Author Topic: The Crown's Courtyard (OOC general discussion)  (Read 37401 times)

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
Re: The Crown's Courtyard (OOC general discussion)
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2019, 05:20:10 PM »
Thunderlance does force damage, it has the force descriptor on the spell. I've never seen an arguement against that as well, at least  :lmao

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2019, 05:27:32 PM »
The original 3.0 version had it dealing damage as a spear, so I wasn't sure.

Offline Skyrock

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2019, 08:04:40 PM »
Question: What does the general public within the milieu think of Fiendish Grafts?

Fiend Folio p.210 states:
When characters with fiendish grafts interact with nonevil NPCs, a –6 circumstance penalty is applied on all Charisma-based checks (Diplomacy, Bluff, and so on).
This penalty applies even if the NPC is unaware of the graft’s presence, since it reflects the subtle twisting of the host’s personality.

Haven't applied that modifier to my character sheet, but could do so. (Although I think that out of all Cha-skills Intimidate should be explicitely spared - anyone willingly splicing fiendish genetic material with their own body has proven that they do not fuck around.)

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2019, 09:07:37 PM »
Os, if you didn't see I sent you a PM.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2019, 09:16:24 PM »
Added some fluff drafts for androids and awakened crabs.

Question: What does the general public within the milieu think of Fiendish Grafts?

Fiend Folio p.210 states:
When characters with fiendish grafts interact with nonevil NPCs, a –6 circumstance penalty is applied on all Charisma-based checks (Diplomacy, Bluff, and so on).
This penalty applies even if the NPC is unaware of the graft’s presence, since it reflects the subtle twisting of the host’s personality.

Haven't applied that modifier to my character sheet, but could do so. (Although I think that out of all Cha-skills Intimidate should be explicitely spared - anyone willingly splicing fiendish genetic material with their own body has proven that they do not fuck around.)
Hmmm, fair enough to don't apply the penalty to Intimidate.

So like with Nanshork's character, would you prefer your character to be one of a kind or for there to be an awakened crab country or even crab communities around the world?  :p
I kinda like there being awakened crab communities, that sounds dope.  Thanks for the other answers, I'll take that all into consideration. Level 10 is enough to go up to King Crab, and I think I may just take the leadership type thing - maybe I can work in some sort of splinter/outcast story into my background as a high ranking member of the Awakened Crab community?
Sure, the crab fluff I added should allow for that, probably some succession conflict. I think you can work your character's personal story details more from what I've already written.

If I use the fiddler crab extra large pincer to attack in a round, can I also use it as a shield? My guess would be probably not, but just wanna check.
Like a shield, if you use it to attack you can't use it to defend, but you can also take that fighter feat that allows to do so with a shield to apply to your pincer.

Bonus question: Taking violinist crab, do I need do make the enhanced claw have at least +1 in order to be able to have other effects on it? If not, would it still count as magical for bypassing DR/magic if I filled it with enhancements that weren't just +1?
You can skip the boring +1 and it'll still count as magic.

I can't drop Slow! I'm drunk! Drunks are not fast!

Also I picked my flaws before my traits so the Illiterate choice was actually unintentional cheese. I just think of it like even though I spent skill points to learn a language I still will never be able to read. Readings for losers.

I'll take the 50/50 on the test battles. Thank you kindly. It is surprisingly tough to tone down when using your content -_-'

Heh, at least it is tonable down.  :P

You did mention low HPish, so what are your odds of tanking standard blasting like a maximized empowered flame strike powered by divine metamagic?

At least once, then maneuver RNG sets in. :lmao

I can foresee problems with that maneuver RNG recovering whatever I expend to get Soul Spear. That'll be something.

Does that deal piercing damage or force damage or what? Thunderlance-the-spell (specifically, the 3.5 version) isn't clear.

Basic statblock, class selections and maneuvers. Flaws and traits still to do, plus Personal Maid (which from a roleplaying perspective is rather necessary due to Diabolic Wave potentially making me need help to eat. :p)

Evaluating fights is a little tricky because I have double resource management going on and the forbidden price reduces my ability to utilise other vampire stuff/enhance maneuvers. Going nova is definitely an option but then considering possible other fights, painful.

Thunderlance force damage.

Also for simulations, assume you get 8 hours of daily rest to remove forbidden penalties and 4 battles per day.

Os, if you didn't see I sent you a PM.
Yeah just saw it now, will anser next, somehow the e-mail warnings aren't being sent.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2019, 09:36:42 PM »
Email alerts aren't being caught by spam filters, are they?

Wyrmling 3; very young 4; young 6; juvenile 8; young adult 11; adult 14; mature adult 16; old 18; very old 19; ancient 21; wyrm 23; great wyrm 25

I assume we're considering a young adult dragon and not a young one?

