Author Topic: OOC Discussion  (Read 153011 times)

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
Re: OOC Discussion
« Reply #80 on: July 15, 2012, 04:06:55 PM »
Are partially charged wands purchasable; if so, in what increments?

Yes, in increments of 10 charges.
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 15, 2012, 06:31:06 PM »
Out of curiosity, any crafting houserules?

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 15, 2012, 06:37:35 PM »

Pregame crafting comes out of WBL (1xp = 5gp).  That actually should be put in the houserules post, I'll do so.  Other than that, no... did you have anything in mind?

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 15, 2012, 06:40:27 PM »

Pregame crafting comes out of WBL (1xp = 5gp).  That actually should be put in the houserules post, I'll do so.  Other than that, no... did you have anything in mind?

Just contemplating making Spellshaping magical items, but don't really want to spend any xp so I'll probably skip it (depending on which affiliation I end up with probably).

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 15, 2012, 06:57:48 PM »
Can I just say, I'm kinda surprised no one's playing a Nullblade?  Maybe I'll try and recruit someone...

Offline skydragonknight

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 15, 2012, 07:46:43 PM »
Nullblade?
Hmm.

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 15, 2012, 07:48:50 PM »
Nullblade?

One of my homebrew classes.  It's in the approved list.

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 15, 2012, 07:49:55 PM »
Can I just say, I'm kinda surprised no one's playing a Nullblade?  Maybe I'll try and recruit someone...

I considered it, but found too many other fun combinations that I'd been itching to try out. I still don't get to try one build I'd like to play, but that one will have to wait until another game (it really works better at higher level anyway).

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 15, 2012, 07:51:45 PM »

I considered it, but found too many other fun combinations that I'd been itching to try out. I still don't get to try one build I'd like to play, but that one will have to wait until another game (it really works better at higher level anyway).

Oh, I'm not trying to push anyone towards it.  There are a bunch of amazing combos out there, and DonQ's spellshaping is quite rightly getting the attention it deserves (there's a reason I nominated it for Most Awesome Large-Format Homebrew in the minmax awards thread).  I'm just surprised no one's gone after it.

Offline TravelLog

• Gunslinger, Descendent of Eld
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 15, 2012, 08:06:02 PM »
I too considered it, then realized that as one of your classes, we would likely encounter one as an opponent. Dun dun dun... :plotting
Too much sanity may be madness and the maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be.
--Miguel de Cervantes

Offline skydragonknight

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 15, 2012, 08:20:44 PM »
In the face of campaigns like this, I prefer taking a balanced class and optimizing it to a 'custom fit' rather than using something that is at peak efficiency out of the box...I don't like 'easy mode'. Though given the setting, perhaps Sniper should have full BAB since I'm sure even the monks in this world have Full BAB...

I too considered it, then realized that as one of your classes, we would likely encounter one as an opponent. Dun dun dun... :plotting

Bring it. I have literally one tactic it can nullify, and that's completely non-essential. It can't nullify pew-pew-pew without a high AC. And high AC means nice treasure. :)
Hmm.

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 15, 2012, 08:22:08 PM »
In the face of campaigns like this, I prefer taking a balanced class and optimizing it to a 'custom fit' rather than using something that is at peak efficiency out of the box...I don't like 'easy mode'. Though given the setting, perhaps Sniper should have full BAB since I'm sure even the monks in this world have Full BAB...

Bring it. I have literally one tactic it can nullify, and that's completely non-essential. It can't nullify pew-pew-pew without a high AC. And high AC means nice treasure. :)

You don't think Nullblade is balanced?  I mean, it's certainly tier 3, but I'm not sure it's higher than that... it doesn't break the game, merely attempts to prevent other things from breaking the game.

Offline skydragonknight

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 15, 2012, 08:23:45 PM »
It's a blue player from MTG. With a sword.
Edit: It works in this setting pretty well though.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 08:27:38 PM by skydragonknight »
Hmm.

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 15, 2012, 08:29:51 PM »

:lmao  I should change the picture to this:

(click to show/hide)

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 16, 2012, 12:53:07 AM »

That actually was one of the things I meant to ask before. A Wand of Righteous Aura at CL7 is 420gp a charge and I wondered how many I'd need. For instance, being tournament based no more than one charge per arena day would have been needed given the 7 hour duration right? 10 Charges should work...

:lmao  I should change the picture to this:
I used a lot of Jace pictures for my Blue Mage class, love 'em.

Offline Sohala

• A hammer is all I need.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 16, 2012, 01:03:00 AM »
What is a focus going to run me?
"You think I'm talking about breaking the rules?"
"No I'm just trying to figure out how far you want them bent."

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 16, 2012, 08:42:34 AM »

I just looked through stuff, and apparently I didn't post this info anywhere, so I'll update the campaign info.  As part of your team being sponsored, anyone who wants to be licensed and given an arcane focus is granted temporary licensure for the purposes of the Games.  If you win, it's made permanent; if not, the license expires after a year and you have to apply for one normally.

That actually was one of the things I meant to ask before. A Wand of Righteous Aura at CL7 is 420gp a charge and I wondered how many I'd need. For instance, being tournament based no more than one charge per arena day would have been needed given the 7 hour duration right? 10 Charges should work...

Well... I would say that the assumption of an 8-hour adventuring day in something like this is a little naive.  Sure, there will be some days like that, but there will be others where you're going for longer or shorter.

However, funds likely won't be too big an issue, so you can always buy a new one if you run out.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 16, 2012, 10:06:54 AM »

I just looked through stuff, and apparently I didn't post this info anywhere, so I'll update the campaign info.  As part of your team being sponsored, anyone who wants to be licensed and given an arcane focus is granted temporary licensure for the purposes of the Games.  If you win, it's made permanent; if not, the license expires after a year and you have to apply for one normally.

What's the standard application process? From what I inferred from the campaign setting description and the descriptions of some of the affiliations (and then implicitly inferred in my suggestions about some of said affiliations), low-level unlicensed magic is pretty much the norm for new practitioners of the arcane arts, and the Magi look for those who excel at it, giving them licenses and trying to recruit them into the Magi. Mid-high level stuff (implicitly 3rd level and up through my suggestions, because it's just beyond what Precocious Apprentice gives) is the actual restricted stuff, partly because it's the lowest level at which the feedback is really dangerous and potentially fatal. Above that you probably have a license whether you want to or not, or you don't have a license because the Magi are subtly telling you that they don't want you casting spells. The actual licensing/focus process is probably more that the Magi find you than that you apply to the Magi. At least, that's the feel that I get from the incomplete information available.

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 16, 2012, 10:34:40 AM »
Oh, yes.  You are subtly (or not so subtly) encouraged to apply for a license.  If you're very unlucky, the person doing the encouraging is a member of the P.A.

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 16, 2012, 10:47:07 AM »
Hey Venn, have you ported your Dragon Shaman fix over from the old boards?  If so, I'd like to update my link.