Author Topic: Past, Present, and Future Index & Discussion  (Read 32921 times)

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
  • "Insight is the sudden cessation of stupidity."
    • View Profile
Re: Past, Present, and Future Index & Discussion
« Reply #60 on: August 21, 2013, 12:10:35 PM »
SirP, do you mind if I format the classes to match the template, rather than how you have Echocaller and Historian (i.e. the "Making a [Class]"/Game Rule Info/Skills stuff), or would you rather keep it the same?

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 21, 2013, 12:12:52 PM »
SirP, do you mind if I format the classes to match the template, rather than how you have Echocaller and Historian (i.e. the "Making a [Class]"/Game Rule Info/Skills stuff), or would you rather keep it the same?
I'd rather keep it the same as I have Echocaller and Historian.
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 21, 2013, 12:46:40 PM »
I'd rather keep it the same as I have Echocaller and Historian.
Ok.

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 21, 2013, 02:08:53 PM »
I'll give you edits/comments here. If you guys can keep a changelog of what you're doing, that would be excellent.

Fleeting Knowledge (Su): The Chronomancer has a responsibility to the worlds of time, and, thus, time has one to him, protecting and forewarning him. Once per day, during a surprise round when in which the Chronomancer would be otherwise have been surprised, he may take a standard and a swift action during a that surprise round, and acts first in the initiative for that round acting before any other creatures take their turns. He then rolls initiative as normal once the surprise round is complete. He The Chronomancer gains an one additional use of this ability at levels 5, 10, 15 and 20.

Chronological Security (Ex): The Chronomancer is secure in his own time, and heavily resistants to any who would attempt to alter his personal time stream. Beginning at 2nd level, tThe Chronomancer becomes immune to all negative time-altering effects the negative effects of any spell or ability which would alter his own timeflow, such as the slow or temporal stasis spells. The Chronomancer may voluntarily raise or lower this ability at any time as a free action for one round.

Legends of the Aeons (Su): Well at home with what has come before and what will go since, the Chronomancer can search through the waves of the past or the future to find something of use to him. He may call a single item of value less than 100 gold pieces per chronomancer level. This item disappears after 5 rounds, and may not be an expendable item, or one with charges. Calling the item is a move action. Upon reaching 3rd level, he may summon from time a useful mundane object, which is a normal object of the appropriate kind.  By making a DC 16 Intelligence check at will as a move action, he can conjure any object which takes up no more than 1 cubic foot. The item remains for 5 rounds, or until it leaves his hand, at which point it disappears.

One Step Beyond (Ex): Dancing and swaying amid the changing tides of time, the Chronomancer bathes himself in the stream of time, letting it soak through his skin, and into his mind. Beginning at 4th level, wWhenever the Chronomancer creates a slice, he may step outside of the present for a single moment, that lasts until the beginning of his next turn. If he does so, he cannot be affected by any spell, effect, or attack. disappearing in a flare of energy to reappear at the beginning of his next turn. He returns in exactly the same orientation and position that he left; if the space from which the Chronomancer departed is occupied upon his return to the time stream, he appears in the closest unoccupied space, still in his original orientation. Determine the closest space randomly if necessary. The round in which the Chronomancer returns, he cannot use take any swift or standard actions.

Life Span (Ex): Each morning, starting at 5th level, the Chronomancer chooses thewhat age category he will be for the day. If he chooses a different category than his normal age category changes, he receives all benefits and penalties of that age his normal age bonuses and penalties are altered appropriately.

I can do more later, those are just the first few to give you an idea of how I was thinking this would work.

Offline KellKheraptis

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Temporal Dissonance Technician
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 14, 2013, 08:36:42 AM »
Would this be the spot to post what I envisioned for the remake of the Elven High Mage, the PrC equivalent of the duskblade/spellsword (channelling style gish), and the Bladesinger PrC?  I have some wicked ideas for all of them based on the premise of the Historian and his mutable casting/fusillades.

Offline Avalon®

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 20, 2013, 09:16:53 PM »
What's the status of this project? This was a great idea from the previous board and I'd hate to see it go.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 20, 2013, 11:41:53 PM »
Last I heard, Sirpercival was taking a bit of a hiatus from homebrewing. Not a clue what FitS has been up to. Amechra seems to have stopped porting things over from the old forums, too.

In case this ever gets taken up again, fingers crossed, I have a couple of comments.
- Fleeting Knowledge should not arbitrarily set you to go first, just some really high initiative count for the purpose of acting in the surprise round (say, at +20 above what you've already rolled, or treating your roll as a nat 20 for the surprise round's initiative count only) so that multiple characters using Fleeting Knowledge in the same surprise round (or similar abilities) actually have a defined order of acting. Also, it's mildly unintuitive that you can use the ability to act first if you are surprised, but not if you aren't surprised (and thus act in the surprise round) but would act later than your enemies due to rolling lower on initiative.
- The proposed changes to Legends of the Aeons is way too open-ended. It's Minor Creation++ at will. Grab yourself a jug of Black Lotus poison, or a Sickstone lantern, or a block of antimatter, maybe?
- One Step Beyond should make it so that you can't use slices in the round after you reappear. It should also actually remove some of your actions (similar to the nauseated condition) so you don't just use full-round actions to do full-round action stuff. I don't know what the options with slices normally are, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's some way to use them as immediate, move, or full-round actions, if not now then eventually.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 11:57:47 PM by Garryl »

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 13, 2014, 07:17:28 PM »
Well, well, hello there. It's nice to see that someone liked my work enough to move it over to the new boards. As you can tell from my (lack of) an avatar, I've only just joined the boards again after a long, long break. And I'm exceedingly rusty on my DnD 3.5 mechanics, so I shall have to spend some time waking myself back up. Do let me know if there have been any major changes to the classes I should know about.