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2019, 09:40:11 PM »
Email alerts aren't being caught by spam filters, are they?
Always check the spam filter just in case, and PM messages ended there sometimes, but now they aren't even there.

Wyrmling 3; very young 4; young 6; juvenile 8; young adult 11; adult 14; mature adult 16; old 18; very old 19; ancient 21; wyrm 23; great wyrm 25

I assume we're considering a young adult dragon and not a young one?
Correct young adult CR 11.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2019, 10:17:17 PM »
Hm. I'm running into a particular problem from the way Eternal Royal and Vampire Lord interact: doubled Cha to AC. Even assuming favourable conditions for the enemies (AKA: hovering out of reach and just attacking from a distance isn't an issue), they have enough trouble hitting that it takes forever to hit. Could I just... lose the Cha to Nat AC on top of the Str to Nat AC?

Because I looked at other base adepts and they seem like compatibility head aches. Moon Agent is fluffwise insane and its mean class feature blocks using SLAs of any sort plus gives more AC; Gate Guard could never recover maneuvers because of not using unarmed strikes (and thus all class features are wasted except STR to HP and fort saves, but ~+60 HP and then CHA as hardness occasionally...); various others are dual-casters which is insanely complicated. And then Scholar just requires rebuilding the entire character with the same weird caveat about features that make no sense if you aren't using on of the unarmed schools. Let alone touching Oni Brawler...

Since vampire into vampire lord are templates/prcs, maybe they should have an anti-stacking clause and only add 1 if it would double up instead? Because there's various classes over the place which add CHA or STR to AC and then you get this mess.

Other thing that came up whilst I was thinking.

Vampire Might: By expending one Blood Charge, the Vampire gains a +1 untyped bonus to an ability score of his choice for one hour. Multiple uses of this power for the same ability score stack, but any bonuses granted by this ability for a single ability score cannot exceed the Vampire's HD.

Even without ability score duplicating, with a single level of vampire that ability is disgustingly good. It's sort of costly but STR/CHA are never things you wouldn't want to boost in a pinch, and once vampire lord hits that's an easy +HD/2 to all attacks and AC or all save DCs and AC and so on.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 10:24:06 PM by Raineh Daze »

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
  • No obstacle too great for the FLAMES IN MY HEART!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2019, 11:09:38 PM »
Well, it IS pretty insane, though let's take a closer look...

Taking my own character as an example. Dude has 60 blood charges max (10 HD times a score mod of +6). If he chose to up his charisma to 32, that would give him a new whooping maximum of 110 charges.

In order to fill back up to max, he would need to make a total of 60 successful drain attacks (30 in a Septette stance because of Light Eater). Even assuming he drains one Con at a time to savor the meal, that would mean he'd need 30 points worth of Constitution in snacks to top himself off, so... we're basically talking about a freakin' bloodbath here.

In theory though, he could just have what I'd like to call a "Blood Doll" handy. This is basically a character with Naberius bound and Con pumped through the roof. Let's say... 18 con. He drains up to 16 points of con and gains 64 blood charges, and 16 hours later, she's all set to be sucked dry again.

...You know, I could actually see a market for "foodstuffs" designed that way...

EDIT: And on that note, can I have a Blood Doll Einherjar?  :D
EDIT2: What happens if one blood drains a creature summoned through Nocturne in the Moonlight?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 11:12:41 PM by Kuroimaken »
Kami darou ga akuma darou ga, ore no michi ni tateru mono NASHI!!

Give me internets. Now.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2019, 11:13:55 PM »
Who cares about the max blood charges up? Except for some interactions with Septette for the Dead and Diabolic Wave, it only lasts an hour so it's not super relevant.

It's more the ability to casually add +HD to your AC (with Vamp Lord), 1/2 HD to saves, 1/2 HD to attack and damage, 1/2 HD to save DCs... reminder that non-epic item bonuses top out at +6, +11 with manuals. You can exceed that and stack it with these buffs too.

It's expensive short term, but the ability to skyrocket your stats like that is way too good.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 11:23:59 PM by Raineh Daze »

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2019, 11:55:16 PM »
Who cares about the max blood charges up? Except for some interactions with Septette for the Dead and Diabolic Wave, it only lasts an hour so it's not super relevant.

It's more the ability to casually add +HD to your AC (with Vamp Lord), 1/2 HD to saves, 1/2 HD to attack and damage, 1/2 HD to save DCs... reminder that non-epic item bonuses top out at +6, +11 with manuals. You can exceed that and stack it with these buffs too.

It's expensive short term, but the ability to skyrocket your stats like that is way too good.

Exactly why I'm letting my Pure Metal class feature go unused. It's too much.

