Author Topic: In the end of it, how important are 9th level spells?  (Read 49266 times)

Offline Aliek

• You were hit by a DMG for uncountable dmg. Reroll.
    • View Profile
In the end of it, how important are 9th level spells?
« on: April 20, 2012, 01:20:26 AM »
Mostly everywhere you go, it is said a caster shouldn't lose spellcasting levels unless the tradeoff is obscenely powerful, or something of the like. It is also said that you shouldn't lose more than what you need for 9th level spells, so no more than three for wizards, druids and clerics, and no more than two for sorcerers.

Of course, I'm not advocating just throwing your spellcaster levels away, as they are, indeed, important. But it's just that, mostly for gishes, 9th level spells are just overkill. You can just as easily get by with polymorph instead of shapechange. Not that shapechange isn't way more broken, but if you can abuse polymorph already, it should be enough, and if you can't, chances are you won't be able to abuse shapechange either.

With that as an example, just how important are those 9th level spells? How low can one go without gimping himself too much, if a gish? Your party GOD should probably go all the way to the 9s, but then, what if for some reason they don't? Someone might want to grab something else for flavor reasons, and end up in the 8s, or even the 7s. I'm sure they can probably get by, tough.

So there's your topic. Tough higher-leveled spells are strong no doubt, just how much of it is "overkill"?

Offline Sinfire Titan

• Hustler 3
  • Retired Admin
  • You have one round to give a rat's ass.
    • View Profile
Re: In the end of it, how important are 9th level spells?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 01:31:24 AM »
It's pretty hard to beat Time Stop, so the baseline is somewhere around the Swiftblade's level of power.

Shapechange, however, is the pinnacle of 9th level spells because it provides other spells from other spell lists. It isn't about the Polymorph effect (that's little more than a footnote), it's about being able to grab Cleric buff spells via Planetar. The actual buffs from being Polymorphed are less than the collective number of buffs the Planetar can give you.

And then you turn into a Solar and do it again.
Concerned about how moderation works here? Please PM this account.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 01:50:54 AM »
Actually 9th level spells by default suck.

Freedom: FoM is vastly superior.
Imprisonment: ANY Save of die is better, maybe a hit or two to the Save DC but Heighten fixes that. Consider this as there is a lot...
Mage’s Disjunction: Destroys your loot, falls short of Antimagic Field (saveless) and Antimagic Ray (single save).
Prismatic Sphere: Why not use Metamagic effects on Prismatic Wall?
Gate: Diplomacy with XP costs and pisses off the creature used!
Refuge: Teleport is better and pretty sure the MiC has some super cheap items for this.
Summon Monster IX: Total crap.
Teleportation Circle: Meant for the DM to use, players simply hold hands and Teleport.
Foresight: Cunning is superior and you get it five to six levels sooner.
Dominate Monster: List of better spells; dominate person (they may have class levels), animate dead, planar binding, diplomacy.
Hold Monster, Mass: Any area save-or-die is better, and points if it's not mind-affecting.
Power Word Kill: Magic Missile is better.
Crushing Hand: lol, enough said.
Meteor Swarm: It's proof Evocation sucks.
Shades: Shadow casters don't need anything other than Minor Image.
Weird: More shitty save-or-dies.
Astral Projection: See also friending a local high level Cleric and 50k donations or just plain Contingency(before I die do x).
Energy Drain: Why is this even a spell? Worst way to bestow negative levels ever.
Soul Bind: Even more shitty save-or-dies.
Wail of the Banshee: Do they ever end?
Etherealness: It does the exact same thing as Greater Planeshift, but limited to one plane.
Shapechange: The best Polymorph 9th level spell ever, awesome!
Time Stop: Great, until you consider double casting via Celerity, quad casting with Quicken, w/e 8 is with Shapechange, etc.
Wish: Raw reality breaking power here. Limited by DM's call through.

Mostly it's the whole 9th level Spell Slot that's awesome or Shapechange carrying the entire weight. There are a few gems in None-Core, like Ice Assassin and Iceberg, but that's just a hold over of Ice/Cold being over empowered to make up for being the least effective damage type.

Offline Thurbane

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • 3.5 fanboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 03:32:28 AM »
[redacted]
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 03:38:45 AM by Thurbane »

Offline Aliek

• You were hit by a DMG for uncountable dmg. Reroll.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 03:40:18 AM »
The shapechange-grants-spellcasting is a bit debatable, tough. But let's not delve in that too much, it is a bit too soon for this topic to go stray.

