Author Topic: My first caster  (Read 2272 times)

Offline Deicidal

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
My first caster
« on: December 17, 2019, 03:07:08 PM »
I've been playing 3.x for over a decade and I'm now presented with the opportunity (demand) that I finally play my first caster type.  I've always opted to play melee or archer type characters.

The party I'll be joining consists primarily of new players who have had priority in picking thier roles. (I was nice enough to offer to build my character last to fill any needed gaps in the party).

As it stands the party currently has no skill monkey, ranged, or arcane caster.  Bard was the first direction researched, but haven't really found something that will do what I need...

1. Something that fills as many of the roles as possible.
2. Something optimized to the point that I can cover down on the parties lack of play experience.
3. Something quirky, and fun to roleplay.
4. Something playable at the starting level of 5, that will scale well as we level.

All physical books are allowed so far except for exalted deed, vile darkness, lost empires of faerun, and dragon magazine.

2x flaws are allowed
Trait is allowed

We start at lvl 5 with 9k gold, heavy warhorse, and a military saddle.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Skyrock

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
Re: My first caster
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2019, 04:05:30 PM »
Good picks to combine casting and skill monkeying are Factotum, Psychic Rogue and Spellthief (in conjuction with the Master Spellthief feat, and preferably the Able Learner feat to treat class skills forever as class skills).

Offline Deicidal

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2019, 06:07:44 PM »
The Spell Thief could be interesting as a few level dip....what i'm not finding is how long his stolen spells remain stolen...until used?

Offline Skyrock

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2019, 11:17:49 AM »
Stolen spells fizzle away after one hour when not used.

Offline KellKheraptis

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Temporal Dissonance Technician
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2019, 05:00:42 PM »
Love the user name - my cat is named Deicide :D

Have you considered psionics at all?  Even a tame version of my Chrono-Trancer can fulfill all of the above easily.  Also, have a look into Malconvoker, or at least a summoning-focused Wizard.  You can even Gish it up if you pick up Divine Power (usually via Arcane Disciple).

There's also an Unseen Seer build floating around that ticks off all three of those (skill monkey/sneak as you're basically a super-magical assassin with high Int, ranged via spells, arcane caster primary), and with the right defensive buffs, you'd be nearly unhittable in melee (mirror image, displacement, etc).  Gets 16-17 BAB by 20, and 9th level Wizard casting.

EDIT: Found it!

Factotum 1/Wizard 4/Unseen Seer 4/Abjurant Champion 5/Eldritch Knight 6

Play as a changeling.  This gets 9's and 4 iteratives naturally, as well, and if I recall, has the BAB to swing to drop a point, opening up 4 levels of Spellwarp Sniper in place of EK.  That allows you to nab up to 4th level pewpew from otherwise non-RTA spells (my usual go-to is something at least range medium, and ironically the much maligned Fireball works great for sniping with range-long, as long as you can change the energy type to something non-resistable, such as through Elven Spell Lore).

SWS optional of course, or if you really want to go over the top, see about getting 3+ levels of Incantatrix for insta-persist.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 06:09:59 PM by KellKheraptis »

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2019, 03:19:40 AM »
not that it helps the OP with the build, but i figured that i'd mention that Pathfinder has a demigod of deicide
add me on Steam- zook1shoe
- All Spells
- playground

Offline Power

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Rolling a boulder up a hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2019, 12:09:10 PM »
I'm inclined to recommend the Bard regardless simply because his party buff style with a bit of Inspire Courage optimization allows you to make what are likely underpowered characters much more capable at their jobs. Bard + Sublime Chord + Virtuoso is an easy enough trick. Not too crazy, but still a potent character, and with the right build can double as a backup archer and skill monkey.

Factotum is also an obvious pick if you just want to fill as many roles as possible.

Offline KellKheraptis

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2019, 05:37:28 PM »
I'm inclined to recommend the Bard regardless simply because his party buff style with a bit of Inspire Courage optimization allows you to make what are likely underpowered characters much more capable at their jobs. Bard + Sublime Chord + Virtuoso is an easy enough trick. Not too crazy, but still a potent character, and with the right build can double as a backup archer and skill monkey.

Factotum is also an obvious pick if you just want to fill as many roles as possible.

Oh, glad you mentioned this one, Power!  I'll edit it into this post, but I have a Bardzilla build using Sublime Chord and Lyric Thaumaturge that would do just fine at range as well (it gets Fire Shuriken and a massive Inspire Courage - cast during downtime and either fling by hand or even better, by Telekinesis).  All the usual tricks for melee bards, you've got plenty of skills, you're great at range, you're great at buffing and if you pick the right spells, debuff/crowd control, and finally you're a stellar party face.  Hell, between umpteen skill points bard builds tend to have and a couple spells, you could even pull off the sneaking part - almost a one man party.

Offline Endarire

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Smile! Jesus loves you!
    • View Profile
    • Greg Campbell's Portfolio
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2020, 09:11:27 PM »
For later, seriously consider a Druid.  Guide.  You can do a lot, just not all at once.

Offline KellKheraptis

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2020, 10:17:42 AM »
And if you REALLY want to go down the rabbit hole of quirky yet covering many roles (this time ALL ON TURN ZERO), ask about some of MMB's more refined psionic dishes.  My personal jewel uses Endarire's Hood principle on a psionic gish chassis that is capable of taking on the 10x100 challenge, the gish challenge (where you have to 1v1 a Hechatoncheires), and the Twice Betrayer of Shar challenge - all in the same day even if it wants to!

Possible roles:
- Primary melee.  You're a Hood/Dragoon - enemies fear your spear.
- Primary caster.  You have a manifester level that makes epic dragons wet their scales and the TBS become a commoner with feats.
- Primary scout.  Hard to beat instant movement options galore, never surprised, never DOESN'T go first.
- Primary damage.  While not built JUST for it, you have several very good blasting options, and SR/PR is a moot point.
- Primary "acquisitions".  Who needs a rogue for stealing McGuffins?  You can scry and steal with retrieve.  If you can see it, it's yours.
- Primary healer.  Well, not exactly, but between taking someone out of the time stream if they're about to die, to outright rewinding time, your preventative measures are second to none.
- Primary tank.  Entirely optional, but super high ML vigor means your HP total makes the barb cry, especially combined with your AC and even DR buffing capability.  Draw aggro and let the other team members have some fun!
- Primary transport.  Your schtick is teleporting.  You've got this.

Let me know if you want more details!

Offline Endarire

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Smile! Jesus loves you!
    • View Profile
    • Greg Campbell's Portfolio
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2020, 01:28:49 AM »
@Kell
Tell us more, Kell!