Author Topic: Proposed Handbook: THE SPELL BOOK  (Read 21027 times)

Offline Captnq

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Haters gonna hate. Dragons gonna drag.
    • View Profile
    • Ask the Captain
Handbook Hiatus Notification
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2012, 11:14:08 PM »
I've forwarded two other threads here for the reason that I only wish to post this once.

Unfortunately, Real Life has intruded into my personal projects and is demanding more and more of my time. I primarily get most of my writing done at night, but the number of overnight shifts has dried up. On top of that, I have to get back to making adoption videos for the cat shelter I volunteer at. Add in the fact that my lawn is dying and I am falling further and further behind on home maintience, I have to prioritize.

For now, The Spellbook is on Hiatus for an undetermined amount of time.

Now, I'm sure a number of you are saying, "great, another handbook started and abandoned." For you, I've only been working on this for a few months. Personally, I've been working on this since they discontinued 3.5. I've put months into this project only to shelve it then start it up again once everything else calmed down. So I will be back. If you want a specific date, I'm sure I'll be back by October. As time permits, I'll work a little here or there. For now, I need to focus on more important things.

That said, I wish to go out with a bang.

I've finished fixing what a number of you have pointed out. From the update to the Initiate Feats, to missing a few sorcerer spells, I truly believe that I have the complete list of all the (official WotC Published) spells, and all the spell lists. I've updated the spell rules sections to include player input, suggestions, and observations. I've put some finishing touches on the Metamagic feats section, so in my opinion, I have the most up to date collection of information on D20 3.5 spells available.

What The Future Holds:

1) I have scavenged all the websites and put together every other handbook's comments on spells. It's a big list. I have not finished updating all the editorials on each individual spell, alas, but I've put a big dent in it. I hope to have every other handbook summarized and added to each spell as an editorial entry. Eventually I hope to color code the spells so you can easily see which ones are hot, and which ones are not.

2) I hope to have a complete, individual analysis of the important spells. I won't do EVERY spell, but I will get the ones that a player or DM is most likely to use.

3) I hope to have a complete list of every possible scroll, potion, and wand. I want a random table made up, or at the very least, I want to make up a file for CrystalBall.

4) I want to add two new sections to the Feat section. Feats that help with spell casting, but aren't actually metamagic feats. Feats that are used with Spell-Like abilities.

5) I wish to add a monster section. This will contain every monster that is mentioned in every spell. I know some spells are "Turn Into Any Monster". But some spells summon very specific monsters. I want to have an appendix where you can look up those monsters so you don't have to go hunting for them.

6) I Hope to add in other spells, like spells from WotC On Line, Dragon Magazine, Dungeon Magazine, Ebberon, and Dragon Lance, but keep those in a separate section.

7) Finally, I hope to hypertext the whole thing. If you see a spell mentioned, you can click on it and it goes to that spell. If the spell can be modified by a metamagic feat, You should be able to jump to it. If the spell mentions a condition, you should have the condition in front of you. If it can turn you into a given monster, that should be a click away.

Basically, I want to make The Spell Compendium the way the spell compendium SHOULD have been made.

I like said in the past, I dream big. I knew this was going to take years, so I'm gonna have to take a break now and again. But, I won't leave empty handed. Here is the first rough draft. It's available in PDF. In and of itself, it should be useful. I would like to point out that everything in this file is available on line elsewhere or is of my own creation. I'm not expecting anything out of this, not even credit. It's a tool, nothing more. This is just a summary of other people's work, but in a much more user friendly format.

I do ask, if you have any comments, suggestions, and/or wish to add some editorials of your own, just indicate where you think it should be stuck in and post it here. Eventually I'll get around to updating this monster again, and when I do, I'll look here first for what to update and what to improve. Although if its a spell analysis, take it to this thread, instead.

So, without further ado, Here it is. See you in a few months.
If you have questions about 3.5 D&D, you might want to look at the:
Encyclopedia Vinculum Draconis

Currently: Podcasting

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton....
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
Re: Proposed Handbook: THE SPELL BOOK
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2012, 01:15:33 AM »
may your hiatus go well. =D

if you have not already done so, i would like to provide for you to include all the official material from the websites who caretake the 3.x versions of the various campaign settings. once you return, that is. i downloaded the pdf so i will look through it and see.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 01:18:04 AM by nijineko »

Offline kitep

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Lookout World!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2012, 10:29:06 PM »
Hope your hiatus is going well.

But when you return....

Your wonderful book lists the spell "Transference" as being in the PHB2.  Actually, it's a web enhancement to PHB2 and is not in the book itself.  You can find it at http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060526a

Offline kitep

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Lookout World!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2012, 02:37:18 PM »
Found another one.

Under "Pact Domain" you list the 9 spells associated with the domain.

But under the spells themselves, you miss saying that the pact domain also grants them.  Eg

SPEAK WITH DEAD
- PLAYER’S HANDBOOK (3.0)
- PLAYER’S HANDBOOK 1 (3.5)
Necromancy [Language-Dependent]
Level: Ancestor Domain 2, Cleric 3, Corrupt Avenger 3, Death Delver 3, Dread Necromancer 3, Hunter of
the Dead 3, Maho-Tsukai (3.0) 3, Repose Domain 3, Retribution Domain 3, Shaman 3, Slayer of
Domiel 3, Wu Jen 6

Should also have "Pact Domain 3" in the list.  You missed 8 out of 9 of the pact domain spells.

