Author Topic: Morphling [base] (Magipunk)  (Read 17596 times)

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
Morphling [base] (Magipunk)
« on: December 13, 2011, 07:37:09 PM »
A base class for my Magipunk setting.  WIP.

MORPHLING

Picture Credit: Google Image Search

"There is a beast in all of us... I have simply learned to unleash mine."
-Skurth, morphling gladiator of unknown origin

A morphling is a creature whose DNA has become mutable (through magic, genetic engineering, or fate).  This strange ability allows a morphling to alter portions of its anatomy, even to the point of completely transforming into another type of creature.  Effecting such changes in their structure is difficult, however, and can quickly lead to fatigue.

MAKING A MORPHLING
A morphling is primarily a melee combatant, though at times one can serve other roles (such as scouting, or infiltrating enemy encampments) by using their Transformation ability.
Abilities: As a melee combatant, Strength and Dexterity are both important.  In addition, Constitution determines the duration of the Morph ability, the Morphling's hit points, and the Morphling's defense.
Races: Morphlings can come from any race.
Alignment: Any.
Starting Gold: As barbarian.
Starting Age: As barbarian.

Class Skills
The Morphling's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Animal Affinity (Cha), Athletics (Str), Natural Lore (Wis), Perception (Wis), Persuasion (Cha), and Profession (Wis).
Skill Points at 1st Level: (2 + int)x4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 2 + int

Table: The MorphlingHD: d10

Level
Base
Attack
Bonus
+1
+2
+3
+4
+5
+6/+1
+7/+2
+8/+3
+9/+4
+10/+5
+11/+6/+1
+12/+7/+2
+13/+8/+3
+14/+9/+4
+15/+10/+5
+16/+11/+6/+1
+17/+12/+7/+2
+18/+13/+8/+3
+19/+14/+9/+4
+20/+15/+10/+5

Fort
Save
+2
+3
+3
+4
+4
+5
+5
+6
+6
+7
+7
+8
+8
+9
+9
+10
+10
+11
+11
+12

Ref
Save
+2
+3
+3
+4
+4
+5
+5
+6
+6
+7
+7
+8
+8
+9
+9
+10
+10
+11
+11
+12

Will
Save
+0
+0
+1
+1
+1
+2
+2
+2
+3
+3
+3
+4
+4
+4
+5
+5
+5
+6
+6
+6

Morph

Special
Morph, Skill Focus (Perception), morphic body (skin)
Morphic senses
Blend in, morphic body (healing)
Morphic body (fortification 50%)
Transformation I
Morphic weapons
Morphic reserves
Morphic body (brawn)
Transformation II
Morphic body (fortification 75%)
Improved morphic weapons
Morphic body (reach)
Transformation III
Improved morphic reserves
Greater morphic weapons
Morphic body (fortification 100%)
Transformation IV
Morphic flurry
Supreme morphic weapons
Morphic apotheosis, transformation V

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: Morphlings are proficient with simple weapons and light armor, but not with shields.  They are proficient with their natural weapons.

Morph (Ex): A morphling's mutable DNA allows him to alter his anatomy in fantastic ways.  To represent this strange ability, a morphling gains morph points that he can spend to activate this ability (and the Transformation ability).  At the beginning of each encounter, he gains a number of morph points determined by his level (see the table above).  He can spend morph points to gain a number of abilities, determined by his level, as described below; the benefits and abilities last for a number of rounds equal to 3 + his Constitution modifier.  Once the duration of a morph ends, the morphling becomes exhausted for the duration of the encounter.

Skill Focus (Perception): A morphling gains Skill Focus (Perception) as a bonus feat.

