Author Topic: I feel a bit ticked off.  (Read 7439 times)

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
  • Thread Necromancy a specialty
    • View Profile
I feel a bit ticked off.
« on: April 16, 2012, 11:05:40 PM »
Alright, this WON'T be a rant about how I have to finish a college level course in less than a month, because I'm insane.

No, I will instead bitch about the state of affairs in the Homebrew Forums of GiantITP.

Before the comments flow in, I did go over there expecting a lot of dreck, and it was mostly fine for a while... there are brilliant people that only post over there, and their wonderful 'brews bring me joy.

But then NeoSeraphi started posting. Now, I have no problem with the guy personally; I daresay he is a perfectly cordial chap if you met him in person.

However, the shear volume of homebrew he produces sickens me. Alright, not the volume itself, but the shear amount of (self-admittedly) ill-thought out shit. He sometimes runs across something actually, you know , nice, fun, and interesting once in a while, but his constant insistence that Rogues are shitty and the fact that, no matter what he makes, the grand majority of people consider it AWESOME!!!1!! just drives me up the wall.

What especially ticks me off is that he can post a short little drip of an idea, and everyone reads it and posts, and goes Oo-la-la!, when a ton of other, far more awesome threads get a cursory glance and a dismissal. Damn it, I admit my stuff is sometimes crappy, but no-one even looks at my stuff at all, and I can literally beg for feedback and everyone is silent.

God damn it, people! RAGE!

Of course, this is partially brought around by stress (oh dear god, I am under stress right now), but, eh, redirection never hurt anyone.
"There is happiness for those who accept their fate, there is glory for those that defy it."

"Now that everyone's so happy, this is probably a good time to tell you I ate your parents."

Offline dman11235

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Disclaimer: not at full capacity yet
    • View Profile
Re: I feel a bit ticked off.
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 01:02:46 AM »
I feel your pain.  I rarely get a second glance at my stuff, and I end up spending a ton of time reviewing other brews instead of writing my own.  I find that if you make a really awesome (but not mindblowingly awesome) thing that is realyl well (if not perfectly) balanced, then very few people will comment on it.  Maybe a "this is awesome" or "this is a brokered as ToB!11!!!!1!", but those are few and far between.  People tend to comment on things that they think they should like or things that are terrible.

Side note: I think, despite the many views, I have two people who have responded with substance to my homebrews on these boards.  I have concluded that this means I am an awesome brewer, or so bad that it literally leaves people speechless.  Yeah, people almost never respond to mine either.
My Sig's Handy Haversack  Need help?  Want to see what I've done?  Want to see what others have done well?  Check it out.

Offline Agita

• He Who Lurks
  • *stare*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 02:25:55 AM »
I feel your pain.  I rarely get a second glance at my stuff, and I end up spending a ton of time reviewing other brews instead of writing my own.  I find that if you make a really awesome (but not mindblowingly awesome) thing that is realyl well (if not perfectly) balanced, then very few people will comment on it.  Maybe a "this is awesome" or "this is a brokered as ToB!11!!!!1!", but those are few and far between.  People tend to comment on things that they think they should like or things that are terrible.
It seems to me that people are more inclined to comment on two general categories of posts - things that are terrible and should by all rights just burn, and things they want to like but have problems with. If something needs just a few tweaks to go down from being overpowered to cool, that'll make people want to make those tweaks more than a couple of minor problems in otherwise through and through solid work. Among the homebrew veekie and I have co-authored, the Blood Mage (I need to respond to that thread sometime) was agreed to be overpowered, but salvageable with some tuning. It's also the homebrew by us that's gotten the most responses.

Side note: I think, despite the many views, I have two people who have responded with substance to my homebrews on these boards.  I have concluded that this means I am an awesome brewer, or so bad that it literally leaves people speechless.  Yeah, people almost never respond to mine either.
You are pretty cool, yeah.
Please send private messages regarding board matters to Forum Staff instead.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 02:30:58 AM »
Neither.

You posted homebrew? Hm, didn't know.

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 08:23:26 AM »
dman, your stuff is high-quality in general, and I know that I generally don't comment on stuff because I'm just not that good at reviewing other people's stuff, for some reason.  I think you and Garryl should get more credit for commenting on almost everything out there.
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline dman11235

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 09:23:19 AM »
Neither.

