Author Topic: Videogame Discussion III - Snake Eater  (Read 236825 times)

Offline Kethrian

• Legendary Member
  • Night Owl
    • View Profile
Re: Videogame Discussion III - Snake Eater
« Reply #820 on: August 08, 2018, 04:54:17 PM »
What do I win?
An awesome-five for mentioning Penny Arcade's On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #821 on: August 11, 2018, 11:04:06 PM »

Hail to the king(s) baby!

(click to show/hide)

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: August 28, 2018, 01:22:25 AM »

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
  • No obstacle too great for the FLAMES IN MY HEART!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: August 28, 2018, 11:44:41 AM »
Streets of Rage 4 announced!!!!

I love how Axel got a beard as a sign of him getting older and Blaze simply got hotter.
Kami darou ga akuma darou ga, ore no michi ni tateru mono NASHI!!

Give me internets. Now.

Offline SolEiji

• Epic Member
  • I am 120% Eiji.
    • View Profile
    • D&D Wiki.org, not .com
« Reply #824 on: September 13, 2018, 08:52:11 PM »
Isabella confirmed for smash.  Curiously, not as an echo.  Hype is mild, but I'm glad she is in.  What really gets my goat is that this is following the predictions of a certain leaker.  A certain leaker that called Dante in November.

I am feeling motivated!
Mudada.

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
  • Trapped on another Earth that isn't home
    • View Profile
« Reply #825 on: September 13, 2018, 11:00:57 PM »
I got the SNES classic a couple of weeks ago and so far i'm only in fourside at the department store and Paula and a teddy bear just got kidnapped

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: September 13, 2018, 11:01:48 PM »
I got the SNES classic a couple of weeks ago and so far i'm only in fourside at the department store and Paula and a teddy bear just got kidnapped
...dafuq?

Give me internets. Now.

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: September 13, 2018, 11:02:36 PM »
...dafuq?

Earthbound..do you even game bro?

Offline SolEiji

• Epic Member
  • I am 120% Eiji.
    • View Profile
    • D&D Wiki.org, not .com
« Reply #828 on: September 13, 2018, 11:08:20 PM »
...dafuq?

I will now kidnap your teddy bear.  If you want to see it again, come to Moonside and bring me a shiny trophy and a Franklin Badge.

I will be the small round alien wearing all blue.
Mudada.

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: September 13, 2018, 11:12:25 PM »
...dafuq?

I will now kidnap your teddy bear.  If you want to see it again, come to Moonside and bring me a shiny trophy and a Franklin Badge.

I will be the small round alien wearing all blue.

:shakefist

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #830 on: September 13, 2018, 11:23:58 PM »
So, i played Call of Duty Black Ops III for the first time today on the PS4. Only multiplayer, playing 1x1 with a friend of mine who's also new, but already played a fair bit.

Won first map, lost second map.

First map, none of us knew very well.

Second map, he knew it very well, i did not.

I always resisted playing with a controller, because i played FPS's from a very young age, and i've always played them with a keyboard and mouse, and i'll be damned if there's any better configuration for play. Mouse gives you an unbelievable reaction time transfer from what you're seeing to your movements, and controller cannot replicate that.

I felt the controller clunky and underequipped for the task of playing a first person shooter. Perhaps tweaking a bit with sensitivity might help some situations, but i feel it also would make aiming a pain in others. You simply cannot have as fine a control with a controller that you can with a computer.

Furthermore, i felt as if the use of both hands for controlling aiming and firing is clunky. Use your left hand for aiming down sights, your right hand for shooting, but also use your left hand for walking and your right hand for moving the reticle. It's a brain scramble if i've ever seen one.

I guess one could accustom, but i still think keyboard and mouse are vastly superior, and the only option if the aim is competitive play.

Still, it wasn't as bad as i've thought it would be. I still had fun, the banter was great, i managed the enjoyment of beating someone who has much more experience on console FPS in general, lost the second match but still got close scores.

What this tells me?

Tactics and experience matter.

There was this one situation that had my friend baffled. He was hiding on a sniper perch in "Redwood" and i threw in a grenade from a blindspot. I knew he'd see the grenade and back off, so i moved across the danger zone, then threw a concussion grenade. I knew that would hit him at least a bit, and he'd probably think i'd still be in the same first blind spot as he had not seen me move from the first blind spot, so i used my stealthy character to sneak up on him and nab the kill.

My suspicions were confirmed when he voiced his objections over voice chat: "HOW THE HELL DID YOU DO THAT?!"

And i explained all of the above to him. Even though i didn't know that game, and i was unfamiliar with the controls and the platform, my general knowledge of FPS was enough to at least close the gap enough so that the game wasn't a complete one-sided battle.

