Author Topic: The Small Rants Thread VIII: Now more bitchin' than ever.  (Read 148379 times)

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
  • No obstacle too great for the FLAMES IN MY HEART!!
    • View Profile
Re: The Small Rants Thread VIII: Now more bitchin' than ever.
« Reply #1000 on: October 14, 2014, 12:06:01 AM »
I tend to ignore die rolls I use to actually make decisions. So probably not the best way to go about it.
Kami darou ga akuma darou ga, ore no michi ni tateru mono NASHI!!

Give me internets. Now.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: October 14, 2014, 12:09:25 AM »
I tend to ignore die rolls I use to actually make decisions. So probably not the best way to go about it.

Ignoring the die roll tells you what you've already decided but didn't want to say. I do it too much.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: October 14, 2014, 12:10:35 AM »

I wonder if cooking shows are like cooking shows in America. 

Decent american cooking shows aren't like that, especially PBS.  I'd recommend America's Test Kitchen, Cook's Country, Barbecue University, Jacques Pepin, Primal Grill, Lidia Bastianich or Ming Tsai.  All of the decent people on the Food Network fled for PBS.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: October 14, 2014, 12:14:31 AM »
I'm pretty much deciding what my career will be in a couple of days.

Most entry level jobs are shit.  FInd one that doesn't inspire you to kill yourself or your coworkers, and train for something better in the meantime.

Offline dman11235

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Disclaimer: not at full capacity yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: October 14, 2014, 12:21:41 AM »
Alton Brown.  Mario Batali.
My Sig's Handy Haversack  Need help?  Want to see what I've done?  Want to see what others have done well?  Check it out.

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #1005 on: October 14, 2014, 12:24:08 AM »
Well, this topic has been awfully chatty since i've left for my date...

Which, speaking of which, to keep you guys posted, was a smashing success.

Won't go into details, but she seems like an Unicorn. (Unicorn being anything that's just too good to be true. Too many qualities not enough defects to balance it out)

And we all know there isn't such things as unicorns. So i might be dealing with crazy. Crazy is never good. Well, sometimes it's good, but almost never is.

Yes, i'm intentionally being pessimistic. I just got out of crazy... Not excited to jump into crazy again. So far, not too many signs of crazy, but...

Yeah, i'm excited. Can't let that go out of hand. Can't fall for a girl after a successful first date, need to actually wait it out and see how it goes.

I'll keep you guys posted.

BUT. XBOX HUEG SUCCESS - I'm not about to just ignore that. SO

HOORAY
"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: October 14, 2014, 12:45:02 AM »
Sigh, its annoying how most of the popular cooking shows in the US are just competitions more about winning a prize than helping people or making good food.

Offline SolEiji

• Epic Member
  • I am 120% Eiji.
    • View Profile
    • D&D Wiki.org, not .com
« Reply #1007 on: October 14, 2014, 12:59:45 AM »
Sigh, its annoying how most of the popular cooking shows in the US are just competitions more about winning a prize than helping people or making good food.

+1.

Also on another show from the same time, they had one food dish which was so fantastically over-complex that I can't imagine anyone outside of a restaurant setting would ever make it.  At one point I half expected him to start describing that you need meat from the rare Russian Mountain Cow, and proceed to show him finding, trapping, and butchering thing for step 2772b in his attempt to make.... what was ultimately chicken, rice, and some kind of cornbread and hummus/salsa sandwich.
Mudada.

Offline wotmaniac

• Legendary Member
  • Procrastinator in Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: October 14, 2014, 01:01:08 AM »
I find that Everyday Italian makes for some good "alone time".
I'm also a sucker for Mexican Made Easy.

For the non-pervert, I really like Good Eats -- I've always found Alton Brown to be quite entertaining (though, I think he's wasted on the competition shows).

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
  • Thread Necromancy a specialty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: October 14, 2014, 01:05:00 AM »
Well, this topic has been awfully chatty since i've left for my date...

Which, speaking of which, to keep you guys posted, was a smashing success.

Won't go into details, but she seems like an Unicorn. (Unicorn being anything that's just too good to be true. Too many qualities not enough defects to balance it out)

And we all know there isn't such things as unicorns. So i might be dealing with crazy. Crazy is never good. Well, sometimes it's good, but almost never is.

Yes, i'm intentionally being pessimistic. I just got out of crazy... Not excited to jump into crazy again. So far, not too many signs of crazy, but...

Yeah, i'm excited. Can't let that go out of hand. Can't fall for a girl after a successful first date, need to actually wait it out and see how it goes.

I'll keep you guys posted.

BUT. XBOX HUEG SUCCESS - I'm not about to just ignore that. SO

HOORAY

Congratulations. Remember, sometimes something too good to be true actually is that good. Stupid flawed world.

On the cooking subject: I suggest learning pasta. Pasta is easy. Pasta involves water, some sauce, and whatever shit you throw in as a sauce.

Sure, it isn't impressive, but it is better than nothing (says the man who was taught to sauté mushrooms at age 10, and who's a damn fine cook.)

On a side note: Does anyone know if there is a term for people uncomfortable with being one person? Anyone?

Or am I just really weird? I sometimes feel like developing split personalities so it won't be so lonely in my head.
"There is happiness for those who accept their fate, there is glory for those that defy it."

"Now that everyone's so happy, this is probably a good time to tell you I ate your parents."

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: October 14, 2014, 01:22:05 AM »

For the non-pervert, I really like Good Eats -- I've always found Alton Brown to be quite entertaining (though, I think he's wasted on the competition shows).

Alton Brown IS amazing~
It really puts me off tho that he hosts Cutthroat Kitchen...I mean, they make him act almost like a douche and that's so against how he is.

Offline dman11235

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Disclaimer: not at full capacity yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: October 14, 2014, 01:25:23 AM »

I direct you to my previous statement about Alton Brown and Mario Batali.

Also, I like Chopped and Iron Chef.  Those are /good/ competition cooking shows.  You can actually learn things from those.  You're given a restricting supply, so it means you have to be creative.
My Sig's Handy Haversack  Need help?  Want to see what I've done?  Want to see what others have done well?  Check it out.

Offline wotmaniac

• Legendary Member
  • Procrastinator in Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: October 14, 2014, 01:28:24 AM »
I direct you to my previous statement about Alton Brown and Mario Batali.
Oops - I must have skimmed past that.   :blush

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: October 14, 2014, 01:30:25 AM »
Also, I like Chopped and Iron Chef.  Those are /good/ competition cooking shows.  You can actually learn things from those.  You're given a restricting supply, so it means you have to be creative.

Heh, I love Iron Chef but I'm not a fan of Iron Chef America.
Go figure  :lmao
The original was so much more interesting.
The American version is so bland and boring to me for some reason.

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
  • No obstacle too great for the FLAMES IN MY HEART!!
    • View Profile
Kami darou ga akuma darou ga, ore no michi ni tateru mono NASHI!!

Give me internets. Now.

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: October 14, 2014, 05:21:50 PM »
Wait, you mean I can't open this thread ... even though my kitty avatar's Tail is stuck in the can ??
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: October 15, 2014, 07:43:20 PM »
I guess you missed out this time. :p