Author Topic: Videogame Discussion III - Snake Eater  (Read 236760 times)

Offline Kethrian

• Legendary Member
  • Night Owl
    • View Profile
Re: Videogame Discussion III - Snake Eater
« Reply #880 on: March 15, 2019, 02:33:57 AM »
Are you fully caught up on the lore for KH3 and/or DMC 5?  If yes, those are good to go with.  If not, watch vids on youtube (I recommend Barry's KH3 primer or SBF LPs of the DMC games).
What do I win?
An awesome-five for mentioning Penny Arcade's On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness.

Offline SolEiji

• Epic Member
  • I am 120% Eiji.
    • View Profile
    • D&D Wiki.org, not .com
« Reply #881 on: March 15, 2019, 02:40:19 AM »
Are you fully caught up on the lore for KH3 and/or DMC 5?  If yes, those are good to go with.  If not, watch vids on youtube (I recommend Barry's KH3 primer or SBF LPs of the DMC games).

DMC5 of course.

KH3 Lore.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
There is no hope attempting it.  I don't expect to understand it beyond hearts and darkness, darkness and hearts.  I'm here for the gameplay.
Mudada.

Offline Kethrian

• Legendary Member
  • Night Owl
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: March 15, 2019, 02:47:57 AM »
Barry's "A Good Enough Summary of Kingdom Hearts"

I'm sure, even if you can't really follow it, you will at the very least be entertained.
What do I win?
An awesome-five for mentioning Penny Arcade's On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness.

Offline SolEiji

• Epic Member
  • I am 120% Eiji.
    • View Profile
    • D&D Wiki.org, not .com
« Reply #883 on: March 15, 2019, 03:33:24 AM »
Barry's "A Good Enough Summary of Kingdom Hearts"

I'm sure, even if you can't really follow it, you will at the very least be entertained.

It's too late Kethrian.  I am already Eijinort.  Fortunately for you, Xeiji my nobody, Jeie my Heartbody, and Eijiplex my Heartnope are all here to...

Wait, sorry, apparently actually I am half-possessing you with my digital dream self Electronic Eiji or Eeiji, so you're also Eiji.  I could do that due to your Darkness, your Dark Darkness, and your Darkheartness which I unlocked with my Chiblade, Kiblade, Keyblade, and X-blade.  But it's pronounced [REDACTED].
Mudada.

Offline Kethrian

• Legendary Member
  • Night Owl
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: March 15, 2019, 03:50:59 AM »
Sounds like you already watched it.

Hocus Pocus, these games have no focus!
What do I win?

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
  • No obstacle too great for the FLAMES IN MY HEART!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #885 on: March 15, 2019, 10:18:40 AM »
Too many good games have come out all at once.

Which do I conquer first?  Kingdom Hearts 3, DMC5, or Sekiro Shadows Die Twice?

Wait. Sekiro is out already?!
Kami darou ga akuma darou ga, ore no michi ni tateru mono NASHI!!

Give me internets. Now.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: March 15, 2019, 03:13:39 PM »
DMC5 is good. And something you can actually finish quickly.

Offline SolEiji

• Epic Member
  • I am 120% Eiji.
    • View Profile
    • D&D Wiki.org, not .com
« Reply #887 on: March 15, 2019, 11:08:17 PM »
Too many good games have come out all at once.

Which do I conquer first?  Kingdom Hearts 3, DMC5, or Sekiro Shadows Die Twice?

Wait. Sekiro is out already?!

Soon.  Like... 22nd?  26th?  It's this month.
Mudada.

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: March 16, 2019, 02:32:30 AM »
Jesus Eiji don't jump the gun like that! I'm an anxious guy, I can't wait to get my hands on this thing.

Give me internets. Now.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #889 on: March 26, 2019, 09:16:53 AM »
It took me registering an Hong Kong account but I got SUPER ROBOT WARS T in my Switch! :D :love :cloud9

First impressions:
-Electron Fairy! Noble Gundam! Engrish is alive and well.
-Man Domon's VA just sounds older, at least it fits the plot since it is after G Gundam's events.
-Checking in the net seems like MKR only joins in stage 19 :shakefist but at least I have their theme available right away and can slap it in Noble Nobel Gundam that arrives relatively soon.
-New MC original theme pretty spiffy.
-Mooks with actual faces but there's like only 2 different faces per faction makes me feel like I'm fighting mass-produced clones. Which may actually be true.

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: March 26, 2019, 11:36:01 AM »
Huh. The Hong Kong version is in English? Or are you using translation FAQs?

Give me internets. Now.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: March 26, 2019, 11:52:33 AM »
Right, the version they sell through the Hong Kong eshop is the english one.

