Author Topic: Greenflame Blade + Spell sniper = 10' Melee attack?  (Read 4582 times)

Offline 8wGremlin

• Been around for a long while
    • View Profile
Greenflame Blade + Spell sniper = 10' Melee attack?
« on: October 13, 2015, 05:08:57 PM »

Q: Does GFB require you to make an attack roll?
if so then, Spell sniper feat is interesting.
  • It doubles the spell's range = 10' melee attack?
  • You can pick up the cantrip for free, and you can use INT or CHA depending upon who gets GFB (wis, bard, warlock, Sorc)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 05:11:13 PM by 8wGremlin »

Offline Gnomes2169

• Dragon derp
    • View Profile
Re: Greenflame Blade + Spell sniper = 10' Melee attack?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2015, 08:39:48 AM »
It requires an attack roll... but is limited to the weapon's range. Spell sniper only really modifies spells that have a range, and GFB is definitely "Your weapon's melee reach, and nothing more." So you can get a target 10 feet away... but you need a reach weapon, not the feat.

However, it might make the secondary target of the ability easier to reach, given that is a range of 5 feet instead of range: melee weapon attack. Hitting the initial creature, and then a target up to 10 feet away, instead of just waiting to be surrounded completely/ restricted to the horde being all around you? Yes please.
Erry day I'm derpening

Offline 8wGremlin

• Been around for a long while
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2015, 02:54:20 PM »
Thank you Gnomes2169.

I'm not sure I agree, and here is why

The spells range clearly states 5 feet, Spell sniper doubles that to 10 feet.
  • You must make a melee attack against a creature within the spell's range, (10 feet), otherwise the spell fails
  • if you hit
    • Greenfire leaps 5 feet, and does damage to another target

The 5 foot leap is written in the spell's description, and not part of the range attribute of the spell, so I don't think that changes.

The questions I think need to be answered are:

• Does it have an attack roll. i.e. does the weapon attack count?
  • Does the spell's range affect what weapon you can hit with, or does the spell allow you the extended range?
  • Do you need to have a reach weapon to use the extended range?

Offline Wilb

• Elder Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2015, 03:15:17 PM »
• The spell requires an attack roll to work but is separate from it. A DM may rule otherwise but its kinda clear that the melee weapon attack is separate from the cantrip itself, but it could be affected by the spell sniper feat, even though it probably couldn't be chosen as the given cantrip.

• The spell allows you to hit at range with a weapon and increases the jump range, but it doesn't give you any means to extend your weapon range, so • you need a reach weapon to benefit from the initial increased range, but not the extended jump.

This is just my opinion, feel free to ignore it.
Lovely Zoma...

Offline TenaciousJ

• AVENGE WAGON
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2015, 03:24:44 PM »
My interpretation is Spell Sniper allows Greenflame Blade to function with the range of a reach weapon.  Spell Sniper specifies that it increases the spell's range.  The range of a melee weapon is a quality of the weapon, and Spell Sniper makes no reference to increasing the range of a weapon.  Without Spell Sniper though, Greenflame Blade can only be used on a target within 5 feet, even if the weapon used for the attack roll has reach.

I am having trouble coming up with a scenario where this is an optimal idea, but it's neat for a character that can use a whip or polearm without being a primary melee damage dealer.
Make Eberron Great Again! #MEGA