Even accounting for that, arguably polymorphing can also grant it. It doesn't grant Su abilities, tough, but IIRC spellcasting was assumed to be Ex.
Tough as a DM I'd probably allow that, as long as you remember you have to prepare your spells. So get that duration up, cast at the right time(before dawn, most likely) and get your longer buffs for 'free'.

But then, that ain't entirely free, you still use a 9th level spell slot. Still that seems to be, overall, your best bet. Using 9th level spell slots to emulate lower-level ones, most likely via shapechange or miracle, as wish is very, very costly. But then, other than those two and time stop, 9s just don't sound as hot as they did, after SorO's analysis of spells on a case-by-case basis.

Off-core there are a couple gems here and there. If there is an encounter you just have to win as a druid, if you start by casting tsunami, you just won it. Or something like that.
But then, if you cast even glitterdust affecting all your opponents, your chances of winning just went through the roof.
9s do it easier and with more style, but yeah, lower-levels can do just fine. Would 8s be the stopping point tough, or even they aren't that hot?

Offline Sinfire Titan

• Hustler 3
  • Retired Admin
  • You have one round to give a rat's ass.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 03:54:45 AM »
The shapechange-grants-spellcasting is a bit debatable, tough. But let's not delve in that too much, it is a bit too soon for this topic to go stray.

Even accounting for that, arguably polymorphing can also grant it. It doesn't grant Su abilities, tough, but IIRC spellcasting was assumed to be Ex.
Tough as a DM I'd probably allow that, as long as you remember you have to prepare your spells. So get that duration up, cast at the right time(before dawn, most likely) and get your longer buffs for 'free'.

But then, that ain't entirely free, you still use a 9th level spell slot. Still that seems to be, overall, your best bet. Using 9th level spell slots to emulate lower-level ones, most likely via shapechange or miracle, as wish is very, very costly. But then, other than those two and time stop, 9s just don't sound as hot as they did, after SorO's analysis of spells on a case-by-case basis.

Off-core there are a couple gems here and there. If there is an encounter you just have to win as a druid, if you start by casting tsunami, you just won it. Or something like that.
But then, if you cast even glitterdust affecting all your opponents, your chances of winning just went through the roof.
9s do it easier and with more style, but yeah, lower-levels can do just fine. Would 8s be the stopping point tough, or even they aren't that hot?

The advantage to using Shapechange over Polymorph is that changing forms is a free action that does not cost a spell slot. If Shapechange grants spellcasting, it allows you to shift into Planetar for one set of spells and then shift into Solar for another set. Other creatures that provide high-level spellcasting also provide a far bigger return from Shapechange than Polymorph.
Concerned about how moderation works here? Please PM this account.

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 06:52:34 AM »
There's also a world of difference between 15-HD-and-below forms and 25-HD-and-below forms.  Note that Shapechange is limited by your CL, not your level.
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 03:57:09 PM »

NOOOO !!!

HERESY !!

;) ... but yes, sometimes 9th level spells are nothing more than Plot lines.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 03:59:44 PM by awaken_D_M_golem »
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline RedWarlock

• Crimson-colored caster of calamity
    • View Profile
    • Red Blade Studios
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 04:19:30 PM »
So if shapechange is off the table, they're mostly not that bad? What a relief! That spell wasn't going to survive my fixes anyway..
WarCraft post-d20: A new take on the World of WarCraft for tabletop. I need your eyes and comments!

Offline Ithamar

• I'm not new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2012, 04:42:22 PM »
There really only need to be two 9th level spells:  Miracle & Wish.  Those two can essentially duplicate any other spell, and can be used to warp reality as needed.  Most everything else is just a footnote.

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton....
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2012, 08:10:45 PM »
heh. so, should epic have really been 10th level spells?

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2012, 09:36:55 PM »
[Wait, what does? SorO's sig say? Ignoring my own advice I need to say this!]
Yeah I'd had enough bait this week not to care.

So if shapechange is off the table, they're mostly not that bad? What a relief! That spell wasn't going to survive my fixes anyway..
Well I did hint towards some other ones but yeah pretty much. Spells of every level have their worthless and broken ones but honestly. But the most powerful spells in the game simply are not 9th level. FoM, Protection from Evil, Mind Blank, Planar Binding, etc are  low level and range from outright immunity to entire attack forms to having friends in high places.

Even the lower level spells are better for save-or-die, Fleshshiver is a saveless one round Stun that also deals like 15d6 damage, Irresistible Dance is a multiround saveless monster stopper, and Holy Word is a mass screw over. If you start talking metamagics, damage spells do the job better than high level ones (locate city bomb is lv5 with metamagic costs) and real save-or-die stuff Earth Spell can turn even the lowest level spell into a monster murdering spell with a higher save DC than 9th level spells to begin with.

