Author Topic: Southpaw OOC  (Read 45592 times)

Offline Concerned Ninja Citizen

• Legendary Member
  • I am Concerned
    • View Profile
Southpaw OOC
« on: January 29, 2013, 09:26:24 PM »
Copied from RoC

The mysterious 3rd option, Left Hand of the Emperor.

Current Roster

Harald
Samnemath (currently out due to RL)
Flay Crimsonwind
Concerned Ninja Citizen
FireInTheSky
Linklord
MetroMagic
DragoonWraith
Darkone

Our team theme is "in service to the Emperor." We're soldiers, secret agents, dragon guys, astrophysicists, spaceships, and robot people directly employed (or formerly employed) by the Empire.

So what does everyone's character do?

Merrion does standard rogue stuff (sneaking, finding traps, breaking into things), short to mid range damage via archery (toned down to non game breaking levels), immediate action "counterspelling" (my level+wis against a CL check to shut down any spell I can identify. Also works on powers and maneuvers), constant area debuff (Fort DC 23 or be exhausted, enemies only), and a couple utility SLAs.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 10:05:06 PM by Concerned Ninja Citizen »

Offline Flay Crimsonwind

• Legendary Member
  • The devil so nice, they damned him thrice.
    • View Profile
Re: Southpaw OOC
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 03:58:09 AM »
Aside from 440+ gold and my background, everything is up, but here's a summary.

I turn into a badass dragon (large size).
When I'm not a badass dragon (and even if I am) I can summon mini-badass-dragons. These help me tank and tie up opponents, flank, etc.
I am always able to fly around/stand around breathing fire/cold/electricity/acid onto stupid mofos who oppose me. I can entangle them with this.
I am also always a badass martial initiator, who has a massive amount of knowledge stored in his head. He also likes to hit people with an axe.
I have a couple spell-like effects, and a minor amount of variety on those, but most are passive to make me more badass.

Character-wise, I work as a soldier/knight-thing to the crown, and I don't like talking about myself. I aim to kill evil, and that takes up most of my conscious hours. I don't like evil dragons, and I have an evil dragon nemesis. Also, I don't know if I mentioned, but I think about dragons a lot.
I'm here and ready to keep confusing the hell out of everyone I meet.

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
  • "Insight is the sudden cessation of stupidity."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 07:32:19 AM »
Flay, could you express 3 different Ideals at the same time (2 Scaleshaper, 1 WW/KH)???  If so, that would be AWESOME!!  More,,,punctuation.......

EDIT:
Since I'm here: my character is kinda the opposite of CNC's.  I buff everything in sight (leaving the area very shiny. :P)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 07:39:12 AM by FireInTheSky »

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 07:36:30 AM »
Flay, could you express 3 different Ideals at the same time (2 Scaleshaper, 1 WW/KH)???  If so, that would be AWESOME!!  More,,,punctuation.......
No, we discussed it before - he can only express 2 at a time from Scaleshaper.  You don't get to double-dip expression.

How do you like the animus subs?
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
  • "Insight is the sudden cessation of stupidity."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 02:26:08 PM »
Too bad...

But the Animus sub-levels are cool!  You gonna port that back to MinMax?  Is that contest officially over?  Or just on hold?

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 03:24:30 PM »
Too bad...

But the Animus sub-levels are cool!  You gonna port that back to MinMax?  Is that contest officially over?  Or just on hold?
Sweet.  :D  Yes, but I'm trying to decide whether the Thaumurai, Nullblade, and Architect should be combined like on gitp, or if I should just give Animus its own thread, or what.

And the contest I believe is over.

Offline samnemath

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 12:07:02 PM »
I am not sure about my character. I am kind of lost. I have been reading the 6 disciplines, and between reading them, choosing maneuvers and figuring out how to take what I like and fulfill the prereqs, I have a constant headache.  :)

If I focus on ranged attacks, I have a pretty decent near, medium range damage output. But beyond that I am not sure.

