Author Topic: Advice on ability score in D&D 5e  (Read 1706 times)

Offline crazypunk86

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
Advice on ability score in D&D 5e
« on: April 28, 2022, 07:42:23 AM »
I wanted some advice on the best method to generate the ability score for my campaign - I'm totally confused, as a new player, playing with other newbies, I am a little confused about the most effective method to choose the ability score, some of the online D&D guides such as:

1. https://thearcademan.net/ability-scores-5e/
2. https://mykindofmeeple.com/standard-array-vs-point-buy-vs-rolling-stats-dnd-which-is-best/

mention that standard array is highly recommended, but one of my friends says that the dice roll method is used by more experienced players. I am therefore asking the more experienced players in this forum, what is the best method to assign ability scores to our characters in the D&D campaign?

Offline Skyrock

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
Re: Advice on ability score in D&D 5e
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2022, 08:41:28 AM »
Random abiity scores are the more traditional, old-school way. They can also serve as a prompt to specc a character the player would never purposefully pick, like a high Strength wizard, and see how it can be utilized. It's also inherently unbalanced (but grognards may view this absence of character balance as a vital part of the classic D&D experience.)

Fixed array leads to an overall more balanced game, and unlike the old point-buy system SAD characters gain much less out of it.

I'd recommend new players to use array first.

Offline Nanashi

• it means "he who has no name" in a foreign tongue.
    • View Profile
Re: Advice on ability score in D&D 5e
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2022, 12:09:48 PM »
Dice roll is adding RNG for the sake of RNG and runs a strong risk of making a character who is totally useless, but almost never makes a character more powerful than point buy. Any 5th edition character that starts with less than a 15 (the max) in their primary ability and have at least a +1 in that stats from race is totally useless since all numbers expect a starting value of 16/17 and there's no way to catch up. At the same time, half the ability scores in 5th edition do practically nothing at all if a character doesn't have a class ability or skill that uses and two could be free 30s and have minimal game effect for most characters:

Strength: Determines to hit/damage with melee weapon and carrying capacity. Totally skipable for anyone that can use any other ability score to fight.
Dexterity: AC, iniative, a common saving throw, to-hit and damage with ranged weapons and finesse melee weapons. Everyone wants this high
Constituion: Hit points, common saving throw. Everyone wants this high
Intelligence: Does absolutely nothing beyond a rare saving throw if a character doesn't have class abilities or tool profiencies that use it. Every non-Wizard/Arcane Trickster/Eldritch Knight dumps this.
Wisdom: A common saving throw and a common skill.
Charisma: Again does nothing but a rare saving throw and rare skills. Every non-Paladin/Sorcerer/Warlock dumps this.