Author Topic: Homebrew Optimization Contest -- Brainstorm thread  (Read 25656 times)

Offline Noliar

• Not a very nice elf
    • View Profile
Re: Homebrew Optimization Contest -- Brainstorm thread
« Reply #60 on: December 28, 2011, 11:35:40 AM »
The only issue I have with 5 gp to 1 xp conversion is that normal item crafting is actually 12.5 gp saved per 1 xp spent. But that's just settling on the numbers.

Hmm.

1 exp = 5gp
  • is like wish (5K exp or 25K gold)
  • favors spending exp, since it is cheap ... encourages crafting, etc.

12.5gp = 1 exp
  • is like crafting
  • favors not spending, since it is more expensive ... no benefit to crafting

I don't really care either way.

Best,
David

5gp is the going rate for 1xp
12.5gp is the going rate for 1xp plus 7.5gp for the crafter's time and expertise spending that 1xp on your behalf.

Now WBL is a snapshot of the resources available to a character at a particular moment in time. We don't care what happened in the past if it has no ongoing effect - potions drunk two dungeons ago don't matter, the fact that a level was lost and then regained is just history. But if you have a magic item at the moment WBL is determined then it is a current resource and it's nominal market value must be paid for. Normally this would be by counting the full market value against the WBL limit but if the player has spent build resources in the form of the feats and spells needed to craft the item themselves that pays for relegating the time and expertise part of the market value (7.5gp/ 25gp) to history. Likewise, if the PC has permanent spells or inherent bonuses or the benefits of some past ritual when we assess them those are current resources even though there is no tradable object to point at permanent spells have NPC casting costs but if the PC has permanency known then the opportunity cost of having that spell rather than another is enough to reduce the cost to that of the xp.

Offline DavidWL

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 29, 2011, 05:50:57 AM »
I'm fine with that - I really don't feel that strongly either way  :)

Best,
David

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 31, 2011, 12:54:24 PM »
I'm working on the contest post.  I know I and littha will be judging, while DavidWL and oslecamo expressed interest in entering.  Is there a third volunteer to be a judge?
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline EjoThims

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • The Ferret
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 31, 2011, 02:48:38 PM »
Depending on the timeframe involved I would possibly be interested in joining, but whether or not I was actually able to field a competent entry would entirely depend on how stressing work ended up being over that time.

Offline Garryl

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 31, 2011, 04:38:11 PM »
I'm working on the contest post.  I know I and littha will be judging, while DavidWL and oslecamo expressed interest in entering.  Is there a third volunteer to be a judge?

I'm happy to help.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 31, 2011, 05:05:01 PM »
Im in school the next few weeks i nthe hopes of getting a job as a tax preparer.  It might be good for me to set this contest out.

Also I wont be paid till mid january so there's a chance my isp will cut me off...

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 31, 2011, 07:15:35 PM »
OK guys, here's a draft of the contest. Feedback, please?

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 31, 2011, 07:15:42 PM »

PRESENTS

Welcome to the inaugural Homebrew Optimization Contest (brought to you by AD HOCC, the Auspicious Day Homebrew Optimization Contest Committee).  Since this is the first incarnation, there will almost certainly be speedbumps and confusion, so be sure to ask if you have questions, and also check back here for clarifications/changes.  Thanks, and enjoy!

--sirpercival

The voters have spoken, and our first piece of homebrew to be optimized was written by oslecamo (click for the class info):

THE RULES

Build Guidelines:
  • 20 levels.  You may use any number of Plain Scholar levels, but the more levels of Plain Scholar, the more points. In any case, the class must be the central part of the build.
  • 32 pb, normal WBL, 2 flaws, 1 trait.
  • LA buyoff and pre-game crafting are allowed, including the MIC rules for combining items to conserve slots.  We are using the 1xp --> 5gp conversion, so xp spent in the past that is providing a current benefit counts against WBL. Thus, self-crafted magic items cost 50% market price + 20% market price for the xp. XP from an artificer's own craft reserve don't count against WBL.  Note that the point of this contest is NOT to show off how good you are at stacking templates and crafting custom items.  Please focus on the homebrew.
  • Retraining, rebuilding, and PsyRef (with xp payoff as above) are allowed ONLY to improve viability at multiple levels.  In addition, retraining maneuvers is NOT allowed beyond that granted by the class itself.  DCFS is not allowed.
  • No infinite loops or other TO material, please.  If you're not sure, ask, or err on the side of caution.  Try to stick to builds that would be allowed by a lenient, optimization-friendly, but not stupid DM.

