Author Topic: Custom Dice  (Read 3906 times)

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Custom Dice
« on: September 01, 2016, 01:13:49 PM »
I'm looking into getting some custom dice made, specifically d8s with moon phases on them.  Unfortunately custom dice are cheaper than they used to be but  not cheap enough.  The best I can get quoted out is a minimum order of $50 at $9 a die for standard size dice.

Is there anyone here who would be interested in getting in on this?  (I'm assuming no, most people don't seem to want the weird dice that I do.)

On the other hand, does anyone know of a cheaper place I can go for custom dice?  (I'm looking for more than trying to make my own with stickers/sharpie/whatever, I want words and a picture of the moon phase similar to this.)  I've seen the moon phase die on shapeways, it is not acceptable.

Offline Risada

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
Re: Custom Dice
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2016, 01:24:11 PM »
I would be, but I believe distance (I'm from Brazil) can make this kind of collaboration complicated, I guess...

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 03:04:04 PM »
I would be, but I believe distance (I'm from Brazil) can make this kind of collaboration complicated, I guess...

Wow that's expensive shipping.  Yeah, that would be difficult unless you're in the US sometime or have someone in the country who mails you things anyway.

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2016, 04:51:50 PM »
Blanks are cheap , then put stickers on the faces.
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2016, 06:14:53 PM »
Blanks are cheap , then put stickers on the faces.

I don't think you read the whole first post.  :p

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2016, 05:50:49 PM »
lemme peek about and see what i can find

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
  • "Insight is the sudden cessation of stupidity."
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2016, 09:31:35 PM »
I could be interested in going in on this. I'm also interested in getting some d6's with elements (like, periodic table symbols) on them. Any suggestions for that?

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
  • Thread Necromancy a specialty
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2016, 11:51:52 PM »
I could be interested in going in on this. I'm also interested in getting some d6's with elements (like, periodic table symbols) on them. Any suggestions for that?

A d8 with the elemental symbols for Gold/Silver/Copper/Iron/Tin/Mercury/Lead would be sweet. Not sure what to put on the 8th side, though.
"There is happiness for those who accept their fate, there is glory for those that defy it."

"Now that everyone's so happy, this is probably a good time to tell you I ate your parents."

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2016, 12:50:36 AM »

A d8 with the elemental symbols for Gold/Silver/Copper/Iron/Tin/Mercury/Lead would be sweet. Not sure what to put on the 8th side, though.
Platinum?

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
  • Thread Necromancy a specialty
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2016, 02:58:44 PM »

Platinum?
Platinum isn't a planetary metal, though.
"There is happiness for those who accept their fate, there is glory for those that defy it."

"Now that everyone's so happy, this is probably a good time to tell you I ate your parents."

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2016, 10:03:16 PM »
Sounds like it would be good for me to share the results of my research.

Prawn Designs - The cheapest laser engraver that I've found for small orders, however he's a one man shop so I don't know how long orders will take.

Custom Dice - They'll customize any type of dice as far as I can tell with multiple sizes, however I got quoted a minimum order of $50.

Chessex - They will only customize d6s, minimum order is 10, price is per side customized.

Q-Workshop - Will customize any kind of dice but their minimum order is 50 pieces, also they're located in the UK so shipping can be expensive.

Crystal Caste - If you want a lot of d6s from an established company this is a good way to go, minimum order is 25.

Dice and Games Ltd - If you're in the UK they'll laser cut dice for you, minimum order is 25.

Those are the only places that I could find that were anywhere near reasonable.

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2016, 12:04:51 AM »
Lol. The text for the Chessex and Crystal Caste websites are effectively identical.

I'm not sure how to read the pricing for them. Is it:
A. 25 dice x 6 sides = 150 sides = $150 dollars + shipping
B. 25 dice, which have 6 sides = $6 + shipping

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2016, 12:05:41 PM »
Lol. The text for the Chessex and Crystal Caste websites are effectively identical.

I'm not sure how to read the pricing for them. Is it:
A. 25 dice x 6 sides = 150 sides = $150 dollars + shipping
B. 25 dice, which have 6 sides = $6 + shipping

Chessex is pricing A if you want all six sides customized for twenty five dice.

My assumption for Crystal Caste is C (I haven't gotten a quote so I can't confirm this).  C. 25 dice (no matter the sides) = $25 + shipping