Author Topic: Storm Giant  (Read 10147 times)

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
Storm Giant
« on: July 02, 2012, 07:31:31 PM »
Storm Giant

HD:d8
Level BAB Fort Ref Will Feature
1 +0 +2 +0 +0 Storm Giant body, Powerful Build, Clear Grace, Sea Heritage, Str+1, Con+1
2 +1 +3 +0 +0 Thunder Weapon, Str+1, Con+1
3 +2 +3 +1 +1 Storm Magic, Str+1, Con+1
4 +3 +4 +1 +1 Growth, Titanic Archer, Str+1, Con+1
5 +3 +4 +1 +1 Trample, Storm Symphony, Armored Assault, Str+1, Con+1
6 +4 +5 +2 +2 Wild Spirit, Str+1, Con+1
7 +5 +5 +2 +2 Storm Breath, Str+1, Con+1
8 +6 +6 +2 +2 Fast as Lighting, Growth, Str+1, Con+1
9 +6 +6 +3 +3 Greater Storm Magic, Titanic Stubborness, Str+1, Con+1
10 +7 +7 +3 +3Storm Sentinel,  Shock Therapy, Str+1, Con+1
11 +8 +7 +3 +3Lighting Cloud, Titan Storm Magic, Str+1, Con+1
12 +9 +8 +4 +4A Titan Among Giants, Storm Sentinel Growth, Str+1, Con+1
13 +9 +7 +4 +4Storm Fury, Storm Sentinel, Str+1, Con+1
Skills: 6+int modifier per level, quadruple at first level. Class skills: Balance, Climb, Concentration, Craft (Any one), Diplomacy, Jump, Intimidate, Handle Animal, Knowledge(any), Listen, Perform, Profession (any) Sense Motive, Spot, Swim.

Proficiencies: All simple and martial weapons and his own natural weapons, plus light  armor.

Features:
Storm Giant body: The Storm Giant loses all other racial bonuses, and gains giant traits (mainly low light vision), a base speed of 30 feet, a swim speed of 20 feet, two natural slam attacks doing 1d4+Str each.  He's a medium-sized giant with a natural armor equal to his Con bonus and resistance against electricity equal to his HD.

Ability score increase: a Storm Giant gains +1 Str and +1 Con for each level in this class, up to a total of  +13 Str and +13 Con at 13th level.

Powerful Build: At first level, a Storm Giant gains Powerful Build.  The physical stature of Giants lets them function in many ways as if they were one size category larger. Whenever the Giant is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for an opposed check (such as during grapple checks, bull rush attempts, and trip attempts), the Giant is treated as one size larger if doing so is advantageous to him. A Giant is also considered to be one size larger when determining whether a creature’s special attacks based on size (such as improved grab or swallow whole) can affect him. A Giant can use weapons designed for a creature one size larger without penalty. However, his space and reach remain those of a creature of his actual size. The benefits of this racial trait stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject’s size category.

Clear Grace: All Storm giants possess an ethereal beauty  that seems contrary to their massive size and brute strength. They can use their Con mod instead of their Cha mod in all skill checks. In addition they gain four “free” skill points at first level, plus another for every extra HD they gain, that must be spent in Perform ranks.

Sea Heritage: Storm giants can breathe underwater indefinitely and can freely fight and use all their racial abilities while submerged.

Thunder Weapon:At 2nd level a number of times per day equal to his Con mod as a swift action, the  Storm Giant may coat a weapon he wields with lighting, dealing an extra 1d6  electricity damage per 2 HD, and oponents struck by it must suceed on a Reflex save with DC 10+1/2 HD+Str mod or become entangled for 2 rounds. If you hit an oponent  already entangled and they fail their Reflex save they become Slowed for 1 round. Bow weapons bestow this ability upon their arrows. This effect lasts 1 round per HD.

Storm Magic: At 3rd level, the Storm Giant can use Call Lighting and Levitate as a SLA each 1/hour with CL=HD, except it deals 1d6 electricity damage per HD (1d10 per HD in outdoor and stormy areas), the save DC is 10+1/2 HD+Str mod, and it even works underwater.

Growth: At fourth level, the Storm Giant finishes growing to large size but loses Powerful Build.  His AC, bonus to hit, slam damage, grapple and skills change accordingly, but he doesn't get any ability score bonus or penalties.  His base and swim  movement speeds both increases by 10' (This movement boost occurs again at 12 HD and 20HD, as the giant increases in size again).

The Storm Giant continues to grow throughout his life:
At 8HD, the Storm Giant reacquires Powerful Build, granting partial benefits of Huge size.
At 12HD, the Storm Giant grows to Huge size and loses Powerful Build.
At 16HD, the Storm Giant reacquires Powerful Build, granting partial benefits of Gargantuan size.
At 20HD, the Storm Giant grows to Gargantuan size and loses Powerful Build.