Morphic body (Ex): A morphling also learns how to alter their body in less obvious ways.  Whenever a morphling is actively morphing or transformed, he gains the following abilities based on his class level:
  • At 1st level, he gains a natural armor bonus equal to his Constitution modifier, or his existing natural armor bonus increases by the same amount.
  • At 3rd level, he gains fast healing 1.  This increases by 1 for every 3 additional morphling levels (i.e., 2 at 6th, 3 at 9th, etc.).
  • At 4th level, he becomes immune to stunning; in addition, he has a 50% chance to negate critical hits and precision damage.
  • At 8th level, he gains a +4 bonus to Strength.
  • At 10th level, he has a 75% chance to negate critical hits and precision damage.
  • At 12th level, his natural reach increases by 5 feet.
  • At 16th level, he is immune to critical hits and precision damage.

Morphic Senses: At 2nd level, a morphling gains low-light vision, as well as darkvision at a range of 60 feet.

Blend in (Ex): Beginning at 3rd level, a morphling learns how to subtly alter their structure and coloration, giving them a +10 circumstance bonus to Persuasion checks to impersonate someone, a +5 circumstance bonus on all other Persuasion checks, and a +5 circumstance bonus to Stealth checks.

Transformation I (Ex): At 5th level, a morphling learns to completely transform himself into another creature.  Doing so is a special use of the Morph ability that costs 5 morph points.  This ability functions like the alternate form special ability, except as noted here; activating this ability is a standard action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity.  He can take the shape of any animal, humanoid, or monstrous humanoid of Medium or Small size that he is familiar with; the new form's hit dice cannot exceed his morphling level.  He retains the ability to speak in any form.  The duration of this ability is determined by the morphling's original Constitution modifier, not the Constitution modifier of the new form.

Morphic weapons (Ex): Beginning at 6th level, whenever a morphling gains a natural attack from his morph ability, he may spend an additional morph point to increase the size of the damage die by one step.

Morphic reserves (Ex): When he reaches 7th level, a morphling learns how to conserve his energy more efficiently.  Whenever he uses his morph ability, he may voluntarily reduce the duration by 3 rounds.  If he does so, then when the duration expires he becomes fatigued instead of exhausted.

Transformation II: At 9th level, a morphling can spend 7 morph points to use his transformation ability to assume the form of creatures of the giant or fey types.  He can also take on forms that are Large or Tiny size; taking the form of a Large or Tiny humanoid, animal, or monstrous humanoid costs 7 morph points (instead of 5).

Improved morphic weapons: Beginning at 11th level, whenever a morphling uses his morphic weapons ability, the damage die instead increases by two steps.

Transformation III: At 13th level, a morphling can spend 9 morph points to use his transformation ability to assume the form of creatures of the vermin or aberration types.  He can also take on forms that are Huge size; taking the form of a Huge humanoid, animal, monstrous humanoid, giant, or fey costs 9 morph points (instead of 5 or 7).

Improved morphic reserves (Ex): When he reaches 14th level, a morphling has built up a resistance to the physical weariness of morphing.  When a morph ends, he is fatigued instead of exhausted.  In addition, whenever he uses his morphic reserves ability on a morph, when that morph ends he takes no penalty.

Greater morphic weapons: Beginning at 15th level, whenever a morphling uses his morphic weapons ability, the damage die instead increases by three steps.

Transformation IV: At 17th level, a morphling can spend 11 morph points to use his transformation ability to assume the form of creatures of the plant or ooze types.  He can also take on forms that are Diminutive size; taking the form of a Diminutive humanoid, animal, monstrous humanoid, giant, fey, vermin, or aberration costs 11 morph points (instead of 5, 7, or 9).

Morphic flurry (Ex):  Beginning at 18th level, whenever a morphling gains a natural attack mode from his morph or transformation abilities, he gains one additional attack of that type.  For example, a 19th-level morphling who spends 1 morph point to gain 2 claw attacks would instead gain 3 claw attacks.

Supreme morphic weapons:  When he reaches 19th level, whenever a morphling uses his morphic weapons ability, the damage die instead increases by four steps.