And sometimes the 9th level spell use is really just misleading. Take the murder your opponent by using Mind Rap trick. Mind Rape isn't doing anything other than convincing a random mook he loves someone, any head game can do that. The real power of the trick is Lover's Pain which is what deals the damage to your opponent using your medium. What level is that spell? 3rd.

Of course, don't get me wrong. 9th level spells are powerful, just like 8th level spells are powerful, just like 7th level spells are powerful. But in a relative measurement of which spells offer the greatest number of game breaking spells, 9th level barely ranks above Cantrips and most of that is from Shapechange being that damn awesome.

Offline Captnq

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Haters gonna hate. Dragons gonna drag.
    • View Profile
    • Ask the Captain
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2012, 10:07:13 PM »
Stuff I have allowed as a DM with Wish/Miracle:

Bonus   Cost   Max
Ability bonus (inherent)   Bonus x 27,500 gp   5
Base attack bonus (inherent)   Bonus x 27,500 gp   5
Initiative (inherent)   Bonus x 27,500 gp   5
Movement (inherent)   Bonus x 5,500 gp   25
Natural armor bonus (inherent)   Bonus x 27,500 gp   5
Save bonus (inherent)   Bonus x 27,500 gp   5
Skill bonus [multiples of 4] (inherent)    Bonus × 27,500 gp    20
Damage Reduction, All (inherent)   Bonus x 27,500 gp   5

Questions:

Can you wish for an inherent bonus to Energy Resistance(By Type)? If so, how much?

Can you wish for an Inherent bonus to spell resistance? If so, How much?

Can you wish for an inherent bonus to your Spells known per day? If so, how much?

Can you wish for an inherent bonus to the number of spells you can cast each day? If so, how much?

Can you wish for an inherent bonus to the number of spells you can memorize each day, if so, how much?

Can you wish a magic item that occupies a body slot to meld with your body, thus being unable to ever be lost? If so, can you use any other equipment in that body slot in the future? If not, can you increase the enchantments on the melded magic item at a later date?

Can you wish to have a magic item you are creating finish sooner? Example: I am crafting something that costs 50k gold. That is 50 days of crafting. Can I wish it was finished right now? I have all the materials and expertise. I just want it to finish faster.

Can I wish that my weapon has an Inherent Bonus to hit/damage? Would this allow me to exceed the +10 limit on normal magical weapons? Can I wish for an inherent bonus to Armor?

Can I wish for a permament Sacred/Profane bonus to my attributes instead of an inherent bonus?

Oh, Almost forgot. Can I wish for experiance points? How about towards a given class? If so, how many?

There. Impress Me.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 10:09:10 PM by Captnq »
If you have questions about 3.5 D&D, you might want to look at the:
Encyclopedia Vinculum Draconis

Currently: Podcasting

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2012, 10:18:22 PM »
Stuff I have allowed as a DM with Wish/Miracle: <snip>
Questions: <snip>
All up to the DM on every single one of those.

The only "RAW" abuse Wish offers is Wishing for a Ring of Three Wishes (wish can produce any magic item), and then you use it to Wish for more until you have thousands. But honestly that only amounts to WBL breaking and drains twice the XP cost of a single Ring, RAW you can craft more gold using gold or sell Salt Cows XP free and sixteen levels sooner. Everything is up to the DM, like more so than asking what material is allowed or what PrCs can you take or is this build ok, as the DM flat out must give permission for something to happen rather than the default rule being something does.

Offline Emperor Tippy

• Lurker
  • Creator of the Tippyverse, killer of gods
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2012, 04:37:02 AM »
The sheer wrongness of that sentence is what made me register for these forums, congratulations.

