Author Topic: Videogame Discussion III - Snake Eater  (Read 236837 times)

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
Re: Videogame Discussion III - Snake Eater
« Reply #180 on: March 29, 2016, 11:13:08 PM »
It still feeds money back to complete idiots. Especially if 'we have an active real-time tactical battle game with grand strategy elements' somehow linked in their minds to 'lost model sales'. It's not like they've been reluctant to make 40k games, so how the HELL did that logic come up?

I might buy it down the line when it's on sale and the price crashes, I guess, but I'm not sinking new-Total War money into this insanity.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #181 on: March 30, 2016, 01:45:44 AM »
I'll also be waiting for a steam promotion and the inevitable bug-patching, but I'll be looking for people's reviews and checking how the mechanics work.

The thing with the Dawn of War games was that they could create a new chapter and heroes/villains from scratch. You're not campaigning with Magnus Calgar leading the ultrasmurfs first company against Abaddon's terminator chosen in Cadia. You're playing as some never heard before captain from the blood magpies chapter against ork warboss #1871 in some random planet. It's more of an intro to 40K than anything close to participating in the main storyline.

But in Total Warhammer you will actually be able to play with the top characters of the setting like Karl Franz and Thorgrim and Grimgor and Mannfred.

On the other hand, Chaos is either pre-order or DLC, FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUU-

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: March 31, 2016, 08:48:23 PM »
So I just realized the bundled Oceanhorn included a new island, I have three crystal skulls left to find.  :D

Less of a video game deal, I decided to check Batman v Superman figures. In the US it cleared 160mil for opening weekend, internationally through they are calling it a success as it takes 4th place on the list at 420mil which is almost 25mil more than the Avengers films. It's decline in Friday-to-Saturday ticket prices fell faster than the Fantastic Four films, all of them, as people decided it was a matinee film which also led it to breaking Monday records too.

It's proof you can slap Batman's name on it and make some cash.

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #183 on: April 01, 2016, 09:19:44 AM »
(click to show/hide)

Why didn't i notice it before? Skyrim never ceases to impress, even years after it was released.
"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: April 02, 2016, 03:10:59 PM »
Nan will probably be happy, I like Shadowrun: Dragonfall so far. I've barely made any progression in it through, maybe third mission in. It's just as time consuming as I knew it'd be.

I mean it's not perfect.
(click to show/hide)

Offline Nunkuruji

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I shall bring great terror
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 05, 2016, 03:38:51 PM »
(click to show/hide)

Why didn't i notice it before? Skyrim never ceases to impress, even years after it was released.

There's a modder or two out there who's made some pretty cool stuff with the same design principle.

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
  • Trapped on another Earth that isn't home
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: April 17, 2016, 03:11:49 PM »

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: April 21, 2016, 04:23:38 PM »
Pelor damned flubbervomit fishfaced festering pile of zombified fannychimps Facebook games and this retardedly stupid intelligence raping waste of perfectly good air generation of greedy asshats.  :shakefist

So, in other news MTG:PQ patched today. When I first joined both optional objectives in story mode offered the pay-shards, you could spend 200 free-shards for the crappy packs of 3 almost-always-common cards, and Quick Battle offered tons of bonuses. In the first major patch they dropped pay-shard rewards in Quick Battle to about half of what they were, cut pay-shard payout for optional objectives down to one only, and cut buying the uber lame card packs to once per eight frigging hours.

