Author Topic: Group 2, OOC  (Read 28353 times)

Offline ariasderros

• Honorary Mod
  • PM me what you're giving Kudos for please.
    • View Profile
Re: Group 2, OOC
« Reply #60 on: March 14, 2013, 03:01:49 PM »
Would Grugruk know of the orcish father the woman speaks of?

No, completely different tribe, to say nothing of the fact that the old woman wouldn't be able to give you any decent kind of description.

(click to show/hide)
My new Sig
Hi, Welcome

Offline Flay Crimsonwind

• Legendary Member
  • The devil so nice, they damned him thrice.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 14, 2013, 04:22:04 PM »
Ooooooh boy! I thought it might be a dragon or something, but that is so much better. And yeah, totally expected them to be a cult, which worked out with an isolated semi-arctic community. Keep the weirdos away, basically, lol.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 04:25:15 PM by Flay Crimsonwind »
I'm here and ready to keep confusing the hell out of everyone I meet.

Offline geniussavant

• Legendary Member
  • Neither genius nor savant, mostly just confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 14, 2013, 07:02:24 PM »
In the setting, blessed bloods are extremely rare, so would Grugruk have kept his magic a secret, or would he have been open about it? And would he even know about his magic, or would he think he just has a better conection to the animal spirits than most?
Smile beautiful. It's not as bad as you think.
I usually post from my phone. Please excuse any typos. I swear, they're the phone's fault.

Offline ariasderros

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 14, 2013, 07:16:17 PM »
In the setting, blessed bloods are extremely rare, so would Grugruk have kept his magic a secret, or would he have been open about it? And would he even know about his magic, or would he think he just has a better conection to the animal spirits than most?

I'll leave both of those up to you.
If you were open about it, your tribe-mates would have been awed by you, and a little timid around you.
It's also up to you whether or not, as far as you're concerned, that's all magic is.
My new Sig
Hi, Welcome

Offline geniussavant

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 14, 2013, 09:41:16 PM »
What about elementals? At the very least, his shaman would have been powerful enough to summon them. Anything particular in the setting about them?
I usually post from my phone. Please excuse any typos. I swear, they're the phone's fault.

Offline ariasderros

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 14, 2013, 09:50:50 PM »
What about elementals? At the very least, his shaman would have been powerful enough to summon them. Anything particular in the setting about them?

Elementals are the very incarnation of the elements. Yes, they are native to the elemental planes, but there are enough hidden within the elements in this plane to encounter.
Also, note, (Summoning) is not (Calling), you do not call forth an actual creature when (Summoning). Summon Monster calls extraplaner creatures by pulling the energy of their basic form through the Astral Plane and uses that energy coupled with the astral energy and the native essence to make a basic copy of a creature. SNA basically just pulls forth the essence through a pattern that works to materialize the a creature from the spirit energies of that creature.
Zceryll, does the same thing as SM, but he puts his own energy into it too.

I haven't worked out where Spellshaping works into the physics of everything yet. Still need to read more.

I'm thinking your shaman probably had about 12-14 Druid levels. Maybe some Cross Class levels too, but I'll leave the rest up to you. I'm just thinking that a guy like what is in your backgroud probably had some fight in him, at least enough to give a Chilblain a few issues on his own.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 09:53:54 PM by ariasderros »
My new Sig
Hi, Welcome

Offline geniussavant

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 14, 2013, 10:44:07 PM »
I had though that there were calling spells on the druid list, but just checked, and there aren't any.

As for the Shaman and the two pretenders, did you want me to stat them out, or give build scketches? I don't particularly have anything in mind, but I could if you wanted. You seem to be giving me quite a bit of lee way with Grugruk's tribe. I wouldn't mind fleshing them out with you as the game went on. What CR/elc did you have in mind? The Shaman, I figure would be mostly druid, maybe a few levels to shore things up, but otherwise want to preserve his casting ability. Maybe a few levels in a prestige class that advanced spell casting but not wild shape. One of the elemental PRC's could be interesting.

Offline ariasderros

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 14, 2013, 10:56:12 PM »
I had though that there were calling spells on the druid list, but just checked, and there aren't any.

As for the Shaman and the two pretenders, did you want me to stat them out, or give build scketches? I don't particularly have anything in mind, but I could if you wanted. You seem to be giving me quite a bit of lee way with Grugruk's tribe. I wouldn't mind fleshing them out with you as the game went on. What CR/elc did you have in mind? The Shaman, I figure would be mostly druid, maybe a few levels to shore things up, but otherwise want to preserve his casting ability. Maybe a few levels in a prestige class that advanced spell casting but not wild shape. One of the elemental PRC's could be interesting.

I'm letting you do as much of your tribe as it takes for you to feel out your character. It's the same for everyone, really. As far as stating, that really isn't necessary, the main thing I was referring to with his character level was to figure his summoning level.

