Author Topic: WTF News stories  (Read 153868 times)

Offline radionausea

• View Profile
Re: WTF News stories
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2012, 07:36:58 PM »
Something inside me dies when I see the word fallacy applied to ideas held about roleplaying. And a small bit of vomit comes up when I see a character called a 'toon'.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2012, 02:00:55 AM »
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=25515

Figured this would be the place to post one of the biggest tech stories this year.

Offline veekie

• Spinner of Fortunes
  • Epic Member
  • Chaos Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2012, 02:15:21 AM »
Man, those patents are ridiculous.
pinch to zoom

The '301 patent is the so-called "bounce" or "rubber-band" patent, that covers a transient response -- essentially an animation that mimics naturally occurring phenomena, such as a spring.  Apple has been granted exclusive rights by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office to animate this class of phenomena, oft observed visually in nature.

rectangular smartphones with rounded edges
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 02:18:01 AM by veekie »
Everything is edible. Just that there are things only edible once per lifetime.
It's a god-eat-god world.

Procrastination is the thief of time; Year after year it steals, till all are fled,
And to the mercies of a moment leaves; The vast concerns of an eternal scene.

Offline dman11235

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Disclaimer: not at full capacity yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2012, 10:58:12 AM »
Yes.  Does anyone else find it odd that Apple managed to patent a natural phenomenon?  But only when their computers do it, so that must make it okay.  Also, how does a jury only take two days to deliberate a court case that took over a year to hold?

And yes, it is unfortunately possible to patent things that should not be able to be patented.  You can patent (or could have, and someone did) the process of using a mouse before the mouse was even invented.  It's the same process as buying up urls before a company that would use them would exist or want to buy them.

It would be AWESOME if this somehow ends up creating a monopoly for Apple.  Because they would be forced to split up.  And they would be forced to give up some of their precious patent.  Holy cow do you realize how awesome that would be?  It's like....KFC being forced to reveal their secret blend, or Coke giving up the recipe, or what happened to Microsoft in the 90s, that impactful.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 11:00:04 AM by dman11235 »
My Sig's Handy Haversack  Need help?  Want to see what I've done?  Want to see what others have done well?  Check it out.

Offline radionausea

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2012, 06:25:46 AM »
Will the stupid never stop?

Anyone know what this guys chances are in PA? He looks fuck stupid but not outright malicious unlike what I've read of Pat Toomey; maybe someone that stupid might be preferable...

Edit: just checked,Smith is behind Casey.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 06:58:54 AM by radionausea »
Something inside me dies when I see the word fallacy applied to ideas held about roleplaying. And a small bit of vomit comes up when I see a character called a 'toon'.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 28, 2012, 12:33:52 PM »
Actually you want the stupid to continue and be reinforced.  It's the only way guys like that get tossed out.

Offline veekie

• Spinner of Fortunes
  • Epic Member
  • Chaos Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2012, 03:54:10 PM »
Looks like they're selfdestructing spectacularly.

The scary part is they still get votes. How?!

Procrastination is the thief of time; Year after year it steals, till all are fled,

Offline InnaBinder

• Legendary Member
  • Onna table
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 28, 2012, 07:10:37 PM »

Clearly there are people who think that having a baby out of wedlock is ACTUALLY as bad as rape, which they also believe cannot ever create a baby. . . . /divide by zero error.
Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics.  Even if you win, you're still retarded.

shugenja handbook; talk about it here

Offline Sinfire Titan

• Hustler 3
  • Retired Admin
  • You have one round to give a rat's ass.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 28, 2012, 07:22:18 PM »
Clearly there are people who think that having a baby out of wedlock is ACTUALLY as bad as rape, which they also believe cannot ever create a baby. . . . /divide by zero error.

There are, but that isn't the point of what the Republicans are doing. They are setting up scapegoats to try and give their other candidates time to cover up their trails. Both parties do this almost every single election.
Concerned about how moderation works here? Please PM this account.