You posted homebrew? Hm, didn't know.

I was more prolific on the other boards, but I have a system and a couple other minor things up here.  I'm currently working on another system that may end up being a printed sourcebook, for those interested.  As well as a re-write of the entire combat system to work out kinks, and a re-write of the item/equipment system, and the various things I posted elsewhere that need a new home.  It'll be done in a couple decades I'm guessing.

Thanks guys.  @Agita: yeah, you and veekie are two of the people I look to for great stuff usually (bhu, Prime, SiFir, Ejo, Bauglir, and bkdubs are some of the others here who do great work, but this is not an exhaustive list).  I think the only reason I stopped commenting on it is because, well, I forgot, and nobody responded after me (so no "new post" alert to remind me).
My Sig's Handy Haversack  Need help?  Want to see what I've done?  Want to see what others have done well?  Check it out.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 10:04:22 AM »
But then NeoSeraphi started posting. Now, I have no problem with the guy personally; I daresay he is a perfectly cordial chap if you met him in person.

However, the shear volume of homebrew he produces sickens me. Alright, not the volume itself, but the shear amount of (self-admittedly) ill-thought out shit. He sometimes runs across something actually, you know , nice, fun, and interesting once in a while, but his constant insistence that Rogues are shitty and the fact that, no matter what he makes, the grand majority of people consider it AWESOME!!!1!! just drives me up the wall.

What especially ticks me off is that he can post a short little drip of an idea, and everyone reads it and posts, and goes Oo-la-la!, when a ton of other, far more awesome threads get a cursory glance and a dismissal. Damn it, I admit my stuff is sometimes crappy, but no-one even looks at my stuff at all, and I can literally beg for feedback and everyone is silent.

Hallelujah, I'm not alone. NeoSeraphi has some decent stuff, but between the smugness and the sheer volume of unimpressive homebrew. I just don't find it worth my time to read it. Not that there's nothing worth reading there, just that on average it isn't and there's rarely a good indication at a glance which is and which isn't. Kind of a shame, really.

(Btw, grammar nazi is visiting. I believe you're looking for "sheer", as in quantity, not "shear", as in removing wool from sheep.)

Oh, and if you ever have more homebrew, let me know. I find your work is generally interesting and reasonable (albeit weird).

dman, your stuff is high-quality in general, and I know that I generally don't comment on stuff because I'm just not that good at reviewing other people's stuff, for some reason.  I think you and Garryl should get more credit for commenting on almost everything out there.

Aw, gee willickers. Thanks, man.

Offline dman11235

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 11:34:58 AM »
What do you say garryl?  Team up and form an awesome crimebad homebrew fighting duo?

And on topic: there's a reason I stopped visiting GitP, and it totally wasn't the fact that my account is locked due to inactivity.  A lot of the stuff that gets made over there falls into that problem.  I'm not familiar with the guy you are talking about, but I noticed while I was there that my criticisms went not only unheeded, but actively ignored and attacked.  You're right, between the dribble that gets praised for some strange reason, there's some great stuff (VorpalTribble and Prime I both met over there, for instance, and VT taught me a lot about everything I do).  The Avatar project is a great example of this.  The crew that worked on it over there didn't know how to design things well, I hopped on, and since this was a work in progress at the time, I could still fix the basic problems with the system.  And basically everything said that was negative (as in, things said that criticized the system rather than praised it unconditionally, regardless of whether or not it's constructive criticism) was ignored or attacked.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 12:07:24 PM »
That's weird. Most of the time, when I point out an issue in someone's brew, they rectify it.

Offline Prime32

• Over-Underling
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2012, 12:38:50 PM »
You're right, between the dribble that gets praised for some strange reason, there's some great stuff (VorpalTribble and Prime I both met over there, for instance, and VT taught me a lot about everything I do).
I haven't posted a lot of homebrew at GitP though, maybe 2 or 3 threads.

That's weird. Most of the time, when I point out an issue in someone's brew, they rectify it.
Maybe it's your tone? :shrug

Offline dman11235

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2012, 12:47:38 PM »
Maybe not, but that's where I met you (I think?).  And the things I saw from you....maybe it was at WotC or the old boards?  I know you've done a number of great things.  You've always been on my "is great" list.

