Author Topic: [3.5]Iron Kingdoms- Jack of All Sides  (Read 9442 times)

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
[3.5]Iron Kingdoms- Jack of All Sides
« on: June 16, 2012, 07:59:13 PM »
I am looking for 3-4 players for a go at some Iron Kingdoms stuff, you will be either part of or enlisted mercenaries to the 7th Cygnarian Infantry Division deployed in the trenches on the boarder of the currently Khador controlled Llael.

Game will be starting at level 2 and proceeding to 4. It is a prewritten adventure so while I am not that fond of level 2 as a starting point it is just easier to run from there. I might run it a bit higher (6 is my favourite start level) but I really don't need more than one Warcaster or mechanic type.

So anyone with a need to play with some steam power and guns please apply.

It should be noted that at this point in the background the Nyss elves have been nearly wiped out or corrupted by the dragon Everblight and this will have an effect on the temperament and background of any Nyss characters.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 06:50:03 PM by littha »

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: [3.5]Iron Kingdoms- Jack of All Sides
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 08:00:17 PM »
Potentially interested, let me give the books a look over.

Offline Flay Crimsonwind

• Legendary Member
  • The devil so nice, they damned him thrice.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 08:59:44 PM »
Hmmm, lower level play is fun. Also potentialy interested, just need to give IK a once over.
I'm here and ready to keep confusing the hell out of everyone I meet.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 12:50:59 AM »
For anybody who wants a quick overview of what the Iron Kingdoms classes are like, here's a website you can look through.  Some of the classes have been modified but as far as I'm aware if it doesn't say it's been fiddled with you're good to go.

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2012, 01:13:51 AM »
Big points:
Necromancy (actual necromancy, some necromancy school spells are ignored) drains your life force for using it and is universally reviled.
Conjuration is fairly unknown and both (Calling) and (Summoning) have a chance of bringing an infernal to you instead of what you wanted. Teleportation effects are pretty much nonexistant.
Magical Healing has a huge penalty to it and Raise Dead is a 9th level spell that could cause the caster to lose a limb or permanently lose the use of their hands... Not to mention what might happen to the guy you are raising.

Magical items that cost more than 200 xp have a chance at permanently eating some of your HP with them. There are Mecanikal items to compensate for this (which are cool anyway) but there is no such thing as a generic +1 sword in the setting. Upshot is that you can have your mecanikal weapon act like a wand of sorts which aids mundanes to no end...

It should be noted that that wiki is filled with houserules in odd places so I would be careful with it.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 01:26:30 AM by littha »

Offline mrorangesoda

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2012, 10:26:40 AM »
I'm potentially interested. I'd need to look over the books too as I'm not familiar with the setting. Soun

Also, I've never been in a play by post game before (you may not want a newbie in your group). How often do we have to post?

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2012, 11:53:35 AM »
Yeah, that wiki has gotten weirder than I remember but it can give people a good feel for what the classes are like before they go find a copy of the book.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2012, 10:53:28 PM »
The Iron Kingdoms classes just feel kind of meh to me (except for the Skorne specific ones).  I'm looking forward to the new edition though.

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2012, 02:22:59 AM »
They are all a little meh but I am not opposed to using 3.5 classes provided they fit the background.

Offline Flay Crimsonwind

• Legendary Member
  • The devil so nice, they damned him thrice.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2012, 02:46:42 AM »
As soon as I can get to my books, and check out Liber Mechanika, I'll solidify exactly what class lends itself to someone hoping to use steam armor and a chain sword. But that's my basic idea.
I'm here and ready to keep confusing the hell out of everyone I meet.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2012, 10:10:36 AM »
True, the books do have rules for using 3.5 classes.

Are there rules for playing Skorne everywhere or is the entry in Monsternomicon 1 it?

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2012, 02:11:46 PM »
There is a whole section at the end of monsternomicon 2, that said they have LA and a -6 penalty to all social type checks because the inhabitants of the Iron Kingdoms hate them with a passion. Still... not as bad as Satyxis who get shot on sight... 

As soon as I can get to my books, and check out Liber Mechanika, I'll solidify exactly what class lends itself to someone hoping to use steam armor and a chain sword. But that's my basic idea.

As far as steam armor goes there is a PRC in Liber Mechanica for it. The stuff is a little odd to use though (Replaces your STR and DEX scores and has its own hp that go before your hp do) Plus the need to have a whole load of coal/water to operate.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 02:14:04 PM by littha »

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2012, 04:35:42 PM »
Okay, I completely missed that section.  I'm at work so I can't check the book, can I play one at level 2?

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2012, 04:49:15 PM »
You can, the people writing this seem to have not known that you could get racial HD with no LA and gave some of the races +1 LA and a free racial HD... Just ignore the LA and take the HD.

Skorne
+1d8 racial HD
Stats: +2 Str
Bonus Feat
Extra Skillpoints
Racial Prejudice (-6 to all Social based skill checks with non-skorne)
Automatic Languages: Skorne

Notably you don't get Cygnaran as a automatic language so you will need the Int or skillpoints to get it. Also be aware that unless you wear a full face mask/hood NPC reactions will be icy at best.

You will need a good reason as to why you had left the empire as they are ultra nationalistic and culturally very different from the Iron Kingdoms.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 04:51:24 PM by littha »

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2012, 05:29:55 PM »
Are you okay with me playing a Skorne, especially when I'm going to take one of the two Skorne base classes in that book?

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2012, 05:35:38 PM »
I am not going to stop you but as I said, be aware of the implicit racial tensions.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2012, 05:57:25 PM »
Racial tensions are worth it to play something interesting.   :P

Edit: Also I assume that the racial HD isn't overwritten by class levels since it's a "bonus"?

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2012, 06:04:43 PM »
Yea level 2 skorne character will have 1 class level.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2012, 06:06:27 PM »
Are both of the Skorne classes allowed in your game?  I can see the torturer being voted, and I have no interest in the Prestige Class (it just doesn't sound like it would be useful at all).

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2012, 06:36:21 PM »
You can take it but as it is a prescripted adventure I doubt torture is going to be all that helpful and considering you are working for cygnar probably not a great idea.