Morphic apotheosis (Ex): Beginning at 20th level, a morphling has built up a significant tolerance to morphing and transformation.  The first 5 morph points he spends in an encounter cause him no penalty when the morph or transformation ends.  If and when he spends more points, he suffers fatigue as normal (his improved morphic reserves ability still applies).

Transformation V: At 20th level, a morphling can spend 13 morph points to use his transformation ability to assume the form of creatures of the elemental or dragon types.  He can also take on forms that are Gargantuan size; taking the form of a Gargantuan humanoid, animal, monstrous humanoid, giant, fey, vermin, aberration, plant, or ooze costs 13 morph points (instead of 5, 7, 9, or 11).

PLAYING A MORPHLING
Morphlings are ferocious combatants, exploding into a whirlwind of claws, teeth, and tentacles whenever threatened.
 Combat: Morphlings use their natural weapons to great effect.  Many spend MP on the Pounce ability once it becomes available, charging up to enemies and tearing them apart with claws, teeth, and tentacles.
 Advancement: Feats and items that improve natural attacks can augment a morphling's combat prowess.  In particular, Multiattack and Improved Multiattack are good for those who want several natural attack modes.

MORPHLINGS IN THE WORLD
"Whenever someone walks by who isn't wearing a shirt, I keep my hand on my sword."
-Dareth Mullud, Sylvatium District Police
A brief description of how your class is persevered in the world and how he interacts with the world.
 Daily Life: Some general information about the typical day in the life of your class.
 Notables: Make up some cool information about notable figures in the history of your class. It's best to give a little information from one of the good alignment and evil alignment (unless it's a good or evil only class).
 Organizations: The Evernight Gladatorial Arena trains morphlings to fight each other and Wilds-caught monsters, for the entertainment of tourists.

NPC Reaction
 This is an in detail description of how NPC's would perceive your class and the immediate generalization that people would give of your class.

MORPHLINGS IN THE GAME
 This is a good place to provide a quick note on how your class will effect game play statistically.
 Adaptation: This is a place where you put in detail how people can adapt your class into their campaign setting.
 Encounters: This is a place to describe what sort of encounters PC's will have with NPC versions of your class.

Sample Encounter
Give an example of how one might encounter a member of this PrC.
EL x: Give the encounter level and description of a sample member of this class and a stat block for him/her.

Skuth
CN Male Dragonborn Human Morphling 8
Init +0, Senses: Listen +, Spot +,
Languages
------------------------------------------------
AC , touch , flat-footed   ()
hp  ( HD)
Fort +, Ref +, Will
------------------------------------------------
Speed 30 ft. (6 squares)
Melee
Base Atk +, Grp +
Atk Options
Combat Gear
Spells Prepared
Supernatural Abilities
-----------------------------------------------
Abilities Str 14, Dex 11, Con 19, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 8
SQ
Feats
Skills
Possessions
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 08:17:54 AM by sirpercival »
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
Re: Morphling [base]
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 08:19:37 PM »
MORPH ABILITIES

