Author Topic: Prototype min/max contest  (Read 5493 times)

Offline BG_Josh

• Retired Admin
    • View Profile
Prototype min/max contest
« on: December 11, 2011, 02:46:35 AM »
Here is a sample question for a proposed min/max contest.

-----

Action Adventure games are the cornerstone of the RPG world.  Everyone is familir with the games DnD 3rd and 4th editions.  When making characters you have the chance to make character selections that are better than the default.  Choices that are particularly good are "exploits". Either by making a particular choice or a series of choices. 

The contest: Find and explain a single exploit in initial character generation.  Explain how to do it and why it's a good choice.

-500 words or less
-no extraneous information

Games you can use:
Savage Worlds (any compatible with explorer edition or later), Warhammer Fantasy(3rd ed only), Battlestations, Danger Patrol

Judging(as currently foreseen)
-The goal of this contest is to higlight basic min/maxing skills
-The secondary goal is to highlight the interesting and optimum choices available in some games
-Judging will be done against a "breed standard" choices are compared against the basic choices of the game.

entries will be rated on 3 factors: Usefulness, Cleverness and Originality

-----

Normally there would be a posting date like two weeks from now.  For this one just post immediately.

Post comments on the contest or contest entries in this thread.

-If you post a critique, you have to give solutions.  I don't need complaints I need refinements, that's why this is a prototype.

-and yes, this is outside your comfort zone.

-a range of games makes this easier, not harder.  You need access to only one game.

-if you wanted to test the absolute skill of someone in min/maxing you ideally use a system they are unfamiliar with

-one the games listed is available in it's entirety online.  I can't say that will always be possible but when possible it will be done. 

-----

Examples:
If the contest were looking for exploits in character generation and one of the choices was…

Example 1: Burning Wheel
In Burning Wheel having a skill opens you to advance it with help.  Therefore if you are in a group where someone else has a skill do not waste skill points advancing that skill.  Just paln on helping them and you will get up to speed in no time.

Example 2: Burning Wheel
Under Proffesional soldier subsetting the "runner" has access to the traits "Fleet of Foot" and "sprinter" two excelent traits if you want your character to dominate positioning tests

Example 3: Mouseguard
Always have your parents live somewhere other than lockhaven.  Having a place to stay and resouces to use is one of the key powers of parents.  So you want them to be out where you can use them.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 10:16:07 PM by BG_Josh »

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton....
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
Re: Prototype min/max contest
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 11:40:01 AM »
happening to be only passingly familiar with two of the mentioned, and completely unfamiliar with the mechanicals of all the systems in question, why are we limiting the game system? an example of two would be nice as well, in any case.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 11:49:11 AM by nijineko »

Offline BG_Josh

• Retired Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 12:07:31 PM »
happening to be only passingly familiar with two of the mentioned, and completely unfamiliar with the mechanicals of all the systems in question, why are we limiting the game system? an example of two would be nice as well, in any case.

It needs to be apples and apples to some degree.  I am limiting it to games that are "good enough to play" of a specific type. Also these games have clear character generation rules. 

Also the entire point is to test min/maxing skill.  Using unfamiliar systems does that.  Ultimately this contest is a question for people of "are you a min/maxer or are you a DnD player who min/maxes?"

Examples are a good idea, I don't have time to do them right now though.  So put a pin in that

Offline Mister Lamp

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Meh. . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 01:29:07 PM »
Here is a sample question for a proposed min/max contest.

-----

Action Adventure games are the cornerstone of the RPG world.  Everyone is familir with the games DnD 3rd and 4th editions.  When making characters you have the chance to make character selections that are better than the default.  Choices that are particularly good are "exploits". Either by making a particular choice or a series of choices. 

The contest: Find and explain a single exploit in initial character generation.  Explain how to do it and why it's a good choice.

-500 words or less
-no extraneous information

Games you can use:
Savage Worlds (any), Warhammer Fantasy, Battlestations, Danger Patrol

-----

Normally there would be a posting date like two weeks from now.  For this one just post immediately.

Post comments on the contest or contest entries in this thread.

Edit: Lets nip this in the bud.

-If you post a critique, you have to give solutions.  I don't need complaints I need refinements, that's why this is a prototype.

-and yes, this is outside your comfort zone.

Given that most people here do mainly play DnD, what if you allowed DnD as an option, but people who go out and use the other systems get more points? That way everyone can participate, but if they really want to win, they have to go out of their way.

also, I know for a fact that Warhammer Fantasy has multiple editions, so you may want to be more specific.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 10:20:45 PM by Mister Lamp »
(click to show/hide)

Offline BG_Josh

• Retired Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 06:22:27 PM »
Given that most people here do mainly play DnD, what if you allowed DnD as an option, but people who go out and use the other systems get more points? That way everyone can participate, but if they really want to win, they have to go out of their way.
The point is that people primarily play DnD.  If they didn't then it might be an option.  Again it is a contest of skill, not memory.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 10:17:58 PM by BG_Josh »

Offline BG_Josh

• Retired Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 10:17:33 PM »
The prototype has been edited.  That should cover all current criticism.

Additional comments?

Offline Mister Lamp

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Meh. . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, 10:25:52 PM »
The prototype has been edited.  That should cover all current criticism.

Additional comments?

hmm... seems fine. I don't know how much interest you'll get but I can say it won't be my fault nor yours.

Although I have no idea how any of these systems work... just looked at the book for Warhammer 3rd edition and... :???

EDIT: I don't know how you plan to do this, but you could say that whoever wins the contest decides the next one... then some people could say "I want this contest to be DnD 3.5" and for that one, it would... if they win the previous one.

You would probably have to say that only every 3rd or 5th contest could be DnD. Then some people would get to do contests of something they know, and, when someone like me wins, they get to learn Ars Magica or Cthulhutech.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 10:31:33 PM by Mister Lamp »
(click to show/hide)

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton....
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2011, 10:36:57 PM »
So put a pin in that

boop!  ^^

point taken. and a good point it is. i'm going to fall into the category of a d&d player who min/maxes for the nonce, at least until you hit upon another system with which i am already familiar. i honestly don't have time to learn/study a new system and figure out the exploits. i'll happily watch for this particular contest / round.

nice examples, btw. thank you very much.

i see you have a start date, how about a deadline for submissions and then another date for judges to return votes and comments by? i think that would about finish it off. =D

Offline X-Codes

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • White, Fuzzy, Sniper Rifle.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 12:31:04 AM »
Someone should make a Fallout adaptation for that Danger Patrol game...

Offline Daniel

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2012, 04:32:26 PM »
Here is a fun exploit that I discovered a while ago. Unfortunately it's way too overpowered to use in an actual game but it's pretty funny.

Concept Name: Summoner Summoner
Game: Savage Worlds
Setting: Necessary Evil/Super Power's Companion

The Exploit: By taking the character feature Super Karma and the edge Power Points a character can have 20 power points at character creation. The power Animal Control lets you control a single large or smaller creature for 3 pp and allows you to add powers to the creature by paying the normal cost for the power. The summoning modifier allows you to bring them to your location with a snap of your fingers for 5 pp. The unique modifier halves the total cost of the creature in exchange for making it unique and hard to replace. For 20 power points you can control a summon-able unique animal with 32 power points. If the power your super animal has is Animal Control then you can have a series of creatures where each one is almost twice the power points as the last.

The Profit: The final result is an animal with an arbitrarily high number of power points that is under your indirect control. This animal could destroy your enemies with ease or use the invent power to give you every power in the book.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 04:39:40 PM by Daniel »