Author Topic: Coastal Troubles (IC Thread)  (Read 38696 times)

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
Re: Coastal Troubles (IC Thread)
« Reply #100 on: March 18, 2018, 09:22:42 AM »
After his last blast hits the wolf he climbs off his mount and about five minutes later he is ready to hit the trail again with dinner strapped to his horses back. As Enar slows down wanting to make camp, "If we're stopping we'll need a fire to keep the rest of the animals away."

Presumably if they stop Teferi borrows one of his paladin friend's supplies to roast some wolf meat (having volunteered to carry other supplies 'just in case') before hanging the rest bear-bag style to keep all but intelligent creatures from getting to it. And hopefully those enough smart enough to also realizes an armed camp dining on deadly beasts isn't easy pickings.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 30, 2018, 09:43:45 PM »
The night passes uneventfully and the first morning since you left Phlan dawns very windy and drizzling.  A couple of hours after setting out you arrive at the ferry landing.  The sea churns with Umberlee's wrath and an elderly man with a wild beard, salt encrusted coat, and floppy hat struggles to bring a large flat bottomed raft to shore.  He pulls arm-over-arm along a rope, which is strung between the shore and a small island an arrowshot into the bay

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #102 on: April 03, 2018, 09:41:46 PM »
Enar approaches and dismounts her mount next to the struggling granpa:

Greetings good man. You look to be in trouble, may I help?

If Enar sees no sign of denial she'll get to helping pull the raft to the shore.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 04, 2018, 11:16:47 PM »
The old man ignores Enar and pulls the ferry up to the landing before she can figure out a way to properly help him. 

"What do you want," he grumbles at the group.  "There's nothing to see on the island and no reason to visit the village.  Go somewhere else for your entertainment."

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 05, 2018, 12:23:56 AM »
Enar suddenly realizes that there will be no easy way to evacuate the island even if they managed to persuade them quickly, but one problem at a time. Putting her serious diplomatic face on, she calmly explains herself:

I wish there was no reason to bother you, but there have been a series of attacks along the coast over the recent days from an unknown force. Several coastal villages have already been razed to the ground with only one confirmed survivor found. And this place, Stormy By, should be the next to fall under attack by the pattern we've observed.  From what we've gathered so far the undead are behind this wave of death and destruction, and we have come here to warn and assist you in protecting your lives as good as we can. Letting us use the ferry to reach the island so that we may speak with the leader of Stormy By would be a good start.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 08, 2018, 04:06:16 PM »
He looks at you with one squinting eye, the other unnaturally bulging.  He clenches a battered pipe between his teeth, making it hard to understand his angry mumbled speech.

"You wannna come to the island, one gold a head.  Animals are a silver."  He spits over the side of the ferry.  "If you insist on coming to the island ya'll be stayin until the storm passes.  I won't risk another trip until the seas calm down."

He pauses, then shakes his head disgustedly.  "You outsides and ya single leaders.  Us elders make decisions for the town.  You wanna come, you gonna pay."

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 08, 2018, 06:21:59 PM »
"Eleven silver for each of us? It could be mighty dangerous if the raft were to be shaken in this coming storm and all that metal were to drag you to the bottom" Teferi says trying to negotiate the price lower.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 08, 2018, 10:28:02 PM »
"Warsh ain't afraid of washin away," he says and chuckles at his own wit.  "I'll take a good blade or some good food and spirits if you got any.  I said good, nothin homemade mind."

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 10, 2018, 05:29:38 AM »
Enar was pretty sure she could easily knock out this old man, commandeer the ferry and steer it herself, but that's not how she did things. Instead she takes out her purse, counts four gold pieces and four silver coins and hands them to the ferryman over the open palm of her gauntlet:

We have no time to haggle, so here is your agreed payment. Now do your job.

She then takes her horse into the ferry without waiting a reply, making it pretty clear the party's gonna cross one way or the other.

Offline Archon

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 11, 2018, 12:40:35 AM »
Aval gets on the ferry, quite happy that someone else has payed for his passage.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 13, 2018, 02:25:40 PM »
Teferi climbs on the ferry too retorting "Well, you can only hope the karmic gods haven't encouraged those 'Draco Eyes' murder your entire family while you're out here trying to swindle extra fees out of the very people sent to investigate the rumors."

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 14, 2018, 08:29:20 PM »
Warsh accepts the money and once everyone is on starts moving the ferry to the other side.

"The fee is the fee, why would I swindle ya'll?  Nobody asked you to come, most outsides don't even know we're here and that's how we likes it."

"Draco Eyes?  We got some sailor ravin about the "eyes of the dracolich" or some such nonsense.  Looks to me like he saw somethin he couldn't handle and his mind just flew away.  You gonna take him away?

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 16, 2018, 04:53:16 AM »

You are more correct than you think in guessing he saw something that his sanity could not handle, since this is not the first case like this we've met.

Those eyes of the dracolich, they are coming to this island tonight, and we are here to prevent you all end up like this poor sailor. Or worst.

You mentioned you are part of the ruling elder council. What would we need to do in order to gather all of the village's elders together so we can work together to prepare this village for the incoming danger? Since evacuation does not seem to be a possibilty with this weather, when night arrives every able bodied adult from Stormy By should be prepared to defend this island and everybody that cannot fight should be barricated inside their homes.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 16, 2018, 07:38:26 PM »
"You want to talk to people you go to the people.  We don't have no meeting house, and the crones don't leave the fire pit."

As the ferry approaches the island he says distrustfully, "You go say what you want, when we land I'm gettin' ready for the storm."

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 16, 2018, 11:33:47 PM »

Before that, could you just point us to the firepit? If the crones are all in one place I believe it's best our group will talk to them first.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 21, 2018, 08:58:58 PM »
"You really think it's going to be hard to find some old ladies by a firepit...?"

Offline Archon

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 21, 2018, 10:31:03 PM »
"But why go the trouble wandering around aimlessly, when the kind sir could give us directions?"

On Leaving the ferry:

"Best of luck dealing with the storm"

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 22, 2018, 02:59:47 PM »
Teferi simply surveys the area.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 22, 2018, 07:37:22 PM »
As the ferry docks at the landing, Warsh points up a hill.  "That way."

Warsh then starts to tie the ferry raft down securely, keeping one eye on the sea.  Enar with her background as a sailor can see that all of his talk of a storm wasn't a put on, the waves are rising.

Trees block the view of the village from the landing, so your first sight of it comes as you climb the wooded hill.  It is underwhelming, little more than a collection of hovels, a barn, and a large centrally located fire pit.  Dirty faces and wide eyes stare at you as you exit the rain soaked tree line, before turning away.  A grinning girl with wild dirty hair and a pock-marked face runs up to you with obvious excitement.

"Who might ye be, Outsides?"

Offline Archon

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 23, 2018, 12:04:31 AM »
"Hallo! We are here to talk to the elders of this village on a matter of some import. Could you please show us around"

Aval will also give the small child a piece of candy, if you will allow that he has such amongst his provisions.