Still loving the book!

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2012, 08:04:58 PM »
I have a list of the vast majority of spells you can emulate with shadow evocation/conjuration if that is of any interest to you in my Shadowcraft Mage Spellbook. Otherwise all I can do is wish you good luck with this monster of a project.

Offline Captnq

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
    • Ask the Captain
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2012, 01:53:55 PM »
To those who gave me editorial comments, Thank you.

I am currently working on consolidating four other Spell Handbooks into the THE SPELLBOOK. As it stands, I am on track for a release of TSB 3.01 on 10/31. Yes, I'm hoping for a Halloween release. After that I'm slowing it down. As far as I'm concerned, after I get the last of these comments consolidated then I'll have gotten the majority of the work done. I'll still have a few things to work on, but I'm going to slowly work on then as the mood strikes me. I still want to have every possible single scroll, potion, and wand. So, I will instead revive my "What can you do with..." Thread and post something about once a week or so.

Instead, I will turning my attention to working on my next project:

Encyclopedia Tertius Vinculum Draconis

Really Bad Latin for, everything you wanted to know about D&D 3e.

So, that said, I'm trying to figure out what to focus on next:
Classes, Monsters, Feats, or Items.

Eventually I'll Consolidate them all, but in the meantime, which one do you think needs more focus? If I finish making wands, scrolls, and potions for ever spell, then that would naturally lead to completing the complete Item PDF. But frankly, I find classes hold more of an interest to me. Feats strike me as much easier and won't require as much work. Thoughts?

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2012, 05:09:58 PM »
i have a friend who has a start on a master feat list. that might jump start your efforts in that direction.

the consolidated lists would get you started on the classes and prestige.

i would vote items next, but classes would be very useful as well. will you be including all sources considered official by wotc?

Offline Captnq

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
    • Ask the Captain
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2012, 04:56:00 PM »
I would vote items next, but classes would be very useful as well. will you be including all sources considered official by wotc?

That would be the goal, yes. Understand, this is a way's off, but I should take to that fellow abut his feat list.

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2012, 12:25:39 AM »
i have a copy of as far as he got. not finished, mind you, but a lot in there.

Offline Captnq

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
    • Ask the Captain
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2012, 01:08:20 AM »
Psst...

Version 3.01 now available.
I updated the link HERE.

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2012, 01:11:24 AM »
let me know if/when you want the feat list.

thanks for the update!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 01:14:39 AM by nijineko »

Offline Captnq

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
    • Ask the Captain
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2012, 01:26:18 AM »
let me know if/when you want the feat list.

One of my players has talked the others into playing a new group of PCs where everyone is a mystic ranger. So I'm working on writing up a Mystic Ranger rulebook/handbook, kinda. It'll be nice to scale down the campaign from 30th to 5th level for a while so I'm encouraging this. I think when I'm done with that, I might move onto feats.

thanks for the update!

Yer welcome :)

Offline Maat Mons

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2012, 11:27:34 PM »
What are you using to generate the PDF?  LaTeX has the ability to auto-generate a table of contents and bookmarks.  It also allows for internal and external links. 

Offline Captnq

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
    • Ask the Captain
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2012, 09:45:47 PM »
What are you using to generate the PDF?  LaTeX has the ability to auto-generate a table of contents and bookmarks.  It also allows for internal and external links.

I dunno. My wife does the tech support. I am confused by your website. Do I download load something or do I make a text file or something?

Hey, so ya know, Tis the season for gaming so I'm catching up on FPS games. Not to mension I wanna get around the The Walking dead. If you want another format, or to make a different format, just let me know and I'll link to it. My next project is an in depth look at shields.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 09:48:38 PM by Captnq »

Offline kitep

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Lookout World!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2013, 12:39:09 AM »
Under "2nd-level duskblade spells" you have "Striking Fist", but everywhere else it's refered to as "Bigby's Striking Fist"

Offline kitep

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Lookout World!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2013, 02:33:15 PM »
Your full description of Celestial Aspect (BOED-93) stops short.  You have the first paragraph, but then don't describe the 4 aspects.

Offline Skevvix

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2013, 02:32:06 AM »
A little necromany here, but...

I'm trying to print this sucker so I can have a copy wherever I may go.  I only have Adobe Reader so I can't adjust the scaling at all, and I was wondering if there was another version that either has the text fit the pages or if there is one with two pages per landscape orientation.

Offline Captnq

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
    • Ask the Captain
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2013, 06:40:15 PM »
A little necromany here, but...

I'm trying to print this sucker so I can have a copy wherever I may go.  I only have Adobe Reader so I can't adjust the scaling at all, and I was wondering if there was another version that either has the text fit the pages or if there is one with two pages per landscape orientation.

Actually, I made some gramatical errors, so If you'll give me a few days, I'll upload the new copy. And I'll include a word file version in the zip file.

Offline Captnq

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
    • Ask the Captain
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2013, 12:47:09 AM »
Okay, Version 4.20131020 is now availible with PDF/DOCX/TXT formats for your reformating pleasure.

Feel free to check it out HERE

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2013, 03:13:06 PM »

... I made some gramatical errors ...

English majors of the world, collectively curse the ground you've walked on and
then go back to defending their turf against each other, circular firing squad.
 ;) :D
Your codpiece is a mimic.