Author Topic: Dat Magic: Plane shift Kaladesh  (Read 3571 times)

Offline Wilb

• Elder Lurker
    • View Profile
Dat Magic: Plane shift Kaladesh
« on: February 16, 2017, 12:33:14 PM »
Lovely Zoma...

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
  • Thread Necromancy a specialty
    • View Profile
Re: Dat Magic: Plane shift Kaladesh
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 01:59:42 PM »
You know, Wizards?

Lorwyn could totally get some D&D love. So could Kamigawa, now that I think of it.

EDIT: The Pyromancer Sorcerous Heritage looks pretty nice.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 02:04:15 PM by Amechra »
"There is happiness for those who accept their fate, there is glory for those that defy it."

"Now that everyone's so happy, this is probably a good time to tell you I ate your parents."

Offline TenaciousJ

• AVENGE WAGON
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 03:42:55 PM »
I wondered when they'd do this.

@Amechra You can expect something like what you're asking for when they return to those settings and try to sell more artbooks.  I think I read somewhere Kamigawa is pretty much memory-holed except for Tamiyo though.

Pyromancer borrows pretty heavily from Storm Sorcery with Elemental Adept built in.
Make Eberron Great Again! #MEGA

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 05:01:29 PM »
Sorc Pyromancer , yeah that's Blaster 101 for noobs right there.

Fluff (tho' interesting) on which classes are available is near totalsvckballs.  Too setting specific for my tastes.

Int Arcana has 2 minor crunch things on page 11.

Buying Selling --- appropriately B S  :D --- isn't quite the same as in the DMG.

CARS COST 100 G.P. ?!!

Quicksmithing feat = Ritual feat with  minor recrunch/fluff.
Servo Crafting feat = Find Familiar + missing template (see Servo at the bottom of the pdf) + small attack thingy

Aetherborn = var Half Elf with Major refluffing.  I like.  Gift Of The Aetherborn = yes please.
Elf like Zendikar minor crunch change.
Vedalkin = var Gnome with Major refluffing.  I like.  Int +2, Wis +1, for all your Mystic Theurge inclinations.

Gremlins ... oh yeah sic these on a mid level party having never seen anything like this before = Freak Out.
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 08:56:55 PM »
Servos are near the end, and are pretty standard, stat-wise.

As for "I want to see Kamigawa done up" - Kamigawa literally has some of the best visual design of any magic set.
"There is happiness for those who accept their fate, there is glory for those that defy it."

"Now that everyone's so happy, this is probably a good time to tell you I ate your parents."

Offline TenaciousJ

• AVENGE WAGON
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 10:14:53 PM »
WotC is just unlikely to revisit Kamigawa.  I want to say I read a blog post from Mark Rosewater awhile ago listing the various reasons why he wouldn't go back to it.  It boiled down to:  the type of people who complain about cultural appropriation hate it, and WotC is (to an unreasonable degree IMO) sensitive to those kinds of complaints.

It's unfortunate since inspiration should not have to mean strict obedience to the minutiae of the source.  There could be a chance for Kamigawa to come back if Kaladesh has lasting popularity, but I tuned out of the MTG community awhile ago and couldn't tell you if that's the case.  Anecdotally, the people I run into who still play really love east Asian-inspired stuff, and it could be much more popular this time around since it would not have to necessarily follow a block as crazy as the original Mirrodin.

Which reminds me, I'd love to see one of these for Mirrodin.  I loved that block so much I came back to the game temporarily after not paying attention since Time Spiral for the 2nd Mirrodin block.  Part of my cringes though to think what they'd try to suggest for Phyrexians to avoid having to make stat blocks for them.

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2017, 03:09:37 PM »
Heh, cultural appropriation  :pout

China+ is a huge market, they surely want to get into.
No bad press ahead of time.

Even east asians make fun of east asians , some times.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kung_Fu_Hustle#References_to_other_works
... Bill Murray called Kung Fu Hustle "the supreme achievement of the modern age in terms of comedy" ...
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline TenaciousJ

• AVENGE WAGON
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2017, 03:46:14 PM »
Accusations of cultural appropriation will never stop me from cooking chicken tikka masala, doro wat, gumbo, goulash etc., and I'm never laying off the cheesy accents for NPCs.

WotC is a little too insulated to realize the amount of people who would like Kamigawa dwarfs the number of people who would complain about inauthenticity.

Offline Wilb

• Elder Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2017, 05:34:37 PM »
Wotc are super crybabies about PC and related stuff. If there is any possibility of conflict and a single loud and well connected person claiming that some idea or concept is offensive, it will be shot down. Its been like this for many years, and D&D has been left practically untouched. Its better to just let this go.
Lovely Zoma...

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2017, 10:56:00 AM »
I expected people to be talking about D&D, new splat, and how this is so awesome so I kind of hung back. I'm so sick of Artifact-focused expansions it's not even funny. But when I check the thread people are like they should have done the Asian block but are to PC to. It seems like I'm not the only one. :)

Offline TenaciousJ

• AVENGE WAGON
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2017, 01:25:16 PM »
There's just not a lot to talk about.  The setting doesn't have much to it that we haven't already seen and there's hardly anything mechanical to play around with.  Plenty of older D&D settings already did magi-tech and "no arcane magic or Clerics allowed."

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2017, 01:51:58 PM »
I expected people to be talking about D&D, new splat, and how this is so awesome so I kind of hung back. I'm so sick of Artifact-focused expansions it's not even funny. But when I check the thread people are like they should have done the Asian block but are to PC to. It seems like I'm not the only one. :)

That's because the Asian block is awesome on toast. It was mechanically kind of bad, but it had awesome flavor.

Similarly, Lorwyn would be pretty great to get a conversion document for, if only because it has no Humans. I want to see stats for playable Kithkin and Fairies, damn it!

Offline sambojin

• It's a game. Have fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2017, 04:38:37 PM »
The political correctness can go either way. From seemingly culturally insensitive to "Why aren't there any Asian dwarves? This is an outrage!!!". It's kind of like the gay characters thing in MtG. Too gay? Not gay enough? Totally covering up their gayness? Or totally missing the point of the character in the society they're in?

WotC tends to go the "don't ask, don't tell" route, even on ethnicity. Then it can't be a problem at all. Otherwise they're definitely wrong or insensitive in at least a portion of their player's eyes, no matter what they do.

It takes all types to make the planes go around. They are what they are. I reckon Kamigawa would be a great setting for DnD. And "easier" to get new players into than a Clans/Khans of Tarkir world, simply due to it being "closer to the real thing", despite all its quirks and cultural parodies. Kinda less complicated in a different way.
---------------

Servocrafting might be handy for long range Conjure Animals raids, in the same way Voice of the Chainmaster is. One of the animals can carry your servo, and you can see and direct the group of animals (command them with your voice) from potentially miles away. Not exactly worth a feat, but at least a druid doesn't have to multiclass for it, and they've often got feats to spare. It's pretty much the feat version of Voice, but with a crappier familiar.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 05:10:16 PM by sambojin »