Author Topic: Alternate term for mons.  (Read 1786 times)

Offline Agrippa

• I'm not quite sure what to say.
    • View Profile
Alternate term for mons.
« on: August 10, 2013, 01:34:10 AM »
I'm pretty sure that most people here have an idea of what the mons genre is. So with that out of the way, what do you think would be a nice generic term for mons? This is for a homebrew project I'm working on.

Offline Chemus

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
Re: Alternate term for mons.
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 04:18:51 AM »
Something as simple as 'pet' may do, but consider altering a word to fit. Such as shortening or misspelling, say the word companion, or familiar. In fact, just making the word into a proper noun (i.e., Companion a la the Firefly Series) would call it out.

So, Familiar is taken, as is Cohort. Perhaps one of these:

Companion, Pet, Summonee, The Called, Totem (+Spirit?), Guide, Meatwall (J/K), Construct (Taken. twice with Astral Construct), Homonculus (or some bastardization of same, taken), Thrall (taken), some form of the word Artifice/Artifact (Taken, kinda), Mannequin (word looks like Man-Horse, now that I think of it...sorta like clothes horse. change the 'man' part to the creature that it mimics, so Drakkequin, Felinnequin, etc.), Anima/Animus (Spirit or animating force), Guardian, Beast-(something, like thrall), Thrallbeast, Star+CritterNameHere (StarHorse, StarDragon, StarCat, etc.)

That's all the ideas that I can marginally articulate. Hope you find an inspiration.
Apathy is ...ah screw it.
My Homebrew

Offline Demelain

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 12:15:04 PM »
Companion, Familiar, and Summons are all D&D terms which might fit - though the last one is more restricted by fluff (it might make sense to call a captured pokémon a summons because of the ball-mechanic, but wild ones not so much). Of the three, summons is my favorite. If it fits your fluff for how tamed mons are called, I'd consider it and call wild ones something else. Would even make a nice division in terminology based on that.
A thesaurus isn't particularly helpful, none of the words "sound" right in this context.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 12:17:41 PM by Demelain »

Offline Agrippa

• I'm not quite sure what to say.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 02:03:00 PM »
I'm settling for Augmented Beast.