mod
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 10:11:07 PM »

Edit edit: Done except for flaws and gear.  My stats aren't set in stone but I think they're what I will go with.  I also have no idea what to take as my third level feat.

Hp is always max at first level anyway but we will be doing average hp. (5d6 is then 6+4+3+4+3+4)

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 10:36:54 PM »

Hp is always max at first level anyway but we will be doing average hp. (5d6 is then 6+4+3+4+3+4)

:facepalm

Edit: Are you okay with the homebrew rageforged weapons that are listed here?

Offline littha

• Honorary Mod
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, 10:45:39 PM »
They seem ok, the damage on the Vicious Pole is rather high for a martial reach weapon though...

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2012, 10:55:45 PM »
They seem ok, the damage on the Vicious Pole is rather high for a martial reach weapon though...

If it helps I wasn't going to take that one.  Murderspike isn't built for reach weapons given the lack of AOO focus.

Offline geniussavant

• Legendary Member
  • Neither genius nor savant, mostly just confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2012, 10:58:04 PM »
Nanshork, did you want to work on Murderspike's and Castor's history?
Smile beautiful. It's not as bad as you think.
I usually post from my phone. Please excuse any typos. I swear, they're the phone's fault.

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2012, 11:19:26 PM »
Some of those clearly weren't made very well.  For instance, the hook-knife is exotic but has the exact same damage stats as a kukri, and the kukri is a light weapon.  The gutspike is likewise a worse version of the kukri.  Why these exist I have no idea, other than the creator was a derp who didn't know his weapons.

The gutter-sword is a worse version of the great falchion as well as the elven courtblade.

Blade knuckles are more powerful than the majority of other exotic weapons thanks to +3 on damage rolls with slam or unarmed attacks.  It'd probably be better balanced at +1 or +2 honestly, since that's the going rate for bonus damage from exotic weapon prof.

The crescent axe is almost like having Improved Critical for a greataxe, plus having it do piercing damage too.  That whole package makes it a pretty good exotic weapon by D&D standards, perhaps too good since we've proven 19-20/x3 is akin to a 20/x5 in terms of damage.

The vicious pole actually seems to be in line with other exotic weapons.  It's essentially a die size boost of a guisarme minus the tripping and plus a possible damage type.

From the looks of it, the ones you'll have to worry about most are the crescent axe and the blade knuckles.  Expect big crits somewhat often from the axe and lots of punches or slams from the blade knuckles thanks to the extra damage.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2012, 09:04:49 AM »
Some of those clearly weren't made very well.  For instance, the hook-knife is exotic but has the exact same damage stats as a kukri, and the kukri is a light weapon.  The gutspike is likewise a worse version of the kukri.  Why these exist I have no idea, other than the creator was a derp who didn't know his weapons.

The gutter-sword is a worse version of the great falchion as well as the elven courtblade.

Blade knuckles are more powerful than the majority of other exotic weapons thanks to +3 on damage rolls with slam or unarmed attacks.  It'd probably be better balanced at +1 or +2 honestly, since that's the going rate for bonus damage from exotic weapon prof.

The crescent axe is almost like having Improved Critical for a greataxe, plus having it do piercing damage too.  That whole package makes it a pretty good exotic weapon by D&D standards, perhaps too good since we've proven 19-20/x3 is akin to a 20/x5 in terms of damage.

The vicious pole actually seems to be in line with other exotic weapons.  It's essentially a die size boost of a guisarme minus the tripping and plus a possible damage type.

From the looks of it, the ones you'll have to worry about most are the crescent axe and the blade knuckles.  Expect big crits somewhat often from the axe and lots of punches or slams from the blade knuckles thanks to the extra damage.

You do realize that the Rageforged feat (which gives a bunch of other bonuses) also makes every single weapon on that list a martial weapon for me and thus those weapons were most likely attempted to be balanced against other martial weapons since only Rageforged are expected to be using them (they're in a thread involving Rageforged and only Rageforged) don't you?  Also, there's the whole "making things for flavor" standpoint.

Offline Solo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Sorcelator Supreme
    • View Profile
    • Solo's Compiled Works
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2012, 01:17:18 PM »
Also, there's the whole "making things for flavor"
What heresy is this?

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2012, 01:34:54 PM »
Also, there's the whole "making things for flavor"
What heresy is this?

The best kind obviously.   :P

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2012, 08:47:02 PM »
You do realize that the Rageforged feat (which gives a bunch of other bonuses) also makes every single weapon on that list a martial weapon for me and thus those weapons were most likely attempted to be balanced against other martial weapons since only Rageforged are expected to be using them (they're in a thread involving Rageforged and only Rageforged) don't you?  Also, there's the whole "making things for flavor" standpoint.

Yes, I do realize the Rageforged feat makes them martial much the same as Improved Weapon Familiarity makes racial weapons martial for members of that race.  However, all of the racial weapons are exotic in their own right and were balanced and created as such, not against martial weapons.

As for "making things for flavor," a rose by any other name smells just as sweet.  Some of the roses there are exceptional and some are simply average and boring in comparison.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2012, 08:49:01 PM »

Yes, I do realize the Rageforged feat makes them martial much the same as Improved Weapon Familiarity makes racial weapons martial for members of that race.  However, all of the racial weapons are exotic in their own right and were balanced and created as such, not against martial weapons.

As for "making things for flavor," a rose by any other name smells just as sweet.  Some of the roses there are exceptional and some are simply average and boring in comparison.

So the weapons there are just like the weapon lists in every splatbook WoTC produced that introduced new weapons.    :p

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2012, 09:58:11 PM »
Most of my beef is with the creator of those weapons, so I'll end this discussion here and simply PM that person.

Unless you'd like to continue?

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2012, 10:08:53 PM »
Most of my beef is with the creator of those weapons, so I'll end this discussion here and simply PM that person.

Unless you'd like to continue?

Not particularly.   :P

Offline Sohala

• A hammer is all I need.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2012, 11:21:54 PM »
Added her backstory that I had typed, plus a basic outline of the rest.
"You think I'm talking about breaking the rules?"
"No I'm just trying to figure out how far you want them bent."

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage

Offline Solo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Sorcelator Supreme
    • View Profile
    • Solo's Compiled Works
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2012, 07:44:18 PM »
Speaking of backstories... how do you all want to have joined the ship? Were you impressed into service? Running from the law? Got recruited by a slick, fast talking bard of dubious sanity?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 07:48:37 PM by Solo »