Author Topic: Things that make you LoL (Part 3)  (Read 243028 times)

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
  • Trapped on another Earth that isn't home
    • View Profile
Re: Things that make you LoL (Part 3)
« Reply #180 on: May 23, 2014, 03:38:51 AM »
this from a 1 star review of the Lego movie on Amazon

"PG -- "Parental Guidance Suggested. Some Material May Not Be Suitable For Children": The Rating Board applies this rating when the members believe the film contains themes or content that parents may find inappropriate for younger children. The film can contain some profanity, violence or brief nudity, but only in relatively mild intensity. A PG film should not include drug use."

"PG-13 -- "Parents Strongly Cautioned. Some Material May Be Inappropriate For Children Under 13." The MPAA added this rating in 1984 to denote films in which violence, profanity or sexual content is intense enough that many parents would not want to expose their younger children to the film, but not so intense as to warrant an R rating. Any movie featuring drug use will get at least a PG-13 rating. A PG-13 movie can include a single use of what the board deems a "harsher, sexually derived word," as long as it is only used as an expletive, not in a sexual context."

This film is shockingly violent! How it didn't warrant a PG-13 rating, given the rating board's guidelines, is beyond me. The fact that the rampant murder and mayhem depicted in this movie is perpetrated by toys against toys does not change how that violence will be digested by children. This film includes themes such as intimidation with a threat of personal injury, intimidation with a realized threat of injury to one's family, imprisonment, torture, warfare, murder... One of the main characters in decapitated, carries on a dramatic conversation as just a severed head, and then expires in front of the rest of the main cast. The lack of blood doesn't change the intensity of the violence; body parts are still flying everywhere. This is NOT a film for children.

As an adult I enjoyed the film, but ultimately I am not the one to whom this film was marketed. I am happy that I previewed this film before letting my young son see it - he will have to wait until he is older before seeing it.

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: May 23, 2014, 09:17:24 PM »

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
  • Thread Necromancy a specialty
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: May 24, 2014, 01:19:30 AM »
Eh, I could get most of those, "failing" the rest because of dialect/accent differences.

Looking at a few of the rhymes (and some of those are kinda cheating), it looks like Queen's English, to be overly specific.

English really isn't that much of a bitch, when you get down to it, because it is a very loose language. English lets you verb any noun and still have a readable sentence.

Heck, here's a fun statement for you (shared with me by a linguistics major friend):

Fuck can be used for any part of speech. Any.

I'm kind of sketchy on using it as a pronoun, but you can vary it for the rest of them.
"There is happiness for those who accept their fate, there is glory for those that defy it."

"Now that everyone's so happy, this is probably a good time to tell you I ate your parents."

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: May 24, 2014, 01:27:03 AM »
There's also the full and grammatically correct sentence "Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo."

Offline SolEiji

• Epic Member
  • I am 120% Eiji.
    • View Profile
    • D&D Wiki.org, not .com
« Reply #185 on: May 24, 2014, 10:07:38 PM »
Have you tried bacon?
Mudada.

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
  • "Insight is the sudden cessation of stupidity."
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: May 26, 2014, 06:00:26 PM »
Eh, I could get most of those, "failing" the rest because of dialect/accent differences.

Looking at a few of the rhymes (and some of those are kinda cheating), it looks like Queen's English, to be overly specific.

English really isn't that much of a bitch, when you get down to it, because it is a very loose language. English lets you verb any noun and still have a readable sentence.

Heck, here's a fun statement for you (shared with me by a linguistics major friend):

I'm kind of sketchy on using it as a pronoun, but you can vary it for the rest of them.

Yeah, I'm kinda tired of people saying English is a terrible language (which I've definitely seen/heard before). The reason it's confusing is because it was originally Germanic, but early on, it had a huge influx of early romance language. The resulting mash-up is incredibly flexible, able to incorporate words and phrases from all over the place. However, that can also make analyzing it a headache, since you have to figure out if you're dealing with Greek or Latinate or Germanic roots. But if you're not trying to analyze it, and instead just trying to use it, then you can use that flexibility to your advantage. As stated above, being able to "verb any noun" and still get your point across.

We get it - English can be confusing. But, hey you, Grammar Nazi: did you understand what the person was trying to convey? Then shut up.

(Not a rant at Amechra.)

(click to show/hide)

Offline altpersona

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
    • You are here
« Reply #187 on: May 26, 2014, 07:56:28 PM »
i frequently say how bad a language english is, and its the only one i know...  :eh

The goal of power is power. - 1984
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow
The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga still sux.

