Author Topic: Raising a God?  (Read 2882 times)

Offline Necrosnoop110

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
Raising a God?
« on: November 25, 2011, 09:36:06 AM »
Homebrewed
D&D 3.5

Ok, the PCs have finally rescued one of my campaign's gods in mortal form. Anyone got any cool suggestions for some sort of ceremony, quest, or other action to release the god from mortal form? In my game this good god has fallen and the PCs want to release him from his mortal form back into the heavens. Looking for something cooler than "dispel magic" or something simple like that. Wouldn't mind it costing the group something dear.

Thanks,
Necro
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 10:22:51 AM by Necrosnoop110 »

Offline betrayor

• Monitoring...
    • View Profile
Re: Raising a God?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 11:29:15 AM »
One cool idea that we used in one campaign is that he had to be slayed by an extremely holy artifact.....
I think it was like a holy avenger but in artifact form.......
And the sword disappeared in a massive explosion along with the deity and the people who were around.....

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 11:46:01 AM »
Make it go trough a pilgrimage and gather lots of followers. Altough that may be just me, I see the power of a god mainly coming from worship.

Offline betrayor

• Monitoring...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 11:53:50 AM »
Make it go trough a pilgrimage and gather lots of followers. Altough that may be just me, I see the power of a god mainly coming from worship.
Boccob the Uncaring begs to differ.....
Though I think it depends on the campaign setting....
In some of them the power comes directly from the followers,in some others the power is indepedent from the followers and in the end you can have a mix where a god has its own power but it can be augmented by its followers...

Offline veekie

• Spinner of Fortunes
  • Epic Member
  • Chaos Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2011, 02:30:04 PM »
Take a leaf from chinese mythology, the god must undergo quests that define his divine self so much he busts out of the mortal husk and retakes his place in the pantheon.

Generally its basically demonstrating to the universe that he is the one most suited to his portfolio, even without divinity, that it goes back to him.
Everything is edible. Just that there are things only edible once per lifetime.
It's a god-eat-god world.

Procrastination is the thief of time; Year after year it steals, till all are fled,
And to the mercies of a moment leaves; The vast concerns of an eternal scene.

Offline Halinn

• Legendary Member
  • My personal text is impersonal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2011, 05:20:08 PM »
Take a leaf from chinese mythology, the god must undergo quests that define his divine self so much he busts out of the mortal husk and retakes his place in the pantheon.

Generally its basically demonstrating to the universe that he is the one most suited to his portfolio, even without divinity, that it goes back to him.

If that's how one were to do things, would a god be replaced if a mortal showed him-/her-/itself to be better suited for the portfolio?

Offline altpersona

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
    • You are here
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2011, 05:22:34 PM »
throw him in a volcano [unless you have something more suiting to his portfolio]
The goal of power is power. - 1984
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow
The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga still sux.

Offline veekie

• Spinner of Fortunes
  • Epic Member
  • Chaos Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2011, 10:16:40 AM »

If that's how one were to do things, would a god be replaced if a mortal showed him-/her-/itself to be better suited for the portfolio?
Thats how it works if the position is vacant, and also how a good bunch of gods got elevated in the first place. Otherwise barring deposing the current title holder, they're just going to be candidates for replacement.
Everything is edible. Just that there are things only edible once per lifetime.
It's a god-eat-god world.

Procrastination is the thief of time; Year after year it steals, till all are fled,
And to the mercies of a moment leaves; The vast concerns of an eternal scene.