Author Topic: Is there a later entry 10 level prc that Fiendbinder?  (Read 1961 times)

Offline Nanashi

• it means "he who has no name" in a foreign tongue.
    • View Profile
Is there a later entry 10 level prc that Fiendbinder?
« on: August 16, 2020, 02:39:48 AM »
A question elsewhere led me to look at the truenamer prestige classes. I noticed Fiendbinder's requirements
Alignment: Any nongood
Skills: Knowledge (the planes) 10 ranks, Speak Language
(Abyssal), Speak Language (Infernal), Truespeak 10 ranks
Spells: Ability to cast summon monster IV

The writing on typical entry indicates this is indeed not for Truenamers, but for casters with Truespeak ranks, so that's not jank (even if it wouldn't be out of character for 2/3rds of Tome of Magic...). What looks like jank to me is it's a full length prestige class you can't qualify for till level 9 (8 if there's some way to get truespeak as a class skill without a dip). Is there a non-epic prestige class that takes as long or longer to qualify for and has 10(+?) levels?

Offline KellKheraptis

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Temporal Dissonance Technician
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a later entry 10 level prc that Fiendbinder?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2020, 03:14:06 AM »
A question elsewhere led me to look at the truenamer prestige classes. I noticed Fiendbinder's requirements
Alignment: Any nongood
Skills: Knowledge (the planes) 10 ranks, Speak Language
(Abyssal), Speak Language (Infernal), Truespeak 10 ranks
Spells: Ability to cast summon monster IV

The writing on typical entry indicates this is indeed not for Truenamers, but for casters with Truespeak ranks, so that's not jank (even if it wouldn't be out of character for 2/3rds of Tome of Magic...). What looks like jank to me is it's a full length prestige class you can't qualify for till level 9 (8 if there's some way to get truespeak as a class skill without a dip). Is there a non-epic prestige class that takes as long or longer to qualify for and has 10(+?) levels?

The one from ToB that gives you double turns, and Focluchan Lyrist are both enter at 11 10 level PrCs, I believe?

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2020, 06:28:09 AM »
This is a class specifically designed for the Truename Training feat which turns it into a class skill. Although, as you pointed out it's so late it's not a very useful class.

Offline Keldar

• Legendary Member
  • What's this button do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2020, 03:38:10 PM »
Magelord from Lost Empires of Faerun requires 5th level spells and Evasion as a class or racial ability.  Making it impossible to enter before 12th level (One level later than Fochluan Lyricist), or finish all 10 levels without the Epic rules.   To the best of my knowledge, the only non-epic PrC that does that.  Even the 13 level Void Disciple is available for entry after 7th.

Archmage and Hirophant both require 7th level spells, but are only 5 levels long.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2020, 11:28:42 PM »
Magelord is doable pre epic. You just need a funky accelerated casting combo to pull it off.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2020, 03:00:29 PM »
I came up with a Magelord build that doesn't need any sort of accelerated casting to complete it pre-epic. It's doable but tricky.

http://bg-archive.minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=3589.0

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2020, 07:21:52 PM »
I came up with a Magelord build that doesn't need any sort of accelerated casting to complete it pre-epic. It's doable but tricky.

http://bg-archive.minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=3589.0

There's so much we did on BG.

Offline Arz

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • New season
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2020, 09:56:17 PM »
Battle scion (UA), legacy champion (WoL).

Offline TiaC

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Is this to be?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2020, 03:56:17 AM »
Disciple of Ashardalon from Draconomicon requires BAB +18. It is a 12 level PrC though. Similarly, dispassionate watcher of Chronepsis requires 20 ranks in two knowledges for a 12 level class. Illithid savant requires you to be a ECL 15 race.