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
  • No obstacle too great for the FLAMES IN MY HEART!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: May 26, 2014, 08:24:40 PM »

Yeah, I'm kinda tired of people saying English is a terrible language (which I've definitely seen/heard before). The reason it's confusing is because it was originally Germanic, but early on, it had a huge influx of early romance language. The resulting mash-up is incredibly flexible, able to incorporate words and phrases from all over the place. However, that can also make analyzing it a headache, since you have to figure out if you're dealing with Greek or Latinate or Germanic roots. But if you're not trying to analyze it, and instead just trying to use it, then you can use that flexibility to your advantage. As stated above, being able to "verb any noun" and still get your point across.

We get it - English can be confusing. But, hey you, Grammar Nazi: did you understand what the person was trying to convey? Then shut up.

(Not a rant at Amechra.)

(click to show/hide)

You know, I never viewed English as a particularly difficult language to understand, though I wouldn't say it's the easiest to master. With that said, it's the only one apart from my native tongue I can speak confidently. Having had the opportunity to study some Latin early on made it easier for me to somewhat deduce and understand (though not grasp the nuances of and DEFINITELY not speak) most Latin-based languages such as Spanish, French or Italian - the common root makes them all somewhat easily available to me. I could even make a LITTLE sense out of German if I tried.

So... I guess I can say with some confidence that English is fairly complex. But not as complex as some people make it out to be. I mean seriously people, the adjective comes before the subject, what's so hard to understand?!

I WILL mercilessly correct any Brazillian whose English does not live up to a certain standard of mine, though. Mostly because Portuguese is even more fucked-up as a language, and some people manage to suck at English and write in brilliant Portuguese. And that just boggles my mind.
Kami darou ga akuma darou ga, ore no michi ni tateru mono NASHI!!

Give me internets. Now.

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
  • Thread Necromancy a specialty
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: May 27, 2014, 07:19:59 PM »
My favorite description of Portuguese is "it sounds like drunken Spanish."

If only; Portuguese looks like Spanish (to the point where I can read simple sentences), but it sounds like someone is trying to speak Russian and Spanish simultaneously.

Sorry, growing up in Spain I had to.

English also has a really simple tense system (it's regular unless it is not) and nouns only change by number.

Compare Latin: 5 declensions, 3 genders, 2 numbers (singular/plural) which both decline differently, 5 semi-regular noun groups... that's not even getting into the verbs.

Or German: how many definite articles are there again? 16?

English also has the goodness of grammar flexibility; I can noun any verb, verb any noun, perform actions adjectively, or describe something adverbally.

That last sentence... i don't even know how I'd render something similar into Latin/Spanish.
"There is happiness for those who accept their fate, there is glory for those that defy it."

"Now that everyone's so happy, this is probably a good time to tell you I ate your parents."

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: May 28, 2014, 09:44:00 AM »
There are a lot of people to whom Spanish sounds like Portuguese with a potato in your mouth.  :P

No need to apologize, I poke fun of my own mother tongue every now and then too.  :P

Give me internets. Now.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: May 28, 2014, 05:05:39 PM »
I like english because its the only language i know enough of to use subtle insults in.  As in, I can insult people without being stabbed repeatedly.  I can insult people in a dozen or so languages but they're all the "if you use this be ready to throw down" kind of insult.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #192 on: May 29, 2014, 07:31:32 PM »

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: May 29, 2014, 08:18:24 PM »
are they sure thats an elf?  :twitch

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: May 30, 2014, 12:04:27 PM »

Offline Gazzien

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Science? Science.
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: June 02, 2014, 12:59:36 AM »
I think someone mentioned flexagons?

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: June 02, 2014, 07:20:50 AM »
https://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/chinese-farmer-turns-suitcases-into-ingenious-electric-scooter-213419027.html

Just...  Wow.

Oh, OF COURSE this fucker is from Hunan province. Which among other things has seen a real life dire rat.

Screw Chernobyl, with the way freaky shit pour out of that place, the first superhero will probably be Chinese.

Give me internets. Now.

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
  • Trapped on another Earth that isn't home
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: June 02, 2014, 12:56:48 PM »
https://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/chinese-farmer-turns-suitcases-into-ingenious-electric-scooter-213419027.html

Just...  Wow.

Oh, OF COURSE this fucker is from Hunan province. Which among other things has seen a real life dire rat.

Screw Chernobyl, with the way freaky shit pour out of that place, the first superhero will probably be Chinese.

Indeed..those of us in the know..know the Zombie apoc will start in China.....

Offline Libertad

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
    • My Fantasy and Gaming Blog
« Reply #199 on: June 02, 2014, 06:11:14 PM »
From Gun Show Comics: