Author Topic: Discussion and Suggestion Thread  (Read 24940 times)

Offline samnemath

• View Profile
Re: Discussion and Suggestion Thread
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2012, 05:40:38 AM »
Initial Question: There isn't a skillful class because I'm not entirely sure what a skillful class would entail other than skill points.  What sort of class features would a skillful class have?  For those reasons, there is not skillful class.

Well a lot of skills but I think the mainly difference would be increased adaptability rather than raw power. I have some ideas and may write a class but I suck at homebrew. Here are some classes I will steal mechanics, ideas or just take inspiration from if I get around to it. 1 2 and a third one, in which you choose each day a different archetype (warrior, mage, rogue etc), but I can't find it now

Edit 4: For Wild Harmonic + Technician class levels, you add the two tama pools.
So you gain you Con two times?

Edit 6: The Download Technique feat gives access to a single technique.  It can be taken multiple times.  It is designed to work with Wild Harmonic.

Must have missed that.

Thanks for looking at my stuff!

No problem. This stuff are great! Do you have plans to add to it?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 05:10:50 PM by samnemath »

Offline DonQuixote

• Epic Member
  • What is sickness to the body of a knight errant?
    • View Profile
    • The Spellshaping Codices (Homebrew Board)
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2012, 03:17:47 AM »
Edit 4: For Wild Harmonic + Technician class levels, you add the two tama pools.
So you gain you Con two times?

She's making incoherent gurgling noises as she goes to bed.  Let's assume no, shall we?

Also, yeah, racial feats are terrible.
“Hast thou not felt in forest gloom, as gloaming falls on dark-some dells, when comes a whisper, hum and hiss; savage growling sounds a-near, dazzling flashes around thee flicker, whirring waxes and fills thine ears: has thou not felt then grisly horrors that grip thee and hold thee?”

Offline samnemath

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2012, 06:19:57 AM »
Well, I don't know, they are not that bad. They are usually at least interesting and sometimes the only way to keep racial abilities relevant in high levels. Unless you mean coming up with them is terrible, in that case you are probably right.  :)
You did a fine job in  Spellshaping Codices though.

Here are a couple more feats. I am not sure about balance or usefulness. They just came to me. i hope you don't mind me posting them.
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 10:44:46 AM by samnemath »

Offline Hanako Tachibana

• Honorary Mod
  • Witch of Funerals
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2012, 12:55:29 AM »
I'll look into some of the skill stuff, but I'm not promising anything.

You don't gain Con to tama twice.  I should probably make that more clear somewhere.

I don't actually oppose Racial Feats as a concept, but I really don't want to make them~

I do intend to make more Records material.  Miko really needs at least Archetype, after all.  I might also make some akashic monsters to populate the Amala Labyrinth.  Or some feats or wondrous items or something.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please wait warmly until it is ready.

Offline DonQuixote

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2012, 02:46:48 AM »
Unless you mean coming up with them is terrible, in that case you are probably right.  :)

I did, yeah.  It was...unpleasant.

Miko really needs at least Archetype, after all.

You know you want to.
“Hast thou not felt in forest gloom, as gloaming falls on dark-some dells, when comes a whisper, hum and hiss; savage growling sounds a-near, dazzling flashes around thee flicker, whirring waxes and fills thine ears: has thou not felt then grisly horrors that grip thee and hold thee?”

Offline Agita

• He Who Lurks
  • *stare*
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2012, 07:18:27 AM »
The current miko seems to be largely intended as a defensive supporter. Maybe an archetype that makes it more offensive in nature?

You know you want to.
Also, this has all of my approval.
Please send private messages regarding board matters to Forum Staff instead.

Offline veekie

• Spinner of Fortunes
  • Epic Member
  • Chaos Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2012, 11:58:39 AM »
The current miko seems to be largely intended as a defensive supporter. Maybe an archetype that makes it more offensive in nature?

You know you want to.
Also, this has all of my approval.
I think maybe an alternate miko with dances that cause BFC effects? Change the terrain temporarily while she dances. Bring the realm of the gods to the mortal plane in the area of her performance!
Everything is edible. Just that there are things only edible once per lifetime.
It's a god-eat-god world.

Procrastination is the thief of time; Year after year it steals, till all are fled,
And to the mercies of a moment leaves; The vast concerns of an eternal scene.

Offline Hanako Tachibana

• Honorary Mod
  • Witch of Funerals
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2012, 12:47:14 AM »
So, uh, I might have just made a Fey akashic race.  I'm not going to say this is because I just made a Magic the Gathering Lorwyn/Shadowmoor Faerie deck, but that is totally the reason.

In other news, I just spent way to much mental effort recalculating the koudelka's height and weight.

What's that?  More new?  The Puella Majo's Ovecharge class feature no longer provides the majo with free tama.  There should be some price for all the nova.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 10:40:07 PM by Hanako Tachibana »
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please wait warmly until it is ready.