Titanic Archer:Unlike others of their kind, Storm Giants believe simple rocks to be a crude and unelegant way of    proving one's physical prowess at range, rather devoting themselves at archery.  At fourth level, the Storm Giant may use his Con mod for ranged attack rolls instead of Dex, any any bows he wields gain an extra 40 feet range for every size category the Storm Giant is bigger than medium and count as composite bows of an apropriate rating to his Str mod. In addition his arrows now ignore adverse wind conditions, even magic ones like Wind Wall.

Trample:  At fifth level, as a full-round action, The Giant can move up to twice his speed and literally run over any opponents at least one size category smaller than itself. The Giant merely has to move over the opponents in its path; any creature whose space is completely covered by the Giant’s space is subject to the trample attack. If a target’s space is larger than 5 feet, it is only considered trampled if the Giant moves over all the squares it occupies.

A trample attack deals bludgeoning damage (the Giant’s slam damage + 1½ times his Str modifier).

Trampled opponents can attempt attacks of opportunity, but these take a -4 penalty. If they do not make attacks of opportunity, trampled opponents can attempt Reflex saves to take half damage.

The save DC against the Giant’s trample attack is 10 + ½ Giant's HD + Giant’s Str modifier. The Giant can only deal trampling damage to each target once per round, no matter how many times its movement takes it over a target creature.

Storm Symphony: At fifth level, the Storm Giant gains Bardic Music as a Bard of his Storm Giant level-4. This stacks with levels of other classes that grant Bardic Music. He may use his Str mod instead of Cha mod in any Bardic Musics he plays, and he may start a bardic music as a move or swift action.

Armored Assault: As a Storm giant grows older, he learns that despite his tick hide and mighty fists, a good armor and a reach weapon are also good safety measures. At fifth level the Storm Giant gains proficiency with medium armor and all shields (except tower shields). He can wield a spear or longspear in just one hand whitout penalties, as long as he a shield on his other hand to counterbalance.

(click to show/hide)

Wild Spirit: Storm Giants are haughty and proud beings,going wherever they go and doing whatever they please, altough luckily for the lesser races, they're mostly benevolent and refrain from  violence unless directly provoked. At 6th level the Storm Giant benefits from a permanent Freedom of Movement effect on himself, and he can make an extra number of Aoos per round equal to his Str mod.

Storm Breath: At 7th level, at will you can produce a Gust of Wind effect, except it affects a cone up to 10 feet per HD, you can choose to mix the wind with lighting dealing 1d6 electricity damage per HD and/or to inflict permanent Deafness, and the DC is 10+1/2 HD+Con mod. If the enemy suceeds on the Fort save, they still take half electricity damage, but the deafness is negated. Once used, you need to wait 1d4 rounds before using Storm Breath again.

In addition you're now fully immune to electricity.

Fast as Lighting: At 8th level you can use your Call Lighting and Levitate SLAs as a standard, move or swift action. You can also call the lightings after using the SLA as an attack action, including iteratives and Aoos.  In addition you also don't take penalties for fighting while levitating anymore.

Greater Storm Magic: At 9th level you can use Chain Lighting and Control Winds as SLAs each 1/day per 3 HD, except the save DCs are 10+1/2 HD+Str mod and enemies failing their saves against the Chain Lighting are paralyzed for 1 round (if they were normally immune to paralyzis, they'll still be paralyzed if they fail by 5 or more).

Titanic Stubborness:
Storm Giants aren't ones to give up whitout a fight. A number of rounds per day equal to their Con mod, they may for 1 round ignore all  penalties from exterior sources on any of their 1d20 rolls and re-roll miss chances and missed attacks. Activating this ability takes no action, and the total number of uses may be spent among several uses along a day (minimum of 1 round spent per use).

Storm Sentinel: At 10th, 12th and 13th level pick one of the following options

(click to show/hide)

Shock Therapy:
At 10th level, the Storm Giant can use Titanic Stubborness on any ally whitin view, except this has a separate pool of "uses", also useable a number of times per day equal to his Con mod.

Lighting Cloud: At 11th level, a number of times per day equal to your Con mod, you can use Fog Cloud as a SLA as a fullround action, except the cloud is dark blue and black and constantly releases small lighting. Those that start their turns or move  under the cloud take 1d4 electricity damage per HD when the cloud is created and every round thereafter, Reflex save DC 10+1/2 HD+Str mod for half. Those inside the cloud take 1d6 electricity damage per HD, and are entangled for 1 round, Reflex save with the same DC for half and negating the Entangle. Either way, flying creatures failing their saves against this cloud drop to the ground.

If a creature was already entangled and fails their save against the Lighting Cloud, they're paralyzed for 1 round.
If a creature was already paralyzed and fails their save against the Lighting Cloud, the paralyzis lasts 1 extra round.

