Author Topic: Shrine Maiden  (Read 14116 times)

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
Shrine Maiden
« on: April 18, 2013, 06:51:54 PM »
Shrine Maiden

Okay, so I take that back. Youkai must still be crushed by humans.
It is my destiny.
I will continue to crush Youkai

-Reimu Hakurei, human Shrine Maiden

Shrine Maidens are holy individuals that travel randomly and beat up monster for money investigate and solve supernatural problems, receiving donations along the way.

MAKING A SHRINE MAIDEN
Shrine Maidens combine an unique blend of divine martial arts with divine magic.
Abilities: Wisdom is the main ability for a Shrine Maiden. Con is useful to offset her low HD and Fort saves, as well as Dexterity as you're wearing light armor and could use up the Reflex saves.
Races: Most Shrine Maidens are humans or halflings. Aligned outsiders sometimes take this path as well. Zombie Shrine Maidens are far from unheard off either.
(click to show/hide)
Starting Gold: 1d4x10(average gp).
Starting Age: As cleric.

Class Skills
The Shrine Maiden's class skills are Apraise, Balance, Concentration, Diplomacy, Gather Information, Heal, Intimidate, Knowledge (Nature, Religion, The Planes), Listen, Sense Motive, Spot, Swim, 
Skill Points at 1st Level: (4 + int mod)x4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + int mod

Hit Dice: d6

Level Bab Fort Ref Will FeatureManeuvers KnownManeuvers ReadiedStances Known
1+0+0+0+2Overly Optimistic, High Intuition431
2+1+0+0+3 Divine Bloodline431
3+2+ 1+1+3Holy Bomb531
4+3+1+1+4Incredible Luck 1/hour531
5+4+1+1+4Channel God 1/day632
6+4+2+2+5 Detached Sleeves632
7+5 + 2+2+5Overly Optimistic 742
8+6 + 2+2+6 Incredible Luck 2/hour742
9+6 + 3+3+6Channel God 2/day842
10+7 +3+3+7Overly Optimistic842
11+8 +3+3+7Revelatory Dream943
12+9 +4+4+8Incredible Luck 3/hour943
13+9 + 4+4+8Channel God 3/day1043
14+10 + 4+4+9Overly Optimistic1053
15+11 +5+5+9Gods Graces1154
16+12+5+5+10Incredible Luck 4/hour1154
17+12+5+5+10 Channel God 4/day1255
18+13+6+6+11Spring Lane1255
19+14+6+6+11Colourful Path1355
20+15 +6+6+12Mystical Love Consultation, Incredible Luck 5/hour1355

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: A Shrine Maiden is proficient with Simple weapons and light armor.

Maneuvers: A Shrine Maiden learns maneuver from the Dream Battle school and one other martial school of her choice. If the second school demands any special prerequisite (like Ancient Temple needing a feat) the Shrine Maiden must fulfill it as well. Her Iniator level is equal to her Shrine maiden level plus half other levels, and she can only learn maneuvers of a level no bigger than half (IL+1).

Shrine Maidens know that there's no point in overextending a losing battle. They can recover all their maneuvers by performing a Whitdraw action. If they're not in melee, or can't see their opponents, they can recover all their maneuvers by performing a Double Move. Either way, they must move at least 10 feet.

At 4th level, and every even-numbered level afterwards, the Shrine Maiden can swap one of her older maneuvers with a new one she qualifies for from one of her two schools (the new one doesn't need to be of the same level of the older one).

Overly Optimistic: The Shrine Maiden can use Wis instead of Cha for her choice of Diplomacy, Intimidate, Gather Information checks or direct opposed Cha checks (such as with Charm). At 7th, 10th and 14th level pick one of the other options.

High Intuition: Who needs training when you have natural talent? A number of times per day equal to her class level, the Shrine Maiden can replace a skill check, save, grapple, trip, bullrush, disarm or attack roll for 1d20+IL+Wis mod. She can decide to use this after rolling the dice, but before knowing the result.