Allowed Content:
  • Homebrew -- The class in question, as well as supporting material by the author.  No other homebrew is allowed.  In addition, there will be no edits to the Plain Scholar once the competition starts; the homebrew content is reposted below.
  • Other content -- Anything published by WotC is allowed.  No Dragon mag, or non-WotC "official" content like spelljammer or athas.

Entry Guidelines: (please include the following)
  • Build + Feats + Manuevers
  • Any important skills, equipment or spells (but you don't need to list everything!)
  • A few comments about how the build addresses each point of the judging criteria
  • How the Plain Scholar class works with the build (if it isn't obvious)
  • Viability of the build at different levels
  • What are the key abilities? What makes it cool and different from other probable builds?
  • Feedback on the Plain Scholar, including an explanation/justification of build choices (to give the author an idea of why things work together or don't)

JUDGING CRITERIA

This contest will be judged by sirpercival, littha, and Garryl, with sirpercival the chairman.

• Plain Scholar & Plain History are a large and substantial part of build.  More points to creative use of the class & maneuvers.
  • Optimization of material.  This will be in comparison to the starting point (for example, a highly-optimized tripper build would score higher than an average wizard build).
  • Viability of build.  More points will be awarded for viability at more levels, especially early.  Thus, it's important to discuss strategies and viability at as many levels as possible.

LOGISTICS

This thread will be for questions and discussion of the contest itself.  There will be an additional thread for discussion, feedback, and clarifications with oslecamo about the Plain Scholar.

The contest will close in 3 weeks, on 1/22/2012.  When your build is ready, pm it to one of the judges, and it will be posted once the contest closes (to prevent cherry-picking of ideas).

Offline Prime32

• Over-Underling
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 31, 2011, 07:46:02 PM »
Needs more emphasis on the entry method, so no one overlooks it and posts directly in the thread.

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 31, 2011, 07:52:44 PM »
Good point.  I'll move logistics in front of the rules.

EDIT: I also forgot I thought of a better AD ("Ars Draconis").  I'll fix that too.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 07:54:16 PM by sirpercival »

Offline Childe

• Honorary Mod
  • Even forever must end, I think. ...
    • View Profile
    • Legend RPG, Rule of Cool Gaming
« Reply #70 on: December 31, 2011, 07:54:16 PM »
Agreed about submission being clear and prominent.

Overall, it looks good. For the judging, if there are more than just a few submissions, it might be neat to break down the results for the top 3 or so with the judge's scores for each category and comments from the judges.

Additionally, and this is purely stylistic, I think AD HOCC would look better if you made it on a transparent background rather than the blue rectangle (which stands out oddly against the forum skin). Maybe change "1xp --> 5gp" to 1xp:5gp or use a special character for the arrow, but that's minor.
"You had a tough day at the office. So you come home, make
yourself some dinner, smother your kids, pop in a movie, maybe
have a drink. It's fun, right? Wrong. Don't smother your kids."
- The More You Know

Offline DavidWL

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 31, 2011, 09:12:41 PM »
Overall, it looks good. For the judging, if there are more than just a few submissions, it might be neat to break down the results for the top 3 or so with the judge's scores for each category and comments from the judges.

I agree.  If each judge gives each criteria a score from 1 - 10 (or some such), then the build with the highest total wins.  (with scores from 3-30, and a total from 9 - 90).  It'd be interesting to see how each build fares on each dimension.

Best,
David

P.S.  Cool graphic :)

Offline TravelLog

• Gunslinger, Descendent of Eld
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 01, 2012, 01:33:32 AM »
Might I recommend a creativity/originality category for using classes/feats/races in unusual and effective way?

Otherwise looks great.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 01:35:29 AM by TravelLog »
Too much sanity may be madness and the maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be.
--Miguel de Cervantes

Offline DavidWL

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 01, 2012, 01:34:59 AM »
Might I recommend a creativity/originality category for using classes/feats/races in unusual and edfective way?

+1

:)

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 01, 2012, 07:35:24 AM »
I thought I had covered that in the first category... though I guess that does say just creativity in use of homebrew.  OK, I'll add one.

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 01, 2012, 07:50:44 AM »
Contest is being posted.  We have three weeks to decide on a prize.  :)