Author Topic: Why does everyone joke about the end of NGE being unintelligable?  (Read 2016 times)

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
  • Thread Necromancy a specialty
    • View Profile
Because it really isn't; in fact, it made me so happy, because it makes everything make wonderful, beautiful sense. It makes even more sense due to someone's depressed breakdown.

Spoiled for those who haven't watched the original series (I haven't gotten around to watching the movies or the remake, so if something there fucks all this over, I ascribe that to a wider canon (I.E., for my purposes, the writers hadn't come up with the movies at that point.))

(click to show/hide)

Why do I hold this interpretation? Because I have pretty bad social anxiety issues, and so does my father; in fact, as I was watching the series, I kept on seeing parallels between Shinji and Gendo's relationship and that of myself and my father (not nearly as abusive on my end, just emotionally distant.) So, in other words, I kinda feel like I have "an insider's perspective" (or something) on the ending.

Tl;Dr: The ending to Neon Genesis Evangelion made perfect logical sense, given the context of the series, as long as you are willing to accept that the entire thing takes place in a more-or-less directly metaphorical sense.
"There is happiness for those who accept their fate, there is glory for those that defy it."

"Now that everyone's so happy, this is probably a good time to tell you I ate your parents."

Offline Unbeliever

• Legendary Member
  • gentleman gamer
    • View Profile
Re: Why does everyone joke about the end of NGE being unintelligable?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 11:20:21 AM »
I don't complain about its incomprehensibility.  Although I'll note that an abrupt shift from what is essentially realism -- i.e., the opposite of allegorical -- to the last hour of a series is pretty bad storytelling.  When things get all weird in Ulysses, that's fine, it's an established mode in the context of the novel.  Neon Genesis just busted out with it out of the blue.

No, I complain that it's not a particularly good or artful ending.  There are many, many things left unresolved, plotlines that were dropped, and it lacks any real climax. 

Offline kurashu

• Tinker Mechanic Programmer Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 01:25:56 PM »
Not every plot line needs to be resolved. I actually hate it when that happens. It feels like the universe of that particular fiction just...ends. Loose ends encourage speculation and follow ups (see End of Eva and Death and Rebirth). Given that I'm positive the ending was partly that way because of Gainax's habit of blowing all of their money and then being like, "Shit. We spent all the moneiz and we need an ending."

Offline Libertad

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
    • My Fantasy and Gaming Blog
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 01:37:54 PM »
Not every plot line needs to be resolved. I actually hate it when that happens. It feels like the universe of that particular fiction just...ends. Loose ends encourage speculation and follow ups (see End of Eva and Death and Rebirth). Given that I'm positive the ending was partly that way because of Gainax's habit of blowing all of their money and then being like, "Shit. We spent all the moneiz and we need an ending."

Around that time, Gainax was fined into bankruptcy for tax fraud and the company's President got arrested, so Anno and the NGE crew didn't have much funding left.  The last two episodes would've had a different ending were it not for this.  At least that's what I've heard.

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
  • Thread Necromancy a specialty
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 04:26:18 AM »
I've heard the same rumors, and I buy it; of course, I'd like to think that the show is consistent, so I come up for in-cannon reasons for things. It's a thing, I guess...

As for the style... It's the same style used for
(click to show/hide)

And yeah, I prefer that at least some plot threads are left open as well; if things rap up too neatly, or not at all, then I get pissed off.

Because really, NGE isn't about the Angels; they're window-dressing. Really dangerous window-dressing, but window-dressing all the same.
"There is happiness for those who accept their fate, there is glory for those that defy it."

"Now that everyone's so happy, this is probably a good time to tell you I ate your parents."