Natural Attack ModeMorph CostMin. Class LevelNotes
Slam11stBase damage 1d6
Bite11stBase damage 1d8
2 claws23rdBase damage 1d4
Gore35thBase damage 1d10
2 wings47thBase damage 1d8
Tail slap59thBase damage 2d6
4 tentacles611thBase damage 1d6, +5 foot reach
Ranged Natural Attack Mode  Morph CostMin. Class LevelNotes
1 spike11stBase damage 1d6, range 30 feet, standard action
2 spikes23rdBase damage 1d6, range 40 feet, standard action
3 spikes35thBase damage 1d6, range 50 feet, standard action
4 spikes47thBase damage 1d6, range 60 feet, standard action
Breath WeaponMorph CostMin. Class LevelNotes
1d8 (any energy)11st20-foot line or 10-foot cone, standard action
2d8 (any energy)23rd30-foot line or 15-foot cone, standard action
3d8 (any energy)35th40-foot line or 20-foot cone, standard action
4d8 (any energy)47th50-foot line or 25-foot cone, standard action
5d8 (any energy)59th60-foot line or 30-foot cone, standard action
6d8 (any energy)611th70-foot line or 35-foot cone, standard action
7d8 (any energy)713th80-foot line or 40-foot cone, standard action
8d8 (any energy)815th90-foot line or 45-foot cone, standard action
Movement modeMorph CostMin. Class LevelNotes
Augment11st+10 feet to any 1 movement mode
Swim23rd20 feet, can breathe underwater
Climb23rd20 feet
Burrow23rd20 feet
Fly35th30 feet (good)
Earth glide59thas earth elemental, at base land speed
Enhance23rdIncrease flight maneuverability 1 step (stackable)
SensesMorph CostMin. Class LevelNotes
Scent11st30 feet
Tremorsense23rd30 feet
Blindsense35th30 feet
Blindsight57th50 feet
Special AbilityMorph CostMin. Class LevelNotes
Natural armor*1stNatural armor increase = 2*MP spent - 1
Pounce23rdFull attack at end of charge
Improved grab35thInitiate a grapple with successful attack
Endurance11stRemove fatigue or reduce exhaustion to fatigue
Poison35thInjury DC 10+Con+1/2 class level, initial and secondary 1d6 Str
Energy ResistanceMorph CostMin. Class LevelNotes
Single energy type23rdResistance 10
Single type increase11st+5 to an existing resistance, stackable
All energy types47thResistance 5
All type increase35th+5 to all existing resistances, stackable
Size Increase/DecreaseMorph CostMin. Class LevelNotes
±1 category11st --
±2 categories47th --
±3 categories713th --
±4 categories1019th --
Stat boostMorph CostMin. Class LevelNotes
+2 to one stat11stRacial bonus
+4 to one stat23rdRacial bonus
+2 to all stats35thRacial bonus
+6 to one stat47thRacial bonus
+8 to one stats59thRacial bonus
+4 to all stats611thRacial bonus
+6 to all stats917thRacial bonus

MORPH FEATS

Enduring Morph [Morph]
Prerequisites: Con 13, morph class feature
Benefit: The duration of your morphs increases by 5 rounds.  In addition, you may spend any number of morph points during the duration of a morph to increase that duration by 5 rounds per morph point spent.

Extra Morph [Morph]
Prerequisites: Con 15, morph class feature
Benefit: Your pool of morph points increases by 1.
Special: You can take this feat multiple times.  Its effects stack.

Lasting Transformation [Morph]
Prerequisites: Con 15, transformation class feature, Enduring Morph
Benefit: You can perform a long transformation.  Doing so requires 2 extra morph points when you assume the form, and the transformation lasts for (3 + Con modifier) times 10 minutes.  During the lasting transformation, the morph points you spent on transforming do not refresh until the transformation ends.

Skilled Morphling [Morph]
Prerequisites: Con 15, Morph class feature
Benefit: You count as a morphling of two levels higher for the purposes of qualifying for morphs.

Skilled Transformer [Morph]
Prerequisites: Con 17, Transformation class feature
Benefit: You can use your transformation class feature to take the form of creatures with HD up to your morphling class level +1.
Normal: The maximum HD for your transformations is equal to your morphling class level.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 10:34:12 PM by sirpercival »

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 12:48:37 AM »
I don't know how helpful it will be, but this might help you with some inspiration for fully fleshed out class abilities or some such.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 01:07:35 AM »
You might also want to look at Prime's Shapeshifter (which I'm not sure is finished or not), and Owrtho's Ozodrin (which is still changing, as befits the concept).

Is that Morph Point column just the Totemist's essentia pool with the first few levels boosted by 1?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 01:09:35 AM by Garryl »

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 07:45:33 AM »
Thanks, guys.  I'm pretty set on how these things will work (at least until I finish posting and then get feedback that the whole thing sucks), I just ran out of non-sleeping time last night to finish posting this.  In particular I have a much better idea on how to write up the morph abilities, so that will be a major change.