Strong winds do not disperse the Storm Cloud, and multiple clouds over the same area don't stack

Titan Storm Magic: At 11th level the Storm Giant can use Control Weather as a SLA 1/day per 5 HD, with any save DCs becoming 10+1/2 HD+Str mod. He's never affected by his own bad weather if he doesn't wishes to.

In addition, a Storm Giant who multiclasses into a caster class can count his Storm Giant levels as levels of that class for purposes of CL/ML and for the purposes of learning new spells/powers and getting new spell slots/power points. However, he does not retroactively gain spell slots or new spells for caster levels he did not take, nor does he add his Storm Giant level to his character level for the purpose of class features, such as familiars.

If he chooses to be a sorceror, or a cleric picking from the Chaos, Good, Protection, or War domains, he can increase his CL by 1 for all Electricity spells. If he picked sorceror, he can also use  Con or Str scores, whichever are lower, instead of  his Cha score for spellcasting purposes.

A Titan Among Giants: Storm giants are wild and awe-inspiring, towering over almost all other giants  in size, strength, and glory throughout history they have captured the hearts of mortals. Enraptured with the vision of untamed, raw beauty, suitors have given up treasures and birthrights in their usually fruitless attempts to earn storm giant's affections. While storm giants are hardly immune to the charms of other beings, they are haughty and proud, and demand tests of valor or cleverness to prove the worthiness of those seeking their hands. Even the giving of such a quest is often wrapped within a riddle, which must first be deciphered before the suitor's true task can begin.

At 12th level, the Storm giants gains followers and a cohort as if he had gained the leadership feat, except he uses his Con mod instead of Cha mod, his cohort and followers must be  storm or  cloud giants,  metallic dragons, surface or aquatic mortal races, animals or magic beasts. Unlike the fanatic minions of more vile creatures, the cohort and followers of the Storm giant need to be treated with their due respect and aren't readily replaced if killed. Usually the Storm Giant just takes an elite retine with him questing, and orders the rest to develop farms, gardens and castles where he may calmly rest and feast between adventures. If such a community is developed with at least half his followers invested on it all the time, the Storm Giant can find replacements to his retinue losses whenever he returns there and spends 1d6 days looking for suitable new members. This doesn't stack with the leadership feat.

Storm Fury: At 13th level, whenever the Storm Giant deals electricity damage, it ignores an amount of resistance equal to his own HD on any targets, and even other creatures that would normally be immune to electricity instead count as having electricity resistance 35. He can also 1/day use his Control Weather SLA as a fullround action.

In addition, if a Storm Giant suceeds on dealing electricity damage to an oponent it had already damaged on the last round, the damage is empowered and any DCs increase by 1. If he then deals damage in a third sucessive round, any electricity damage is maximized and save DCs increase by 2 instead. If he then deals damage in a fourth round the electricity damage is empowered and maximized and save DCs increase by 3!

Finally, the Storm Giant's Call Lighting now entangles oponents that failed their reflex saves for 1 round, or paralyzes for 1 round if they were already entangled (even creatures immune to paralyzis will be paralyzed if they fail by 5 or more), and the Storm Giant may call the lightings as an immediate action on top of an attack action.

Comments
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 04:59:16 AM by oslecamo »

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
Re: Storm Giant
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 07:42:43 PM »
Should probably specify starting size.
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 05:41:13 PM »
Fixed and it and a couple typos. So no more comments on this one?

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 07:09:32 PM »
It has the same issues as my own thunderhead, it does a load of electricity damage and hits things but not much else. Not that I can think of anything else to do or I would have finished my own class already :).

Thunder Weapon might be a bit much at low levels, possibly stagger the Slowed and Entangled effects a a bit up the table. Could be near impossible to resist at higher levels as a full attack gets multiple chances to entangle you. Same with Call lightning at level 13+

Storm's Fury would likley be better off completely ignoring resistance and half resistance as that is what the feats (Piercing Cold and Searing Spell) do.

Other than that though it looks good at first glance. Will go through it in detail later.

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 09:07:27 PM »
Actually, this class could prove pretty versatile. It gains bardic music and casting multiclass ability. If you can just get the ranks for perform somewhere, you could take a level of sorcerer after 11th level and jump into Sublime chord to progress spellcasting and bardic music abilities, or forget the bardic music and go into any other casting prestige class instead. Or just sorcerer, which would be plenty good enough.

Actually, this brings up an important point: The Storm Giant doesn't get Perform as a class skill, so as written, their Storm Symphony doesn't have any benefit at all. If the intention was that they get access to each Bardic Music ability at the intended level without requiring ranks in Perform, then it should be clarified in the ability.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2012, 05:38:27 AM »
Like VennDygren mentioned, the storm giant does have a fair amount of extra bits of utility and multiclassing prospects here and there.