The payment must be done through this site which then gives a an activation code for the Hong Kong Switch eshop, which literally only has the option for putting in game codes.

Oh and seems to have come with the DLC right away, yay early Gespent!

Also gotta love how the translation uses the "politically correct" burning gundam/finger while Domon and Allenby are explicitly screaming GGGGOOOODDDD FFFIIINNNGGEEEERRRRR.

And sometimes they just don't bother like Van finishes his sword attacks with [chestoh] that gets written just like that.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 11:54:04 AM by oslecamo »

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: April 10, 2019, 11:33:27 AM »
More Super Robot Wars T!

Master Asia: Fight me!
Domon: Wait didn't you die?
Master Asia: Heh I got better.
Domon: So, think you can help us fight this army of robot aliens that want to mechanize everything?
Master Asia: If by 'helping' you mean a 3-way FFA, sure! Now arise once more my death army!
Kamille: IF YOU HADN'T COME CLOSE TO ME YOU WOULD STILL BE ALIVE!
Zombie Soldier:...(already dead).
Neo Zeon: Hey look at the time, it's colony-drop-o-clock!
Master Asia: Damn kids get off my lawn!
Neo Zeon: It's a gundam AAAHHH

Meanwhile at the original villain organization HQ...
Villain 1:Damn the protagonists already beat us 2 times despite we hiring pros and building our own super prototype mechas, what are we missing?
Villain 2: I know the perfect solution LET'S PUT AN ANGSTY TEENAGER IN OUR SUPER PROTOTYPE MECHA!
Villain 1: BRILLIANT!

Then said angsty teenager procceeds to get epic smack talked by all the protagonist cast to don't get in the way of the "grown-ups" (which includes the pilot of Tryder 3 being a 6th grader although granted that kid is also already CEO of a company) and that it's not enough to be an angsty teenager in a super prototype mecha to win the day. :lmao

Still Judau and Kamille shouldn't be pointing any fingers since they didn't start much better.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: April 11, 2019, 09:15:31 AM »
Judau arriving in Cephiro: "Sure I grew up in a space colony surrounded by giant robots that break the laws of physics everywhere and aliens and people like Master Asia and cyborgs powered by COURAGE and then I discovered I have psionic newtype powers and there's also boson jumping genes and ancient civilizations that left behind even more uber technology, but a magic fantasy world? No way that can be true, this isn't anime."

Also damnit game how dare you make the Rayearth girls play the damsel in distress role, just watching while everybody else blows up the monsters of the level? Sure you can't just hand them their mechas right away, but previous SRW let us play people like Domon and Iczer-1/3 on foot even if they didn't do much! :shakefist

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: April 14, 2019, 06:23:54 AM »
They remember to mention that magic can't be used in the forest of silence only for everyboy in both sides to use magic no problem. :psyduck.

Tetsuya can beat golems. On foot with his bare hands.

Awww, no quest to find the Escudo ore. At least Presea lives.

Of course Mokona can make even super AIs overheat just trying to decipher His speech. The greatest elder one is amused by those big human toys and so allows them to exist another day. Puu. Pu! Puuu? Ppppppppuuuuuu!!!

And now the three magic girls must reach the place with their new mechas on foot while the way is blocked by an army of golems and aura battlers.

Of course the rest of the cast will be providing fire support to clear a path

Meaning Hikari, Umi and Fuu are running on their own while some 30+ giant robots battle all around launching fire, lighting, beams, rockets and whatnot all over the place. Now that's properly badass!  :love

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: April 17, 2019, 08:02:10 AM »
Fuu's a vancian spellcaster with actual prepared spells while the other two magic knights just have their spells be normal attacks by any other name. Wait, the secondary character getting unique abilities in a SRW game? What madness is this?

Also Eagle arrives right in the next stage? Damnit man we're still in season 1 plot, you're only supposed to appear in season 2!  :shakefist

And of course he charges alone against two battleships and a small army worth of mechas. At least he actually has all his attacks from the anime! All two of them, vulcan and beam saber, truly a discount gundam. Also damn his beam saber has a whooping 5 range, even Kamille and Judau can't go over range 3 with their newtype power enhanced super beam sabers and even Domon can only reach 4 range twin beam sabers with his martial skillz.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: April 28, 2019, 11:39:04 PM »
Hikaru: Hey, we're back to our reality and still have our magic and mechas!
Fuu: But since we're back to our reality doesn't that mean we need to worry about school and our families?
Bright: Don't worry, we already called your parents telling them we've conspricted you 14 year old girls in the army and you don't need to worry about school or visiting them anymore.
Hikaru: Yay!
___

Original Evil organization: "Hi guys since you beat our angst teenager last time, we figured out the problem was that he was too old so here's a 10 year old kid for you to fight!"
Judau:"WWWWRRRRYYYYYY!!!"

