Author Topic: Dark Souls  (Read 21784 times)

Offline Risada

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Souls
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2016, 01:07:48 PM »
I'm enjoying three so far.

Got mine yesterday. Will play it seriously tomorrow.

A pity magic was nerfed beyond usage. Only pyromancy can hold its own mid-late game.

But this will not stand between me and the Moonlight Greatsword. Those weapon arts are nice.

Magic is a coward's choice. :p

And now I go back to dying repeatedly and wondering why I get summoned as a Blue Sentinel so fucking much. xD

Magic Weapon, Crystal Magic Weapon and such are not so cowardly.

I miss my Profound Still and Tranquil Walk of Peace...

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2016, 09:44:29 PM »
THERE, BEAT THE NAMELESS KING. GOOD.

Would probably have gone quicker if I didn't start taking ten minute breaks between attempts because phase one was getting so damn boring. >_>;

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2016, 08:17:33 PM »
Poise doesn't work. Like, it's not broken in any significant way.

It's just implemented fully into the game, displayed on stat screens, has effects and items that buff it... and they turned it off. For players, not enemies.

What the fuck was the point?

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
  • No obstacle too great for the FLAMES IN MY HEART!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2016, 12:03:35 PM »
Maybe it's just bugged? Wouldn't be the first time.

Also, what are you testing it on?
Kami darou ga akuma darou ga, ore no michi ni tateru mono NASHI!!

Give me internets. Now.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2016, 12:16:02 PM »
If this is simply bugged, I'm an aubergine. Plus it explains how the hell things like the Lothric Knights get to shrug off attacks without relying on hyper-armour, because they still have poise.

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2016, 10:03:52 AM »
If this is simply bugged, I'm an aubergine. Plus it explains how the hell things like the Lothric Knights get to shrug off attacks without relying on hyper-armour, because they still have poise.

Fair point.

Although the game seems to have gained an awful lot of attacks made especifically to break turtle shielding. (Granted, a lot of them are weapon arts and the rest seem to be tied to really heavy weapons...)

Give me internets. Now.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2016, 11:23:05 AM »
I know rolling and parrying are important, but surely there's a point when the game's still Dark Souls (and not Demon Souls or Bloodborne) that you should at least make tanks possible?

Offline Nunkuruji

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I shall bring great terror
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2016, 02:28:03 PM »
They've never really gotten poise quite right

DeS - just hyper armor frames on some heavy weapon attacks
DS1 - poise lead to walk through attacks to backstab abuse
DS2 - The existence of the stone ring, and some fast weapons with absurd poise damage for their class such as warped sword and broken thief sword making poise worthless. The slow/weird hidden regen poise bar.
BB - back to just hyper armor frames on some trick weapon attacks
DS3 - the current mess

The best thing DS2 did was at least slow down your movement if you poised an attack, so one could not abuse it for a backstab as per DS1. That's probably all they needed to do to fix the legacy DS1 poise system.

The only thing one should count on is that the release code has a ton of bugs and fuck ups, and patches bring much better order. That's been the standing history of Souls.

Hell, they even brought back the weird facing vector you get when using the Force spell, that they had actually fixed and made physics sense in DS2.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2016, 02:40:00 PM »
This would be far less aggravating if enemies didn't still get to poise. Which naturally end up being the enemies with the biggest variety of attacks.

Though Poise might or might not affect stagger times (how completely minor for a stat with a numerical scale)

Offline Nunkuruji

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2016, 04:00:31 PM »
The stagger time is being debated, no one has put up any hard analysis for frames that I'm aware of, just anecdotes.

NPC enemies poising or hypering through attacks is damn aggravating, which is why I simply counter by using longer reach weapons. It's always been a pretty solid strategy.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2016, 05:18:16 PM »
The stagger time is being debated, no one has put up any hard analysis for frames that I'm aware of, just anecdotes.

Yeah, I've been reading the same thread. :P

NPC enemies poising or hypering through attacks is damn aggravating, which is why I simply counter by using longer reach weapons. It's always been a pretty solid strategy.

Except even that's an utter pain with Lothric Spear Knights. Were they trying to design the most versatile, annoyingly hazardous enemy they could?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 05:20:49 PM by Raineh Daze »

Offline Nunkuruji

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2016, 10:34:31 AM »

Except even that's an utter pain with Lothric Spear Knights. Were they trying to design the most versatile, annoyingly hazardous enemy they could?

Yes, I'm sure they were. For those, I usually try to block approach and kick them while they're blocking, though sometimes they get aggressive into an unfavorable trade. Other times I'll just 2-hand and mash until they guard break.

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2016, 11:20:45 AM »

Yes, I'm sure they were. For those, I usually try to block approach and kick them while they're blocking, though sometimes they get aggressive into an unfavorable trade. Other times I'll just 2-hand and mash until they guard break.

I've found with the Lothric Spear Knights that it gets surprisingly easy to find a window to backstab them if you block-approach and stay JUST out of the reach of their shield bash. The second he rears his arm back, start moving forward to the side of his shield. He will always whiff and always stab a second time.

They also have surprisingly low poise against thrusts. So if you manage to get one hit in with their guards open, you can just mash through and poke them to death.

The red-eyed knights are still a pain though, because they're pretty relentless, very little breathing room in between combos and such.

Of course, that analysis only came to being after I started farming them for souls...

Give me internets. Now.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2016, 11:31:16 AM »
I got fed up whilst farming titanite and started alternately stabbing things repeatedly with a halberd until they died, or parrying.

... I find it absurd you can parry the saw guys in Undead Settlement, but that's possible. @_@

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2016, 12:11:15 PM »
Yeah, I think parry is the new pre-patch 1.01 Lightning Spear.  :P

Too bad the Shield of Want uses Weapon Skill instead...

Give me internets. Now.

Offline Nunkuruji

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2016, 01:30:23 PM »
As for parrying...

The return of the Hornet Ring is facepalm, ESPECIALLY with the broken ass fact that parrying is now a 360 degree bubble. 1-shot off a parry is stupid (PvP).
DS2 of course was broken as hell at launch with the banana sword parry and mundane dagger riposte 1-shotting. At least in that case it got patch nerfed.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2016, 01:45:11 PM »
The effect's horrific, but I'm kind of glad to see the ring show up when they're trotting out the other four knights' rings. DSII was weird, having the Leo Ring and Hawk Ring but neither of the other two.

Offline Nunkuruji

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2016, 02:09:23 PM »
I'm not a fan of the Leo Ring either. Adding that damage modifier to the most basic bitch R1 mash fiesta is just a slap in the face. Right Eye goes in that same box of crap. At least the Bloodring was done right.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2016, 02:26:52 PM »
The most fun I've had with the right eye is in PvE with the Farron Greatsword. Combined it with the Left Eye for co-op in the Cathedral of the Deep. It makes the Deacons even more of a cakewalk than simply having summoned someone to help. :lmao

I think their problems are more to do with having no earthly reason to not R1-mash except for fearing parries than intrinsic problems with the rings themselves.

I've bee wondering if it's actually possible, with a spear or something (I guess rapiers etc. might be in a similar boat) to take out the Cursed Greatwood without spending an annoying length of time failing to hit its second-phase hitboxes. >_>

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2016, 10:01:01 PM »
*rocking a Dragonslayer's Greataxe +5 in spite of usually disdaining heavy weapons*
*massacres his way through all the early game bosses that frustrated him so much with L2 attack*

WEAPON ARTS ARE USELESS THEY SAID

WASTE OF FP THEY SAID

EAT LIGHTNING EXPLOSION, BITCHES!

Give me internets. Now.