Author Topic: Weirdest Race you've ever considered?  (Read 1750 times)

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
  • Thread Necromancy a specialty
    • View Profile
Weirdest Race you've ever considered?
« on: September 19, 2013, 12:01:15 AM »
As the title says.

The weirdest race I've ever considered including in a campaign setting had only 5-10 personalities. Tops. For the entire race.

Or, rather, they were a crafted, barebones race, who had a set of reprogrammed personalities for people too lazy to code their own. When the civilization that made them fell, the secrets of how to code new personalities went bye-bye, and they were stuck with the factory defaults. Unlike a natural race, their personalities don't shift over time; a personality is static, until a particular stimulus flips a switch transferring them over to a different, more appropriate personality.

What their default personality was was purely "genetic"; there was no real genetic deviance in the race (a few physical templates, but those are (usually) inherited wholesale), so you could track genetic/personality "flow" over a large number of generations.

There were a few organizations that recaptured some of the "compiler", if you would, and used it to try to "crack" their personalities; they were moderately successful, but none of the new personalities would stick. However, they did discover several processes that allowed them to split up personalities to "breed" new ones. The new personalities were still entirely dependent on their parents, and would breed as if they were one of their parents' personalities, but it allowed them to make their own diplomats.

I thought they were cool; physically, they looked like albino humans (easier to dye their skin, hair, and eyes whatever color you wanted) with the crudest of physical features and a total lack of gender dimorphism. Their features would vary based on which personality they had at the moment, with some "codes" allowing further editing.

They would've been NPCs for the most part, a relic of a bygone era. Of course, if an old book of codes falls into the player's hands, well... Those relics might have gotten a rehaul.
"There is happiness for those who accept their fate, there is glory for those that defy it."

"Now that everyone's so happy, this is probably a good time to tell you I ate your parents."

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
Re: Weirdest Race you've ever considered?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 12:54:10 AM »
Lawful Good Half Celestial Awakened Monstrous SPider...

Offline Chrononaut

• Obtained MAX Gigify
    • View Profile
Re: Weirdest Race you've ever considered?
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 06:54:56 PM »
Multiheaded anthropomorphic squid, in my darkest minmaxing hours...

Any kind of inevitable, otherwise. Inevitables are weird. The best example I can think of is some AIs in cognitive AI research fics, they will act according to their directives no matter how insane or trivial they might seem to every other race. Idiot hobo makes uncontested claim to a pile of rocks as a nation and makes 'public sobriety' a capital offence? Guess what an inevitable does if he finds people there!

Might be fun for a Marut but yeah they're basically insane troll logic/blue and orange morality with a heaping side of lawful stupid. Fun!