Author Topic: OOC-discussion - three strikes you're IN!  (Read 39901 times)

Offline Xanzibard

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
Re: OOC-discussion - three strikes you're IN!
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2012, 07:03:16 PM »
my reasoning is that if a portal is right next to him we should be to stick a sword though it and hit him with it. otherwise we should be able to take a 5ft step though it. Aria get an extra standard action so that shouldn't be an issue. The issue is that Aria can't actually hurt him, probably, I'd have to look at the sheet; it's been a while.

Anyways, you decide on how the portal works; the text is on MM2p94

Offline brainpiercing

• Honorary Mod
  • Thread Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2012, 10:16:16 AM »
Well, normally a portal is 5-10ft in diameter, so only a maximum of two people can attack, unless they have reach. I guess you could get four people into FA range if you open the portal, attack, five-foot step diagonally, and the next guy moves to your spot.

Offline Thistledown

• Unseelie Fey
    • View Profile
    • Yo Mamma
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2012, 03:15:45 AM »
I admit it would be awesome-sauce if we DID pick that fight and win...but again we shouldn't just throw our lives away stupidly...the big issue is surviving the rest of the attacks from it's allies...though the slaves MIGHT deal with that if they suddenly attacked their captors...best way would be to plan it with them telepathically if that were possible.

Felgryn has high survivability in an uber AC, and can also pounce which means he is going to get off a lot of attacks that...combined with Magnar's abilities is going to do a crap ton of damage...Felgryn can likely one round the Balor...the question is what happens after that?

Edit:  Correction...I forgot Magnar isn't going to take Dragonfire Inspiration until level 12 (which means Felgryn has to be level 14), so I retract my prediction about one-rounding the Balor. +72d6+72 damage is awesome but we'll have to wait a bit for that...

Edit 2: With it's True Seeing won't the Balor be able to see us sneaking up from another plane?
Oh...and is that retaliation damage fire based?  Felgryn is vulnerable to fire until next level when he becomes immune.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 03:25:06 AM by Thistledown »

Offline Thistledown

• Unseelie Fey
    • View Profile
    • Yo Mamma
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2012, 03:16:40 AM »
Oh, and can Aria steal it's SLAs?

Offline mthor

• The inches ofmy penis are a countably infinite set
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2012, 02:27:52 PM »
I can bind zcyeryll and thus get access to a lot of summoned monsters... A gigantic centipede wouldn't be a fool proof method of keeping demons off our back but it  should give us at least a turn. Also the vistage that gives you a major image would be useful if the balor is downed. I'm confident that if we can one shot the balor then we have a chance..... but if not the balor's full attack and quickened telekinesis probably would do us in.

Balor's attack routine....
1. telekinesis high damage opponent into group of low level minions to be swarmed.
2. cut down squishy opponents.
3. profit?
good old dependable sexy

Offline brainpiercing

• Honorary Mod
  • Thread Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2012, 03:53:31 PM »
As I said, you probably can kill it, however, do understand that you'll be doing so at your own risk. Punches will not be pulled on my part. It is an aspect of this game world that it IS populated by things you're not supposed to be able to kill immediately. I won't attack you wilfully with opposition like that, and I won't disallow attacking them. However... :)

Offline mthor

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2012, 04:00:15 PM »
I can almost hear the maniacal laughter coming from the other side of BP's dm screen. Best not to tempt god, guys.
good old dependable sexy

Offline Thistledown

• Unseelie Fey
    • View Profile
    • Yo Mamma
« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2012, 04:48:30 PM »
Like I said, give me 3 more levels and I'll hose just about anything.

Offline brainpiercing

• Honorary Mod
  • Thread Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2012, 05:17:54 PM »
I can almost hear the maniacal laughter coming from the other side of BP's dm screen. Best not to tempt god, guys.
No, don't tempt a Balor. Actually I would find it remarkably cool if you could manage to pull off such a stunt, but I would love it even more if you could do it all without metagame knowledge of all the Balor's stats.

Anything that cares about HP damage...:D

Offline mthor

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2012, 03:05:49 AM »

Anything that cares about HP damage...:D

Shit.....
good old dependable sexy

Offline Thistledown

• Unseelie Fey
    • View Profile
    • Yo Mamma
« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2012, 06:06:50 AM »
how does one become immune to HP damage?