I'll take a look at these things, though.  Inspiration is always useful!

Is that Morph Point column just the Totemist's essentia pool with the first few levels boosted by 1?

Actually I started with Factotum's Inspiration... then changed it several times so that it was no longer recognizable.

I do expect you back when this is finished for a full review.  :D

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 10:17:19 AM »
OK, mechanics are done.  Comments?  Any suggestions for morph abilities or comments on morph point costs?

Offline Sneaky_Sable

• Legendary Member
  • Watching Ponies
    • View Profile
    • DOUBLE EXPOSURE
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 02:23:19 PM »
Immunities: Rather then a flat out "Immune to Rogues and Fighters" at 4th level, you may want to drag it out, since 4th is WAY too soon for flat out immunity. Grant a 25% immunity at 4th, then a 50% at 8th, and then perhaps full immunity at 12th.

Got some ideas here:

Lvl 12 - Reserved Morphing: By restricting yourself from your full potential, you put less strain on your body after a morph. You may willingly reduce the duration of your morphs by 2 rounds. If you do, when the morph ends you are merely Fatigued instead of Exhausted.

Lvl 16 - Greater Reserves: You are only Fatigued instead of Exhausted after a morph ends. If you apply Reserved Morphing to a morph you perform, when it ends you are neither Exhausted or Fatigued.

Lvl 20 - Morphic Apotheosis: You become a master of your own biology. You become a Shapeshifter, and may spend 5 Morph Points at any time without risking fatigue or exhaustion. Unlike normal Morph Point expenditures, you may hold this morph indefinitely. After you spend your 6th, you risk exhaustion or fatigue as normal.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 03:23:59 PM by Sneaky_Sable »
Link to my homebrews

(Offsite server may be unstable. Report broken / unresponsive link with Post Upvote button)

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 02:42:46 PM »
Hm... good stuff.  Will do.

The immunities thing came from Warshaper, which grants it at level 5 (essentially), but I can break it up.

Offline Sneaky_Sable

• Legendary Member
  • Watching Ponies
    • View Profile
    • DOUBLE EXPOSURE
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 02:50:23 PM »

The immunities thing came from Warshaper, which grants it at level 5 (essentially), but I can break it up.

Well you should know better then to directly quote an already broken Prestige Class. :)
Link to my homebrews

(Offsite server may be unstable. Report broken / unresponsive link with Post Upvote button)

Offline phaedrusxy

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • The iconic spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2011, 02:58:07 PM »
Worn or carried gear does not change, but anything that does not fit or cannot be carried by the new form falls to the ground.  Many morphlings carry very little with them on a regular basis, and wear clothing that is easily removable.
Terrible. D&D is heavily gear dependent, and this just shoots these guys right in the nuts, for no reason except "flavor". This is not a druid, which needs to be handicapped a bit. This guy's entire schtick is shapechanging. He doesn't need this.

The funny thing is, if you hadn't put this special provision in there, and had just said they get Alternate Form wholesale, their gear would have resized, because that's what it does by default with Alternate Form. It's one of the nice things about playing a lycanthrope.
If the creature changes size, any gear it wears or carries that can be worn or carried in its new form changes size to match the new size.
It won't change shape, but it will resize itself.

Well you should know better then to directly quote an already broken Prestige Class. :)
Broken? Oh, so you mean that they can create their own demiplanes, enslave (replicas of) deities, create unlimited wealth, and bitch slap anything in combat at level 20? Oh no? Oh yeah, that's casters. Silly me. I forgot, non-casters can't have nice things.  :rolleyes

And back on topic... why do they only get Fast Healing at level 16, and then get it all at once (fast heal 5)? Why not let them get Fast Heal 1 at a much lower level, and have it scale as they go up in levels?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 03:01:28 PM by phaedrusxy »
I don't pee messages into the snow often , but when I do , it's in Cyrillic with Fake Viagra.  Stay frosty my friends.