Freedom: FoM is vastly superior.
Imprisonment: ANY Save of die is better, maybe a hit or two to the Save DC but Heighten fixes that. Consider this as there is a lot...
Agreed.
Mage’s Disjunction: Destroys your loot, falls short of Antimagic Field (saveless) and Antimagic Ray (single save).
It's the single best debuff in the game and with Sculpt Spell or Mastery of Shaping you can rip off the entire buff set of whatever you are facing without hitting any of your party. The loss of items is irrelevant, you can always use free Wish's to bring yourself back up to WBL if necessary.
Prismatic Sphere: Why not use Metamagic effects on Prismatic Wall?
Because you need both Sculpt Spell and Mastery of Shaping to fake a Prismatic Sphere and unless you are using tricks to get the meta without upping the level it takes a 9th level slot anyways, which also means a save that's 1 point lower.
Gate: Diplomacy with XP costs and pisses off the creature used!
That would be paying a thousand XP for a +5 Tome. And you can order a called creature to let it's self be killed. Gate is one of the most powerful spells in the game, even if you are better off using it with methods that avoid the XP cost.
Refuge: Teleport is better and pretty sure the MiC has some super cheap items for this.
Summon Monster IX: Total crap.
Mostly agreed. Refuge is situationally useful as it's a permanent duration spell and you can prepare multiple copies during down time.
Teleportation Circle: Meant for the DM to use, players simply hold hands and Teleport.
One of the best transport spells in the game. With this you can move an entire army across the plane with a single casting.
Foresight: Cunning is superior and you get it five to six levels sooner.
That requires explicit DM permission to either create your own legacy weapon or find Mau-Jehe. Foresight can be picked up from an Air Weird with Shapechange or just cast without any real cost except a spell slot.
Dominate Monster: List of better spells; dominate person (they may have class levels), animate dead, planar binding, diplomacy.
Hold Monster, Mass: Any area save-or-die is better, and points if it's not mind-affecting.
Power Word Kill: Magic Missile is better.
Crushing Hand: lol, enough said.
Meteor Swarm: It's proof Evocation sucks.
Agreed.
Shades: Shadow casters don't need anything other than Minor Image.
Not everyone plays Shadowcraft Mage's. And it's pretty much an entire school from one spell slot.
Weird: More shitty save-or-dies.
Astral Projection: See also friending a local high level Cleric and 50k donations or just plain Contingency(before I die do x).
Astral Projection let's you and your entire party all get +5 Inherent bonuses to every stat at no cost. It also saves you from having to be ressurected.
Energy Drain: Why is this even a spell? Worst way to bestow negative levels ever
Agreed.
Soul Bind: Even more shitty save-or-dies.
It's not a save or di, it's a save or never be resurrected again.
Wail of the Banshee: Do they ever end?
Etherealness: It does the exact same thing as Greater Planeshift, but limited to one plane.
Yep.
Shapechange: The best Polymorph 9th level spell ever, awesome!
One of the best spells in the game, let's you get every single other spell in the game (even leaving aside whether or not you pick up monsters casting abilities).
Time Stop: Great, until you consider double casting via Celerity, quad casting with Quicken, w/e 8 is with Shapechange, etc.
Celerity eats an immediate action and opens you up to being killed without a get out of jail free card, Quicken costs you a lot to use effective, Chronotyne is what gives you an entire second set of actions each round. Time Stop still beats them for spells cast per time invested.
Wish: Raw reality breaking power here. Limited by DM's call through.
No, it's not limited by the DM unless you try to go past the listed effects.

Mostly it's the whole 9th level Spell Slot that's awesome or Shapechange carrying the entire weight. There are a few gems in None-Core, like Ice Assassin and Iceberg, but that's just a hold over of Ice/Cold being over empowered to make up for being the least effective damage type.
You really, really, don't know what you are talking about.

Binding Chains of Fate: One of the more complete save or loose spells in the game.
Chain Contingency: Better Contingency.
Effulgent Epuration: The next 17+ spells that target you flat out fail unless you are fighting a deity, can be shared with your party.
Invoke Magic: Can cast on dead magic planes or inside AMF's.
Khelben's Dweomerdoom: You rip the highest level spell a creature knows from it with no save or no SR.
Mindrape: You learn everything that the target knows, viewing their every memory, and then get to rebuild them entirely from the ground up into whatever you want. And it's Instantaneous.
Planar Pocket: Let's you cast anywhere, regardless of a planes magic traits and lasts hours/level. Say that your home plane is a demiplane with enhanced magic and minor positive dominate, carry those effects with you wherever you go.
Srinshee's Spell Shift: Take over your enemies magic and redirect it to your own purposes.
Unname: Can destroy any artifact regardless of it's protections or abilities without any save.
Genesis: Create time manipulation planes.

Ninth level spells are far and away the most powerful non epic things in the entire game, and one of them is the single most powerful thing in the game after Manipulate Form and Illithid Savant (that would be Ice Assassin). Sure, it might be better to get the spells using methods besides your spell slots but that doesn't change the fact that the spells themselves are game breakingly, hideously, powerful and are more than capable of irrevocably altering an entire setting with even semi-competent use.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2012, 01:42:05 PM »
You really, really, don't know what you are talking about.
Hi Welcome!