Offline Agita

• He Who Lurks
  • *stare*
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2012, 01:47:27 PM »
Thanks guys.  @Agita: yeah, you and veekie are two of the people I look to for great stuff usually (bhu, Prime, SiFir, Ejo, Bauglir, and bkdubs are some of the others here who do great work, but this is not an exhaustive list).  I think the only reason I stopped commenting on it is because, well, I forgot, and nobody responded after me (so no "new post" alert to remind me).
Shucks, you made me blush. And post in the Blood Mage thread.
Please send private messages regarding board matters to Forum Staff instead.

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
  • Thread Necromancy a specialty
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2012, 04:14:26 PM »
The only real reason I still post over there is because I enjoy the Iron Chef competition, and I have not yet gotten a full handle on the tables over here.

You know what, though? I'm seriously considering, once I am finished with some of the really rough stuff I'm going through right now, I'm totally going to try porting all 20+ threads of my homebrew over here, and I'll, you know, actually have time to finish some of it.

But, yeah, I do find the atmosphere over there can get a little... aggravating. One of the things that provoked this thread was finding a thread bashing Oslecamo pretty damn heavily... which considering he is banned over there, is really not cricket.

And thank you for that correction, Garryl; my spelling tends to start going when I get annoyed, so...
"There is happiness for those who accept their fate, there is glory for those that defy it."

"Now that everyone's so happy, this is probably a good time to tell you I ate your parents."

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2012, 04:45:35 PM »
Its also against the rules

Once someone is banned from GitP you aren't supposed to discuss them

Offline Prime32

• Over-Underling
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2012, 04:55:14 PM »
You know what, though? I'm seriously considering, once I am finished with some of the really rough stuff I'm going through right now, I'm totally going to try porting all 20+ threads of my homebrew over here, and I'll, you know, actually have time to finish some of it.
Pfff. Wimp. Take a look at the last few pages of Homebrew and House Rules. :p

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2012, 05:18:10 PM »
Trivia, but I only found the old BG forums thanks to Prime32's homebrew links back in GITP. Did I ever thank you for that? Then I'll do so now.

The rules there only apply at the mod's whims. That's how most people there get banned actually.

Also I'm still being bashed over there? Must've done something really right! :P
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 05:19:53 PM by oslecamo »

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2012, 05:24:48 PM »
Amechra, if you're having trouble with tables, let me know. I know my way around this forum's tables pretty well.

It's also against the rules (and not very effective, anyways) to start telling people that they're acting against the rules. I'm not actually sure what the appropriate course of action there is if you observe someone breaking the rules. Probably PMing the moderators about it, but I'm not sure. Isn't there a report button or something?

Pfff. Wimp. Take a look at the last few pages of Homebrew and House Rules. :p

Pfft. Double wimp. Mine's bigger. Mostly because I measure it in arbitrary units. So I suppose I should say that my units are more arbitrary than yours.  :P

Offline RedWarlock

• Crimson-colored caster of calamity
    • View Profile
    • Red Blade Studios
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2012, 05:29:30 PM »
I'm surprised actually, I have a scratch-built base class concept mirror-posted here and on GitP. So far, nobody's said a word on it here, while the GitP post at least has a handful of responses, if not the major noise I was expecting, positive OR negative. I feel somewhat put out. :P
WarCraft post-d20: A new take on the World of WarCraft for tabletop. I need your eyes and comments!

Offline ImperatorK

• Legendary Member
  • Chara did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
    • Kristof Imperator YouTube Channel
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2012, 05:37:18 PM »
Isn't there a report button or something?
There is.
Magic is for weaklings.

Alucard: "*snif snif* Huh? Suddenly it reeks of hypocrisy in here. Oh, if it isn't the Catholic Church. And what's this? No little Timmy glued to your crotch. Progress!"
My YT channel - LoL gameplay

Offline Prime32

• Over-Underling
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2012, 05:56:15 PM »
I'm surprised actually, I have a scratch-built base class concept mirror-posted here and on GitP. So far, nobody's said a word on it here, while the GitP post at least has a handful of responses, if not the major noise I was expecting, positive OR negative. I feel somewhat put out. :P
GitP has approximately 400 times the memberbase, so there's that. :p