Author Topic: Burning Wheel Gold: Wives? WTF?  (Read 3733 times)

Offline tsuyoshikentsu

• Lurker
  • Acerbic.
    • View Profile
Burning Wheel Gold: Wives? WTF?
« on: November 06, 2011, 09:15:15 PM »
Okay, so here's something interesting about BWG.

If you're in a three-lifepath game, go Human Born Peasant/(Village Lead)/Village Wife: Village Sergeant/Village Wife: Corrupt Sergeant. Do the math on the age and stats.

If you're in a four-LP game, go Elf Born Etharch/Spouse/Matriarch/Althing. Do the math on the age and stats.

Why is it that women that stay at home and get married are kind of superior compared to like everyone else?

Offline savagehominid

• Lurker
  • often sarcastic and indulges boisterousness
    • View Profile
    • A Savage Hominid's Soap Box
Re: Burning Wheel Gold: Wives? WTF?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 09:23:33 PM »
Dude! I am totally playing a wife next game.
IRL - Justin
Twitter - @SavageHominid
Facebook/Google+ - Justin Smith

Offline BG_Josh

• Retired Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 10:13:57 PM »
You assume the women are "staying home." 

First off in the middle ages most people stayed home, men and women.  They worked the family farm.

And second, they are pretty good.  but not really as good as noble anything or dozens of other choices.

Offline tsuyoshikentsu

• Lurker
  • Acerbic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 10:51:13 PM »
I don't know about that, Josh.  Granting that Born Noble is a better Born path, especially because it's actually legal (Peasant apparently doesn't lead into Villager, whoops), the character above ends up with:

Stats: 9/18

Resources: 35

Skills: 5 pts. General, 5 pts. Child-rearing, Cooking, Command, Intimidation, Field Dressing, Appropriate Weapons, Shield Training, Armor Training, Bribe-wise, Wealthy-wise; 5 pts. Child-rearing, Cooking, Intimidation, Appropriate Weapons, Shield Training, Armor Training, Bribe-wise, Wealthy-wise, Criminal-wise

Traits: Mark of Privilege plus 3 unassigned

No matter what route you take, you can't start with higher stats (or even stats as high) at 3 LPs as a human, and going Elf will only get you either +1 M, P or +2 M -- plus the skill list is a pretty broad one. 35 RPs isn't a ton, but it's enough to cover the basics and not that much lower than Page->Squire, a comparable arrangement.

Offline Dan2

• Wizicist
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 05:26:08 PM »
To compare: a 3 lp sorcerer:
City Born, Neophyte Sorc, Sorcerer
4 general, 12 (a much smaller list)
Traits: Extremely Respectful of one's betters + 2 others (access to Gifted)
Resources: 54

Considering that Sorcerers are (even now) a pretty powerful build, I have to tip my hat to the stat array and the spread of skills for the wife.
Dan2