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2011, 02:59:23 PM »
Worn or carried gear does not change, but anything that does not fit or cannot be carried by the new form falls to the ground.  Many morphlings carry very little with them on a regular basis, and wear clothing that is easily removable.
Terrible. D&D is heavily gear dependent, and this just shoots these guys right in the nuts, for no reason except "flavor". This is not a druid, which needs to be handicapped a bit. This guy's entire schtick is shapechanging. He doesn't need this.

The funny thing is, if you hadn't put this special provision in there, and had just said they get Alternate Form wholesale, their gear would have resized, because that's what it does by default with Alternate Form. It's one of the nice things about playing a lycanthrope.
If the creature changes size, any gear it wears or carries that can be worn or carried in its new form changes size to match the new size.

Hmm... okay I see what you mean.  I'll take that part out, so it just works like Alternate Form.

Offline Sneaky_Sable

• Legendary Member
  • Watching Ponies
    • View Profile
    • DOUBLE EXPOSURE
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2011, 03:09:14 PM »

This of course presumes that the game itself is gear heavy. There may not be a lot of +2 chain mail in a Shadowrun / Cyberpunk inspired setting. Though, for conventional Dungeons and Dragons, you're quite right.

Broken? Oh, so you mean that they can create their own demiplanes, enslave (replicas of) deities, create unlimited wealth, and bitch slap anything in combat at level 20? Oh no? Oh yeah, that's casters. Silly me. I forgot, non-casters can't have nice things.  :rolleyes

Uh oh. Looks like I hit a sore spot with some sarcasm intended for the original poster. Apologies. Go enjoy your +5 flaming dancing vorpal swords. I'll be over here, ruling my own demiplane.

True, I prefer casters, and yes, I love them for being insane, but if you're just going to compare everything at it's 20th level zenith, then let us not forget the Fighters that can depopulate cities with great cleave, improved cleave, and such. Let us not forget about barbarians that can bench press the moon, or monks that can re-enact the events of "The Ring". Oh wait, 19th level monks can do that. Sorry. Where was I, oh yeah.

So yeah, relax. You'll get cool things too mister non-caster. Just as soon as a caster magics it for you. :)

And back on topic... why do they only get Fast Healing at level 16, and then get it all at once (fast heal 5)? Why not let them get Fast Heal 1 at a much lower level, and have it scale as they go up in levels?

I agree with this. Space it out. Fast Heal 1 at 3, and then add one to it every 3 levels. Should hit Fast Heal 5 by 15.
Link to my homebrews

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
Re: Morphling [base] (Magipunk)
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2011, 03:14:37 PM »
Blergh... too many entries in class table!   :banghead

I'll figure out a way to write it more cleanly, to deal with increased fortification and fast healing.  Just not at this exact moment.

Offline Noliar

• Not a very nice elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2011, 03:17:58 PM »
The very short duration badly restricts the out of combat utility of morphing/transformation which makes it less interesting. Combined with exhaustion which means you dare not use it unless your life depends on it because in less than a minute you will be all but useless and it's a pretty weak class.

Suggestions:
Reduce the cost back down to fatigued.
Enduring Morph - should increase morph by 5 rnds + 5 rnds/extra morph pt spent as a swift action before the end of the morph.
Long Transformation - transformation costs 2 extra morph pts and lasts up to (3+con bonus) x 10 min, morph pt pool does not renew while transformation is ongoing - allows scouting, digging etc. Could be a feat or a class ability.
Drop references to DNA in the fluff - no explanation is better than an explanation that is obviously impossible and makes biologists go  :banghead

Offline Sneaky_Sable

• Legendary Member
  • Watching Ponies
    • View Profile
    • DOUBLE EXPOSURE
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2011, 03:23:22 PM »
The very short duration badly restricts the out of combat utility of morphing/transformation which makes it less interesting. Combined with exhaustion which means you dare not use it unless your life depends on it because in less than a minute you will be all but useless and it's a pretty weak class.