Now today they patched again. Instead of being bracketed in groups of 512 people I'm bracketed into a group of 1024, essentially if 10,000 people are playing your game and you're handing twenty top-level rewards but if you double the people up by adjusting the brackets it drops to ten for even less rewards handed out every three days. They also added two new Planeswalkers but unlike the rest which cost 10 pay-shards they directly cost $14.99 per. Oh, and I had over 600 shards saved up from the last three months so I picked up the x14 megapack of the new cards and not one freakin mythic obtained. I guess they want you to blow $50 bucks (seriously, the $20 option only buys 500 shards) multiple times. :banghead

It's cheaper to buy the actual cards than to play their game now. If this keeps up, they'll probably charge a six hundred dollar connection fee per game by next year.[/rant]
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 04:37:57 PM by SorO_Lost »

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #188 on: April 22, 2016, 01:12:46 PM »
I was just talking to my cousin about how Magic became a REALLY expensive hobby. I mean, it was never really a cheap hobby, but nowadays you have to have a LOT of disposable income if you want in on the hobby. Sad to see that it also applies to the official computer games... I still remember that Magic game for the PS1. Good times.

At least we still sort of got Magic Workstation & Cockatrice. Been meaning to get back into the game.
"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: April 22, 2016, 07:58:37 PM »
I was just talking to my cousin about how Magic became a REALLY expensive hobby. I mean, it was never really a cheap hobby, but nowadays you have to have a LOT of disposable income if you want in on the hobby. Sad to see that it also applies to the official computer games... I still remember that Magic game for the PS1. Good times.

At least we still sort of got Magic Workstation & Cockatrice. Been meaning to get back into the game.

That really only applies if you're going to play in standard which rotates and so you have to keep buying, where as the other formats depending on what your planning can range from buying a car cost (legacy) to fifty dollars (commander) to buy in and keep playing.

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #190 on: April 23, 2016, 11:58:16 AM »
Therein lies the problem. The two formats i'm most interested in playing in are Modern and Legacy, and in both, the entry costs are pretty steep. I do like Standard, but not nearly as much as i like eternal formats. To get back in the game, coming from a point where you have no cards at all, i'd have to buy-in at a pretty steep cost. Even a pretty inexpensive legacy deck would set me back a pretty penny, at least a couple hundred dollars (remembering the dollar is 3,50 Reais), and a modern one at least as much, and then i'd have to drop about another couple hundred dollars each month for a few months buying boosters, fat packs and getting my feet wet in FNM's.

Sure, once i reestablished myself with a sizeable amount of cards to trade & resell, i could estabilize and not need to keep dropping in cash every month just to keep up.

The entry barrier is what's stopping me. I mean, sure, i don't need to go all-in like that, and i can just play drafts at FNM's until i manage to get a few cards, but even that cost is pretty steep to me as it is. Once i get a stable job with disposable income, i can see myself getting back into it, but as it stands... Too expensive, and i can get at least a little bit of the fun by playing online through Workstation or Cockatrice.

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: April 23, 2016, 07:27:51 PM »
yeah, I play commander due to it's lower entry cost and easier cost to keep up todate. The only issue is the mana base, I currently have a good mana base for only one  good multicolor deck, as I get closer to no longer being in college and not having the pell grant money I'm going to start doing stuff to fix that,along with my computer.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #192 on: April 27, 2016, 10:44:26 PM »
Well Nintendo announced that their next console, the Nintendo NX, will be releasing next March.

And Zelda U gets delayed again so it will be a simultaneous release for it and the Wii U.

And for some reason this E3 they'll be showing off Zelda U in a playable state, but not any NX details. :psyduck

Somewhat mixed feelings about this. Nintendo ended up maintaining the Wii U for 5 years, but now they're moving on to their next console without a proper independent Zelda title being finished. And we still hardly know anything about the NX.

On the other hand, Zelda Twilight Princess also was released for the Wii and Gamecube simultaneously and things turned pretty great with that, so who knows.

Wii U should remain in production until 2018 though.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 10:52:11 PM by oslecamo »

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
  • The dice are trying to kill me
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: April 27, 2016, 11:17:50 PM »
And for some reason this E3 they'll be showing off Zelda U in a playable state, but not any NX details. :psyduck

Nintendo hasn't really had much of an E3 presence for the last couple of years.  My bet is that they talk more about the NX during their Nintendo Direct in June or possibly in the fall.  The article only said "not at E3," which doesn't really mean much.

