Author Topic: OOC Thread  (Read 90840 times)

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: OOC Thread
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2017, 12:35:59 PM »
SorO, Raineh, Archon, os, and VNut, are all of you finished with your characters?

Linklord, do you know what you're going to play?

Strat has bowed out.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2017, 01:11:47 PM »
I'll flesh out the initial post, and SorO can keep his IC post if he wants to.
Eh I pretty much just poke some fun at a movie plot without really commiting to anything.

I also just realized that post was there this morning and was like crap, better post something. Whoops  :blush

SorO, Raineh, Archon, os, and VNut, are all of you finished with your characters?
I am, will flip the table to the new version at some point when I get some sleep but that's about it.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2017, 01:20:46 PM »
No worries, I put it up when Raineh was asking about what to be angry at so it's pretty much just the adventure intro synopsis.

Offline Versatility_Nut

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2017, 03:32:35 PM »
I just need to have a Background decided on, then I'm good to go. The big problem is that I've also not gotten the character pinned down because characterization is the bane of my existence. What I have decided on is not taking the most direct approach to solving given problems(hence the pile of control spells readied), which basically means that there will probably be awkward moments of suggesting a known-to-be-slower path based on nothing but not liking direct paths.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2017, 03:34:01 PM »
Yes, my sheet's finished.

I just need to have a Background decided on, then I'm good to go. The big problem is that I've also not gotten the character pinned down because characterization is the bane of my existence. What I have decided on is not taking the most direct approach to solving given problems(hence the pile of control spells readied), which basically means that there will probably be awkward moments of suggesting a known-to-be-slower path based on nothing but not liking direct paths.

And Os and I seem to be playing team gung ho.

I'm sure that this cannot cause issues arguing with the dwarf.

Speaking of, your dorf should probably pick a god to worship.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2017, 03:35:12 PM »
This is a pre-made adventure.  Direct paths will be the only paths sometimes.  :P

Offline Versatility_Nut

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2017, 04:15:25 PM »

I'm sure that this cannot cause issues arguing with the dwarf.

Speaking of, your dorf should probably pick a god to worship.

...There will be plenty of Leeroying going on, won't there? Good thing Command is on the prepared list... Then seemingly-actually-suicidal Leeroying incidents can be responded to with Save-or-Sit-Down.

As for worship... Is this Faerun? Because there's two Dwarf gods with the healing domain in 3.X, and while one is Chaotic Good, this ain't 3.X, so the alignment restrictions are a lolnope. Sharindlar, the CG one, is the closest thing to a Dwarven god of parties. Also mercy, which works fairly well with control spells. With Bards listed among the typical worshippers, which is just perfect for someone who takes deliberately indirect paths to accomplishing things.

...It's a shame I went with a Charisma penalty, because this makes it so that I couldn't get away with a Bard dip even if I wanted to. Druid being planned would bring up the option of using Strength as a dump stat instead... but a 3-class build is not a good thing without a damn good reason. Although Strength is still good as a dump stat, given attack cantrips, I'd rather the dorf cleric be able to whack a zombie with a hammer effectively without bringing in Shillelagh.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2017, 05:06:24 PM »
Then seemingly-actually-suicidal Leeroying incidents can be responded to with Save-or-Sit-Down.
If there is going to be any party shenanigans let's not forget I'm the closest thing to a black mage we have and I have two daggers.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2017, 05:18:43 PM »
Then seemingly-actually-suicidal Leeroying incidents can be responded to with Save-or-Sit-Down.
If there is going to be any party shenanigans let's not forget I'm the closest thing to a black mage we have and I have two daggers.

I fully expect you to be the instigator of shenanigans.

Offline Versatility_Nut

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2017, 05:35:16 PM »
You also have nothing but Proficiency on Wisdom saves, while my character gets DC 12 on Command already. Note that Fey Ancestry only applies to being Charmed. Command isn't being Charmed, and your odds of success are liable to only go down from the current 50% when I'm actually needing you to sit down, because upcasting exists. So if you edge into causing legitimate problems, expect the response to be a Command to sit down. If a slot is available to spare, anyways...

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2017, 06:00:19 PM »
VNut, I sent you a private message but you replied with this instead of reading it.  Now you get a more severe public reprimand.

I don't know how serious you are, but no.  Do not start shit with your fellow players.  This raises a huge red flag for me which goes with other small not actually red flags you've already raised.

I'm getting the impression that you're viewing this game as a serious competition between the players and I, and that you need to pull out all the stops to make sure that I don't curb stop everyone.  What you've said makes me feel like you think that any mistake will end in player death.

If you threaten to take away another player's agency and fun you will be removed from this game.  I'm not going to put up with it, period.

Offline Archon

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2017, 08:50:09 PM »

Linklord, do you know what you're going to play?

Strat has bowed out.

I'm done.

