Author Topic: Lightning Elemental  (Read 10906 times)

Offline Daedroth

• Neutronium Elemental
    • View Profile
Lightning Elemental
« on: October 13, 2012, 08:26:40 PM »
Lightning Elemental

CLASS
Hit Die: d8

Level   BAB   Fort   Ref   Will   Special

1st   +0  +0  +2  +0  Body of Lightning, Discharge, Metal Mastery
2nd   +1  +0  +3  +0  Bonus Feat, +1 Con
3rd   +2  +1  +3  +1  Growth, Thunderbolt, +1 Dex
4th   +3  +1  +4  +1  Electric Body, +1 Con
5th   +3  +1  +4  +1  Bonus Feat, Fast as the Lighning, +1 Dex
6th   +4  +2  +5  +2  Electromagnetic Shield
7th   +5  +2  +5  +2  Electric Leap, +1 Con
8th   +6  +2  +6  +2  Bonus Feat,+1 Dex
9th   +6  +3  +6  +3  Electromagnetic Force,+1 Cha
10th  +7  +3  +7  +3  Defibrilation,+1 Dex
11th  +8  +3  +7  +3  Bonus Feat,Elder Elemental

Class Skills: (2 + Int. Mod.) x4 at first level. The Lightning Elemental's class skills are Concentration, Escape Artist, and Intimidate.

Class Features
Proficiencies:
An Elemental is proficient with its own natural weapons.

Body of Lightning: At first level, the Elemental loses all racial bonuses, traits, and abilities and gains elemental traits.

•   Darkvision out to 60 feet.
•   Immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, and stunning.
•   Not subject to critical hits or flanking.
•   Unlike most other living creatures, an elemental does not have a dual nature—its soul and body form one unit. When an elemental is slain, no soul is set loose. Spells that restore souls to their bodies, such as raise dead, reincarnate, and resurrection, don’t work on an elemental. It takes a different magical effect, such as limited wish,wish, miracle, or true resurrection, to restore it to life.
•   Elementals do not eat, sleep, or breathe. Though elementals do not sleep, they still must entire periodic states of dormancy in order replenish daily abilities such as spells.

The Lightning Elemental is a small Elemental and cannot yet fly, but it can hover up to 5ft. off the ground, along the ground at a speed of 40ft. Despite being made of electricity, Lightning Elementals are, for the most part, solid and can wear equipment, use weapons, and manipulate objects normally. Lightning Elementals are immune to electricity damage.

The Elemental possesses a single slam attack which deals damage according to its size. 1d4 when small, 1d6 when medium, 2d6 when large, 2d8 when huge.

Discharge (Ex): A Lightning Elemental’s slam attack deals bludgeoning damage plus additional 1d6 electric damage from the Elemental’s sparkling body. The additional damage done by this ability increases by an additional d6 for every 4 HD the elemental possesses. Those hit by a Lightning Elemental’s slam attack also must succeed on a Fortitude save or become Dazzled for 1d4 rounds. The save DC for this effect is 10 + ½ the Elemental’s HD + The Elemental’s Constitution Modifier.

Metal Mastery (Ex): An Lightning Elemental gains a +1 bonus on attack and damage rolls if its foe is wearing metal armor, is wielding a metal weapon, or is made of metal (such as an iron golem).

Bonus Feats: At second level, the Elemental gains Dodge as a bonus feat. At 5th level, the Elemental gains Mobility as a bonus feat. At 8th level, the Elemental gains Spring Attack as a bonus feat. At 11th level the Elemental gains Whirlwind Attack as a bonus feat. The Elemental gains the feats whether or not the Elemental meets the prerequisites. If the Elemental already possesses one of these feats whenever he receives it from the class, he instead choose another feat but must meet the prerequisites.

Ability Increase: The Lightning Elemental burns brightly in both body and soul. A Lightning Elemental receives a permanent increase to his constitution at 2nd, 4th, 7th, and 9th level. Additionally, the Elemental receives an increase to his dexterity score at 3rd, 5th, 8th, and 10th level. These increases total to be +4 to Constitution and +4 to Dexterity by 11th level.

Growth: An elemental grows quickly after its birth. At 3rd level, the elemental gains the ability to spend a standard action to grow to medium size.  It may remain this size for as long as it wishes and may also return to small size at anytime it wishes by spending another standard action. At 7th level, this ability expands allowing to elemental to assume large size. The elemental still changes size as a standard action but the elemental may only change by one size category on any given turn. So, for example, an elemental wishing to change from small to large would need two turns. One to achieve medium size and then another to grow to large. Finally, at 11th level, the elemental gains the ability to assume huge size.

