Author Topic: Dead or alive...  (Read 2792 times)

Offline Tiltowait

• Honorary Mod
  • Werdna advances!
    • View Profile
Dead or alive...
« on: April 15, 2012, 06:55:02 PM »
The setting was stereotypical but the scene was not. The tavern was normally a place of jovial drinking, idle or not so idle boasting, and more than a few pointless scuffles. In this one though the mood was much more somber and subdued. Hardened men downed equally hardened drinks with their eyes down to themselves, hardly uttering a sound at all. Serving wenches went from table to table, yet no one flirted with them or attempted any untoward advances.

Just what was the cause of the somber mood? By the looks of it, it was the same as everywhere else in this small town. Supply train after supply train didn't make it, nor were the merchants, guards, and their entourages ever heard from again. The stores were running out. The handful of devoted priests could help stretch supplies but were far away from being able to replace them. Once the food was gone everyone was dead. And everyone knew their days were numbered. This was a town of walking dead men. They weren't about to sit there helplessly and crawl into the grave like mewling babes though, no. They were downcast, but not destroyed. The leadership had put out a call for aid... and that call had been answered. Unfortunately, all that has came of it so far is information.

A necromancer had taken up his unholy residence somewhere in the Blackwood Forest nearby. He and his minions were responsible for the constant attacks on those coming into or leaving the town, and those few fortunate enough to survive (or opportunistic enough to outrun their fellows) spoke of beasts turned rotting horrors, skeletons that walk like men and beasts and at night... even death itself would assail them. No one has actually seen this necromancer or located his lair or if they have, they haven't talked about it.

Pooling their resources, the wealthy and the leaders of this town put up a sizable reward. That could be seen from the poster on the wall. Wanted: Dead or Alive - the Blackwood Necromancer. 15,000 gold for him or proof of his death. A few have already attempted to collect the bounty out of greed, nobility, or those most high of all intentions - the sacred drunken bet. Not a one of them ever came back, should no one have managed to disavail them of those notions before they set out.

For the call of suffering people, of money, of fame, of glory, of power, or any other reason a few people were here now, having gathered from near and far.

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
Re: Dead or alive...
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 10:19:12 AM »
The poster had hung there for days, and Bhoom couldn't help but stare at it every time he went inside to get carrots for Stick.

Maybe it's time someone did something about this necromancer.  These poor people are suffering... I hope I can help.

He begins listening around for the next group talking about going into the woods, hoping to join them.
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline InnaBinder

• Legendary Member
  • Onna table
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 10:45:23 AM »
Shahin fidgeted restlessly, drumming her fingers at her own shoulder while she glanced again at the wanted poster.

Fifteen thousand is a lot of money, and the folks around here really are getting to feel hopeless with that necromancer about.  I wonder if anyone else cares enough, or is greedy enough, to try to help.

With that thought, she cast her eyes about the room, seeking another face fixated on the poster.
Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics.  Even if you win, you're still retarded.

shugenja handbook; talk about it here

Offline TSS

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 03:57:47 PM »
OOC: Roleplaying Thomas requires a certain state of mind... namely, a drunken one. This works out perfectly now. The top part is what he thinks is happening, the bottom part is what everyone else sees happening.

'This would not do!' Thomas thought, his arrival being heard well before it was seen. He whirled around and opened the door far louder than was necessary, striding in like a HERO. His eyes immediately flicked to the foul face of BLACK DEATH MAN, who would surely siphon everyone's life away one point at a time.

"THIS WOULD NOT DO!" he reiterated, this time vocalizing his thoughts for all to hear... much to their likely dismay.

He jabbed a gauntleted finger at the poster.

"THIS FIEND SHOULD BE BROUGHT TO JUSTICE!" he yelled, then froze there as if expecting something to happen.

The loud clanks of armor approaching could be heard from outside. The door slammed open and a man covered in metal armor with a gigantic shield strapped to his back and several different weapons around his waist stormed in. Someone mumbled something about Thomas the Touched, and a wave of chuckles came at his expense... which he seemed oblivious to. He looked at the poster, pointed at it, and immediately began babbling nonsense at the top of his lungs before pointing at it and freezing in place. This wasn't the first time he had done this, and each time no one cared any more than it took for them to snicker at him and make snide remarks behind his back. No one seemed to like him... and he didn't even know it.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 04:02:29 PM by TSS »
@ TSS
That's cute. I see you changed your mind about "Not WoW Tanks" after all. It's nice to see you started to like subpar concepts.

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 12:10:33 PM »
The mountain man approaches the armored figure, looking down on him with something akin to pity.

His voice is a surprisingly gentle rumble.  "The Dreamer says that too much fire-wine can make a man piss his years away."
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline TSS

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2012, 02:43:01 PM »
Usually, what happened now was he would hold the DRAMATIC POSE for several moments so as to draw in HEROES to bring BLACK DEATH MAN to justice. But none would come, and eventually it would register to his addled, disconnected mind that there were none here and he'd walk away dejected.

This time though, a ROLLING ROCK MAN approached him.

"Wine? This is no time for drunken antics, Black Death Man is running amok!" he yells, about thirty decibels louder than necessary. As he leans forward to glower at the poster again a mug hurled past the space where his head was a second ago, some of the drink splattering onto him as it flew past and clattered against the far well. Thomas looks up at the roof. "Look, the rain foreshadows another dark day. The good innkeeper cannot repair his roof with this miscreant about!"

Thomas blinked several times. There was something more important than carpentry work... Of course!

"Are you seeking Black Death Man as well? Then we must FORSOOTH!"

He did seem to be calming down... slowly, his voice dropping to a more normal volume.

The mountain man that had been inspecting the poster noticed the crazy man babbling about it and shot him a pitiful look, which he didn't seem to notice. He began yelling again, and one of the other patrons worked themselves out of their melancholic state long enough to hurl their drink at him in protest, but by some bizarre coincidence... or perhaps that he wasn't as unaware as he let on he moved at just the right moment to let it fly by. Then again, he did honestly seem to believe that the feeling of wetness came from a leaking roof rather than the errant projectile... Though his lovingly assigned moniker of Thomas the Touched seemed fitting, he did seem to mean well...
@ TSS
That's cute. I see you changed your mind about "Not WoW Tanks" after all. It's nice to see you started to like subpar concepts.

Offline xaotiq1

• I don't always play D&D. But when I do, it's 3.X!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2012, 04:56:21 PM »
Chloe watched the warriors, well, she was sure at least one of them was a warrior, look at the poster. That was a lot of scratch. And it would serve to brighten the mood around this place. This many depressed people made her itchy. She stretched as she rose from her chair and approached the two men.

So, you guys thinking what I'm thinking? Or are you just the entertainment?  :eh
"Love doesn't share itself with the world. Love is suspicious, love is needy. Love is fearful, love is greedy. My friends, there is no great love without great jealousy!"  Bender Bending Rodriguez