Edit: As in, done with character creation.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 09:22:17 PM by Archon »

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
  • The dice are trying to kill me
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2017, 10:49:01 PM »
I'm gonna have to bow out as well.  Just not feeling inspired.
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 16, 2017, 11:37:16 PM »
:(

Picture a Tortle Monk waterbender (or shadow) named Raphael and see if that helps. +2 Str, +1 Wis, min 17 AC, can deal slashing and hold your breath for an hour, plus you look like a turtle.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 17, 2017, 12:14:51 AM »
:(

Picture a Tortle Monk waterbender (or shadow) named Raphael and see if that helps. +2 Str, +1 Wis, min 17 AC, can deal slashing and hold your breath for an hour, plus you look like a turtle.

Trying to get him to play a ninja turtle?   :lol

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #55 on: November 17, 2017, 02:45:34 AM »
My sheet should be ready now that I have a weightless stone block as my mysterious trinket of plot.

"You're out of control, I'm taking you out of this crusade! Hand over your holy symbol and sword!"

Sooo, how about combined backstory? We graduated together from paladin academy but then you joined the army and I the navy, still end up meeting and working together from time to time, including now.

Offline Versatility_Nut

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 17, 2017, 09:57:24 AM »
VNut, I sent you a private message but you replied with this instead of reading it.  Now you get a more severe public reprimand.

I don't know how serious you are, but no.  Do not start shit with your fellow players.  This raises a huge red flag for me which goes with other small not actually red flags you've already raised.

I'm getting the impression that you're viewing this game as a serious competition between the players and I, and that you need to pull out all the stops to make sure that I don't curb stop everyone.  What you've said makes me feel like you think that any mistake will end in player death.

If you threaten to take away another player's agency and fun you will be removed from this game.  I'm not going to put up with it, period.
...To be fair, I literally did not notice the message. On account of said things being shown solely as a barely-bolded number next to My Messages, which is on a bar that's of no interest to me outside the rare cases I do get a PM.

And it's that I have no clue what the overall numbers breakdown of 5e actually is, so I can't reliably judge what kind of lethality can be expected from a Warlock charging into melee without readied backup is. This is my first time doing any actual playing of 5e, and my first time doing a Play by Post, so I'm kinda going off of what seems reasonable for treatment of spontaneous combat without much understanding of the details. Namely, avoid at all costs.

Also, Command only lasts one round. At best, it delays two or three rounds on a failed save, which will have almost no chance of getting past 50% by more than one or two points of DC. It's not that huge of a fun-killer, more a mood-killer because it basically takes what should be a low-preparation fight and delays it a round or two for forced preparation. Even just a single use of Bless can shift the resultant fight quite a bit(bless actually seems like an absurdly good 1st level buff, seeing as how it's +1d4 to all attack rolls and saves for a minute in a game that assumes 5-round fights), which isn't exactly doable if a person just runs in on account of the 30 ft. range limit of Bless.

My sheet should be ready now that I have a weightless stone block as my mysterious trinket of plot.
Weightless? Does that mean it only slows down from air resistance if thrown? Does it just sit in midair if you let go of it, drifting in the wind? HOW DOES THIS INTERACT WITH PHYSICS!? And before you pull gravity as spacetime curvature and thus ignoring mass, weightless means it's unaffected by gravity, because weight is the measurement of the downwards force exerted by an object due to gravity, so zero weight means it is unaffected by gravity.

...I really do need a background, then I'm set to go. Having located a wiki that helpfully sources backgrounds, There's literally a Pirate background that's a variant on the Sailor background, but I don't think a Lawful Cleric of a goddess of Mercy would fit in with them... Charlatan has a listed personality trait that'd be hilarious for a Cleric to have, but sadly that falls under Trickery domain far better.

I'll just go with Sage and have fun being a moderately beefy nerd-priest.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 17, 2017, 10:03:38 AM »

"You're out of control, I'm taking you out of this crusade! Hand over your holy symbol and sword!"

Sooo, how about combined backstory? We graduated together from paladin academy but then you joined the army and I the navy, still end up meeting and working together from time to time, including now.

We're following different gods, though. Pretty certain I was a soldier first, paladin second, too. :p

Offline Versatility_Nut

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 17, 2017, 10:16:20 AM »
Well, I just got the background stuff dealt with. I went with Draconic and Sylvan for the two bonus languages off of Sage because I've got no clue what kinds of rare languages would be used by a ghost ship.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 17, 2017, 10:26:08 AM »
VNut, just play your character and have fun.  If having fun means being super paranoid because you seem to have PTSD from a previous DM so be it, but again this is a premade adventure.  Also, spontaneous combat is par for the course for these players.  You make me want to throw random encounters at you with this behavior, although that would involve a lot of work so it isn't happening unless it's already written in.

Just do not act aggressively towards other players.  Yes, casting Command is an aggressive action.  If you do that, I fully expect them to try to kill you, and succeed because there's only one of you.  Because you effectively mind raped them and forced them to behave how you want, completely taking away their self control.  That's a no-no.