Thunderbolt (Su): At 3rd level, a Lightning Elemental gains the ability to hurl lightning balls at his enemies. This is a ranged touch attack which has a range of 60ft. with no range increment. Using this ability requires one standard action and deals 1d6 for every HD the elemental possesses and an additional point of damage for every point of the elemental constitution modifier.

Electric Body  (Ex): At 4th level, The elemental gains DR/-, equal its 1/2 HD. Additionally, Creatures hitting a Lightning Elemental with natural weapons or unarmed attacks take electricity damage and are subject to being dazzledd  as though they were hit with the elemental's slam attack.

Fast as the Lightning  (Ex): At 5th level the Lightning elemental may fly at a speed of (10 x HD)ft, with perfect maneuverability. An Elemental cannot fly when wearing any armor heaver than light armor or when carrying any more than a light load.

Electromagnetic Shield (Su):
At 6th level, the incredible electric field of the Lightning Elemental deflects attacks. The elemental receives a deflection bonus to his AC equal to his Constitution modifier. This bonus improves to 1.5 times his Con Modifier when attacked by either a metallic weapon or electricity attack (such as a lightning bolt spell), or 2 times his Con modifier if both (such as an attack from a +1 Shock Greatsword).

Electric Leap (Su): At 7th level the Lightning Elemental can merge in his Thunderbolt and move without provoking AoO’s.
Aditionally when he hits a metalic object or a creature with his Thunderbolt he can arc to a number of secondary targets equal to his HD, the next target must be within 30’ the last one and can’t hit the same taget two times with the same Thunderbolt. You must make a diferent attack roll for every target. If he miss the attack the chain stops.
The Lightning Elemental will reappear adjacent to the last target whether he fails or not.

Electromagnetic Force (Su): At 9th level, the incredible electric field of the Lighning elemental can steal metallic items from his enemies. As an standard action he can Disarm metallic weapons from all his enemies without provoking AoO’s  in a range of 10’ for HD. He uses his Con modifier instead of Str and have a bonus of +4 to his check. Obiously the enemy can’t react attempting to disarm you.
He can also Bull Rush and Trip instead if the enemies are wearing metallic armor with the same procedure.

Defibrilation (Su): At 10th level one time for every 7 HD the Lightning Elemental can use his electricity to help an ally within 10’ per HD. If an ally fails bellow 0hp as an inmediate action the Elemental can set him to 1hp. If the ally is dead he can be revived without level loss if the Elemental uses this ability on him two rounds after his death or less.

Elder Elemental (Su): At 11th level, The Lightning Elemental has grown to its full strength and is considered to be amongst the grandest of its kind. The Elemental receives a +4 bonus to all bluff, diplomacy, and intimidation check regarding creatures with the air subtype. Additionally, the Elemental can call lightning to its aid. The Lightning Elemental can use summon monster V once a day for every 4 HD it possesses but may only us it to summon Lightning Elementals (Like Fire Elemental but with Air Elemental Fly Speed instead Land Speed, Metal Mastery, inmune to electricity instead of fire and his burn does electricity damage instead fire damage). At 13th level, and every two levels thereafter, the Lightning Elemental may use this ability to cast the next highest level summon monster spell to the maximum of summon monster IX at 19th level.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 02:21:43 AM by oslecamo »
Now I've lost it, I know I can kill. The truth exists beyond the Gate!

Offline veekie

• Spinner of Fortunes
  • Epic Member
  • Chaos Dice
    • View Profile
Re: Lightning Elemental
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 12:53:48 PM »
Electric Leap seems like it might work nicely as a kind of charge attack.
Everything is edible. Just that there are things only edible once per lifetime.
It's a god-eat-god world.

Procrastination is the thief of time; Year after year it steals, till all are fled,
And to the mercies of a moment leaves; The vast concerns of an eternal scene.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 06:03:54 PM »
Some references to flaming from the fire elemental copy-pasta.

reappear next to the last target is somewhat unclear. Did you mean adjacent?

Entanglement seems like a much stronger on-hit mechanic than anything the other elementals have. At least the extra damage should be reduced a little.

Offline Daedroth

• Neutronium Elemental
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 06:18:33 PM »

reappear next to the last target is somewhat unclear. Did you mean adjacent?