Re:  MtG computer game - I haven't tried it yet, but I've heard good things about Hex Shards of Fate.  It's supposed to be very much like MtG, to the point of a lawsuit forcing them to alter a few elements.  Maybe worth a shot?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 11:20:49 PM by linklord231 »
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.

Offline Shadowhunter

• E6/E8 fanboy.
    • View Profile
    • The additional vestige collection for all you Binder players out there.
« Reply #194 on: April 30, 2016, 12:04:55 AM »
Playing Perandus league in Path of Exile. First time playing a temporary league.

Both a Tabula Rasa and a Goldrim drops for me before entering Cruel. Neat stuff  :cool

:shakefist

Don't worry, Karma has been balanced out. I just bricked my Tabula into a shitty rare with a Vaal Orb, at least I could sell it for an augment since it had 6 properties.

If you wonder why the hell I Vaal'd it, it was simple: I needed to use a Vaal Orb to unlock the cosmetic I was trying to get before the league ended. Well, I didn't really need to do that, I could have tried for another challenge. Or just use it on another item. But no, had to risk it for the succulent chance I'd get a +1 to gems tabula. Had to buy a cheap 5-link so that I can continue playing my character :rolleyes
Third time I vaal a tabula, this is the first time it bricks. I even thought it was gonna happen. Twice. Then I did it anyway :lmao

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: April 30, 2016, 12:49:51 AM »
I pretty much stopped using Vaal orbs altogether, but I also haven't played in a while.

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: April 30, 2016, 07:32:25 AM »
It looks like the next CoD will be announced soon along with a remaster version of Modern Warfare.....

http://screenrant.com/call-of-duty-infinite-warfare-details/

and speaking of shooters looks like BAttlefield five will be formally announced next week as well http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/04/29/battlefield-5-will-be-revealed-next-week

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 30, 2016, 12:37:58 PM »
It's cheaper to buy the actual cards than to play their game now. If this keeps up, they'll probably charge a six hundred dollar connection fee per game by next year.[/rant]
We're one step closer to that.
(click to show/hide)

yeah, I play commander due to it's lower entry cost and easier cost to keep up todate. The only issue is the mana base, I currently have a good mana base for only one  good multicolor deck, as I get closer to no longer being in college and not having the pell grant money I'm going to start doing stuff to fix that,along with my computer.
Commander mana is actually pretty easy giving the game's low expectations and longer duration of play. You don't need expensive lands plus with the limit of 1/each it's not like the guy that paid 80 bucks for a classic dual gained a huge advantage.

Sure, once i reestablished myself with a sizeable amount of cards to trade & resell, i could estabilize and not need to keep dropping in cash every month just to keep up.
Yeah by keeping up with the cycles you can sell/trade off the cards just before they start cycling out to buy the newer ones. You get an ever renewing set of cards to play with while mitigating costs which is pretty nice, but it's expensive as crap when a broken card gets printed (like the uber jace card).

And Zelda U gets delayed again so it will be a simultaneous release for it and the Wii U.
That's almost fine with me. I have plans to skip buying the Wii U entirely, it's dual release can help with that.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 01:00:04 PM by SorO_Lost »

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: April 30, 2016, 07:06:11 PM »

Commander mana is actually pretty easy giving the game's low expectations and longer duration of play. You don't need expensive lands plus with the limit of 1/each it's not like the guy that paid 80 bucks for a classic dual gained a huge advantage.

depending on what decks you plan to play along with how many you want, like i said i'm only able to have one multicolored deck and a monocolor deck at one time,if i want more it would be wise for me to at least get a set of fetches and shocks, I can do without the dual lands.

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: May 01, 2016, 12:22:52 AM »
I just realized that we'll get another Elder Scrolls game before Half life 3 and I don't know if i should laugh or cry....