Offline InnaBinder

• Legendary Member
  • Onna table
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 28, 2012, 08:44:59 PM »

There are, but that isn't the point of what the Republicans are doing. They are setting up scapegoats to try and give their other candidates time to cover up their trails. Both parties do this almost every single election.
With all possible respect, what just happened?
Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics.  Even if you win, you're still retarded.

shugenja handbook; talk about it here

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 29, 2012, 01:18:09 AM »

Lack of Education and the internet.  Keep them stupid, keep them divided, and they'll buy anything.  Back when the story on Nixon broke you had three news channels, and the one that mattered had Cronkite.  Now you have thousands of options tailor made to pander to your specific beliefs so you never have to be confronted with any other viewpoints.   You're allowed to be lazy and uneducated, and the parties encourage you to do so.  A dumb divided populace never revolts.  If any other countries government had the numbers our congress did they'd be in the middle of bloody revolution by now, but we sit and twiddle our fucking thumbs because we can't even agree on a simple basis such as whats actually gone wrong.  If you can't agree whats wrong, you cant agree how to fix it.  Honestly the US needs to break into about 2 or 3 separate countries temporarily.  Specifically divided by political ideology.  When only one party is in power and they can't eternally blame the other side, they'll have to do things to stay in power or just become a dictatorship.  Which might finally get the populace to grow a pair and shrug off it's apathy.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 29, 2012, 09:55:29 AM »

Lack of Education and the internet.  Keep them stupid, keep them divided, and they'll buy anything.  Back when the story on Nixon broke you had three news channels, and the one that mattered had Cronkite.  Now you have thousands of options tailor made to pander to your specific beliefs so you never have to be confronted with any other viewpoints.   You're allowed to be lazy and uneducated, and the parties encourage you to do so.  A dumb divided populace never revolts.  If any other countries government had the numbers our congress did they'd be in the middle of bloody revolution by now, but we sit and twiddle our fucking thumbs because we can't even agree on a simple basis such as whats actually gone wrong.  If you can't agree whats wrong, you cant agree how to fix it.  Honestly the US needs to break into about 2 or 3 separate countries temporarily.  Specifically divided by political ideology.  When only one party is in power and they can't eternally blame the other side, they'll have to do things to stay in power or just become a dictatorship.  Which might finally get the populace to grow a pair and shrug off it's apathy.

Does that mean that Austin will separate from the rest of Texas since we have a different political ideology?   :p

Offline darqueseid

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 29, 2012, 11:13:29 AM »
If any other countries government had the numbers our congress did they'd be in the middle of bloody revolution by now,

Isn't that what voting is supposed to be?  isn't casting our vote supposed to be the means by which we re-make the government without the bloody part?

Honestly I think what the populace should do is vote everyone in congress out down to the last one and put independents in for a term.  I would venture to guess that they'd get a lot more shit done that would be better for the country.

Offline dman11235

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Disclaimer: not at full capacity yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 29, 2012, 12:21:23 PM »
Alternative: they all argue and oppose each other for no reason, until two points of view take and we start the two-party process all over again, but split on different issue.  Remember: we started with no parties, until people decided to vote with others for added power.  Either way though, not much would actually get done in the way of significant changes.

However, I would love to see what you said happen, because the optimist in me says what I said might not happen.  Better than doing nothing!  (although, I'd prefer just everyone losing their party, and being elected based on credentials).
My Sig's Handy Haversack  Need help?  Want to see what I've done?  Want to see what others have done well?  Check it out.

Offline veekie

• Spinner of Fortunes
  • Epic Member
  • Chaos Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 30, 2012, 07:09:38 AM »

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 31, 2012, 07:50:02 AM »
My creations

Please direct moderation-related PMs to Forum Staff.

Offline radionausea

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 31, 2012, 09:53:45 AM »

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 31, 2012, 02:24:05 PM »
I needed to subscribe to read that.  Here's the NY times version.
Weird. I didn't have to.

Otherwise, just take my snarky synopsis at face value without actually reading the article. :p
My creations

Please direct moderation-related PMs to Forum Staff.