Yes.

Entanglement seems like a much stronger on-hit mechanic than anything the other elementals have. At least the extra damage should be reduced a little.

Ok, how about dazed?

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 06:28:17 PM »
Dazed is even stronger than entangled...

Offline Daedroth

• Neutronium Elemental
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 06:32:41 PM »
Dazed is even stronger than entangled...

Dazzled, sorryXD, I always confuse bothXD

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2012, 10:09:52 AM »
Dazzled works yes.

Another detail I noticed now is that the bonus feats are the exact same as the air elemental, and there should be some degree of diference there.

Offline Daedroth

• Neutronium Elemental
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2012, 12:43:19 PM »
Dazzled works yes.

Another detail I noticed now is that the bonus feats are the exact same as the air elemental, and there should be some degree of diference there.

The last one is Whirlwind Attack and the Air Elemental one was Flyby

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2012, 03:30:34 PM »
It still makes their second levels equal. At least change the first feat as well.

Offline Daedroth

• Neutronium Elemental
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2012, 03:37:44 PM »
It still makes their second levels equal. At least change the first feat as well.

The first feat is also diferent... well, the only one that is equal is the 5th level one, 1,8 and 11 is diferent.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2012, 03:43:22 PM »
No further critiques, added.

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
  • "Insight is the sudden cessation of stupidity."
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2012, 02:31:17 PM »
This should probably be stated to have the [Electricity] subtype.

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2012, 03:38:14 AM »
This should probably be stated to have the [Electricity] subtype.

No such thing. [Air] is the subtype for creatures like this.

Offline Rakoa

• No Problem
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2012, 05:23:58 PM »
I believe it was a joke. And a damn good one at that :P
The Paladin Code: Detect Evil, Smite it, ask questions later.

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2012, 09:05:21 PM »

Much as I would love to take credit, I was very tired when I wrote this, and had actually forgotten that.  I was just being lazy - rather than looking online, I searched in my spreadsheet to see if there was anything else that had [Electricity], and lo-and-behold, I found the Pyro/Cryo Hydra...  Oops...    :blush

I just posted a note in that thread to fix that issue.

Offline Daedroth

• Neutronium Elemental
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2012, 10:13:15 AM »

Much as I would love to take credit, I was very tired when I wrote this, and had actually forgotten that.  I was just being lazy - rather than looking online, I searched in my spreadsheet to see if there was anything else that had [Electricity], and lo-and-behold, I found the Pyro/Cryo Hydra...  Oops...    :blush

I just posted a note in that thread to fix that issue.

you should erase that [Electricity] in your Index.

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2012, 12:16:01 PM »
you should erase that [Electricity] in your Index.

I already deleted it in my spreadsheet.  I just haven't posted an updated version yet.

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2017, 01:50:43 PM »
Metal Mastery is worded confusingly. If it's meant that both the elemental and target must meet one or more of the criteria, it should read:
Metal Mastery (Ex): A Lightning Elemental gains a +1 bonus on attack and damage rolls if both it and its opponent are wearing metal armor, are wielding any metal weapons, or are made of metal (such as an iron golem).

However, a lightning elemental isn't proficient with weapons or armor, and is likely to be hitting with its slam attack. Therefore, I'd propose changing it to the following:
Metal Mastery (Ex): A Lightning Elemental gains a +1 bonus on attack and damage rolls if its target is wearing metal armor, is wielding a metal weapon, or is made of metal (such as an iron golem).

Electric Body still references the slam attack entangling enemies, rather than dazzling as it was changed to.

Electromagnetic Shield is also worded somewhat oddly. I'd suggest changing it to:
 At 6th level, the incredible electric field of the Lightning Elemental deflects attacks. The elemental receives a deflection bonus to his AC equal to his Constitution modifier. This bonus improves to 1.5 times his Con Modifier when attacked by either a metallic weapon or electricity attack (such as a lightning bolt spell), or 2 times his Con modifier if both (such as an attack from a +1 Shock Greatsword).

Also, a question: Can a Lightning Elemental give up its Growth ability in exchange for physical ability score bonus like normal, given that it has the option of choosing its size? As per the alternate rule, it's not being forced to change, so it could choose to remain in its normal size, so I'm guessing not.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2017, 02:24:07 AM »
Since the original author hasn't logged in for months, took the liberty of editing the improvements, and also updated the FAQ to allow elementals to trade growths for ability scores.