Author Topic: The Small Rants Thread XII: The Folly of Life  (Read 180176 times)

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
Re: The Small Rants Thread XII: The Folly of Life
« Reply #600 on: August 15, 2020, 08:43:16 PM »
belated Hugs upthread , even an extra page back

Rant -- that there's not enough ranting ...

Pre-emptive hugs downthread ; recognizing the Doctrine of Pre-emptive Hugs, is quite rather disputed (i.e. I don't consent to be hugged before knowing I need to be hugged either --- not that anyone can hug my kitty avatar's Tail anyway).

Hey  :fu hug you, you nasty mutha-hugger.
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • 50% Cripple, 50% Awesome. Flip a coin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: August 18, 2020, 07:48:37 PM »
Work is pulling the "we don't have to pay you overtime for your 16 hour shifts because we can define a work day as cutting right through the middle of your shift so each half is on a different day"

While it's true that they can define a workday as any 24-hour period, there's a stack of court rulings that says "your workday can't be defined in such a way that it denies overtime to anyone working more than 8 hours in a single shift. Working more than 8 hours in one shift and working more than 8 hours in a day are entirely different issues"

Offline Keldar

• Legendary Member
  • What's this button do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: August 19, 2020, 12:40:18 PM »
What idiotic douchenozzles.

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: August 27, 2020, 07:50:28 PM »
Today on "government paperwork is bullshit":
- Look online to find where to do my registration since the DMV isn't taking appointments.
- Go to the AAA listed as a partner.
- They tell me all they do is take payments, they have no authority to do things like change information, so my registration will cost me $500+
- I ask why, they say it's because the vehicle defaults to being listed as commercial, despite being a GMC Savanna base.
- So I pay the exorbitant amount, then move to the insurance person. They say "we don't insure commercial vehicles, sorry" YOU WERE RIGHT THERE NEXT TO ME WHILE THIS WHOLE THING HAPPENED AND YOU DIDN'T WARN ME.
- So I have to do the conversion, take pictures, send THOSE to their underwriters, who make an entirely non-transparent determination about whether it's an RV or not. During this time, I need to go pay for commercial insurance. Commercial insurance is upwards of $9000 for a private owner.

Oh, and the registration isn't valid yet because no smog certificate from the last owner.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 07:52:43 PM by Nytemare3701 »

Offline Psysama

• Personal Pizza
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dnd-wiki.org
« Reply #604 on: September 17, 2020, 02:18:57 PM »
Trying to get money saved up using my ko-fi account so that I can pay the landlord the pet deposit, but only got $57 saved of the $100 I need.  The sooner I can get him paid, the sooner I can get him out here to get some things fixed around here without fear of retribution for a surprise pet.  Ceiling is leaking (and there hasn't been rain in a while) garbage disposal is broke (can't use the kitchen sink), the wood under the sink is rotted, toilet barely flushes, shower is draining slowly, and I have to manually open the garage door (I can live with that one).  Damn it.
Signature here.

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: September 27, 2020, 02:24:05 AM »
Found an old external hard drive that I put in storage after it fell ~2 feet onto carpet and refused to spin up afterwards. Removed it from the enclosure and tried it on my PC, nothing happened. The files on it are really important to me and I have almost no visual memory so the media on it is ENTIRELY lost to me unless I recover it. I can't remember what they look like. I can barely remember how they sounded. This hurts a lot more than I was expecting. Data recovery is VERY expensive though, and I feel like I['m going to have to just swallow a bitter pill and let go of the only chance I have at recovering my memories of them.

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
  • No obstacle too great for the FLAMES IN MY HEART!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: September 27, 2020, 03:46:37 PM »
Found an old external hard drive that I put in storage after it fell ~2 feet onto carpet and refused to spin up afterwards. Removed it from the enclosure and tried it on my PC, nothing happened. The files on it are really important to me and I have almost no visual memory so the media on it is ENTIRELY lost to me unless I recover it. I can't remember what they look like. I can barely remember how they sounded. This hurts a lot more than I was expecting. Data recovery is VERY expensive though, and I feel like I['m going to have to just swallow a bitter pill and let go of the only chance I have at recovering my memories of them.
It's not gonna get better if you do nothing, but it's not gonna get WORSE, either. It can wait until you're in a better financial position to recover them.
Kami darou ga akuma darou ga, ore no michi ni tateru mono NASHI!!

Give me internets. Now.

Offline altpersona

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
    • You are here
« Reply #607 on: September 28, 2020, 01:50:38 PM »
did it feel like it had disks spinning?

iv seen videos of rehardwaring a drive, but it does not look Fun.
The goal of power is power. - 1984
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow
The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga still sux.

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: September 29, 2020, 01:11:03 PM »

Doesn't spin up at all, which usually means it's seized or the controller is fucked and not supplying power properly. Either way it means taking it apart. How do we at this stage in our data tech not have a device you can just stick the platters on to do a single read from, writing the data to cheap drive? 20 years ago we could write from a halfway-degaussed magnetic tape drive to digital device, with no further loss of data. Now we can't even do a raw write. I get that it's much more complicated tech, but you'd think reliable data recovery would be an important factor in a ubiquitous product like hard drives.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 01:15:16 PM by Nytemare3701 »

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: September 29, 2020, 08:26:50 PM »

Doesn't spin up at all, which usually means it's seized or the controller is fucked and not supplying power properly. Either way it means taking it apart. How do we at this stage in our data tech not have a device you can just stick the platters on to do a single read from, writing the data to cheap drive? 20 years ago we could write from a halfway-degaussed magnetic tape drive to digital device, with no further loss of data. Now we can't even do a raw write. I get that it's much more complicated tech, but you'd think reliable data recovery would be an important factor in a ubiquitous product like hard drives.

