Author Topic: Effects of Banning Contingency?  (Read 2588 times)

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
  • Thread Necromancy a specialty
    • View Profile
Effects of Banning Contingency?
« on: March 19, 2013, 04:09:49 AM »
If you straight up banned Contingency and limited CoP and other divinations, how much would that harm a spellcaster's ability to be prepped for every situation?
"There is happiness for those who accept their fate, there is glory for those that defy it."

"Now that everyone's so happy, this is probably a good time to tell you I ate your parents."

Offline Kasz

• The God-Emperor protects, the Omnissiah provides.
    • View Profile
Re: Effects of Banning Contingency?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 09:35:45 AM »
Obligatory obvious answer. The caster would be less prepared for emergency situations and have less foresight than he would normally have.

Casters will still be ahead with other immediate action spells / shenanigans but it'll bridge the gap. A Shadowcraft Gnome however will still adept to every situation but it'll be reactive not proactive. (premeditated?)

The characters might be more confused overall... my group uses divination to bridge the gap between clues. Without them they'll be more like... Well Clue A and Clue B both tell us things... but they're not really... connected.

As to contingency replacements.
Permeable Form
Hesitate
Energy Absorption
Halt
Wings of Cover - Included for making Sorc's pretty bad ass.

To be honest... banning contingent teleports makes conjurer's Abrupt Jaunt the only way I know of to gain an immediate action teleport...making an already awesome ACF a little bit better.

In short, it will cause your players to use more resources to maintain awesomeness, or lose some awesomeness. Which is never a bad thing for Wizards.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 09:37:17 AM by Kasz »

Offline Gribel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 10:12:35 AM »
Versatile spells such as Summon Monster, Planar Binding and Polymorph become more appealing, since they can deal with multiple scenarios.
Oh, and stinking cloud has to be one of my favorate battlefield spells. Combined with sleet stor, you can shut a group down and keep them shut down, trapped inside a fart. When does that ever get old?

Offline Cyclone Joker

• Flamboyant Flamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 01:01:48 PM »
Craft Contingent Spell becomes even better.

More seriously, it'd make wizards a bit more of a headache, and they couldn't have as many prepped at any given time, but uncanny forethought and the like means it wouldn't be too bad, too be honest. It's be mildly irksome at worst. A minor inconvenience. Wizards would still be gods, and melee still wouldn't have nice things.

Offline Concerned Ninja Citizen

• Legendary Member
  • I am Concerned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 09:34:08 PM »
It'd hurt Schrodinger's Wizard more than the majority of actual wizards in actual games.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 12:34:26 PM »
It'd hurt Schrodinger's Wizard more than the majority of actual wizards in actual games.

This.  Even in the high powered games I've played in I haven't seen anyone attempt to abuse divinations or Contingency.

Offline Bauglir

• Constrained
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 03:04:15 PM »
It's solid theorycraft, but virtually nobody cares enough to actually implement it. We tend to operate on mathematician logic around here. We know a solution exists, and actually finding it in a particular case is usually less interesting than proving the general case :P

Offline PlzBreakMyCampaign

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 11:15:39 PM »
other divinations
What else are you worried about? Without CoP, there is very little I find broken among divinations for combat. They still break the crap out of plot devices/twists.