Author Topic: Chapter 1: A New Beginning  (Read 129097 times)

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter 1: A New Beginning
« Reply #140 on: September 27, 2016, 06:03:58 PM »
"Names Tom Corbin, out of Philadelphia.  I was sent to check on outlying towns.  Washington and the British have clashed at New York some days back, and the city is burning still."

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 27, 2016, 09:47:21 PM »
"That... doesn't bode well. We're dealing with the aftermath of something here, too. I was considering going to Philadelphia soon before the storm picked up.

I'm Constable Elizabeth Schumacher. Are you familiar with the sheriff from this town?"

My creations

Please direct moderation-related PMs to Forum Staff.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 28, 2016, 01:36:58 AM »
"Barnes? Aye.  He's the other reason I'm here.  We should have heard news from him by now, as he corresponds with us.  Is he here?"

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 28, 2016, 07:54:40 PM »
"No, he... died last night. We were told to come out your way for help if anything had happened."

Elizabeth makes sure everything is clear and comes outside, approaching Tom.

"Why are you looking for him?"

Sense Motive = 1d20+10
Rolled 1d20+10 : 13 + 10, total 23
My creations

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 30, 2016, 01:09:08 AM »
"Barnes..was our contact here, him being the Sheriff and all.  He knew the area well."

He ain't fibbin', but you get the impression he's trying to read you too.

"Who was his next in charge?"

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 01, 2016, 08:51:48 AM »
"There are three of us who were in charge under him. I've taken point on securing everyone for the night.

So, what is it you need? Did you run into anything strange on your way over here?"
My creations

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 02, 2016, 05:40:38 PM »
"Only unusual in that there's no one on the road between here and Philadelphia, and I've passed many an empty or gutted farm on the way here.  I'd assumed the British might be on the move, but now I'm not so sure.  What exactly happened here?  Indians?"

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 03, 2016, 08:53:50 PM »
"...Sort of. They're not from any of the nearby tribes. I'm not sure they're even...

They seem to attack under cover of darkness when there's chaos and confusion. While I tend to take legends and tales with a grain of salt, these attacks bear a striking resemblance to some tales I've heard. After the second attack last night, I had everyone go out in pairs getting everyone from remote buildings into town."

My creations

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 04, 2016, 06:29:05 PM »
"So it's spread this far already...you were right to bring everyone in.  You and I might need to have a private chat depending on how you answer the following: Is the prisoner still locked away?  I'm pretty sure you know which one I mean too."

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 04, 2016, 08:51:42 PM »
"No. The other two in charge and myself left early in the evening to investigate Barnes' murder, before the attacks started last night. We put our best men in charge of him with explicit instructions not to let him out or let any living thing into his cell. While we were out, he got away.

That being said, yes, I agree about the chat in private. I have a space we can use."

Elizabeth checks with her comrades to see if they want to be included or keep an eye on things here. She makes sure the other guards have the general order and peace under control. She's not planning on keeping the citizens all locked down at this point in the day, but everyone is strongly advised not to venture off without at least one other person with them. She wants the militia to stay together a bit longer until the outer buildings have been cleared.

To Tom, as they head to Elizabeth's place: "So... I'm assuming you have a bit of an idea about what is attacking? I don't fully understand the cause of it, but I know far more than most anyone in this town."
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 08:47:26 PM by RobbyPants »
My creations

Offline SolEiji

• Epic Member
  • I am 120% Eiji.
    • View Profile
    • D&D Wiki.org, not .com
« Reply #150 on: October 04, 2016, 09:21:49 PM »
Leon seemed somewhat relieved by Elizabeth's explaination of their opponent.  Cannibals.  Lunatics.  Murders.  Now this... this was something he understood.

"Well when you put it tha' way, it doesn't sound too bad."

Idly he wondered if their prisoner was one of them.  The way he seemed eager for random uncooked flesh was just the kind of debased madness he'd expect from a cannibal.  Right now, Liz had a good idea and he was going to follow through with it.  Bells were rung, people were rounded up, guards were at the ready.  And Leon was off helping.  It was his turn off the watch and he used it to sharpen and fiddle with his various tools, when there was word of an outsider approaching.  By the time he gets there this new person, one Tom Corbin, was talking to Elizabeth.

"What do you know about our prisoner?" he said, stepping in just in time to hear Tom mention if the prisoner was still locked away.  "And who might you be?"
Mudada.

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 05, 2016, 08:50:41 PM »
"Yes, the prisoner is locked up. The men watching him have been given explicit instructions not to let anything living pass into his... circle.

Also, yes: as Leon asked, what do you know of him?"

Elizabeth checks with her comrades to see if they want to be included or keep an eye on things here. She makes sure the other guards have the general order and peace under control. She's not planning on keeping the citizens all locked down at this point in the day, but everyone is strongly advised not to venture off without at least one other person with them. She wants the militia to stay together a bit longer until the outer buildings have been cleared.
My creations

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 06, 2016, 04:42:39 PM »
"I know there are a great many people who think he's the Devil himself, and they may not be too far wrong.  Are there plans to defend both him and the townsfolk?  We cannot afford to let him loose."

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 06, 2016, 09:11:49 PM »
"We're still working on that. The... thing that attacked Barnes went to an old farm a ways out from here, last night. I saw it, but didn't dare attack it. I might have a way to get rid of it...

I doubt that man is the devil. I don't believe in the devil, although I'm sure he knows far more than he lets on."
My creations

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 06, 2016, 11:55:05 PM »
He leans close to whisper "He is far less human than he appears..."

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 08, 2016, 08:41:10 AM »
Quietly back:

"That doesn't surprise me. I didn't construct the circle he's in, but I understand the gist of it. He keeps trying to get us to feed him live animals, which I think is a trick to break it.

Do you know where he came from or how Barnes got him?"
My creations

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 08, 2016, 05:14:49 PM »
"Yes, but I'm not going to talk about that where there may be ears listening."

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 09, 2016, 07:00:02 AM »
Elizabeth suggests going to her house and checks to see if Leon wants to come.
My creations

Offline SolEiji

• Epic Member
  • I am 120% Eiji.
    • View Profile
    • D&D Wiki.org, not .com
« Reply #158 on: October 12, 2016, 08:28:23 PM »
He nods sagely.  "Agreed, let's be on our way."  He wondered about Elizabeth's theory here, that feeding him live animals would lead to his escape.  It was absurd, but... well, he couldn't put anything past this man right now.
Mudada.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 14, 2016, 04:48:51 PM »
After giving the other constables directions you get to your house without incident, though dark is beginning to fall.  Feel free to question away.