Divine Bloodline: Altough not fully fledged clerics, Shrine Maidens can still call upon the power of the divine to aid them. At second level the Shrine Maiden becomes able to cast spells as a cleric of 2/3 her Shrine Maiden level, except she doesn't get any domains but her CL is equal to her full Shrine Maiden level. If she takes a casting prestige class, she advances the cleric casting at regular speed (so for example a Shrine Maiden 10/fullcasting prc 10 would cast as a 16th level cleric).

Holy Bomb: At 3rd level once per round as a free action when she initiates a maneuver, the Shrine Maiden can sacrifice a prepared divine spell to gain a bonus equal to the sacrificed spell's level  on all skill checks, attack rolls and damage rolls with that maneuver.

Incredible Luck: At 4rd level you can re-roll any one dice per hour. At 8th, 12h, 16h  20th  you gain an additional use of this ability per hour. You must choose to use this ability before knowing the resulting effect from that dice roll.

Detached Sleeves: At 6th level with 700 GP worth of raw materials the Shrine Maiden can craft a pair of special sleeves that take the hand slots and grant her a +1 enanchment bonus to unarmed attack rolls and thrown attack rolls as long as worn in a matched pair.
They can also be used to store up to 10 thrown ammo in each.
A pair of detached sleeves can be magically enanched as a single masterwork weapon, in which case their enanchment applies to your unarmed strikes and thrown attacks.
In addition its storage capacity for thrown weapons increases to 20*Enanchment bonus.

Channel God: Altough they rarely openly pledge their alliance to any single god, adept Shrine Maidens can temporaly become conduits to a specific deity.  At 5th level 1/day as a move action the Shrine Maiden can start a Channel God. She gains one domain of her choice (doesn't even need to match her usual beliefs, desesperate times call for desesperate measures), gaining the respective power and the domain spells become instantly prepared as regular spells, up to the level of divine spells she could usually prepare. This lasts 1 minute, after which any unused domain spells are lost and the Shrine Maiden is left fatigued.

At 9th, 13th and 17th level the Shrine Maiden can use this an aditional time per day.

Revelatory Dream: At 11th level the Shrine Maiden can use any one maneuver up to the level of maneuvers she could usually initiate from the schools gained at her first Shrine Maiden level. If she does so, all of her remaining readied maneuvers become expended without benefit, and she cannot iniate any single specific maneuver more than once per day with Revelatory Dream.

Gods Graces:At 15th level by spending two uses of Channel God as a move action, the Shrine Maiden can gain two Domains simultaneously with all of the benefits of Channel God, including geting both domains spells instantly prepared, but is left exhausted at the end of the 1 minute duration.

Spring Lane: A Shrine Maiden always stands ready to perform miracles At 18th level when the Shrine Maiden  uses Channel God or Gods Graces she instantly prepares the respective domain spells up to 7th level, even if she normally could only prepare spells of a lower level.

Colourful Path: A shrine Maiden's way on the world isn't easy, but that doesn't mean it can't be fun and bright! At 19th level when the Shrine Maiden enters a stance, she can cast a spell on herself as a free action. If it is non-instantaneous, the Shrine Maiden can choose for its duration to last until she exits the respective stance.

Mystical Love Consultation: Shrine Maidens must master the analysis of souls-and hearts. At 20th level the Shrine Maiden is automatically aware of the alignment of any creature she can see, as well as their Attitudes towards the Shrine Maiden and adjacent creatures (whetever adjacent to the shrine maiden or the first target).

In addition when the Shrine Maiden uses Channel God or Gods Graces she instantly prepares the respective domain spells up to 8th level, even if she normally could only prepare spells of a lower level. In addition once per day she can cast the respective 9th level spell of a domain she has.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 04:31:17 AM by oslecamo »

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
Re: Shrine Maiden
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 06:56:30 PM »
... do we get a Sanae ACF by swapping the casting and maneuver progression around? XD

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 07:42:36 PM »
Somewhere on the future, Sanae will get her own school (green girl has more than enough spellcards on her own), that will be replaceable with Dream Battle in Shrine Maiden. That will be her alternate ACF.