I can craft magic items but they have the [Magitech] descriptor. So I am not sure if you can use them. I am awaiting a reply in the Machinist's thread.
My minion can be useful, and so can my upgrades, but they are hard to change until we reach 9th level. Then I will become much more adaptable.
I have maneuvers that convert alchemical items to AoEs with increased DC. That can be somewhat useful for buffing (Trollbane, Ghostblight) and debuffing (eggshell grenades, tanglefoot bag)
I am hard to kill if I have the right upgrades.
I have a 6th level Carrionete/Rogue/Needle-fighter that can serve as secondary rogue.

And that's it. It's not bad, but I feel that it lacks direction. Is there something the team needs, so I can focus on it? Do you have any suggestions for the character? Anything?
I don't want to abandon the character. I like the concept. I am just lacking in inspiration right now and would appreciate a little help.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 01:11:22 PM by samnemath »

• Legendary Member
  • I am Concerned
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2013, 12:44:38 AM »
I definitely wouldn't abandon the concept. It's an awesome concept and it seems like you've got plenty of worthwhile things to do even if you are a bit scattered at the moment.

The main issue you seem to have from my perspective is figuring out how to synergy your Machine Mistress stuff (minions, upgrades, etc) with your Machinist stuff (maneuvers and such.)

If I have some sort of awesome idea on how to do that I'll mention it but for now:

Do you need Weapon Finesse? You seem set up mainly for ranged combat and most of your disciplines are either ranged focused or work equally with ranged and melee. I think you can get away without spending a feat on melee combat. You can always focus your minion on melee if you need that.

From looking over the Machinist thread I don't see any restriction on non Machinists using [Magitech] items. They just don't get the proficiencies and bonuses that Machinists do.

I might focus on the AoE debuffing possibilities. We're pretty good for damage, esp single target damage but not so much area wise. That sort of thing is also one of the main reasons BFC focused primary casters are awesome and that's the main thing we're missing. Some of the Experimental Alchemy and Entropic Dynamo maneuvers look good for that sort of thing. Doll Judgement seems potentially BFCy as well, in a different way.

Basically, I'm saying focus on battlefield control. You're well equipped for that between AoE alchemical effects, and minions large and small.

I might focus your own upgrades mainly on keeping yourself alive. It looks like your Maneuvers and your Minion will be ample offensive power.

Offline samnemath

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2013, 02:46:15 AM »
Do you need Weapon Finesse? You seem set up mainly for ranged combat and most of your disciplines are either ranged focused or work equally with ranged and melee. I think you can get away without spending a feat on melee combat. You can always focus your minion on melee if you need that.

I was skeptical about Weapon Finesse too. My character doesn't really need it. She is ranged focused and with PBS she can use her ranged attack in melee. The only reason I took it is for Doll Judgement. The Dolls attack with my stats, are unable to use ranged weapons, and I have a low Str score. I could just use them only for scouting purposes or a buffer between me and the enemy and forego the Weapon Finesse feat. If I fine a particularly nice feat, I will think about it. (suggestions welcome)   

I might focus your own upgrades mainly on keeping yourself alive. It looks like your Maneuvers and your Minion will be ample offensive power.

That's what I intend to do, at least until the next level where I will be able to change upgrades as a move action.

From looking over the Machinist thread I don't see any restriction on non Machinists using [Magitech] items. They just don't get the proficiencies and bonuses that Machinists do.

That's what I thought until I read the Prototype feats. They enable you to modify armor and weapons you find, and make them [Magitech]. After the conversion, they are unusable to everyone else. There is no mention of it in the class feature though, so it may affect only items made with the feats. If you can use them, the I can offer somewhat cheaper arms, armor, wondrous items and alchemical items.

SirP: Are we using the 5gp for 1xp houserule?

Basically, I'm saying focus on battlefield control. You're well equipped for that between AoE alchemical effects, and minions large and small.

Ok! I will see what I can do. Thanks for the help.

• Legendary Member
  • I am Concerned
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2013, 04:42:44 AM »
That's what I thought until I read the Prototype feats. They enable you to modify armor and weapons you find, and make them [Magitech]. After the conversion, they are unusable to everyone else. There is no mention of it in the class feature though, so it may affect only items made with the feats. If you can use them, the I can offer somewhat cheaper arms, armor, wondrous items and alchemical items.