Also, I have another 4-5 class systems I could drag in here, if appropriate?

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 13, 2014, 07:31:43 PM »
*waves* Had a read through everything here, although not in enough detail to remember what all those changes mean. Hoping I can get a little help while getting back up to speed at tweaking these things :)

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 13, 2014, 07:35:46 PM »
HI!!!!

Speaking for myself, most of what I had done was formatting. I don't think I had really made any changes (although, if I did they were certainly marked in the changelogs.)

EDIT: If you post in this thread, you can get Prime to add you as a mod on this subforum, and then you'll be able to edit sirpercival's and my posts of the original classes.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 07:44:24 PM by FireInTheSky »

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 13, 2014, 07:40:33 PM »
Hey mate :)

BTW, not sure where I should request it, but can we get the forum renamed so it feels more reasonable to dump all my other homebrew in here? I've got another system this size (Ritual Magic [never posted on BG]), Osteomancy, the general classes, and two unfinished systems (Rune Magic, Astral Magic).

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 13, 2014, 08:09:17 PM »
If you want this forum renamed, you can request it in that same thread. However, what you'll probably want to do is request another subforum (or several). What's typically been done is to give "larger" discrete projects their own sub-board, and then standalone stuff gets posted on the main homebrew board. And then, to keep it all together, you could start a thread somewhere, which contains an -index of links to all your stuff, and then link that thread in your sig. Forex, check out my and sirp's sigs - sirp has 4 different subboards of large projects (plus this one).

(Ritual Magic [never posted on BG])
Check it out. (The original, much more fleshed-out, but less internally consistent / balanced version)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 08:14:01 PM by FireInTheSky »

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 13, 2014, 08:25:47 PM »
Ah, okay. I can do that, but I didn't want to spam too many sub-boards out (I guess there'd be 2 [This and Ritual Magic]? Depends on whether Osteomancy deserves its own).

Interestingly, that's a completely different Ritual Magic system than mine. Mine the classes are:

Base
  • Ritualist
  • Ritual Warrior
  • Martyr

Prestige
  • Immolator Apostate
  • Panegyric
  • Quietus
  • Soul Channeller
  • Bone Crafter
  • Carcass Hunter
  • Cabalistic Thaumaturge
  • Ceremonial Butcher
  • Hunger
  • Lifeweaver
  • Planar Animist

It's actually bigger than PPF as a system, I think.

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 13, 2014, 08:37:14 PM »
Ah, okay. I can do that, but I didn't want to spam too many sub-boards out (I guess there'd be 2 [This and Ritual Magic]?
Meh. It's probably not a big deal.

EDIT: I'll go poke Amechra to see if he can post what he'd done with the Slices.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 08:39:25 PM by FireInTheSky »

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 13, 2014, 08:56:19 PM »
Hey Strato, welcome back! I hope you don't mind what we've done with the place...

From what I recall, most of the changes to Echocaller were simply matters of wording; however, Historian was requiring more extensive changes to make sure the mechanics worked properly. Since this is your work that we've been altering here, you're of course free to approve or veto any changes we've made, and/or suggest new stuff.

I can't wait to see the rest of your material! (and, any comments you have on my ridiculous amount of homebrew would be greatly appreciated XD)

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 13, 2014, 09:06:44 PM »
Well, first off, I have to remember what the hell DnD looks like - I've basically been away from it since I stopped posting on BG. The word "rusty" is something of an understatement.

Yeah, I know a lot of the abilities for the Echocaller and the like were written with mostly fluff, and one sentence of actual mechanics, which sometimes made it hard to understand. Clarity was not always my strongest suit when building these things up.

If there's places (or problems) on the Historian (or another class) that require particular attention, if you'd be so kind as to point them out, I'll start offering suggestions as to what the changes should be.

Also, my Ritual material is currently in PDF and ODF, and will need a lot of work to transfer to forum formatting. Anyone have an automated way to do that? Or feel like being a kindly assistant?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 09:08:17 PM by Stratovarius »

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 13, 2014, 09:38:34 PM »
Strat, I can see that you're already making a bunch of homebrew threads.

I suggest/request that you make a signature thread and put everything in there so that the rest of us can keep track of what you're doing.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 13, 2014, 09:47:25 PM »
Any particular forum in which I should place said thread?

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 13, 2014, 10:12:20 PM »
Doesn't totally matter. Of those who have them, they're mostly in either General DnD Discussion or DnD 3.5 and Pathfinder. (or Off Topic Fun)

Offline Prime32

• Over-Underling
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 13, 2014, 10:30:37 PM »
Also, I have another 4-5 class systems I could drag in here, if appropriate?
The appropriate thing would be to put each system in its own board. You can have as many as you need.