That's why all businesses store their data on drives in a RAID.  My personal data storage drives are in a RAID specifically to help reduce data loss (plus also in the cloud).

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
  • Trapped on another Earth that isn't home
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: September 30, 2020, 09:50:00 AM »

That's why all businesses store their data on drives in a RAID.  My personal data storage drives are in a RAID specifically to help reduce data loss (plus also in the cloud).

Thhe cloud you say

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: September 30, 2020, 05:26:30 PM »
That's why my stuff isn't only in the cloud.  :lmao

Offline Keldar

• Legendary Member
  • What's this button do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: October 01, 2020, 06:23:58 AM »
That's why I still have a DVD burner from the Jurassic.

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: October 13, 2020, 10:05:42 PM »
   ~~~~ ____   |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
  Y_,___|[]|      |  :banghead Work Fuckery Train  :banghead  |
 {|_|_|_|PU|_,_|_________________________|
//oo---OO=OO     OOO     OOO    OOO

I have worked 40 hours already this week and have 32 more to go, both of which are back to back 16 hour shifts (16 on, 8 off, 16 on). They are denying me proper overtime pay still, and my manager has her head up her ass trying to prevent any form of schedule changes, while the supervisor is scrambling to actually fix her fuckups.

Coworker (V): Hey boss, I have a sore throat so I won't be coming in for the next 3 shifts, As per protocol, I arranged for them to be covered by my coworkers.
Boss (C): Total silence for multiple days.
Supervisor (T): Hey I heard V is sick, can you cover his shifts?
Me: Yeah, I already agreed to.
T: I haven't heard anything about that and it's not in the schedule. I'll let C know so it can be updated. If it's not on the schedule you aren't supposed to work it.
Me: Sounds good, I'll keep an eye out.
*Checks schedule day of shift*
Me: Huh, I'm still not scheduled, I guess they didn't want me getting the overtime and gave it to someone else.
*Drives 20 miles towards family to go do laundry*
C: "I just got a report of an abandoned post from our government client. What the hell is going on over there?"
Me: V is sick, we reported a shift cover agreement, but it was never finalized and I was told that I have to be listed to come in.
C: "An unmanned station is unacceptable, go clock in, since you are always on-site"
Me: "I'm actually 20 miles away, going to go do my laundry"
C: "Come back as soon as possible and clock in. I'll put you on the schedule.
*Second shift*
Me: "Oh look, I'm retroactively on the schedule for yesterday, but STILL not on the schedule for today. I'm gonna clock in anyway and they can bite me."
*Today*
C: "The client is upset about the shift cover, so I'm refusing all scheduling changes from now on"
*dumbfounded that C is explicitly denying the SOLUTION to spontaneous covers, and I happen to be standing next to the client, while they are on speakerphone with their superior*
Me: "Hey client, can you confirm this?"
Client: "What is she smoking? We just want the changes documented. You know, HER JOB."
Me: "Hey C, Client says they are fine with scheduling changes, you just need to document them"
C: "I spoke to the client already"
*Gnashing my teeth at the response that could either mean "and got the go ahead" or "and am pulling rank anyway"
Client later that day: "C needs to be replaced, almost every guard here is having a problem with them."
T: "Hey, can you extend your shift today from 8 to 16? Your relief called out."
Me: "You know that means I'm working 16 on, 8 off, 16 on right? C hasn't fixed the 'temporary' schedule that I was given to cover for the guy who quit, I'm still not being paid for it, and they just declared they are refusing all scheduling changes and blaming the client for it."
T: "Fuck man, I've got hours missing too, I'm gonna find someone above C to talk to. Cover this shift for me, I'll document it without her approval so you at the very least get paid normal overtime for the middle 16, and I'll get the rest of this shit sorted"
Me: "You know if V and I quit this contract is fucked right? You don't have anyone else with security clearance for a government site.
T: "Yeah, C needs to get their shit together"
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 10:19:13 PM by Nytemare3701 »

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: October 14, 2020, 05:36:50 PM »
I feel you.  They're fucking with my hours a little too.

Offline Psysama

• Personal Pizza
    • View Profile
« Reply #615 on: October 16, 2020, 07:34:30 PM »
The road goes ever on and on
Manager of the apartment is asking my wife and I to leave.  Got until the 13th of November to be out, but can't start moving into the new place until the 12th.  Manager isn't even waiting for us to leave before he gets it presentable for the next tenant.  Patching things up, that he should have fixed 2 months ago ("oh, my phone was broke"), right when we are hurting the most.  I don't care that he's making me suffer, at one point of my life I have or will deserve it.  A little upset that it is affecting my wife, but that is not what is boiling my blood.  I have one MAJOR principle: children are off limits.  I don't care who you hurt, who you steal from, or worse, BUT CHILDREN ARE OFF LIMITS! This is affecting children, and they are MY children, which is more infuriating.  He's putting profit over the lives of my children.

On a side note, if you can share the link with anyone who can spare $3, it would be very much appreciated.  I really hate asking for help, but for my family's sake, I have no choice.
Signature here.

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
  • No obstacle too great for the FLAMES IN MY HEART!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: October 16, 2020, 09:23:13 PM »
Would you be okay with me sharing this with a few friends, Psy?
Kami darou ga akuma darou ga, ore no michi ni tateru mono NASHI!!

Give me internets. Now.

Offline Psysama

• Personal Pizza
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: October 17, 2020, 09:08:10 AM »
That would be very appreciated  :)
Signature here.

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: October 17, 2020, 11:49:50 AM »
C sounds like a total C, and I've donated to you Psysama.

Offline Psysama

• Personal Pizza
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: October 17, 2020, 12:30:25 PM »
Thank you very much!
Signature here.