Thunder weapon still demands you to hit the enemy and then allows a save, and the giant only has medium Bab.

Call Lighting will be easier to hit, but remember it caps at 10 bolts per hour and never paralyzes for more than 1 round, so you'll run out of uses pretty fast if you're trying to lock an enemy.

Counting immunity as high resistance is something I've done for other monster classes, and I personally prefer it like that because it doesn't make high resistances completely worthless right away.

Actually, this brings up an important point: The Storm Giant doesn't get Perform as a class skill, so as written, their Storm Symphony doesn't have any benefit at all. If the intention was that they get access to each Bardic Music ability at the intended level without requiring ranks in Perform, then it should be clarified in the ability.

I'll admit I forgot to add Perform as a class skill (fixed that), but even if that was intentional you could still buy ranks at a decreased rate.

Also check out Clear Grace at 1st level.

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2012, 11:28:43 AM »
You know, I did miss Clear Grace, which actually makes it all quite better. Still, much better being able to spend full ranks in a class skill than half ranks in a cross class skill, even if the ranks are free. *shrug*

Overall I like what I see. I've been trying to figure out a Thor-based build with this and maybe Paragon, focusing on one-handed fighting (or two-handed with a single-hand weapon) with a warhammer or something along those lines.

Offline Libertad

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
    • My Fantasy and Gaming Blog
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 07:16:37 PM »
Thanks for the Storm Giant, Oslecamo!

For ability increase, it gives +1 Str and Con every level for 13 levels.  In the text below, you say that it's a maximum of +11 Str and Con at 11th level.  I assume that you meant the latter (+13 Str and Con).

For Armored Assault, you specify proficiency with light and heavy shields.  Both kinds of shields fall under Shield Proficiency.  You should change it to "proficient with all shields (except tower shields)."

Also, does a Storm Giant with Titanic Stubbornness and the Blind-fight feat re-roll twice for miss chances?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 07:27:20 PM by Libertad »

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 05:07:45 PM »
Another satisfied customer!

Fixed typos, and yes if you have blind-fight you get double re-rolls for miss chances.

Offline DavidWL

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2012, 08:54:12 PM »
Storm Magic: At 3rd level, the Storm Giant can use Call Lighting and Levitate as a SLA each 1/hour

I believe this is supposed to be 10/hr (?)

Best,
David

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2012, 06:58:04 AM »
No, it's just suposed to be once per hour.

Offline DavidWL

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2012, 01:29:36 PM »

Then "Fast as Lighting" doesn't seem to do very much ... "You can also call the lightings ... including iteratives and Aoos".  I'd think you'd need to use it more than once per hour for this to be particularly meaningful?

Best,
David

EDIT:  MY bad.  ignore.   :blush
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 01:57:31 PM by DavidWL »

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2012, 01:33:54 PM »

Then "Fast as Lighting" doesn't seem to do very much ... "You can also call the lightings ... including iteratives and Aoos".  I'd think you'd need to use it more than once per hour for this to be particularly meaningful?

Best,
David

I suggest you read what the Call Lightning spell actually does.

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
  • "Insight is the sudden cessation of stupidity."
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2012, 01:00:56 AM »
Titan Storm Magic: ...

In addition, a Storm Giant who multiclasses into an arcane caster class can count his Storm Giant levels as levels of that class for purposes of CL/ML and for the purposes of learning new spells/powers and getting new spell slots/power points. However, he does not retroactively gain spell slots or new spells for caster levels he did not take, nor does he add his Storm Giant level to his character level for the purpose of class features, such as familiars.

If he chooses to be a sorceror, or a cleric picking from the Chaos, Good, Protection, or War domains, he can increase his CL by 1 for all Electricity spells. If he picked sorceror, he can also use  Con or Str scores, whichever are lower, instead of  his Cha score for spellcasting purposes.

So, if he classes into Cleric - taking the specified domains - he can increase his CL by 1 for [Electricity] spells, but he can't stack his Storm Giant levels, correct?  And if he classes into Sorcerer then he gets all of it.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2012, 07:35:31 PM »
That was a typo, he's suposed to stack with all kinds of casters, extra bonus for sorcerer.

Offline Yasahiro

• Lurker
  • I am new, but not unexperienced.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2018, 08:58:31 PM »
Question:

Armored Assault: As a Storm giant grows older, he learns that despite his tick hide and mighty fists, a good armor and a reach weapon are also good safety measures. At fifth level the Storm Giant gains proficiency with medium armor and all shields (except tower shields). He can wield a spear in just one hand whitout penalties, as long as he a shield on his other hand to counterbalance.

Spears aren't reach weapons though. Longspear are, though. Are you referring to those?
"If you can't slam with the best, then jam with the rest" - Charles Barkley

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2018, 04:59:54 AM »
Added longspear to the options, thanks.