(couple stages later)
Guy: Mamoru, I need you to risk your 10 year old person in the frontlines to pump up my mecha despite we having like a dozen other super robots including Gunbuster!
Judau: I'm ok with this.
____
Dr.Saotome: "Hey I'm also an old mentor figure that was supposed to be dead but then show up in an enemy side but it's actually a ruse to support my disciples!"
Master Asia: "We should form a club!"

Super Robot Wars T keeps delivering.

And yes finally got the Gunbuster so that should be all series covered. Noriko's even more badass than in the anime since she's handling that metal monster solo (Jung already got her Sizzler Black while Kazumi's stickying with Coach). Gunbuster has like two pages of attacks and most mook attacks just harmlessly bounce off her inertia field and even bosses struggle to deal significant damage. And before that Noriko was already playing sempai to the magic knights crew.

Shin Getter Robo meanwhile has no HP/energy regen like in previous versions and Getter 2 can't even burrow, but at least the strongest Getter Beam's range 5 so it can counter pretty hard at most ranges, plus two subpilots always good. Plus hey actual plot!. Yes, still a bit salty  about SRW W.

Meanwhile Judau and Kamille seem to have been contaminated with all the super spirit around since the Gundam Z and ZZ both goth their own not-hyper modes and ultimate attacks channeling the souls of the dead.

Oh and Angela's there too, bit of a disappointing battle-wise as so far she lacks any unique skills and her smoll ARHAN isn't anything special, but she's bound to get an upgrade as per her movie and until then she's entertaining enough plotwise playing straightwoman "What the hell is this reality where there's magic monster, space monsters and mechanic monsters attacking every other week?"

Meanwhile Fuu's all "This is just like a videogame!" Oh gods she's becoming self-aware!

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: April 29, 2019, 12:21:16 AM »
Is T new or is this some old version? God if I can try to make sense of what came when by the names. xD

And yes finally got the Gunbuster so that should be all series covered. Noriko's even more badass than in the anime since she's handling that metal monster solo (Jung already got her Sizzler Black while Kazumi's stickying with Coach). Gunbuster has like two pages of attacks and most mook attacks just harmlessly bounce off her inertia field and even bosses struggle to deal significant damage. And before that Noriko was already playing sempai to the magic knights crew.

I think Gunbuster is one of those things that gets the distinction of always being really strong whenever it shows up?

Though it's funny when Noriko gets to be someone's superior, since she's a Getter fangirl (she even has a poster in the anime).
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 12:23:01 AM by Raineh Daze »

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: April 29, 2019, 01:01:08 AM »
Is T new or is this some old version? God if I can try to make sense of what came when by the names. xD
The most recent one, in particular Magic Knight Rayearth finally making their debut in a SRW game which surprised a lot of people since the two previous games had been more on the fantasy side with Aura Battlers and Cross Ange, with the latter being dropped this time.

Or maybe CLAMP just went "You're not putting one of our franchises in a crossover with Cross Ange nopenopenope."

I think Gunbuster is one of those things that gets the distinction of always being really strong whenever it shows up?
Well it can vary a lot and is relative to the other series. Like I think the two previous times Gunbuster showed up are SRW Alpha 3 where she only shows up on stage 37 with 6 attacks (can unlock her kick as 7th) and is competing with the likes of Ideon and Banpreios, then Z 3 where she shows up in stage 35 and is competing with the likes of 2nd season TTGL.

But in T she's showing up right away in stage 21 and can even do her INAZUMA KICK out of the bat! And Gunbuster simply doesn't get that much competition this time around with the supers being relatively in the lower end. Here's hoping the other supers catch up a bit once they get their mid-season upgrades.

Fitting enough, the Gunbuster mooks have also been the most dangerous so far, with not only huge stats but their "ships" have huge range and inflict morale down to boot.

Though it's funny when Noriko gets to be someone's superior, since she's a Getter fangirl (she even has a poster in the anime).

She's been fangirling only a bit about the getter pilots, which is understandable since Ryoma's been in jail for 10 years for 'killing' Saotome, but T's Gunbuster does have a Getter BUSTER TOMAHAWK which I don't recall being in the anime. :p
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 01:02:59 AM by oslecamo »

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: April 29, 2019, 01:22:40 AM »
Hey, I don't know attacks, I was just trying to remember stats and word of mouth. I've had zero ability to ever play the things. But yeah, Buster Tomahawk is a thing. It was actually planned to be in the anime but they could never work out how to include it. Gunbuster is like half Getter homage. :lmao

If T is the one I'm thinking of, I think that means Nono is going to show up, too. Or was that a Z-something... <_>