Edit: Except now the change to Oni Brawler requires me to redo all my defensive choices again when i was finished -_-
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 12:13:51 AM by ketaro »

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2019, 12:21:29 AM »
Meanwhile I'll redo my sheet... maybe tomorrow, but probably Tuesday. I think the AC nerf brings things more in line with how they should be for me.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2019, 12:27:07 AM »
I'm changing my classes around so I'm also needing to redo my sheet.  My basic theme is staying the same.

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
  • No obstacle too great for the FLAMES IN MY HEART!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2019, 01:02:22 AM »

Hey, that was ONE use. I was just illustrating how it can get really crazy to go back and forth on those charges short-term.

Also, seems like that's less a problem with being able to pump up those scores and a problem with those scores applying to pretty much everything.
Kami darou ga akuma darou ga, ore no michi ni tateru mono NASHI!!

Give me internets. Now.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2019, 01:06:39 AM »
Ok, that's ability score to stat stacking nerfed accross ToBhou and monster classes as per Raineh Daze's suggestions.

Edit: Except now the change to Oni Brawler requires me to redo all my defensive choices again when i was finished -_-

Isn't that just AC? You could just grab some basic armor and shield and that should do the trick.

Which reminds me just to be sure, your character sheet's attack bonus seems to have you performing iteratives with all of your unarmed strikes and natural weapons. That's a typo or actually you have something that allows you to pump iteratives with all of that? Because I did the combat math assuming no iteratives from you.

In theory though, he could just have what I'd like to call a "Blood Doll" handy. This is basically a character with Naberius bound and Con pumped through the roof. Let's say... 18 con. He drains up to 16 points of con and gains 64 blood charges, and 16 hours later, she's all set to be sucked dry again.

...You know, I could actually see a market for "foodstuffs" designed that way...

EDIT: And on that note, can I have a Blood Doll Einherjar?  :D
EDIT2: What happens if one blood drains a creature summoned through Nocturne in the Moonlight?

One "blood doll".

Nocturne in the Moonlight would make blood charges from summons last until you use Children from the Night again (unless you spend them first).

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2019, 01:11:34 AM »
Rebuilding character sheet will be slightly delayed as I try to figure out a second class for my build, I'm replacing both of my original choices.

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2019, 01:40:31 AM »
I cant use equipment im poooooor  :P

Each listed weapon is listed as if i was doing a fullattack with that individual weapon. I dont have multiattack so i cant do unarmed alongside bites and claws.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2019, 02:08:46 AM »
Unarmed Strikes and Natural Weapons

Just as a creature can add weapon attacks to a full attack made with natural weapons, so too can it combine unarmed attacks with natural weapons. Two options are available to accomplish this task.

A creature can choose to treat its unarmed attacks as its primary attacks and its natural weapons as secondary attacks. (This method is normally used to add weapon attacks to a natural attack routine.) The creature must make all unarmed attacks with its primary limb, which prevents that hand from being used for a natural attack such as a claw or slam. It uses its full base attack bonus for the natural attack, gaining additional attacks as normal for a high base attack bonus, and adds its full Strength bonus on damage rolls. Of course, each of these attacks provokes an attack of opportunity if the target is unarmed (unless the creature has Improved Unarmed Strike). However, its natural weapons all become secondary attacks, taking the -5 penalty on attack rolls (or -2 with the Multiattack feat) and adding only half the monster's Strength bonus on damage rolls.

A simpler method is to treat the creature's unarmed attack as an off-hand attack. (After all, an unarmed strike is rarely as effective as a weapon attack would be, so it doesn't really merit the same level of priority in the average monster's attack array.) Instead of using its primary limb to deliver the unarmed attack, it uses a kick, head butt, or other appendage that isn't otherwise used to deliver a natural attack. The creature gains one unarmed strike, which deals damage appropriate to its size plus half its Strength bonus (since it's an off-hand attack). A creature using this method suffers a -4 penalty on all attacks (since it's effectively fighting with two weapons and its off-hand weapon is light). The damage for its natural attacks is unchanged. This method requires fewer calculations on the fly, so it's probably easier to use in play.

By default you can combine natural attacks and (iterative) unarmed strikes, multiattack just reduced the secondary penalty. I assumed you were combining unarmed kicks (or wings) with hand-claws and biting.

However you cannot make iteratives with natural weapons unless you have a specific special ability for that.

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2019, 03:31:52 AM »
Ive literally never played like that cause that sounds dumb to be able to do, no offense.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2019, 03:51:11 AM »
Well if you self-restrict your character to either unarmed strikes or clawing or biting then I'm not complaining. :P

EDIT: Red-did the math and you can still about solo one young adult blue dragon with punching alone, the claw and bite damage were kinda minor, somewhat tight but your initiative's much higher so you're bound to get the first hit and thus stay ahead in the damage race.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 04:04:33 AM by oslecamo »