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 11:06:09 PM »
Abilities: Wisdom is the main ability for a Shrine Maiden. Con is useful to offset her low HD and Fort saves, as well as Dexterity for

Dex for what? :D

Also, shouldn't detached sleeves take up the arm slot? Like bracers do.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2013, 09:47:56 AM »
Fixed typo.

As for the sleeves, thing is Reimu is never seen wearing gloves of any kind, however she usually has something over her detached sleeves, which I figure out would count as bracers.

Also increased maneuvers readied at 7th and 14th levels.

Offline gadeschaos

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 11:50:44 AM »
Incredible Luck: At 4rd level you can re-roll any one dice per hour. At 8th, 12h, 16h  20th  you gain an additional use of this ability per hour. You must choose to use this ability before knowing the dice result.

Can't think how this works, what's the purpose of rerolling a dice you don't know the result? It's like just rolling a dice two times and always choosing the second result, the first became useless...

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 03:17:08 PM »
My bad, I meant before you know the resulting effect from the dice roll. Will clarify.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2013, 05:45:33 PM »
Can I put a splitting enhancement on my sleeves? :lmao

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2013, 05:54:50 PM »
Splitting specifically only works with arrows and bolts, and since sleeves aren't bows or crossbows, I'm afraid no. :p

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2013, 03:01:53 PM »
Looking at the ACF: Holy Bomb gets replaced with... a bonus feat? @_@

Anyway, slightly more baffling: no armour proficiencies, d6 HD, and two skillpoints? With intelligence as one of the stats you can least afford to spend on. High Intuition can't make up for all of that. Bit weird, since you get to replace charisma on various skills with wisdom, but you don't really get the skillpoints to use that. :huh

Gods Graces isn't on the table for some reason.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 03:04:55 PM by Raineh Daze »

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2013, 03:40:28 PM »
She was suposed to have light armor proficiency, just an oversight on my part.

Hmm, I guess 4+skill points wouldn't be too bad.

3rd level ACF now grants you Wis mod to AC while wearing light or no armor. Holy bomb wasn't that hot to begin with mind you.

Fixed table.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2013, 08:19:36 PM »
Does High Intuitition replace the result of the roll with IL+Wis Mod, or the modifier to the roll? e.g., would an attack roll with 10 BAB and no bonuses become 14+Wis Mod +1d20?

Revelatory Dream becomes rather difficult to use if you've got the Warrior Maiden stuff going on, since you have more Readied Maneuvers. Possible, but it's an observation. XD
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 08:21:27 PM by Raineh Daze »

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2013, 05:17:12 PM »
The modifier to the roll.

You can always choose to walk around with less prepared maneuvers than your max.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2013, 11:02:08 AM »
I can't work out what the conditions for the withdraw action actually are and its minimum requirement, which makes refreshing maneuvers a bit... tricky.

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2013, 11:23:13 AM »
(click to show/hide)

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2013, 12:05:05 PM »
That does not help at all, because it's the conditions for withdrawing that are ill defined and whether there's a minimum withdraw distance...

Can we please assume, in the future, that I've looked at the rules first and am still confused? :p
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 12:13:52 PM by Raineh Daze »

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2013, 01:24:52 PM »
Well, its as written.

Fullround action, move UP TO double speed without drawing AoO for moving from the square where you began.
Up to meaning it can be any distance up to double speed, including 0 ft.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2013, 01:27:49 PM »
Big question is: can you withdraw if not in melee?

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2013, 04:37:15 PM »
You cannot. Technically.

Then again, technically you also can.
Melee combat is relative to what you are in melee with, which doesn't have to be an opponent. You can attack in melee stuff that counts as objects, which means that when you're in combat you're technically always in melee with something.
You never know if there isn't some invisible foe next to you, so withdrawing without provoking AoO from your initial square can be useful.
If it isn't clearly ruled that a Withdrawal can be done even if no one is next to you, it should be possible all the same for those two reasons.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 04:53:42 PM by Anomander »

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2013, 07:33:16 AM »
Added double move option for when you're not in melee, including minimum 10 feet moved.