Author Topic: Pimp my nWoD vampire!  (Read 3255 times)

Offline Karlton

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
Pimp my nWoD vampire!
« on: April 24, 2012, 10:39:12 AM »
So! I have been invited to my first Vampire session ever next month, and thus I seek your help to make my first character golden.

The year is 1666, and we have been given 25 XP to play with. Giovanni and that other necromancy themed clan has been banned, and so have the Majesty discipline. Other than that, everything else from every official book is allowed. The group consists of three other melee oriented but unoptimized vamps, so I imagine that I want to make a social vamp that can still fight somewhat effectively.

Here is my swing at it:

Clan:
Ventrue (Rötgrafen bloodline)

Stats:
Mental block: +3 dots
Intelligence: 1 dots
Wits: 3 dots
Resolve: 2 dots

Physical block: +4 dots
Strength: 2 dots
Dexterity: 3 dots
Stamina: 2 dots

Social block: +5 dots
Presence: 5 dots (4 + 1 dot for the clans favored ability)
Manipulation: 1 dots
Composure: 3 dots

Merits:
Fighting Style (Fencing): 4 dots
Resources: 2 dots
Quick draw: 1 dot
Fast Reflexes: 2 dots (6 XP)
Striking Looks: 2 dots (6 XP)
Language (English): 2 dots (6 XP)

Flaws:
Selective Feeding: Will only feed on handsome/beautiful mortals.
Fears crucifixes, garlic and similar mythical vampire deterrents as if those things were actually harmful to vampires.

Disciplines:
Protean: 3 dots
Dominate: 1 dot (5 XP)

Skills:
Mental block: +4 dots
Politics: 4 dots

Physical block: +11 dots
Brawl: 4 dots (Specialization: Protean claws)
Weaponry: 5 dots (Specialiation: Curved Sword)
Athletics: 1 dot

Social: +7 dots
Persuasion: 3 dots
Socialize: 4 dots (Specialization: Seduction)

Unused XP: 2. I guess that I could get a 1-dot merit, or a 2-dot merit if I downgrade my characters english language to 1-dot (it is his first foreign language). But what do I need?

I realize that getting a few skills as high as possible is beneficial at character creation, as getting the higher dots are a lot more expensive to get when you start paying XP for them, but I do have a feeling that my merits are a bit all over the place. Help?

Offline wotmaniac

• Legendary Member
  • Procrastinator in Chief
    • View Profile
Re: Pimp my nWoD vampire!
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 01:26:38 PM »
Why are you putting so many resources in to both weapons and protean?  One or the other -- don't waste resources on things that do similar things.

Play off of your strengths -- you get Majesty as a clan discipline .... swap protean for that.  The only difference between lethal and agro damage is how long it takes to heal -- either way, dead is dead (and I think that swords do lethal damage to vamps).

otherwise, it looks pretty good.

Offline Arturick

• Ascended Fatbeard
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 05:59:46 PM »
Why are you putting so many resources in to both weapons and protean?  One or the other -- don't waste resources on things that do similar things.

Play off of your strengths -- you get Majesty as a clan discipline .... swap protean for that.  The only difference between lethal and agro damage is how long it takes to heal -- either way, dead is dead (and I think that swords do lethal damage to vamps).

otherwise, it looks pretty good.

His ST banned Majesty.

I support keeping weapons and Protean.  If he just takes Protean, what happens if he is surrounded by mortals and someone comes at him with a sword?  He either has to take the shot and fake his own death, or pop his claws and break his cover.  Conversely, what happens if he is caught off guard and doesn't have a sword handy?

I'm not so sure about that phobia flaw, however.  In 1666, I would imagine that Christian iconography and rituals would be pretty darn common.  If your Ventrue wants to be a mover and shaker in the mortal power structure of 1666 Europe, he's going to be talking to bishops and cardinals, not to mention kings and princes who will be slathered with Christian iconography.

Offline Shadowhunter

• E6/E8 fanboy.
    • View Profile
    • The additional vestige collection for all you Binder players out there.
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 06:13:26 PM »
Valid points, but I do feel like if he gets in a position where he has to use Protean, there won't be any kine witnesses around afterwards for it to spread.

But maybe I'm just used to homicidal Gangrels :rolleyes

Offline wotmaniac

• Legendary Member
  • Procrastinator in Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 06:59:46 PM »
His ST banned Majesty.
:facepalm  I don't even know what I was thinking -- I think I reversed what he said in my head.

As to the Protean -vs- maintaining the masquerade .... if they're coming at me with swords, they won't be left in a position to tell other people.
I'd save my resources from not taking weapons and put them in to Dominate.
But that's just me.

Offline Halinn

• Legendary Member
  • My personal text is impersonal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 07:36:26 PM »
If someone comes at him with a sword, take the sword away from him. Perhaps through dominate.