Offline brainpiercing

• Honorary Mod
  • Thread Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2012, 07:55:46 AM »
So this is the problem with glass cannons, meaning anyone who can do a lot more damage than they can take themselves. Eventually they get hard to challenge in their area of expertise.

Felgryn isn't very glassy for a glass cannon, but he is a pretty big cannon - or will be, in any case, which confirms my point. Actually he's not glassy at all, in fact he's pretty much a tank, and at present can still not one-round the balor "alone" (including Magnar), I'm pretty sure of that. As far as I can see you can't beat his DR, which means you'll be losing about 1/3rd of your damage.

Do you have a way of converting the DFI fire damage to anything but fire? Because as you may know, fire gets resisted sort of easily. Demons aren't really that resistance, but many other critters are.

@Thistle: you don't, of course. There are theoretical ways which I don't want to make use of. But I can tune encounters so that HP damage won't be a decisive factor :).

Offline Thistledown

• Unseelie Fey
    • View Profile
    • Yo Mamma
« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2012, 03:49:07 AM »
When Magnar gets DFI in 3 more levels it will be sonic damage, as befits his battle dragon ancestry. :)

I take pride in Felgryn being my most powerful character (note I don't play wizards, or haven't yet in 3.5) as well as the most complex.  Of course some of that complexity is due to homebrewed stuff or your house rules but still...most complicated build I've ever had the pleasure of pulling my hair out over.  Getting the prereqs on all those dips was a nightmare to put in the right order...
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 03:51:28 AM by Thistledown »

Offline Thistledown

• Unseelie Fey
    • View Profile
    • Yo Mamma
« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2012, 04:44:59 AM »
As a heads up I'm leaving in the morning for a business trip and will be back in a week..won't be able to post during that time.

Offline brainpiercing

• Honorary Mod
  • Thread Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 09, 2012, 05:20:04 AM »
Alright, it's been going a little slowly again, anyway, lately, in spite of my efforts to keep things moving. I'm going to try to point you in some definite directions now, since I feel that the giant sandbox were sitting in (*wink**nudge*,etc  :rolleyes) leaves some motivational problems. D&D just doesn't do these things very well.

Also, for the future, my plan is the following: The current story arc will be complete "soon", and then there will probably be a larger gap in time which is spanned off-screen. You can think about what your PCs will be doing in that interval, but don't be too definite, yet, since you might get some IC knowledge to change your plans.

Offline brainpiercing

• Honorary Mod
  • Thread Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2012, 07:13:11 AM »
Last night I had the feeling that this game has unfortunately turned into a wreck. The problems are numerous, most are my fault:

- A sandbox needs mechanics to feel tangible
- An investigation mission needs hint and pointer mechanics
- I'm bringing in deprotagonisers, but only just now

The reasons for all these problems are mostly laziness.

So, in order to put some new oomph into the game I'm going to be making some additions: An interactive "world" map, for instance, which, because I can't code or do other worthwhile things, will be an excel spreadsheet (or maybe I'll port to Openoffice), with the map as the backgroun image.

That way, you'll be able to tell me where you want to go, and also place stuff on the map.

Secondly, with that in place, we can now go clue-hunting without operating in a vacuum.

Thirdly, I'm still working on that.

Offline McPoyo

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2012, 08:13:35 AM »
Obsidian portal allows you to upload a map and have people tag places. It's based on the googlemaps architecture.

Offline brainpiercing

• Honorary Mod
  • Thread Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 21, 2012, 09:39:01 AM »
That sounds great, I'll look right away. I'm frustrated with excel.

Offline brainpiercing

• Honorary Mod
  • Thread Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 21, 2012, 10:34:50 AM »
Hmm, maximum zoom seems disappointing, and it's not useful for measuring distances, as far as I can tell. Well, it's better than nothing, anyway. I had hoped I could somehow overlay a grid map on that  map image from the old FR-Atlas program.

Offline Thistledown

• Unseelie Fey
    • View Profile
    • Yo Mamma
« Reply #59 on: February 21, 2012, 10:55:08 PM »
I'm back!