My take from all this is:

Knowledge from a genre is valuable. I may have lost the second round, but i know that in the rematch tomorrow i'll stand a better chance. In this way, i think, genre knowledge is like an experience multiplier. If you know a genre well enough, even though the platform and gameplay are at the beggining unfamiliar to you, you'll pick it up much faster than someone that has never seen that in action.

Even if theoretically you're starting from the same place, in reality the more experienced player has a higher skill ceiling, and a faster rate of learning the skills required.

So that was a fun experience.
"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: September 13, 2018, 11:53:56 PM »

I always resisted playing with a controller, because i played FPS's from a very young age, and i've always played them with a keyboard and mouse, and i'll be damned if there's any better configuration for play. Mouse gives you an unbelievable reaction time transfer from what you're seeing to your movements, and controller cannot replicate that.

I felt the controller clunky and underequipped for the task of playing a first person shooter. Perhaps tweaking a bit with sensitivity might help some situations, but i feel it also would make aiming a pain in others. You simply cannot have as fine a control with a controller that you can with a computer.

Furthermore, i felt as if the use of both hands for controlling aiming and firing is clunky. Use your left hand for aiming down sights, your right hand for shooting, but also use your left hand for walking and your right hand for moving the reticle. It's a brain scramble if i've ever seen one.

I guess one could accustom, but i still think keyboard and mouse are vastly superior, and the only option if the aim is competitive play.

There's only a couple of FPS that I don't use a controller for : Counter-strike source and half-life 2, I grew up only playing HL on the computer same with CS,all my other FPS experience has been on the console and even on those two, I don't use the standard aswd set up but instead use the arrow keys so that my hands are close to each other.

It does however take me some time to get "in the zone" while playing online..I'm going to reup my xbox live sub next month now that Modern Warfare 2 is backwards compatible.

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #832 on: September 15, 2018, 01:35:35 AM »

There's only a couple of FPS that I don't use a controller for : Counter-strike source and half-life 2, I grew up only playing HL on the computer same with CS,all my other FPS experience has been on the console and even on those two, I don't use the standard aswd set up but instead use the arrow keys so that my hands are close to each other.

It does however take me some time to get "in the zone" while playing online..I'm going to reup my xbox live sub next month now that Modern Warfare 2 is backwards compatible.

:??? :??? :??? :???

but... but...

The arrow keys...

So old school! How do you handle fast equip switch? grenade throws on mouse buttons? I must know, all the bindings must be completely different, otherwise how you fast crawl into a walk and a strafe quick peek with an AWP?
"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: September 15, 2018, 11:55:42 AM »

:??? :??? :??? :???

but... but...

The arrow keys...

So old school! How do you handle fast equip switch? grenade throws on mouse buttons? I must know, all the bindings must be completely different, otherwise how you fast crawl into a walk and a strafe quick peek with an AWP?

Let's see if I can recall what bindings I used..

Forward was Up, back was down, strafe left is left arrow, strafe right is right arrow, I never used the AWP....using an item was the enter key, jump was either shift or ctrl, and duck was whatever wasn't jump. God, I haven't played CS:S in a while........Steam says I haven't played since 05..but I'm pretty sure that's wrong.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: September 29, 2018, 04:44:07 AM »
So in the most recent Nintendo Direct revealed the super crown item that allowed Toadette to turn into Peachette, aka mushroom Peach.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Kethrian

• Legendary Member
  • Night Owl
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: September 29, 2018, 04:47:59 AM »
And then there's Princess Boo that's quickly becoming just as popular, as well as Peach-ified versions of Chain Chomp, Yoshi, and more.
What do I win?
An awesome-five for mentioning Penny Arcade's On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: September 29, 2018, 05:24:18 AM »
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: September 29, 2018, 05:25:02 AM »
That actually took a while for you to post about.

Give me internets. Now.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: September 29, 2018, 05:27:53 AM »
Those PbP campaigns won't update themselves. :P

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: September 29, 2018, 10:07:02 AM »
So in the most recent Nintendo Direct revealed the super crown item that allowed Toadette to turn into Peachette, aka mushroom Peach.

Then one artist wondered what would happen if Bowser took that crown
Then a bunch of people copied the guy who wondered what would happen if Bowser took that crown
fify and fyi Ayyk92 created the original. Then a guy named VideoCoin changed her hair to red and then some annon on 4chan respun her as being dark skinned which is the version Tumblr ran with (of course). Japan's Mangakie (sp, w/e they named their manga artists) have gotten on it too and let's just say.
(click to show/hide)