(click to show/hide)

The only one that doesn't suck or is simply an alternative method to lower level spells is Chain Contingency, and it's exactly like Time Stop is why. Contingency, Craft Contingency, and all three sets of Simbul's Spell X give you several free action spells and even stuff like Cunning (even Foresight) + Celerity which do the same but consume an action. The one factor CC has in it's favor is that it stacks with those effects rather than being outdone by them.

And you know what? Let's go into action breaking for a moment. For an 8th level spell slot you can Extend a spell called Planar Bubble which will last 20mins per cl, or around six and a half hours at CL20. If used on a pet native to the Mechanics (sp) plane then you and your entire party benefit from having your own personal Planar Shepard, that is you get ten rounds of game time to every one round of game time everyone else farther than ten feet away do. Let's measure these. Time Stop is personal only and gives 1d4+1 rounds of acting, or an average of 3 rounds. Account for your part's gained actions the 8th level spell gives 16,000 rounds (@CL20) per casting, or 40 rounds during any given normal-time-combat-round. So yeah, Time Stop/ChainContingency is nice because it stacks with better effects. But if you want an insane over the top game breaker, you're looking at the wrong spell level.

Offline snakeman830

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • BG's resident furry min/maxer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2012, 02:00:47 PM »
My personal view?  The best part of having 9th level spells pre-epic is that at level 21 you can take Epic Spellcasting.
"When life gives you lemons, fire them back at high velocity."

Offline Bastian

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Is playing a Sorcerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2012, 02:01:21 PM »
On Genesis, DMG gp148 says your wrong on the Time aspect making it a more bragable than burying a castle or carving out a cave, but the same Divinations used to find your secret underground area can find your plane too. It's style points, nothing more.
It says nothing of the sort, all it does is list two kinds of time traits. The rest are listed in other books.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2012, 03:25:14 PM »
On Genesis, DMG gp148 says your wrong on the Time aspect making it a more bragable than burying a castle or carving out a cave, but the same Divinations used to find your secret underground area can find your plane too. It's style points, nothing more.
It says nothing of the sort, all it does is list two kinds of time traits. The rest are listed in other books.
Before you correct me, you should try reading the page beyond bold text. Since you forgot your reading glasses
Normal Time: this trait describes the way time passes on the Material plane. One hour on a plane with normal time equals one hour on the Material Planes. Unless noted in the description, every plane in the D&D Cosmology has the normal time trait.
Does that help?

Genesis not only has zero text overriding this, but "determines the environment" is head-shoved-up-your-rear grossly misinterpreted to mean you can pick and choose Physical Planar traits (gravity, time, shape & size, and morphic) because you can create hills but.
A: The Spell it's self controls Size and you're only choice is to recast it.
B. Shape is set by the spell at X feet radius, ie spherical.
C. The other three categories are untouched.
So you are not nor have ever been altering the Physical Traits of the Plane, only the environment as exactly how it states.

This opinion of infinite time is based off the an ASS-U-ME-ption of lack of text between the versions of a 3.5 Power containing more text for clearer interpretation than it's 3.0 Spell alternative is proof and the really retarded idea that the changing the shape of the mass within the plane is an ambitious "physical" and then linking to a game term. It spits in the face of default rules, the behavior of the mechanic in question, example shown by updates, and even after all of that is still based on no rules proving it so hinges on an opinion.

Offline Captnq

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Haters gonna hate. Dragons gonna drag.
    • View Profile
    • Ask the Captain
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2012, 12:12:41 AM »
Otyugh Swarm: Creates 3d4 otyughs or 1d3+1 Huge otyughs.

7 days at my beck and call, or seven months of guarding something.

Ooo. let's do the math.

Sudden Empower/Sudden Maximize Otyugh Swarm.

18 Otyugh's a day... By day 7, I have 126 Otyugh, that will serve me until death, for another 24 hours.

I send then out of the Rat Hills to waterdeep, armed with signs that they are instructed to wave about that say, "OTYUGHS ARE PEOPLE POO!" and "STREET SWEEPERS GUILD UNFAIR TO OTYUGH!" and "MAKE POO, NOT SOAP"
and I make sure they sing, 'We Will Overcome.' as they try to march straight to the main Castle and hold a sit in until their demands are met.

Oh yeah, and forget ever attacking me. 6 Huge Otyugh a day, 7 months=210 days or 1260 huge Otyugh guarding the Rat Hills.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 12:24:37 AM by Captnq »
If you have questions about 3.5 D&D, you might want to look at the:
Encyclopedia Vinculum Draconis

Currently: Podcasting