That said, when it comes to NPC's, Gear, or anything else at all: that which I am fed, I will use.
Seriously, I love that "Equipment wish list" section.  :D
My new Sig
Hi, Welcome

Offline geniussavant

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 14, 2013, 11:01:24 PM »
SirPercival got me started on that. Usually I don't get too involved with it, but it never hurts. If you give me a vague CR/elc, I can go from there and you can use it if it comes up, or store it for latter, either way, it'll give me more excuses to work on his tribe which may or may not be important, but I find it fun. I have a tendancy to get very involved in a character, while it's much harder for me to get into entire world building. Probably what's giving me such trouble with the campaign I'm DMing with ya'll

Offline Concerned Ninja Citizen

• Legendary Member
  • I am Concerned
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 14, 2013, 11:14:55 PM »
That said, when it comes to NPC's, Gear, or anything else at all: that which I am fed, I will use.
Seriously, I love that "Equipment wish list" section.  :D

Hmm, now to stat up a Red Dragon 20, Incantatrix 10 and copy paste the major artifacts from the SRD into an equipment wish list section... *

*The above should in no way be taken seriously

Offline ariasderros

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 14, 2013, 11:53:31 PM »
SirPercival got me started on that. Usually I don't get too involved with it, but it never hurts. If you give me a vague CR/elc, I can go from there and you can use it if it comes up, or store it for latter, either way, it'll give me more excuses to work on his tribe which may or may not be important, but I find it fun. I have a tendency to get very involved in a character, while it's much harder for me to get into entire world building. Probably what's giving me such trouble with the campaign I'm DMing with ya'll
Ask and ye shall receive. A wall of text.  :P
(click to show/hide)

My main problem is that the muse hits me when I am preoccupied with other stuff, or when I'm too tired to really put it coherently. Plus, I need to spend more time learning Maptool, making a Photobucket account and filling it up, et cetra. I have so much to do that when I look at doing it, it feels like work, thus it doesn't get done. Same thing for when I make complex characters. Which is why Amalia took so long, and why Soinolis hasn't been touched in a long time (no pun intended).
So, yeah, I get it. It's cool.

Hmm, now to stat up a Red Dragon 20, Incantatrix 10 and copy paste the major artifacts from the SRD into an equipment wish list section... *
*The above should in no way be taken seriously

Oh, feel free to list the artifacts you want. Then I get to build who it is who's currently using them.  :evillaugh
My new Sig
Hi, Welcome

Offline ShadowViper

• Don't go looking for snakes, you might find them.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 15, 2013, 12:01:11 AM »
SirPercival got me started on that. Usually I don't get too involved with it, but it never hurts. If you give me a vague CR/elc, I can go from there and you can use it if it comes up, or store it for latter, either way, it'll give me more excuses to work on his tribe which may or may not be important, but I find it fun. I have a tendancy to get very involved in a character, while it's much harder for me to get into entire world building. Probably what's giving me such trouble with the campaign I'm DMing with ya'll

Probably already thought of this, but you could try creating NPCs, treat them as regular characters and build the world around them, each NPC expanding a different section of the world. Trick your mind kinda thing.
I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hara-Kiri rock! I need scissors! 61!

" 'Giving up' kills people. When a person refuses to give up, he earns the right to walk down the road of humanity." - Alucard

Offline ariasderros

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 15, 2013, 03:08:12 AM »
I put up a lot of local stuff in the Info thread. feel free to peruse and ask further questions  :)
My new Sig
Hi, Welcome

Offline geniussavant

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 15, 2013, 11:24:00 AM »
Here is what I figure an average fighter would look like from his tribe

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
The lack of metal armor is intentional to keep from the frozen armor rules in frostburn. Otherwise they seem fairly standard. Not particularly the smartest though...

I'm thinking a frenzied berserker build for one of the two remaining leaders. The tribe lives in fear of his rage and tries to keep him calm. The other I'm still looking around at some things for.

Maybe spirit lion totem barbarian 1 + fighter 2+ Warchief 7 for the second. He'd rule more because he works with the tribe, and has a few very loyal followers, but couldn't get rid of the frenzied berserker in a blood match for leadership.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 03:22:45 PM by geniussavant »

Offline geniussavant

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 17, 2013, 11:08:29 PM »
Did you have any ideas as for what's happening to his tribe while he's away?

Offline ariasderros

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 18, 2013, 12:36:45 AM »
Did you have any ideas as for what's happening to his tribe while he's away?

Not at this point, I'm investing more of my energy into what's going on now.
I'll worry more about events there when I need a plot hook, or 20, for you.

For the most part, survival lessons a' la' frostburn. Once in a while something more problematic comes along, but I'm not going to wipe out your tribe or even really devastate them without giving you a chance to do something.
I might have some ideas as to social occurrences that would be going on, but nothing decided or definite at this point.

Why?
My new Sig
Hi, Welcome

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 18, 2013, 07:35:43 PM »
Phaedrus, shall I just assume that message was for Fina, as a means of getting inside intel on the lady? You didn't mention who you were speaking to.  :P

Offline geniussavant

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 18, 2013, 07:39:06 PM »
That's how i took it too

Offline geniussavant

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 19, 2013, 10:08:23 PM »
Posted the tracking checks I'm the dice roll thread

Offline geniussavant

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 20, 2013, 12:01:39 AM »
Can I get one of yall to look ay Grugruk's hounds' skills? I don't think I calculated them right.