It sounds like the "only you can use them" proviso applies specifically to items modified with those feats. If it meant [magitech] items in general, it would have mentioned that in the section on those items.

If anyone wants a [magitech] item you can craft if but I don't think that ability lets you craft any given item and add the [magitech] tag, does it? If it does, that's awesome.

Offline samnemath

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2013, 05:07:12 AM »
Well it says I can craft weapons, armor, constructs, and wondrous items and use my Initiator level as caster level.

It doesn't mention any restriction. So unless the item needs a caster level greater than 8, I should be able to craft it.

You could argue that I would need someone to cast the requisite spells, but that makes the class feature pointless. Plus an arcane mechanic that need the help of wizards to make crazy inventions? Preposterous! :)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 05:09:16 AM by samnemath »

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2013, 07:34:49 AM »
SirP: Are we using the 5gp for 1xp houserule?
Yeah, let's go with that.

• Legendary Member
  • I am Concerned
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2013, 09:24:25 AM »
Well it says I can craft weapons, armor, constructs, and wondrous items and use my Initiator level as caster level.

It doesn't mention any restriction. So unless the item needs a caster level greater than 8, I should be able to craft it.

You could argue that I would need someone to cast the requisite spells, but that makes the class feature pointless. Plus an arcane mechanic that need the help of wizards to make crazy inventions? Preposterous! :)

It says you can craft [magitech] items using IL as CL and ignoring feat prereqs. It then gives a list of [magitech] items after the class description. It doesn't say that you can slap the [magitech] tag on any random item and then craft it. The fact that it doesn't mention anything about ignoring spell prereqs suggests that it is only giving you the ability to craft items which already have the [magitech] tag.

At least that's how I read it. We should probably get another opinion: SirP?

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2013, 09:27:26 AM »
Link?

• Legendary Member
  • I am Concerned
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2013, 09:29:05 AM »
Machinist. The ability in question is Machinist's Knack.

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2013, 09:34:41 AM »
Machinist. The ability in question is Machinist's Knack.
Yeah, it's only when making items which are already [Magitech].

Offline samnemath

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2013, 10:33:20 AM »
It says you can craft [magitech] items using IL as CL and ignoring feat prereqs. It then gives a list of [magitech] items after the class description. It doesn't say that you can slap the [magitech] tag on any random item and then craft it. The fact that it doesn't mention anything about ignoring spell prereqs suggests that it is only giving you the ability to craft items which already have the [magitech] tag.

But none of the items given need item creation feats or caster levels to make. There also no [Magitech] constructs or wondrous items given.
So if that interpretation is used then the Magical Knack feature doesn't do anything.

I am also basing my interpretation on this post. Seems the intent was to make a toned down artificer/swordsage amalgam.

But the truth is the class feature is kind of debatable. That is why I posted on the machinist thread for clarification.

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2013, 10:34:59 AM »

But none of the items given need item creation feats or caster levels to make. There also no [Magitech] constructs or wondrous items given.
So if that interpretation is used then the Magical Knack feature doesn't do anything.

I am also basing my interpretation on this post. Seems the intent was to make a toned down artificer/swordsage amalgam.

But the truth is the class feature is kind of debatable. That is why I posted on the machinist thread for clarification.
That's what I did with Warcafter. :D

But anyway, it's confusing.  Let's see what the author says.

• Legendary Member
  • I am Concerned
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2013, 07:29:34 PM »
Does the special rule regarding double monster classes at lv1 in this game have any effect on the stacking of racial bonuses?

I have bonuses to Hide and Move Silently from 2 different monster classes. I don't think they'd usually stack but does that work the same way in this game?

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2013, 07:39:25 PM »
Does the special rule regarding double monster classes at lv1 in this game have any effect on the stacking of racial bonuses?

I have bonuses to Hide and Move Silently from 2 different monster classes. I don't think they'd usually stack but does that work the same way in this game?
You get the better bonus, as normal for gestalt.