Offline Hanako Tachibana

• Honorary Mod
  • Witch of Funerals
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 09, 2012, 11:58:27 PM »
By the Kami, everything is pretty now.

In other news, Puella Majo have a new class feature.  They also lose fewer hexes.  Also, download my pdf and look at how pretty it is.  I WANT TO DEVOUR YOUR COMPLIMENTS.

Maybe I should go to bed...
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 02:03:15 AM by Hanako Tachibana »

Offline Bauglir

• Constrained
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 11, 2012, 02:48:51 PM »
Before I begin ye Post of Criticism, I should mention that I love the system's basic rules. Elegant, sensible, and occupying a pretty good spot between using precedent and incorporating novelty, so that you get the sense that it's new without having to strain yourself to compare it to what's come before.

Moving on to the less complimenty stuff, which I'm gonna keep updating as I read through this:
Devil in the Details should probably have "spell" changed to "class feature".

Blindsight and See in Darkness are pretty redundant (blindsight is strictly better) as mutations, so you might consider lowering See in Darkness to a lower level, or lifting the range limitation. Similarly, darkvision is kind of a weak choice compared to the other initiate options, particularly since it's such a common racial trait.

Devour needs to specifically let you attack a creature you've pinned; the default grapple rules specify that you can't attack when you're pinning, only make a grapple check to deal damage as if by an unarmed strike (which a bite attack isn't). The original rules are silent on natural attacks specifically, but the Rules Compendium lists them alongside manufactured weapon attacks, when discussing your options in a grapple.

Explicit statements about stacking need to be made in rules that seem designed to allow you to spend tama for cumulative bonuses (a kagaribito's Pyros Reactor, for instance). Since same-typed bonuses don't stack, for instance, you could only ever get a +1 racial bonus out of it no matter how much tama you spent (for instance, spending 5 would leave you with 5 separate +1 bonuses, as worded currently).

Also, in related news, kagaribitos are kind of crazy-awesome; a racial trait that scales that well with level is really good, particularly with a lingering duration instead of a one-time-event sort of thing (one attack roll, one save, etc). The best analogue is probably an elan. Aberration vs living construct is probably a wash in terms of awesome types, but I think a kagaribito has access to more powerful abilities, and doesn't have net negative ability scores. You might add another ability score penalty to balance this out (note that the standard living construct, the Warforged, also has a net negative).

EDIT: Read through the stuff that isn't techniques or feats, which I'll probably look at in more detail if and when I build an akashic character.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 04:32:45 PM by Bauglir »

Offline Hanako Tachibana

• Honorary Mod
  • Witch of Funerals
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 11, 2012, 04:53:55 PM »
Devil in the Details now says "class feature" where previously it said "spell."

See in Darkness was dropped to initiate, Darkvision was dropped to apprentice, and Low-Light Vision was dropped entirely.

I believe the "A world eater can make bite attacks against opponents that she has pinned" line in the Devour description specifically let you attack a creature you've pinned.

Pyros Reactor has been reworded to make bonuses scale.

Kagaribito Pyros Reactor bonuses have been returned to only lasting for a single round.  Does this help matters?

In other news, the Scoundrel Meister Archetype has been added, for those meisters who want a bit of rogue.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 04:58:49 PM by Hanako Tachibana »

Offline Bauglir

• Constrained
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 11, 2012, 06:33:21 PM »
In order: Cool, cool, oops can't believe I missed that, cool, yeah probably.

Scoundrels are generally a classy character type to enable for any system, so w00t

Offline Hanako Tachibana

• Honorary Mod
  • Witch of Funerals
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 23, 2012, 05:44:25 PM »
The very first akashic prestige class, the Stitch Witch, has been added.  I plan on adding at least three more prestige classes, one for each icon.  I have vague ideas for the moon one, the sun one is likely to be some sort of paladin, and the star one is going to be something martial.  As always, I do things when I get ideas, so I can't say when the other PrCs will come into existence.

Offline veekie

• Spinner of Fortunes
  • Epic Member
  • Chaos Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 23, 2012, 07:30:45 PM »
Will there be giant explosions?
Everything is edible. Just that there are things only edible once per lifetime.
It's a god-eat-god world.

Procrastination is the thief of time; Year after year it steals, till all are fled,
And to the mercies of a moment leaves; The vast concerns of an eternal scene.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 23, 2012, 07:42:35 PM »
I don't think I mentioned it yet, but I really like the Koudelka Flitter ability.

Now, the new PrC...

Spare Parts: Does the +5 DC include the +2 DC increases for adding extra d8s healed, or do they have to be added separately (eg: does a DC 20 Heal check replace a limb and heal 1d8 or 3d8 damage)?
   What happens if the limb you used to replace your own was a graft... or a Hand of Vecna?
   A failed check by 5 irreparably destroys the materials. How much material do you actually need (and thus destroy) when you're not transplanting full limbs? What if you're doing this with an indestructible artifact like the Hand or Eye (or Head) of Vecna?
   If you use the limb of a summoned or called creature, what happens to your "new" limb once the creature is unsummoned/banished?
   What happens once you've replaced the entirety of your body (like the old joke about the axe that's been in the family for generations, but had the head replaced three times and the handle replaced five times)? What if you do it out of Animated Object/Golem parts?