Suggestions:
Enduring Morph - should increase morph by 5 rnds + 5 rnds/extra morph pt spent as a swift action before the end of the morph.
Long Transformation - transformation costs 2 extra morph pts and lasts up to (3+con bonus) x 10 min, morph pt pool does not renew while transformation is ongoing - allows scouting, digging etc. Could be a feat or a class ability.
Drop references to DNA in the fluff - no explanation is better than an explanation that is obviously impossible and makes biologists go  :banghead

I had meant to suggest something along those lines with my lvl 20 suggestion above, but you're right. Perhaps some form of a pool of points that you can freely spend without risking fatigue, and at limitless duration?

I'm actually going to go back and edit my original suggestion post to include something about having no duration on the 20th level power.

And back. Maybe something like "You may spend 1/4th of your Morph Pool (rounding down) at any time without risking fatigue or exhaustion. There is no duration on this shift." to indicate people can just sprout tentacles and climb up a building at a moment's notice, or grow cheetah legs or bug wings and just take off.
Link to my homebrews

Offline phaedrusxy

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • The iconic spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2011, 03:27:50 PM »

Suggestions:
I agree that they should be able to get some non-combat utility out of their abilities. I guess they could just not worry about the exhaustion... and hope they don't get attacked...

And while I agree with you about the DNA objection (as a biotech scientist...), this kind of nonsense is common in science fiction. I guess I just got used to it to the point where I don't even see it anymore. :P
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 03:29:29 PM by phaedrusxy »
I don't pee messages into the snow often , but when I do , it's in Cyrillic with Fake Viagra.  Stay frosty my friends.

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2011, 03:33:10 PM »

Suggestions:

I agree with Phaedrus -- altering your DNA to change your form is a time-honored sci-fi tradition!  Lol.

And out of combat, it's trivial.  All they have to do is run Morph --> Endurance as long as they want, just like outside an encounter you can pretty much do what you want with a Factotum's inspiration points or ToB maneuvers.  A morphling can use the same trick to run all night, in fact.

EDIT: Do you guys think the "morphic body" stuff is too much overall?  Should I kill the whole ability tree?  Or make it into something you can spend MP on?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 03:46:18 PM by sirpercival »

Offline phaedrusxy

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • The iconic spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2011, 03:50:43 PM »
EDIT: Do you guys think the "morphic body" stuff is too much overall?  Should I kill the whole ability tree?  Or make it into something you can spend MP on?
I certainly don't think it is too much... I could see making it cost morph uses, but honestly that just adds needless complexity IMO.

Offline Sneaky_Sable

• Legendary Member
  • Watching Ponies
    • View Profile
    • DOUBLE EXPOSURE
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2011, 03:52:29 PM »
I agree with Phaedrus -- altering your DNA to change your form is a time-honored sci-fi tradition!  Lol.

And out of combat, it's trivial.  All they have to do is run Morph --> Endurance as long as they want, just like outside an encounter you can pretty much do what you want with a Factotum's inspiration points or ToB maneuvers.  A morphling can use the same trick to run all night, in fact.

sirpercival, here's something to consider. Take a look at the summoner class from Pathfinder, then say to yourself...

"What if there was NO Eidolon, and you just kept applying the granted Evolution points to yourself?"

Springboard and discuss.
Link to my homebrews

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2011, 04:05:53 PM »
sirpercival, here's something to consider. Take a look at the summoner class from Pathfinder, then say to yourself...

"What if there was NO Eidolon, and you just kept applying the granted Evolution points to yourself?"

Springboard and discuss.

You mean like the Synthesist archetype?