Stitched Body: What happens to a Stitch Witch who didn't have a Con score before gaining the Stitched subtype?

Lingering Curse and friends: How does this interact with 1 round duration techniques (normally not applicable) that are then extended with Extend Technique to 2 rounds (applicable)? Most of these seem to go best with an Extended Distort Balance.

Offline Hanako Tachibana

• Honorary Mod
  • Witch of Funerals
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 23, 2012, 08:41:01 PM »
Spare Parts:
  Lets say that a DC 20 technician level check replaces a limb and heals 3d8 damage.  That doesn't seem problematic, does it?
  I'll put in a note that you can only use 'mundane' materials as spare parts.  Grafts and Vecna-bits use their own rules.
  I'm currently operating under a 1 corpse 1 heal assumption.  I shall adjust this to a 1 small corpse 1 heal assumption, with 1 medium corpse being equal to 2 small corpses, etc.  The above statement should take care of the magical body parts of vecna problem.  Though I would like to comment that something being indestructible probably means it is indestructible, and as such would not be destroyed.
  If the mundane parts only limitation does not affect summoned things, I would say that the parts to incorporate into yourself remain, maintained by the necrotic tama flowing through your body.
  What happens when you replace all of your body?  You mean, you didn't already do that in the process of becoming a stitch witch?  Nothing special happens.  Mundane limitation says no to golem parts.

Stitched Body:
  I honestly could not tell you what would happen in such a situation.  Lets say you keep your lack of a Con score.  I'll add in a note.

Curses:
  I'll change the limit to 3 rounds or greater.  This means you can't make a lingering induce fear until your tama capacity goes up by a bit or you extend it, but that is probably fine.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 23, 2012, 08:52:57 PM »
Spare Parts:
  Lets say that a DC 20 technician level check replaces a limb and heals 3d8 damage.  That doesn't seem problematic, does it?

Not a problem at all. Clarity is all I seek.

I'll put in a note that you can only use 'mundane' materials as spare parts.  Grafts and Vecna-bits use their own rules.
  I'm currently operating under a 1 corpse 1 heal assumption.  I shall adjust this to a 1 small corpse 1 heal assumption, with 1 medium corpse being equal to 2 small corpses, etc.  The above statement should take care of the magical body parts of vecna problem.  Though I would like to comment that something being indestructible probably means it is indestructible, and as such would not be destroyed.

What about when you're not a Medium/Small creature? Needing a full Small corpse to stitch up a fly-sized witch makes little sense.

If the mundane parts only limitation does not affect summoned things, I would say that the parts to incorporate into yourself remain, maintained by the necrotic tama flowing through your body.
  What happens when you replace all of your body?  You mean, you didn't already do that in the process of becoming a stitch witch?  Nothing special happens.  Mundane limitation says no to golem parts.

Then you'll have to clarify what "mundane" fully entails, because golem parts seem mundane to me. Flesh and Dragonflesh Golems are even built from regular old corpses.

Stitched Body:
  I honestly could not tell you what would happen in such a situation.  Lets say you keep your lack of a Con score.  I'll add in a note.

Coolio.

Curses:
  I'll change the limit to 3 rounds or greater.  This means you can't make a lingering induce fear until your tama capacity goes up by a bit or you extend it, but that is probably fine.

Given the amount of 3 round duration techniques, that works out quite nicely.

Offline Hanako Tachibana

• Honorary Mod
  • Witch of Funerals
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 23, 2012, 09:14:46 PM »
What about when you're not a Medium/Small creature? Needing a full Small corpse to stitch up a fly-sized witch makes little sense.

Already taken care of.  A corpse of one size category smaller than you is good for one use of the class feature.

Then you'll have to clarify what "mundane" fully entails, because golem parts seem mundane to me. Flesh and Dragonflesh Golems are even built from regular old corpses.

The current text is "Only mundane parts can be used as materials.  Grafts, the assorted pieces of Vecna, and similar objects can only be incorperated into a stitch witch through their own rules."  I believe this handles situations in which a stitch witch tries to use parts that have rules significance.  For odd parts that have no special rules significance, Spare Parts does not add any rules significance.  You cannot use Spare Parts to add additional limbs.  If you stick a Large arm onto you, you still have 5 ft. reach, as Spare Parts doesn't say anything about gaining the attributes of the parts you use.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 23, 2012, 09:16:32 PM »
Excellent.

(Where's a Mr. Burns emoticon when you need one?)

Offline DonQuixote

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 23, 2012, 11:24:17 PM »